Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 19, 2016 4:16 pm
We saw no horses on the premises, eh?
Feb 19, 2016 4:17 pm
OOC:
Oh, my bad on King's Cradle, sorry. I should go back and read my own notes!
Couple of thoughts:
I can use Speak With Animals on the livestock but I'm guessing they couldn't remember far back enough.
How long does an oil lamp burn for? One of them was still going and the killing seems to have taken place 2+ days ago.
Felor decides not to hang around by the girl's room - it didn't make sense to crowd her. If they were going to gain her confidence, it would take a bit of time. Instead, he mills around outside, unsure of what to do. The others' investigations hadn't turned up any obvious clues. The house was empty, but not ransacked. The inhabitants, presumably, slaughtered and burnt. The livestock left but horses taken. Meals half-eaten - was whoever had done this known to the inhabitants? They must have left the building of their own accord before being killed.

As the barbarian had said - this was no mere bandit attack. Did the witch-cult do this? Were they looking for something? That didn't make sense given the untouched state of the house. Or for someone?

Felor's shivered thinking of what must have happened here. He hoped the girl had been safely hidden away and not witnessed it first-hand. For want of anything better to do, Felor returns to the fire pit and says a prayer over the bodies, wishing their souls peace in the afterlife, asking Fjorgyn to protect the girl, and vowing that he would find the killers if possible.

How long would it take to fill in the fire pit as a grave? Was it something dug just for the bodies or was it there already?
Last edited February 19, 2016 4:18 pm
Feb 19, 2016 4:29 pm
"Maybe the girl's been lighting the lamp, and eating the food," says Zangua from outside the room, looking down the hallway as though he would see someone else there. "Two plates, maybe someone else hiding in this big house."

Zangua begins to walk, muttering "Bloody hells," under his breath. "Gonna check on the cow," he says, flatly, and continues out without waiting or a response.

The fighter pauses right outside the door. He takes a few deep breaths and stares off into the sky. Then he shakes his head and returns to the barn to see if the cow has any milk.
Feb 19, 2016 4:49 pm
Mordred, I'm going to keep things moving, but I really want to see that puppet show. Post it to the "About Bload" thread when you have time, there might be Advantage or some other bonuses in it for you.

Correct, there are no horses on the premises. The stables were empty.

Felor, feel free to try casting Speak With Livestock! The lamp you saw wasn't big enough to burn more than a few hours...unless somebody was adding oil to it periodically. The pit looks like it was pre-existing, not freshly dug; it would be entirely expected for a ranch like this to have a waste pit for burning. It wouldn't take long to cover it with dirt if you wanted to, there's plenty of tools around here.

It doesn't take long for Zangua to find a cow that looks like it needs to be milked, and there's no shortage of buckets laying around. Can I get an Animal Handling roll if you're going to milk her?

Meanwhile, upstairs, Mordred rounds up some dolls and wooden soldiers and acts out a scene with a positive message about running away with strangers for the little girl. Though her face reveals little, she watches with what Mordred hopes is interest. At the end, she makes eye contact with him. "I don't want to go outside," she says. "The metal man is coming back."
Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm
Zangua fetches a bucket and approaches the cow. He tries to remember how to do all this, warming his hands under his leather and furs. Then he sets to work.

Rolls

Animal Handling - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm
Meanwhile, upstairs, Mordred rounds up some dolls and wooden soldiers and acts out a scene with a positive message about running away with strangers for the little girl.

Heh. Yeah, I realized Mordred is not exactly being a responsible parent substitute here, but what else are we gonna do?
Feb 19, 2016 4:54 pm
Zangua manages to get a little milk in the bucket before the cow gets annoyed with his inexpert handling and starts trying to get away.
Feb 19, 2016 6:39 pm
"Well done! I can't wait to see how the story ends." Vad says to Mordred with a smile as he slowly walks back into the room.

