ISO like minded individuals for game of Microscope

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 1, 2018 12:33 pm
I'd like to host a game of Microscope (lamemage.com). No experience is necessary, but please understand this is not your average game of D&D. This is a collaborative storytelling RPG of Epic Histories. We'll agree on an overall story seed and tone for the game and this it's cage match rules as we tell legends that span across decades, centuries or even millenia. Not looking for any players who like to default to 'gonzo' styles of play. This game isn't Hack n' slash, it's more of a writing exercise. Graphics will be handled on another platform, but all discussions will be here. Please PM if interested.
Oct 1, 2018 9:09 pm
I've never heard of this game but after visiting the weblink am interested. How long does the game last (typically)?
Last edited October 1, 2018 9:09 pm
Oct 1, 2018 9:41 pm
With each player getting a turn, and each turn taking 1-2 days, I would say probably 2-3 weeks but it potentially could just keep going. I think my plan is to check in with all players after every round and get group consensus.
Oct 1, 2018 9:47 pm
We attempted to play this IRL, but didn't get very far (two of us didn't sell it well enough to the other two). PBP has some interesting advantages (writing histories are automatic), some challenges (the RP elements will take significant time), and some things to puzzle out how to do (tracking the eras, inserting new scenes between others) that would be handled differently than index cards on a table.

I suppose my interest would be contingent on the outcome of some of those discussions.
Oct 1, 2018 9:55 pm
I plan on using another websites sharable document to track Periods, Scenes, and Events. The Scenes can be handled like your average PbP session, players taking turns describing how their character interacts with the scene. I will be very active in facilitating and teaching the game, I have lots of free time in the day. If participants have any feedback about improving our game I am very open.
Unfortunately, in my experience the best way to sell this game is to not. It is not a game of character development or conflict resolution. No die rolls, no resource management, no monty haul dungeon crawling. I am looking for players who have genuine interest in Microscope for what it is.
Every player has equal control and authorship of the story, so you will find the theme of the game you started will shift rapidly. Influencing others in their decisions is against the game rules, I believe PbP will benefit this aspect of the game.
Last edited October 1, 2018 10:05 pm
Oct 1, 2018 11:07 pm
I played this about a year ago. Super fun. I am in.
Oct 2, 2018 3:06 pm
I'm game to give this a shot -- always eager to find opportunities to improve my writing and test my imagination.
Oct 3, 2018 12:10 am
I've taken a look at Trello and it looks like the best method for us to track the game outside of the forums. players can add cards and rearrange them as appropriate. They'll be used to track the main timeline, with just titles and such, the details will be in the Forum posts.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.