NFC tags: do you use them, and for what?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 3, 2015 8:17 pm
Two days ago, I received a bunch of NFC tags I ordered last week. I'd been talking with a coworker a few weeks back about how I could get some settings to change when I get into my car (change my screen timeout, activate bluetooth, turn on screen rotation), and the conversation went to NFC.

For those of you who don't know what NFC is, it stands for Near Field Communication, a technology becoming popular with cellphones today. Its how phones can be used to make payments (like Apple Pay or Google Wallet). Imagine if you had Bluetooth speakers that you want to connect to your phone. You could activate your phone's Bluetooth, wait for it to scan, connect, enter your connection code, and finally use it. Or with NFC, the manufacturer could install a NFC tag which does all of that for you.

At recommendation, I downloaded the Trigger app and Google Opinion (its an app that gives you Play Store credit for doing surveys every few days; its worth picking up if you're using Android devices). I'm gonna be getting Tasker. So far, I've setup two tags: one on a keychain to toggle my phone between vibrate and sound (thanks Samsung, for removing that feature from Lollypop), and one on a sticker at work to toggle my WiFi. Unfortunately, from what I'm told, you need to have your phone unlocked to allow NFC to work unless you've rooted your phone.

So... any of you use NFC tags? What do you have it set up to do?
Oct 16, 2015 6:35 am
Have you checked out XDA-developers.com about this? I'm sure someone over there has some app/software/code that you can build off of. I am actually really excited for the near future of things like bluetooth + NFC. Like walking away from your front door and it automatically locks the deadbolt? or the thermostat turns down? Could be so many things.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.