Star Wars rpg starter game interest

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 12, 2018 12:35 pm
I am new to play by post and GP have little operational experience running games.

That disclaimer aside, I have developed a scenario which follows and then expands on the key points of the starter sets from the fantasy flight games starter sets. My intention is to introduce the basic game mechanics in the first couple of encounters to help build mastery and then introduce some of the riskier or more complex rules of the system in a safe way. I intend it to be an edge of empire based game but can easily be converted to an age of rebellion style.

I had intended for people to build their own characters prior to starting the game but I can also generate characters if desired.

If you have any questions or are interested I will check this thread at least once a day. I'll keep it first come first serve but will likely launch a second game if there's sufficient interest and I feel that I can spare the extra time.

The game may at the player's choice be continued beyond the initial planned scenarios.
Oct 12, 2018 12:50 pm
I'm definitely interested. I have never played Star Wars before but I have read the rules.
Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm
I'd love to play. I have some experience with the system.
Oct 12, 2018 5:56 pm
I'm definitely interested, but I also havea pretty full plate right now. So maybe I'll defer unless you can't otherwise find enough players?

Also, I have years of experience with the system (including having GMed and played in a few here in GP) so if you're looking to run the beginner game for beginners, that would disqualify me...
Oct 13, 2018 4:27 am
I wasn't looking to disqualify anyone. Everyone is welcome so long as you can tolerate simplified rules until the concepts get established in game.

Like all of the official starter games from the ffg star Wars line it starts with in media res with 2 stain and an easy check and goes from there.
Last edited October 13, 2018 4:29 am
Oct 13, 2018 7:09 am
I would love to join up. This will be my 4th Star Wars FFG game to get started in. The others never made it past 15xp, lets hope this goes beyond that.

I have a duros pilot that I have tried to play a few times but am willing to go another route to fit the story.
Oct 13, 2018 9:22 am
A duros pilot would be great and will work just fine.
Oct 14, 2018 2:15 pm
I have 2 character concepts that I am keen to try.

1. A force sensitive seeker with an affinity for animals who came into possession of a strange artifact that she knows nothing about. She has travelled to the edge of the empire to try and figure out what it is.

2. An Imperial Infiltrator trained as a slicer. His ultimate goal is to infiltrate the Galactic Rebellion but in order to do so he must build his reputation as an underworld slicer and wait for the rebellion to try and recruit him

Which character do you think would work the best?
Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm
I've been completely hooked on this game lately, so I'd be interested in joining.
Last edited October 14, 2018 4:37 pm
Oct 14, 2018 6:05 pm
Depending on what party comp is, I'd love to try a scoundrel or gunslinger. ( or a marauder too)
Oct 14, 2018 8:28 pm
Alright this sounds like I'll have to get this game launched tonight or in the morning. The party concept is a crash landed ship. You may be a force user but force powers were not going to be a primary focus.
Oct 15, 2018 5:31 am
I'd love to play! I'm currently in 2 ffg games not on this website, but their all force user games XD i was thinking of being a bounty hunter :)
Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am
WaRrantedAns says:
Alright this sounds like I'll have to get this game launched tonight or in the morning. The party concept is a crash landed ship. You may be a force user but force powers were not going to be a primary focus.
Oh crash landed ship. Definitely works for my seeker character.
Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm
Excellent to hear from you all. It seems like everyone has at least a passing background with the system.

So I'm launching the first game today with the expectation of 4 posts per week for each player. That should be sufficient for about an encounter a week. I usually do xp based on rolls and roleplay which be the best case since PbP doesn't really work into sessions. So I'll award xp after every strain recovery roll.

I do use the obligation/duty mechanics but that will be something I'll roll probably once a month so I can have a chance to work them in.

I am wondering if you all would rather have a faster paced game of 6 players or 2 smaller games of 3 players. The xp per week should be about the same but will likely have fewer interactions per encounter with the larger group.

Since I am unsure on everyone's character concepts I am listing the known ones here to help keep it organized and so any obvious overlaps can help guide the game size decisions.

Arina - Seeker
DM_Apexwolf - Pilot
emsquared - ?
Jesster - ?
somebox - (uncertain scoundrel/gunslinger/marauder)
Vorn369 - Bounty Hunter
Oct 15, 2018 11:34 pm
If somebox is more set on the gunslinger idea, I could go for a marauder. I could also go for a social character.
Last edited October 16, 2018 8:06 am
Oct 16, 2018 12:33 am
WaRrantedAns says:

I am wondering if you all would rather have a faster paced game of 6 players or 2 smaller games of 3 players. The xp per week should be about the same but will likely have fewer interactions per encounter with the larger group.
My advice for what its worth, go with one big group. PbP is by its very nature slow, and players tend to come and go. A larger group has a higher chance of success.
Oct 16, 2018 3:55 am
Agreed. Larger group plays at about the same speed as a small one.
Oct 16, 2018 6:30 am
Are there any special conditions for character creation?
Oct 16, 2018 3:17 pm
WaRanted, I appreciate the invite, but if you're comfortable with the other 5 as enough for a critical mass for your game, I will decline.

As mentioned I have a good bit on my plate already, and am hoping to start GMing another game in another month or two...
Oct 22, 2018 9:52 pm
Is this game still looking for players?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.