Mafia (the game)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 8, 2015 7:20 pm
Yes, I mean the game, not the perfectly legal group of honest businessmen... (that's how you ask a don for a favor, right?).

So, do any of you guys play? Mafia is a game that my family plays at "reunions" when we have some 15-20 of us together. These days, a group of friends play video Mafia each Tuesday (usually starting at like 8-8:30 ET). Last week, I tried streaming it on Twitch (http://twitch.tv/GamersPlane), with mixed results I think. However, if you wanna see a group of friends carefully analyze each other and overthink slight queues that could potentially fracture their bonds, we should be playing again tonight. I've also been considering setting up a donation system with rewards like on Pateron (but run myself, so less of your donation would go to not me), and maybe making one of the reward levels the ability to join us on games for that month. In fact, I'm working on a site to help with video Mafia, to assign roles, handle votes, chat, etc. But obviously, its a back seat to GP development. Does that interest anyone?

On a forum I used to visit, forum Mafia (with occasional games of Werewolf) was super popular; it was crazy to see what people pulled out as tells and how often they were right about it. I've been considering setting up a forum for it here.

So, do you play Mafia? Interested?
Sep 8, 2015 7:21 pm
Reserving for details about how to play Mafia.
Sep 18, 2015 9:32 am
Oh wow, I somehow failed to spot this thread but I used to be big into Mafia! After playing a lot of standard games the forum I was part of began to have more and more ridiculous scenarios with dozens of unique powers and roles, it was a lot of fun and I'd be very interested in seeing it to come to GP some day
Sep 18, 2015 1:38 pm
Hey, I'm ready to set up the forum as soon as people are ready to play. That said, until I can get my support page up, my friends and I are looking for more players of Video Mafia, Tuesdays, starting from usually 8:30-9 till midnight. Only requirements are you must have a webcam, speak English well, and be ok with being streamed.
Sep 18, 2015 5:10 pm
Dang, right now I'm not in a position to do that unfortunately plus I'm in the UK and I'm not sure how the timezone would work out, but I'd definitely be interested if the offer is still open a couple of months down the line!
Sep 18, 2015 5:26 pm
As in the OP, if people are interested, I'd love to setup a cycling GP Mafia game. Right now, my friends and I are playing, which means we have enough for a game (7 minimum) and more are great (I'm on the US East Coast, so EST). If we get a bunch of GP players going, we can try to setup something on weekends, so time zones are easier to work with.
Feb 8, 2016 9:50 pm
I'm gonna bump this for video Mafia!
Mar 23, 2016 1:06 am
As the owner of this site, I hereby necro this thread! If anyone wants to join some games of video mafia, let me know! We'll teach you if you're interested but haven't played!
Jul 30, 2016 8:41 pm
As my friends and I are looking at starting up Mafia again, another call if anyone is interested in joining us!
Sep 8, 2016 1:21 pm
And again, having the necromantic powers, anyone interested in watching/learning/trying out Mafia? A social game of discovery and deception! We're looking at Wednesdays at 9/9:30 EST.
Sep 8, 2016 1:23 pm
I love Mafia, but timezone differences.... I mean we are currently in the same day but my Friday starts in half an hour...
Sep 8, 2016 1:29 pm
Genisisect says:
I love Mafia, but timezone differences.... I mean we are currently in the same day but my Friday starts in half an hour...
If there was sufficient interest on GP, I'd be willing to try to setup something on an occasional weekend.
Oct 12, 2016 5:53 am
I've played mafia a good few times! It's a blast, buuuut... that's a game that can ruin some friendships.

In a similar vein, Secret Hitler is pretty great, if you've ever heard of it.

But in short, yes, I'd be up for playing in or running one!
Last edited October 12, 2016 5:54 am
Oct 12, 2016 11:41 am
Secret Hitler is fun. I've only a few games of it, and maybe I need more to see it, but I think the game balance is off though.

That aside, we MAY be playing a game of Mafia tonight; I'll update as soon as I know. We've never played intensely enough to lose friendships over though... that would be Diplomacy here. Diplomacy is the friendship killer.
Oct 13, 2016 2:01 am
So we are playing Mafia, right now, if anyone is interested in joining us. You'd need to download Zoom, a VOIP software, and need to have a webcam/mic. If you're not free right now, we're trying to be consistent, Wednesdays at 9PM EST. If you're interested, email me or PM me.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.