GM can't favorite player's character

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 14, 2018 5:09 pm
Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm relatively new to the site and there doesn't seem to be a search function (or I can't seem to find it). We're about to begin a PbP campaign and I've noticed that as a GM I have edit privileges of each character but cannot favorite them even after they've added the sheet to the library. Is this deliberate design or something overlooked? If the former, seems somewhat odd design choice to me but, perhaps there's a good reason for it. In any case, if the latter I guess this thread can serve as a feature request.
Last edited August 14, 2018 5:09 pm
Aug 14, 2018 5:29 pm
Nah, search doesn't exist yet, as creating search that wouldn't bog the site down is beyond my current skill set unfortunately. And I just realized that someone with edit privileges can't favorite a sheet... this was a oversight in design. It'd be hard to add that into the current site design, but as I redo the character sheets, I'll make sure this is corrected.
Aug 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Thanks for the prompt response! I just read my post again and I think I may have come off grumpy. That was totally not my intention.

BTW, is this site open source?
Aug 14, 2018 5:36 pm
If you're interested in being able to quickly find the character sheets for your game, you should be able to access them through your Game Details page once they're submitted.
Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm
Oh I have no problems quickly accessing characters. It seems you can also click on character's avatar (which is great feature). I was thinking in terms of posterity.
Aug 14, 2018 5:39 pm
Exactly what I was going to say. Once a player is accepted, they should go back and apply their character (which, IMO, should be part of the application process so a GM can see the PC being applied with).

Once there, the GM can see them all as clickable links.
Aug 14, 2018 5:43 pm
twotonkatrucks says:
Thanks for the prompt response! I just read my post again and I think I may have come off grumpy. That was totally not my intention.
Didn't read it as such, heh.
twotonkatrucks says:
BTW, is this site open source?
Yup.
Ket_Onwall says:
Exactly what I was going to say. Once a player is accepted, they should go back and apply their character (which, IMO, should be part of the application process so a GM can see the PC being applied with).
Separating players and characters from the approval process was an explicit design choice, to allow more flexibility in game play. This way, for example, you could add another GM, who doesn't have a character. You could allow players to join based on character concepts, then have a thread to discuss character creation. You could have a game sans characters at all! I wanted to separate the player from the character, so that you could interact with each in different ways, so that you could connect with each in different ways.
Aug 14, 2018 5:45 pm
Ket_Onwall says:
I think character creation is best done once you have pool of players so they can discuss amongst each other what roles to fill.
Ket_Onwall says:
Once there, the GM can see them all as clickable links.
Yep, this is true. Functionally, GM doesn't really have to have the favorite function if the purpose of the function is solely for easy access during gaming. But, I think favoriting could also serve as maintaining a personal library of characters. Perhaps, you might one day want to use some of them as NPCs in another campaign.
Last edited August 14, 2018 5:45 pm
Aug 14, 2018 5:48 pm
Keleth says:

Separating players and characters from the approval process was an explicit design choice, to allow more flexibility in game play. This way, for example, you could add another GM, who doesn't have a character. You could allow players to join based on character concepts, then have a thread to discuss character creation. You could have a game sans characters at all! I wanted to separate the player from the character, so that you could interact with each in different ways, so that you could connect with each in different ways.
And to add, players could have more than one character (such as for a companion/sidekick) when appropriate.
Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm
Though with this discussion, maybe a "nice to have" feature would be allowing a GM to require a character on requesting to join a game, but not have that be the default.
Aug 14, 2018 6:15 pm
Keleth says:
Though with this discussion, maybe a "nice to have" feature would be allowing a GM to require a character on requesting to join a game, but not have that be the default.
A middleground would be to have a probationary membership status of a game, and:
- not counting probies when showing whether a game is full
- potentially restricting probies access outside of certain in-game forums
- requiring some kind of ritual hazing documented online.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.