Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Oct 19, 2018 10:13 pm
Hail and well meet, adventurers! I am very excited to bring WotC's latest adventure module to Gamer's Plane. I'm looking for six players to join me in playing the level 1-5 adventure Waterdeep: Dragon Heist!

https://i.imgur.com/8rKhXSk.jpg

A fantastic treasure trove is yours for the taking in this adventure for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

Famed explorer Volothamp Geddarm needs you to complete a simple quest. Thus begins a mad romp through the wards of Waterdeep as you uncover a villainous plot involving some of the city’s most influential figures.

A grand urban caper awaits you. Pit your skill and bravado against villains the likes of which you’ve never faced before, and let the dragon hunt begin!
space
space
Is This Game for You?

I'm looking for six dedicated & delightful players who can commit to post once per day. I may lean towards GP regulars, but don't hesitate to apply whoever you are. I am likely going to run this adventure multiple times so if you don't get in the first time, I'll keep you in mind for the next one or if somebody drops out.

I want everyone to know that I am striving to make this game inclusive for people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, ethnicities, and ages. I will try to make Waterdeep reflect this diversity, for indeed that is the canonical truth about the City of Splendors. I myself am a straight, white male and don't pretend to be super knowledgeable about all of these groups, but I am really interested to learn. So, if you don't mind helping me along while I try, I would love to bring a diverse world to life for people of every walk of life to enjoy. If you don't like any of this paragraph, don't bother to apply.

For everybody else, if you would like to apply, please reply to this post with an idea about what kind of character you'd like to run. Feel free to drop a few ideas down if you like. I will leave this post live for 3 or 4 days and then decide who to take along on our urban adventure in the City of Splendors! I'm not sure how I'm going to decide yet. It will probably be heartbreakingly difficult.

Characters:

We're going to be building first-level characters. You can use:

1. Point buy or standard array to generate stats.
2. Any officially published D&D 5e product for classes and races.

All players will get access to my shared content in dndbeyond.com, which includes the character creator and all officially published races, classes, and backgrounds.

You don't have to be a Forgotten Realms loremaster to play in this game, but do make an attempt to ground your character in the setting. I will be happy to work with you to help make this happen.
Last edited October 20, 2018 2:24 pm
Oct 19, 2018 10:18 pm
Soooo tempted...
Oct 19, 2018 10:19 pm
Have applied
Oct 19, 2018 10:43 pm
Don't have as much experience with 5e as I would like, but am intrigued.
Oct 19, 2018 10:56 pm
Applied. I'll have to ponder on what I would play. I haven't done anything resembling an urban campaign in 5e, so whatever I come up with would have that in the back of my mind. I tend to start slow with character creation. Once I have my concept, though, I run with it.
Oct 19, 2018 10:57 pm
I'm thinking of a fallen aasimar that is affiliated with (or is an agent of) Kelemvor, God of Death. Holding a sliver of divine power, now forced to walk the the mortal realm for some transgression, and seeking redemption in order to be reunited. The character would either be a grave cleric or a paladin.
Oct 19, 2018 11:08 pm
I applied,

I like the idea of a Wood Elf who is probably some come to the city to try and open up his own Tavern like the yawning portal or in search of the treasures there within as for a class I'm not sure yet
Last edited October 19, 2018 11:09 pm
Oct 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Bit of a bio for the character I’m thinking of:

Butler has always wanted to be a hero, the stories of the champions of old filled his mind as he was growing up and lead to him following around the local lords guards and generally being a pain. As he grew older his general pestering lead to him being given odd jobs to do, mainly to keep him out from under foot, but after a long while he made himself useful enough that he earned himself a place as one of the local militia. A few months after he earned his place he was on patrol with his squad, their captain had heard reports of something bothering the local cattle in the area and they were to investigate....the didn’t have a clue what they were walking into. Somehow Butler survived but everyone else in his squad was slaughtered. His dreams of being a hero had had a rude awakening and he felt not an undue amount of guilt at being the only one of his squad to survive. Turning his back on his home and his duty he headed to the City of Splendors, maybe there he could find a new purpose...
Oct 19, 2018 11:27 pm
So, I've applied, but am not 100% what to roll up. I'm thinking rogue, since I haven't played one in 5th yet. If anyone had ideas for composition (big assumption that my application goes through), I'd be willing to work with what the party needs/wants.
Oct 20, 2018 12:39 am
I hastily replied above, but now that I'm not doing a live podcast interview, I can flesh out my character idea :p

I'd like to play an "arcane paladin." Hex blade elf warlock who is new in town trying to find her way in the world. She's seen some dark stuff and is trying to make the world a better place, and where better than the City of Splendors? She tries to use words before her blade, but not everyone is willing to talk things out. Thankfully, she's been well-trained in the use of her weapons for just such occasion.
Oct 20, 2018 12:54 am
I applied but I'm not sure what I want. Currently thinking of either an elven rogue swashbuckler or a bladesinger, but that's probably because I just picked up the Sword Coast book earlier today. Whoever it is, I'm leaning toward someone with high Acrobatics skill.
Oct 20, 2018 3:17 am
I'll apply, but feel free to give up my spot to someone new.

