Starhelm's character

Sep 15, 2015 3:04 pm
This thread is for Starhelm's character generation.

The first part is determining your initial characteristic scores. Will you roll, or will you distribute points?
Sep 15, 2015 7:31 pm
I'll roll! Randomness is fun haha.
Sep 15, 2015 7:36 pm
So here are my rolls for stats...

Rolls

Constitution: health, heartiness, endurance - (4d6)

(1616) = 14

Social: basis for interacting with others, and improving interaction skills - (4d6)

(2523) = 12

Color: a character’s aptitude with the crystal energy of the planet (isho) - (4d6)

(1416) = 12

Isho: how much isho a character has to wield for various effects (dyshas) - (4d6)

(1413) = 9

Strength: amount a character can carry, how hard a character hits - (4d6)

(3365) = 17

Education: Affects occupational choices, and determines number of skill points - (4d6)

(4364) = 17

Learn: determines the number of skills that can be improved, also basis for improving abstract think - (4d6)

(3224) = 11

Agility: measure of a character’s athleticism. Basis for improving athletic and melee skills - (4d6)

(5442) = 15

Speed: How fast a character can run - (4d6)

(6131) = 11

Aim: How accurately a character can fire ranged weapons; basis for improving ranged combat skills - (4d6)

(2616) = 15

Spot: ability to detect things visually - (4d6)

(6442) = 16

Listen: ability to detect things aurally or through vibrations - (4d6)

(6423) = 15

Sep 15, 2015 7:40 pm
Ending tally:
Constitution: 13
Social: 10
Color: 11
Isho: 8

Strength: 14
Education: 14
Learn: 9
Agility 13

Speed: 10
Aim: 14
Spot: 14
Listen: 13
Sep 15, 2015 8:11 pm
I'm going to be a Boccord, giving me a Constitution of 15 and a strength of 16, and for an occupation I'm going to pick:

11 - Gloundan Shadow Warrior
Prerequisites: Education cost: 10, minimum strength: 13, minimum agility and spot: 12, minimum constitution: 11
Description: a woodland warrior trained in stealthy armed and unarmed combat
Bonus: 3 characteristic points, 2 skill points
Sep 16, 2015 12:48 am
Note that you may switch the scores between each characteristic in a given group. I think the way you have them is fine, but you do have that flexibility.

Gloundan Shadow Warrior
Gloundan Shadow Warriors are meditative, spiritual warriors who were trained deep in the Glounda forest to the northwest of Ardoth. They rarely leave the forest, but those who do are valued for their expertise in close combat. They are often employed as teachers/trainers for the military, or as commandos. They employ a strange form of communication known as the whistle-chant.
This occupation's cost is 10, well below your 14 EDUCATION. If you pick this occupation, you get 3 points to add to your characteristics. You also get 2 points to add to any of the skills you get from this occupation. The skills you get are:
- Fist 13/Experienced (+1 damage)
- Kick 13/Experienced (+1 damage)
- defend without weapon 16/Seasoned
- Gloundan multi-bladed throwing knife ("Sis-ganj") 8/Experienced (+1 damage)
- Thombo 10/Experienced
- Military Etiquette 8/Experienced
- your choice of 1 weapon at Familiar
- Flora Recognition 12/Experienced
- Fauna Recognition 12/Experienced
- Move Silently 18/Seasoned
- Conceal Self 12/Experienced
- Tracking 12/Experienced
- Wilderness Travel 12/Experienced
- Performing Arts (whistling) 4/Familiar
Sep 16, 2015 8:35 am
Okay so my extra 3 characteristic points will bring Constitution to 16, Agility to 14, and Learn to 10.
I'll put my two occupation skill points in "defend without weapon" (I don't know how any of this works but that seems like an important skill haha) making it an 18.
Sep 18, 2015 6:02 pm
So you've got other skills and gear remaining. Want any help with that?
Sep 19, 2015 5:57 am
Yes please. haha. During the weeknights at work (I work third shift) I've been doing stuff on this site via my iPhone, but I knew this would be a daunting task for that so I was waiting to be home and use my computer, but right now I'm pretty overwhelmed by everything going on with skills and don't even know where to start.
Sep 19, 2015 5:03 pm
I realized rather later than I should that I should've offered more help earlier.

