Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Ogbar watches for danger!

Rolls

Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Jan 22, 2016 11:22 pm
At the Jarl Farm

Aanbo smiles warmly. "We will certainly try," he says. "It would help us to know what happened. Please, whatever you know."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Jan 22, 2016 11:55 pm
I half listen. It's not terrible, but I was hoping for more in the way of entertainment. I'm gonna have to spice things up, and soon. It's just too quiet. It doesn't suit me.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Perception (disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jan 23, 2016 12:27 am
OOC:
Note, while in a forest my Natural Explorer ability grants me:
- Int and Wis checks related to Forests have double proficiency bonus

It says "related to" forests, and checking online the general consensus is that it's up to the GM if that grants you double proficiency on perception checks etc not directly about a forest, but pertaining to things in a forest (such as the one we're making now). It's a fuzzy line because, one could argue, perception tp detect someone that is, say, hiding a forest, can both be construed as 'relating to' forests, and not. If you decide I should get the bonus, add 2 to my result.

Also, I had posted that Sara was 'keeping watch' and paying attention, so if that changes your mind about disadvantage obviously disregard the second roll.
Last edited January 23, 2016 12:28 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jan 23, 2016 11:54 pm
After inspecting the wound,"Indeed. Has tale of any creature making a mark like this ever come to you here? Even if it has never attacked people...any strange afflictions among your livestock?"

Quest thinks about strange sounds he may have read about.

Rolls

History check - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am
Candi says:
OOC:
Note, while in a forest my Natural Explorer ability grants me:
- Int and Wis checks related to Forests have double proficiency bonus

It says "related to" forests, and checking online the general consensus is that it's up to the GM if that grants you double proficiency on perception checks etc not directly about a forest, but pertaining to things in a forest (such as the one we're making now). It's a fuzzy line because, one could argue, perception tp detect someone that is, say, hiding a forest, can both be construed as 'relating to' forests, and not. If you decide I should get the bonus, add 2 to my result.

Also, I had posted that Sara was 'keeping watch' and paying attention, so if that changes your mind about disadvantage obviously disregard the second roll.
The bonus does apply in this case; thanks for the reminder. The disadvantage comes from having Jonbon the Busker caterwauling in front of you, however.

On the Road

Klak, dissatisfied with the minstrel's performance, is busy adding to the entertainment. Ogbar, Sara, and Xana all notice that the forest has gone very still; the silence is broken only by the clanging from Klak's slapstick routine and the yodeling croon of the bard. The three then hear a sudden crashing in the trees and a shriek of some animal, which abruptly cuts off.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Candi
At the Farm

"No, nothing has come here..." Abella confides, "But Devek goes into the Dim a lot, your Exalted Worships. He loves the woods, and every day he would go deeper and deeper. I went with him sometimes, but I never felt safe being too far from home, what with the snakes and all. So I...I wasn't with him when he found the building. A ruined building, he found, deep in the woods. That's what he told me, and he showed me...this." The preteen girl pulls a small bundle from her apron pocket; it's a coarse linen wrapped around an object. She unwraps it to reveal a small crumbling brick, with a curious impression on one side. It's not clear whether it's been carved into the rock, or pressed into the brick when it was being formed: a circle with a little curlicue coming off of it. Any of the three of you there in the room with her - Aanbo, Quest, and Morgran - can do a Religion check to see if you recognize the symbol. "He said he was going back to explore, and later that day, he came back white as snow and collapsed as soon as Papa got him inside. If only I'd been with him, I might've been able to stop this from happening!"
Jan 25, 2016 10:09 am
Thacogygax tenses up where he is sitting hidden in the back of the wagon. ::Trouble?:: He sends telepathically to Sara.
Last edited January 25, 2016 10:10 am
Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm
Hearing the sound I get to my feet and say sharply, "Quiet!"
OOC:
Add +2 to the result if this counts as "related to Forests"

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jan 25, 2016 3:46 pm
At the farm

Aanbo looks over the marking on the brick and studies the stone itself. He is starting to have his suspicions, but he doesn't know how much he'd be able to confirm given that it's just one brick.
Last edited January 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Stonecunning, INT (History) - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Jan 26, 2016 1:59 am
"Curious..." Quest absently says out loud examining the stone.

