Chapter 2 - The Suburbs

load previous
Nov 23, 2015 4:29 pm
Kel steps back off the porch. "You dno't want to look" he says not standing in the stranger's way. While growing more distrustful of people, Kel still knows the true enemy are the walking dead. Perhaps this guy he can help save.
Nov 23, 2015 4:57 pm
Howard glances at Jacob and the man with the hatchet (Peter), and says "Whew....that was scary, huh?" he tries to chuckle. Then he goes to open the door. "There's someone in here, either asleep or had a heart attack. I'm going to try the door..."

(OoC: I took it that Peter was coming up closer to the car to look in...?)
Last edited November 23, 2015 4:57 pm
Nov 24, 2015 3:10 pm
OOC: Actually, Howard, I'm with Kel at the house.
Nov 24, 2015 3:17 pm
"You hope they're either asleep or had a heart attack" Jacob says to Howard as he continues to cover the door with his pistol.
Nov 25, 2015 4:42 am
-- At the Car --

As Howard taps the window suddenly the corpse starts to stir. It rasps out a long low moan as it turns it's head towards Howard. The sockets where eyes had been are empty, tried blood is stained on the cheeks like tears. That bird must have done a number on it. It paws restlessly at the window between Howard and it.

-- At The House --

PhantomNimbus sent a note to CouchLord0510
Kel, lost in his thoughts steps aside. Peter glances in the window after him.

GM. Peter as well will need to roll one white and one black dice. As with Kel there is no true failure to the test, just to see if you take mental stress from the situation. It's a Willpower test. (Let me know if you need help on rolling tests.)
Nov 25, 2015 4:51 am
"Holy Hell!!" Jacob yells as he jumps back a few steps startled by the sight. "You think it can get out of there?"
Last edited November 25, 2015 4:51 am
Nov 25, 2015 9:11 am
Howard takes a couple of steps back, too, and takes a moment to catch his breath again.

"No...at least not right away. But we've got to move the car before more of them come."

He draws his gun, then hesitates. "Noise attracts them, right? Maybe there's another way..."

Howard looks in the car, trying to glance around the horrific zombie to see if the parking brake is on and/or the car is in gear.

(OoC: Is the eyeless zombie's car obstructed by the fallen tree at all, or could it move forward?)
Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm
OOC: Yeah, GM, I'm not sure what I need to roll... help, someone?
Nov 28, 2015 1:34 am
The sight will be seared into Peter's memory for ever...

Rolls

Positive Willpower - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Negative Willpower - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Dec 1, 2015 1:10 am
Kel tries to motion Pete away "C'mon. There's nothing we can do. Let's get the fuck outta here"
Dec 1, 2015 4:52 pm
"We should try to kill them," Peter whispered back. "If we don't, they will kill more people. We should stop them now, and maybe we kind find some useful stuff in the house."
Dec 2, 2015 3:04 am
"Have you fought one yet? They don't go down easy...this..." Kel says pointing to his bandaged wound "was from a dead dog. We have guns but only so many bullets."

He starts walking back to the others. "We are grabbing up our families and getting the heck away from civilization. You are welcome to join us, you seem like a decent guy and it's only a matter of time before the... not decent guys...start to show up."
Dec 2, 2015 9:43 pm
Peter stand indecisively. He doesn't think its right to leave that... beast be, but his rational side tells him attacking the creature alone is sure to be suicide. If he can just get to Eva's house... they just need to leave. He tears himself away from the house and reluctantly follows the other man.
Dec 28, 2015 5:03 pm
-- At the Car --

Looking in past the zombie it seems the car is still in Park so moving it isn't going to be an easy task. The zombie doesn't seem to have the strength on it's own to break through the car window, it simply keeps pawing helplessly at it. It can't seem to exactly "see" you either as it sort of grasps around blindly in the car.

-- At The House --

As you leave the scene the memory will hang on you, but you manage to hold back the stress of the situation and keep a level head. As you are walking away from the house you see the "person" sitting inside the car by Howard and Jacob. They seem to be trying to figure out what to do about the corpse inside the car.
Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm
At the car

Howard looks nervously at the zombie clawing at the window and then at Jacob. "We need to get out of here, and this car is in the way. The parking brake is on, and I don't want to risk damage to Andrew's car by pushing this car out of the way with it. Hear that, Andrew? I'm taking good care of your car! So, Jacob, you try to keep its attention here, and I'm going to go around and open a door on the other side, then we can kill it...again...as it turns around and comes out."

Having said this, Howard does it. He taps on the window again to attract its attention, then backs away from the car, far enough away that he thinks the zombie is likely focused on Jacob now, and then circles around. If the zombie is still distracted on one side of the car, he'll run up and try the door on the opposite side. If it sees him before he can open the door, he'll open a back door, so that the moment that it takes the zombie to climb into the back seat will give him enough time to take hold of his paper cutter blade, ready to strike.
Dec 29, 2015 5:28 pm
When Howard taps on the window the zombie turns towards it and tries to bite at it instinctively, but only succeeds in smashing its face against the window. It keeps snapping towards Jacob, but doesn't really actually seem to see him, just knows something made noise in that direction.

When you get around to the other side it is still snapping at the window, but when you open the door wide it swings around and tries to crawl and claw its way towards the sound. Howard is able to get a bit of room so when the zombie gets to the end of the seat it flips out of the car and lands on the ground. It just gropes around trying to find something to bite.

GM: We could use this to start structured time, you guys clearly have the initiative over the zombie team. Howard would probably be first to act, but feel free to act whenever. Just as a recap for CouchLord0510, structured time is the way we do initiative in this game. I just pick a "side" of the conflict that seems would narratively have the initiative. That "team" gets to go first, in whatever order. Once each person has had a turn then the other "team" goes and they all take their turns. It switches back and forth until the combat is over.

In a turn you can do a major action which usually involves a dice roll, a minor action or movement like ducking behind something or steadying yourself to gain an extra positive dice for a ranged attack, and you can generally do small incidental things like say stuff. A combat "turn" roughly equates to 6-8 seconds or so.
Dec 29, 2015 11:37 pm
"C'mon, they're gonna need help!" Kel says to the stranger as he moves back to the car.
Jan 7, 2016 3:37 pm
(OoC: sorry everyone, somehow I spaced out on this game and forgot that it was my move!)

Howard has been prepared with the paper cutter; when the zombie flops out onto the ground, he quips: "I guess people really don't like hitchhikers anymore!" and then brings the blade down on its head, hard.

(My read of the result is: 2 successes, for a total of 5 damage - 2 successes +3 for the bladed weapon - and 1 negative die remaining means 1 stress...physical, I imagine?)
Last edited January 7, 2016 3:40 pm

Rolls

Positive dice (+1 weapon, +1 aim, +1 quip) vs 3 DEX - (4d6)

(3661) = 16

Negative dice - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jan 25, 2016 4:20 pm
As the paper cutter is brought down this already weakened zombie takes a solid hit to the skull and slumps to the ground dead....again.
OOC:
Yes, that was 1 stress and 5 damage to the zombie.
The car reeks of death and decay, but you can manage to get to the shifter and put the car into neutral. With a group effort you can probably push the car out of the way.
OOC:
Since this will be a group check, one person will be put up as the person to roll the test. They will get the standard 1 positive dice and 1 negative dice. Then an additional positive dice for every person that is helping them. So whoever wants to roll it will get 5 positive dice and 1 negative dice.
Jan 25, 2016 4:48 pm
Kel lends a hand pushing the car.
load next

Thread locked