Lord of the Horses

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 29, 2018 5:00 am
The main concept I'm toying with is essentially a higher powered stable manager, one that might help manage horses and breeding stock for much of the area. Think of him as an entrepreneur in the horse-breeding, stabling, and training arenas. His focus is to ensure that the conversations regarding this new "Queen" don't overshadow the threat to the military might and safety of the house. I love the idea of us being with the same house, keeps the party on at least a similar-interests path. The horses are the staple of the military might that protects the people of our shared house, and it's critical they be protected.

I like the idea of him coming up through the military and being somewhat of a cavalryman himself, though I have not done much for the Lifepath route, more checking proof of concept first. Obviously, I liked the idea of the plague being a "distraction" from the "main issue" at hand, which is this new Queen of the Horse Lords. My character would ingratiate himself with whomever would listen to him about the horses, all the while being ready for this conqueror.

Here's what I have in mind for Big Picture and Starting Situation Beliefs.

Big Picture
The plague is real that torments my horses, I must not let the issue be overshadowed by the presence of this Queen.

Starting Situation
Amid the chaos, I lend my voice to the beasts that have no voice at this council, as they are the strength of our army, and thus our land.
Aug 29, 2018 6:56 pm
Those are both great starting points. But to have a functioning Belief (ie a Belief that will earn you Artha), you need to have a clearly defined "action item" associated with it.

Take the BP Belief: how might She overshadow the plague? Maybe you're afraid, or already seeing, Hold-resources being diverted to a welcoming ceremony and a symbolic military parade? Well then your action item might be "I must convince the rank-and-file soldiers to boycott this military parade."

Or whatever you envision the Queen doing (or not doing) that could threaten the Herds, create an action item - and thereby an in-game reality - that describes exactly what you must do to prevent this Overshadowing from happening.

Your S.S. Belief needs a bit more work. There's presently no real definition with regards to what is at stake for your PC. Yes, you've stated you speak for the Herd, but you've got to put some "skin in the game", you need to create a specific outcome that you either do or do not want from the whole succession. Maybe one candidate is more pro-Herd or anti-Herd than the other(s). OR if you don't want your PC to be overly political, maybe one of the candidates owes you something BIG, or you owe a candidate something BIG, or maybe - although you fear the Queen's arrival may overshadow the plague - you believe the Horse Lords should go back to the Old Ways, and have just one ruler (maybe you believe the plague is a curse brought on by your ancestors for abandoning the Old Ways?), and so you want to subvert the succession entirely?

Just trying to give examples...

Basically, how can you make that general philosophy - speaking for the voiceless - be something that is of immediate consequence?
Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm
emsquared says:

... fear the Queen's arrival may overshadow the plague - you believe the Horse Lords should go back to the Old Ways, and have just one ruler (maybe you believe the plague is a curse brought on by your ancestors for abandoning the Old Ways?), and so you want to subvert the succession entirely.
I really like this. I will think more on it and revamp. Thanks for the guidance.
Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm
Big Picture: The Queen represents a return to the Old Ways; I will convince the House of her legitimacy.

SS: The plague is a curse for departing from our traditions and splitting into Houses; I must bring back the old ways to stop the diminishment of our country's might.
Aug 31, 2018 8:56 pm
I wanted to let you know that I think I?m changing my character concept. I like the idea of speaking for the horses that can?t speak for themselves, and I like the idea of the old ways coming back? I?m almost thinking about a priest style character that is more of a follower of the old ways, who feels all of this succession is distracting from the plague. kind of looking at it as a punishment from the old gods or something.

Thinking about the big picture belief that centers around being a servant of the old ways, trying to make people see the folly of their ways, actions surrounding convincing them to be more adhering to the old ways. I?m trying not to focus on the succession, because I really like the idea of the plague detracting from the military might that detracts from the ability to withstand the conqueror that?s eminent. Essentially, I want to be the voice of reason saying there are other issues that should be taken into consideration not just who will inherit some stupid crown.

I think maybe I?m also not understanding the starting situation belief. Trying to define our urgency with the military strength of the cavalry and horses, so possibly being an advisor that is trying to get everyone either to a decision or at least to empower a group to figure out what?s happening with the plague. In reading all the past information I?m not quite sure Exactly where this is heading as a game, Court intrigue, investigating a plague, or resisting a conqueror. Maybe I?m just trying to reconcile that. It may help me narrow down my concept.

I?m looking at trying to end up in the Noble Court subsetting, Priest, court advisor, something similar there. I do like the idea of having come up through the military, possibly noble born knight then something there. Maybe chaplain and court priest. Thoughts?
Aug 31, 2018 11:16 pm
All good. I was thinking of offering for you to do so, considering the spirit of the Character Burning session. I'm happy to have it here. Now... I think I'm dong a little better on the two beliefs that are above. A little closer, but no real "High Concept" dialed in yet, more just in motivations and personality here.

Big Picture: The Queen represents a return to the Old Ways; I will convince the House of her legitimacy.

SS: The plague is a curse for departing from our traditions and splitting into Houses; I must bring back the old ways to stop the diminishing of our country's might by re-instituting the Ritual Hunt.
Last edited August 31, 2018 11:17 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.