My character idea- either a College of Glamour or College of Whispers Bard. Maybe Tabaxi with a noble background?
Oct 20, 2018 4:01 am
I'm thinking an absent-minded Halfling wizard. He left home for the big city in pursuit of knowledge but is easily distracted, so his studies suffer. He tends not to finish what he starts because Ooh, Shiny! But when something does attract his attention, he can focus with a laser-like intens-- Squirrel!
Oct 20, 2018 9:26 am
I have applied, and would like to go with a variant human Paladin.
Physically asexual, knowing that they cannot ever have children, they have dedicated themself to protecting all children everywhere.
Oct 20, 2018 11:43 am
For the future should a spot open up or for your next run I’d like to be in waterdeep with a tiefling Bard with the gladiator background. Basically a pit fighter.
Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm
I have applied. I'm relatively new to GP, but not to 5e. Herein is my character's tentative backstory:

The Shadowmasters of Telflamm are one of Faerûn's most notorious thieves' guilds, a secret society every bit as grasping and
ruthless as the Night Masks of Westgate or the Shadow Thieves of Amn. Under their subtle and cloaked rule, Thesk's port city of
Telflamm is a prime center of trade in both legal and illicit goods. Jalaunther Ithbreeiur, a human man of these Shadowmasters,
was my father. He was also, for hundreds of years, the Lord of Shadows. Some refer to him as Mask, but this is not wholly true.
Mask is the god of shadows and thieves in the Faerûnian pantheon, but is a transient role, that depends on who wields a
pair of divine twin rapiers known as Stealthwhisper and Shadowblade.

My father took to the seas about a century ago, seeking to thwart the attempt of other thieves guilds' in stealing Stealthwhisper and
Shadowblade. During the decades that he sailed between the port cities of Faerûn, he begot dozens of children with wenches
he fancied, and subsequently adopted them, building a naturally loyal crew to staff his pirate vessel, named Truthless. Though he
never married any of his concubines, Ilandra Wavemistress, an aquatic half-elf pirate from Moonsea, charmed my father into
being constant partners through the last half-century of their piracy. I am their only begotten child, and I was almost stillborn.
Afflicted by some unknown genetic ailment, I was destined to never reach the normal strength of a burly sailor, as my physical traits tend more to the effeminate.

Nurtured only on the seas and trained in thievery by my father and magic by my mother, I knew only shipboard life until my mid-twenties. A chance encounter with harpies, during my first voyage as captain-in-training of a small frigate, demonstrated to my crew and my parents that although I may never reach physical norms, I can snatch and harness the echoes of the primordial Words of Creation. I requested my parents to send me to the Bard's College in Neverwinter, where I studied all matter of Lore and Magic. After my 2nd year, I learned that my father's twin rapiers were stolen, and my parents murdered while at port in Neverwinter, just prior to visiting me. The murder of my parents and theft of my father's divine rapiers is what drives my thirst for revenge.

I choose to hide most of my backstory from others, masquerading, at times identifying female or male (circumstance advantageous dependent) instead as a storytelling entertainer with a background of travelling from port to port, seeking stories of great heists, in hopes of discovering the one who stole my parents from me.

Call me by Immeral Falcone. Flute and storytelling adept, charmer of men and women, young and old.
Last edited October 20, 2018 3:38 pm
Oct 21, 2018 1:55 am
Applied! Going to go for something deeply rooted in FR from before 5e, so I'm going to hit the rulebooks to see if it still supports it.
Oct 21, 2018 4:34 pm
I've caved and have applied, because I would never pass up a @lenpelletier game! If I were to be selected, I would revive one of several characters whose stories ended too soon thanks to dissolved games:

Sally Forth, halfling archaeologist, who just celebrated her eleventy-first birthday, and will never retire...not when there's still so much to discover!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c7/71/f3/c771f3bfb82a2ca930ffb3b1eb87db59.jpg

Thaazur, the grifter, and seducer of men and women, who is in town looking for his next con.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c3/b8/bb/c3b8bb9fc6a26e96aa3761eb44efff0d.jpg

Jarveena, the maimed archer, who wishes her captain hadn't insisted she take some shore leave. The sea is freedom; cities are cesspools!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/dc/a1/e7dca1b1f9ded02afc70c46c078cf11c.jpg

OR I might spin up some new characters based on some ideas I've had lately:

A flamboyant sellsword who claims he was once a prince.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/f0/ed/f5f0ede6189c1e50bade6464313464a4.png

A suave half-elf who runs one of Waterdeep's most popular restaurants. It's rumored he uses magics to season his grilled meat.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6a/95/00/6a9500d17e045d07e21013dd549274a3--character-art-character-design.jpg
Last edited October 21, 2018 4:36 pm
Oct 21, 2018 10:23 pm
I would be most likely to run a copper Dragonborn paladin of Bahamut. Nothing crazy since I've only had a few games with 5e.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.