Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 18, 2016 9:32 pm
OOC:
Well, there goes my theory...
Has Zangua told us what he found yet, or was he waiting til we finished searching the house?
Also, looks like we might have to split the party, or at least delay our rendezvous with Zora for a little longer...

Hearing Mordred speak, Leth curiously goes to the room he's standing in, and inhales sharply at the sight of the girl.
"Mordred... No offense, but perhaps it's best if you let Vad and me handle this." He says slowly and calmly, mindful of the frightened child. "Maybe go let the others know?" He finishes before turning his attention to the girl.

"Hello there... I'm sorry if we scared you, but we're only here to help. What's your name? Are you hurt, or hungry?" He asks her, also drawing some of his rations from his pack to offer her.
Feb 18, 2016 9:35 pm
Zangua told you about the bones before you started searching the house.

Leth, can I get a Persuasion roll from you too?
Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm
Mordred drops the waybread on the bed, gathers his rapier and backs out of the doorway.
Last edited February 18, 2016 9:37 pm
Feb 18, 2016 10:15 pm
Shamush watches the others go explore the manor and nods to Zangua, "Want to check out the rest of this spooky little place?" He gestures to some of the other buildings and starts ambling their way. He picks at his teeth with the owlbear claw speculatively, and says, "If I were the settling down type, this would be quite the jackpot. All these nice houses, a herd of beasties and no one to say boo if you just went ahead and moved in."

Are the other houses/structures close enough to walk to without taking hours?
Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm
Two barns, two cottages, and a windmill.
Feb 18, 2016 10:27 pm
OOC:
rolling for niceness

Rolls

Persuasion! - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Feb 18, 2016 10:56 pm
Smamush will make the circuit of the buildings, lightly poking around each.
Feb 18, 2016 11:00 pm
Zangua follows the barbarian, mindful of the noise or lack thereof. He tries to pay attention to any closed windows and if shadows can be seen from within.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Feb 18, 2016 11:22 pm
It sounds like Vad was helping with the search of house, so I'll assume that he is now in the room with the little girl and Leth.

Thinking the girl's reaction had very little to do with Mordred being a Tiefling, Vad will stand silently to Leth's side as he tries to get the girl to open up. "Something happened here. Something bad that this girl most likely had to witness" Vad thinks to himself as focuses in on the little girl, trying to see if she has any visible injuries, and trying to read her reactions to Leth.
Last edited February 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 18, 2016 11:30 pm
Shamush and Zangua don't see anything interesting in their patrol of the other buildings. One of the cottages looks like it's being used for storage, not as a residence.

The girl's eyes flick briefly to the rations, but she doesn't answer Leth.
Feb 18, 2016 11:33 pm
Vad sees no sign of injuries to the girl. She looks dirty and perhaps a little dehydrated. Her expression is somewhat affectless, but her breathing suggested a strong immediate fear response. That seems to be slowing to a more normal rate, but she remains locked silently in her corner, knees drawn up, staring wide-eyed at the strangers who have found her.
Feb 19, 2016 3:36 am
Vad, with a large smile on his face, will very slowly approach the little girl, making sure to stop in place if she so much as flinches. "Is there anything my friends and I can do for you before we leave, Little One?"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Feb 19, 2016 4:41 am
For a long moment the girl doesn't say anything, then she answers, very quietly: "There's no more milk."
Feb 19, 2016 6:29 am
"Milk... are you thirsty?" Leth asks. He unslings his water canteen and slides it across the floor to her. "Here. It's not milk, but you can have it. And we could take you to a place with milk if you'll let us help you." He says. "But we need to know what happened here... you could start by telling us your name?" He suggests quietly with a small smile on his face.
Even as he continues trying to coax the child to tell them more, his mind begins racing, trying to figure out what they should do.
Confound it all... we can't leave the poor girl here. Now we'll have to go back and bring her at least to Grine's Knot... if only we had let Rolley come with us, then he could have taken the girl back.
OOC:
I know I rolled low on my persuasion roll... but Leth doesn't know that. He would just keep trying to talk to the child until she opens up. Obviously we can't leave her here.
Last edited February 19, 2016 6:30 am
Feb 19, 2016 10:45 am
OOC:
We could take her to King's Cradle? That's close and someone there is more likely to know her? Or at least we can pay for her to be taken from there to Grine's Knot (if she has family etc there).
Last edited February 19, 2016 1:52 pm
Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm
We made a strategic mistake turning Rolley away, even though it was the ethically correct thing to do. Even without finding the girl, it would have been wise to have an NPC who is familiar with the area with us temporarily, at least. Dang it.

I think King's Cradle is just a location, not a settlement, like Pike's Peak or something. Maybe there is a neighboring farm she knows about? Did we pass any houses or other buildings on this side or the river? Honestly, I'm inclined to either bring her with us or leave her here with rations and as much water as we can draw out of their well rather than lose another 2 days (to Grine's Knot and back).

While the others talk to the girl, Mordred goes back to the front door and waves the rest of the party over, if he can see them. He then scours the house for any of the girl's toys or dolls to bring to her.
Last edited February 19, 2016 1:54 pm
Feb 19, 2016 2:50 pm
Yes, King's Cradle is just a rock formation. Based on your collective general knowledge of settlement patterns in this area, you can be fairly certain that there would be another farm or village at least within a five mile radius, most likely to the south, but none of you know specifically where or what those would be.

Mordred gathers up some of the toys from the white room upstairs.

The girl doesn't move for, or even look at, Leth's canteen. "I drank all the milk," she explains. "I don't want to go outside."
Feb 19, 2016 3:27 pm
Mordred gestures everyone out of the room with the girl. Standing just outside the door, and holding the toys in the doorway so the girl can see them, Mordred enacts a little puppet show using whatever dolls, carvings and knickknacks he gathered. It's about a little girl who at first is scared, but becomes brave enough to go on an journey with some adventurers. In the end, everyone gets milk.

ETA: I'm willing to actually do the puppet show in the thread if it gets me a bonus on the roll.
Last edited February 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Feb 19, 2016 3:43 pm
Shamush enters the manor, calling out, "Zangua and me scouted out the other buildings and there's no one home. Looks like they all got cooked in the..." He trails off as he pokes his head in the room and spies the girl. He blinks in surprise, and exclaims with a grin, "Hey, you found a live one!" Then, realising something, adds uncertainly "Uh, what do we do with her?"
Feb 19, 2016 4:04 pm
Zangua spits on the ground and mumbles darkly under his breath. He stares at the girl with a scowl, deep in thought, before he says, "We get her out of here. Take her back to the last place we had with real people."
load next

Thread locked