"Our friend is getting you some milk right now, Little One." he says as calmly as possible as he approaches the girl, crouching when he gets a short distance away (not close enough to grab her) so that he can look her directly in the eyes. "Is there anything else we can get you before we leave? We could take care of the metal man if you'd like."
OOC:
Vad doesn't really like the idea of leaving the girl here on her own, but won't even put the idea of us taking her away from her home until he knows more about what is going on.
Feb 19, 2016 6:52 pm
Her eyes widen. "Is he outside? Nonna said he'd come back. Cause Trent lied." She starts shaking. "She said he was gonna know Trent lied and he was gonna kill Dommo and then he'd come back and kill all the rest of us." Her eyes are getting wet and she starts breathing faster again.
Feb 19, 2016 7:01 pm
"Easy, easy, Little One. The metal man is not outside and even if he were my friends and I would protect you. I promise!"

Vad glances back at Mordred and mouths "Trent?".

Turning back to the little girl he asks, "Are there others here than need our help as well, Little One?"
Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm
"They left," she says between gasps. "Without me. I ran away when they put Mama in the fire. Nonna said her blood was wrong and she got scared of that too. She said they had to put her in the fire. Her and Daddy and everybody else who got killed. I ran away and hid cause I didn't want to see them burn. They didn't find me. They left." By the end of this she is shaking and rocking back and forth, tears running down her face.
Feb 19, 2016 9:14 pm
"I'm sorry, Little One." Vad says as he stands up. "I won't ask anymore questions for now, but if you need anything, anything at all, you be sure to let me or one of my friends know. Ok?"

Walking out of the door he pauses by Mordred and asks quietly, "What in the hell happened here?"
Feb 19, 2016 10:44 pm
Zangua leaves the cow be, satisfied with the little milk he was able to acquire. He returns to the house to prepare it.
Feb 20, 2016 2:32 am
Leth listens to the girl's story with growing horror and rage.
Is she talking about the crown cult? She must be... We knew they were capable of terrible things, but this... He can't accurately describe his thoughts and feelings, even just within his own head.
"My friend is bringing you some milk, okay? Does that sound good?" Is all he can ask. He has more questions, but the poor child is clearly traumatized, and he doesn't want to push her. Better to wait til Zangua gets back with the milk; perhaps that would give her some comfort and make it easier for her to communicate to them.
Feb 20, 2016 2:38 am
The girl drinks the milk readily, and seems to calm down. "I was afraid to go out and get more," she says.
Feb 20, 2016 2:43 am
"Disease, or poison," mutters Zangua in contemplation. "Burnt the bodies to contain the infection, abandoned the house and fled with the horses in a hurry. Accidentally left her behind."

He holds out a cup with a little milk. Zangua takes back the cup after the girl has emptied it. "Best not to give her too much right away, given her condition. Overfeeding will cause her system to go into shock."
Last edited February 20, 2016 2:44 am
Feb 20, 2016 2:59 am
If it looks like she's calmed enough and ready to talk some more, Leth will ask:

"Where did the metal man come from? Did you say he was coming back?"
OOC:
I actually have more questions, but I don't want to ask them all at once and overwhelm her...
Feb 20, 2016 3:21 am
"Can I have more?" she asks after the cup. "The metal man was in the barn. He hit Daddy with the circle stick. Mama came running and he hit her too." She starts panting again. "Nonna said he's gonna come back cause Trent lied. He didn't say he saw the girl in the barn but he did. Nonna said he'd know Trent lied and he'd come back and kill everybody." She shudders violently. "I don't want him to come back. He killed Daddy and he killed Mama and he killed Nestro and he killed Big Jon and he made their blood wrong. I don't want him to come back. I don't want him to kill me. I want to go with Nonna." She starts sobbing loudly.
Feb 20, 2016 3:26 am
"I stand corrected," says Zangua, mumbling about his previous theory. He shakes his head at the girl and speaks in a softer voice, "In a bit, hon. Let's have that settle in your stomach for a bit."
Feb 20, 2016 3:35 am
If she'll let him, Leth will hug her.
"It's okay. We're here now, and we'll keep you safe. I promise." He says, trying to comfort her as best he can.

The girl in the barn has to have been Zora. The witch-men came looking for her, and when he couldn't find what he wanted, started killing people and threatened to come back later. I'm not sure I understand what she means about bad blood... but whatever that was, it spooked the remaining villagers, so they burned the dead bodies and fled... but where to?

"Do you know where Nonna went? Maybe we can help you find her."
Last edited February 20, 2016 3:42 am
load next

Thread locked