Chapter 2 - The Suburbs

load previous
Feb 12, 2016 6:28 pm
Kel hugs his wife quickly and then says "Zombies. For real. Animals and people. We're getting out of here and out to the countryside. Just picking up some people and supplies. We gotta get stuff loaded in the Jeep fast and get out of here before more come. Noise attracts them."

He then rushes over to the workbench and gets a crowbar for his wife and a hammer for his daughter. "Gavin, get your football pads and helmet on and get your baseball bat. We may have to fight, but getting away is the best option. No matter who you see out there, the neighbor, their dogs, whatever. If they look hurt and are acting strange, they're out to kill you. They're not themselves anymore."

"Lisa grab a couple of suitcases and fill them with food, supplies, anything you can think of. Get the sleeping bags, camping stuff, lantern. Sarah, you help." He then looks at Howard and John and points upstairs. He grabs some wood planks
Feb 13, 2016 1:33 am
Jacob starts to look about the front room for some piece of furniture he can move in front of the door way. "May want to block of some of these windows as well, Annette, just to be safe. Let's get Howard up here to help."
Feb 21, 2016 6:29 pm
Howard races upstairs as best he can and attempts to bar and block the door with the rest of them. "Annette, honey, are you OK? Jacob, are you OK?"

With all thought of stealth gone from his head, he's also looking around with his flashlight to see where the bear cub entered the house. They'll have to block that access, too...
OOC:
Waiting to hear back from you as to whether there were two bear cubs in the basement (the second one attacking Howard), or just the one that Howard hurt and John killed...how injured Howard is may effect his mobility further.
Last edited February 21, 2016 6:30 pm
Feb 23, 2016 2:34 pm
After issuing orders to his family. Kel runs up to assist in barricading the front but his main goal is load up the jeep and get out of here.
Feb 24, 2016 4:34 pm
Working in different departments as they did, Howard probably hasn't met Kel's family before this. As he moves from room to room, looking for broken windows/doors or other ways that the bear cub entered the house, he introduces himself. "Hi, I'm Howard! Do you know where that thing came into the house?"
Feb 25, 2016 12:27 am
"Hi..my wife said it came through a window. Must be one in the back.."
Feb 26, 2016 4:13 am
-- Upstairs --
After the door is shut Jacob, Annette, and Howard work to move a coffee table, bookshelf, and entertainment center in front of the door. After you start working you can hear the shuffling feet thumping on the wood entry. Peeking out one of the windows you see there has to be at least 10-15. You can't quite tell if more are coming, but this already seems overwhelming.

One stumbles walking up the steps and hits the entry with a thud, slowly being trampled and crushed by those falling in behind. The begin to scrape at the door and sides of the house.

-- Downstairs --
Kel and his family start gathering what they can and helping to barricade. His son sticks close to Kel, his daughter works with her mother to get stuff out into the jeep. Inspecting downstairs you see that the bear must have fallen into one of the window egresses and crashed through the window at the bottom. The smashed window could either be a quick escape to the back yard, or the possible entrance of any passing zombie.

What does everyone do?
Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm
Howard thinks Kel has a wonderful house, but he does not like the number of windows. "What else do we need to load?"
Feb 26, 2016 10:55 pm
Suddenly realizing that most houses have more than just one door Jacob blurts out "Is there a back door?" He'll run towards the back of the house and when he finds the back door will start piling furniture in front of that one as well.

"So... wait them out or make a run for it?" he yells over to Howard and Annette.
Feb 26, 2016 11:28 pm
"I hope Peter's having better luck than we are..." Howard mutters under his breath. Then, in response to Jacob: "If Kel thinks we can drive out of here, then I'm all for it. I don't want to fight any of these, let alone dozens of them!"
Feb 27, 2016 1:26 am
Kel says to his wife "Just load up on food and the camping supplies..first aid...." He looks at the rest. "OK, we are going to make a break for it out the back. We can get in the jeep blow out of here, honk the horn down the block and get them away from the front of the house, then you get get to the other cars. "
Mar 2, 2016 8:33 am
Howard exchanges a look with Jacob, realizing that there's a lot of IF in that plan. He looks at Annette and takes her hand, squeezing it. "Kel, do you think you have room in the Jeep for Annette? I think we're probably going to end up hacking through zombies to get to the cars, and I'd feel better about it if Annette was with you." He turns to forestall her objection. "Baby, I can take better care of myself if I can just focus on cutting through these things. We'll switch back to Andrew's car as soon as we get out of this neighborhood away from the mob." Howard pauses, half expecting Andrew to appear again...
Mar 2, 2016 1:40 pm
"Yes, there is room." Kel replies as he helps push the couch against the living room window.
Mar 7, 2016 9:38 am
Howard hugs Annette goodbye and then turns to let her go.

...then he turns back and kisses her swiftly, not wanting her to go even though he knows it's best. Still feeling self-conscious about being public with their relationship after keeping it secret for so long, Howard holds her face in his hands and looks deep into her eyes for a moment. "I love you!" he whispers fiercely, and then lets her go. "They're ready to go; you'd better go with them. I'll see you soon, baby."

With that, Howard smiles and waves goodbye, waiting a moment to see if she objects or delays. After that, he turns to rejoin Jacob at the door, still whispering to try to stir up the zombies as little as possible. "Ready? What have you got for a 'quiet' weapon?"
OOC:
In going through the house earlier with the flashlight, did we see a fireplace? If so, was there a poker or a hatchet that Jacob could use? I'm worried that he might have only a gun, which we should use only as a last resort...
Mar 7, 2016 11:22 pm
With a shrug Jacob simply points to his gun to answer Howard's question.

"So what's the plan? Kel going to get out of here with his jeep and cause some sort of distraction so that we can follow?" Jacob pauses for a moment as he hears the plan out loud, from his own mouth, and then rolls his eyes. "Balls! So, where we meeting after we get separated?"
Mar 8, 2016 5:19 pm
"On the main street just outside of the subdivision... then we can decide where to next." Kel says as he goes to assist the loading of the jeep.
Mar 8, 2016 11:04 pm
"Not what I meant, Dex." Jacob says as he moves closer to try and keep things a bit quiet. "Chances are shit is happening all over the place, you may not be able to wait just outside the subdivision. Where's the final meet up?" Jacob pauses for a few seconds before adding, "You know, in case we need one."
Mar 9, 2016 3:52 am
"Don't we need to stop by one more person's house for family?" Kel says loading foodstuffs into the Jeep "Then, I have no clue where to go. North, I guess. Into the wilderness???"
Mar 9, 2016 3:56 am
As Jacob puts an emphasis on his last statement you hear the scraping that has been culminating at the front door cause a portion of the door to splinter. A gash about a foot in length has been clawed and torn out of the front door. Grabbing clawing hands start to reach inside searching. The barricade continues to hold, but you aren't sure for how much longer. Another glance out the front window shows the mass of zombies has only grown, the noise of them attracting more.

Kel's daughter comes in from the garage and runs up to Kel, "We are all loaded up. As much as we can fit, dad."
Mar 9, 2016 4:19 am
"Let's get the fuck outta here, now!" Kel says
load next

Thread locked