Help me brainstorm a FATE weekend!

Sep 4, 2015 4:44 pm
Hey GP, hoping some of you might be willing to throw me some ideas for a one off FATE session I'm planning this weekend. Thinking about something sci-fi ish, like Stargate, as it would allow for a nice tidy wrap up after the 'mission' is completed.This would also possibly allow for more than one mission to be played this long weekend.

Anyone have memorable experiences they'd be willing to share? or just fun plot twists that work on a short time frame?

THANK YOU.
Sep 4, 2015 5:31 pm
One time, running a SpaceMaster game, I had the characters driving along a highway (in a hover car, of course) when the driver was shot and killed by a sniper. This came about because I used to occasionally drop a D100 and if I rolled a 05 or less, I would institute a "random GM event" that would derail my own plot.

Anyway, making it up as I went, the PCs identified the sniper's location, and this lead the PCs on a chase where they found terrorists with a fusion weapon who had been waiting for a negotiator, and who they wanted to kill outright as a strong opening bargaining position. Later, after a running, multi-story firefight with the terrorists, they found evidence that tied back to the CEO of the Barium Deep Mining Company who was bankrolling a clandestine attempt at corporate sabotage of a rival.
Last edited September 4, 2015 5:31 pm
Sep 4, 2015 6:50 pm
Depending on what you want to do, the first I thought of is a sci-fi influenced superhero setting called Strikeforce: Morituri from Marvel. You can read the wikipedia here => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce:_Morituri The setting is a alien force attacks Earth, a scientist finds a way to graft super-powers on to humans after increasing their basic body structure, but the powers burn out the body within a year. Later there were some "heroes" that lasted longer. All the strikeforce had to go through a process to make sure they could take on the graft that gave them their powers. Additionally the military at some point took the scientist's protege and tried to speed up the process making monsters in the process. I could definitely see one of the strikeforce becoming a "stargate" the others used their portals to strike against the aliens.
Sep 6, 2015 3:27 pm
This may be too late already, as the weekend is half over now. But I'll still bite.

One shots tend to be about action: a particular task or set of tasks that need to be completed in a set amount of time. There's a murderer to identify and catch, there's a kidnapping, there's a bomb set to go off, there's a cruise ship to escape. So you need a reason for the time to be limited, and you need a specific task for the PCs to accomplish.

Stargate, huh? The gates are failing, for some reason, and they know that this particular gate can only be open for a set amount of game time (or you could do real-time, if you want to be extra stressful). Perhaps a device has been created that automatically locates and then permanently destroys/disables gates after they're opened? The NPCs, through adventurers that have come before, have determined that the device has been set up behind this one gate, and so the PCs are being sent to find this device and destroy it before all gate travel is eliminated (and also before they are stranded on the other side of the gate, too).

You do not have permission to post in this thread.