Constitution: 16
Social: 10
Color: 11
Isho: 8

Strength: 16
Education: 14
Learn: 10
Agility 14

Speed: 10
Aim: 14
Spot: 14
Listen: 13

Here's step four, derived statistics:

Stamina: 16 (immune to superficial wounds)
I'll suggest that you take no interaction or etiquette bonuses/penalties
Color Points: 11
Max Isho: 16
Advantage: +1
Hit Bonus: +1
Injury Bonus: +1
Size modifier: +1
Aim Bonus: +3
Maximum Lift: 360 pounds
Running speed: 10 yards
Friends: 2
Foci: 3
Moon Skill Ranks: 22
Practical Skill Ranks: 42
Common Skill Ranks: 42
Extra Skill Ranks: 12
Agility Skills start at 3
Agility Skill Ranks: 14

(edit: putting each stat on its own line for easier reading)
Sep 19, 2015 5:17 pm
You get to choose a weapon at Familiar. For a melee weapon, that means a 10, and for a ranged weapon, that'd most likely be a 4. In order to choose that (and all your other skills), though, you might want to consider how you envision this character; what sort of "build" you'd like to play. As it is, the Gloundan Shadow Warrior is a bit like a forest ninja, who can easily attack from stealth at a distance.
- You could double-down on that, adding more ranged weapon capabilities to make a ranged combat monster.
- You could build a more versatile fighter who can deal deadly damage equally well in close combat as at range.
- You could make a character who is good at disabling enemies without killing them; a scout who prefers to capture rather than kill.
- Or you could be a well-rounded character who can function moderately well in non-combat situations as well. Perhaps you have one or two non-combat skills that have interested you for a long time.

Let me know what you would prefer, and I'll make suggestions.
Sep 20, 2015 6:23 am
I think I'd prefer option two, versatile fighter who is deadly at range and close combat.
Sep 21, 2015 6:02 am
OK, so let me suggest skills for your character.

I'd take sword at Familiar (10) as your freebie. Let's spend 12 of your 42 Practical Skills points to get a 6 on each of those skills, leaving you with 30 points remaining. As a shadow warrior, you will have spent a lot of time outside, training scouts and commandos in the Burdothian military. So your outdoor skills are good, with some exposure to Earth-tec. Here's what I suggest, though you can switch points around as you like.
- Arithmetic: 6
- Bio-tec: 10
- Current Events: 6
- Earth-tec: 10
- Fauna Recognition: 12 (given by occupation)
- Flora recognition: 12 (given by occupation)
- Geography: 10
- Geology: 12
- History: 6
- Lore: 12
- Traveler: 10
- Weather: 10

Common Skills
You'll have essentially no city skills, being a Shadow Warrior and all. Note that, even with no points in common skills, a character will have a 1 in every common skill. Here's what I suggest:
- Bargain: 1
- Bribe: 1
- Bureaucracy: 1
- Conceal self: 15 (given by occupation, plus 3)
- Contacts: 10
- Cooking: 10
- Fast Talk: 1
- First Aid: 10
- Foraging: 12
- Gaming: 1
- Getting Around: 10
- Hide in City: 1
- Information Search: 1
- Search: 12
- Move Silently: 18 (given by occupation)
- Tail: 1
- Teach: 8
- Tracking: 12 (given by occupation)
- Wilderness Travel: 14 (given by occupation, plus 2)

Agility Skills
3 points in each as a base, then 14 to spend between them.
Climb: 8
Jump: 7
Swim: 8

Moon Skill Ranks
Boccord cannot cast dyshas, but they can interfere with dyshas being cast. Thus, I've concentrated on the moons involved in common offensive dyshas, so that you have a better chance of interfering with them (which reduces or eliminates their power).

Desti: 8
Ebba: 7
Shal: 7

Other Skills:
You have 12 points remaining for other skills. As wanting to be effective in armed combat (you're already pretty deadly unarmed), this is what I recommend:
- sword: 13 (an increase of three points)
- sis-ganj: 12 (an increase of four points)
- crossbow: 5
- pistol: 5
- battleaxe: 10
- knife: 10
- shield: 10
- Performing Arts (whistling) 4 (given by your occupation)
Sep 22, 2015 2:37 am
That sounds good!
Sep 22, 2015 4:16 am
OK, so choose a melee weapon, roll for money (3d6)x100 gemules, and choose the type of special item you have.
Step Six

Having done that, we can begin. You can do the final step (Step Seven) now, or do it as soon as you are able. It won't prevent you from starting the game with the rest of us.
Step Seven, your background: origin, friends, siblings, parents (two bonus skill points), some ideas for past adventures, and what fascinates your character.
Sep 29, 2015 5:31 am
You get a free weapon, which I would recommend in a sis-ganj (your throwing weapon). For your special item, I'd recommend that you consider an item of Earth-tec, modified for a non-human to use.

Would you like any further help in completing the character?
Sep 30, 2015 12:11 pm
Yeah! I'm still thinking over background stuff (It's been a super busy week so I haven't been doing much posting on here for the multiple games I'm in) but help finishing would be great. What are options for earth-tec?
Sep 30, 2015 12:12 pm
Rolling for money:

Rolls

gemules x100 - (3d6)

(343) = 10

Sep 30, 2015 4:07 pm
I'll give you either a pistol with only a couple of charges left in the energy cell, or a light source with a full charge.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.