Rolls

Religion check - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Jan 26, 2016 2:46 am
On the Road

Hmm, this seems somewhat familiar. I'm immediately suspicious. I look around to see if there is actually a source of the sound, or if it's some kind of illusion. I should know, I specialize in illusions and frankly I'm disappointed that I haven't caused any fun ones lately. Maybe I'll have an opportunity soon? Either way, this game is fun!
Last edited January 26, 2016 2:46 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jan 26, 2016 9:08 am
On the Road

Xana hears some crashing in the woods nearby. Sara leaps to her feet, causing the wagon to lurch and rock a bit. Jonbon is seriously into his finale; he's bringing it on home with a final refrain of

"...And that's why he never ate fruuuuuiiit!"

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Candi
At the Farm

Aanbo recognizes that the brick was not molded from clay. The stone is a local variety of brightstone, a metamorphic rock that the dwarf recognizes well. The symbol has been carefully chiseled out with painstaking effort with a small chisel and a steady hand...or magic. But he does not recognize the symbol.

Quest, on the other hand, does not recognize the type of stone, but he does recall that the symbol represents the disc of the sun and the curlicue is the head of a snake coiled around the sun...a traditional symbol of the ancient sun god, Rav.
Jan 26, 2016 2:32 pm
At the Farm

"...the symbol of an ancient god. A sun god, and one who liked snakes. Out here in the unsettled lands, is unexpected, perhaps there was more to this place in past ages."
OOC:
So do I know anything about the general demeanor of Rav? Being a sun god doesn't always mean "good" based on what I know of real-world myth. Mostly it means an ok guy to invite to parties, but sometimes they had to be appeased. And snakes have sort of the opposite reputation, generally bad but sometimes they are healers and protectors.
Last edited January 26, 2016 2:38 pm
Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm
Ogbar glares at Jonbon, "Be quiet you fool!" and scans the forest for any danger.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm
"Owlbear." I jump from the wagon, prepare an arrow and scan the area. Looking, listening and smelling for signs of where the owlbear is relative to us...
OOC:
Again, +2 if it counts as 'related to a forest'

Rolls

Perception/Survival (same bonus) - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm
"Ooh, sounds like fun." I clap my hands together, and the booming sound of a roaring, screeching dragon echos from a point about 20 feet above me towards the sound of the approaching owlbear.

Ooc: using a minor illusion to conjur the sound

Rolls

Intimidation? - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Jan 27, 2016 10:03 pm
On the Road

Sara listens intently while Ogbar silences Jonbon; she can just hear the thrashing of trees and snapping of branches a little bit to the south of the road to the east, but the trees here are thick enough that there is no sign.

Durren comes alert, rising to his full height from the slouch he'd assumed as part of his disguise. "Owlbear? This wagon willst not withstand the might of such a beast. Mayhaps we should take this musician to safety?"

Ogbar doesn't consider the safety of Jonbon and shushes the weird human. They manage to be quiet enough that the barbarian can also detect the sounds of a large creature moving to the southeast. It seems like it's going to pass them by, when everyone is filled with a sense of something vast and alien (even to Thacogygax) observing them closely. Then there's an overpowering sense of wry amusement that has a few of you chuckling for no apparent reason, and then Xana glows for a moment with otherworldly energy. She claps her hands together, and everyone is somewhat deafened by a tremendous, screeching roar of rage and hatred. Thacogygax was on a battlefield once and heard that noise over a rise; everything had been destroyed utterly by the time he got over the hill.

Everyone is silent for a moment in the wake of that awful noise.

Rolls

Durren's roll - (1d20+4)

DM's roll - (1d20+5)

Jan 27, 2016 10:14 pm
Klak manages to gingerly extricate himself from the wagon and pick up his axe. His eyes shift around nervously.
Jan 27, 2016 10:19 pm
Ogbar flinches from the sound for a moment before realizing the source and glaring at Xana. He grips his axe tighter as he waits for an attack.
Jan 27, 2016 10:20 pm
At the Jarl Farm: Devek's bedroom

Morgran can't help but think of the orphans at the temple, looking at these children. Quest, meanwhile, is trying to focus of his memories of the practices of Rav, but his reverie is interrupted by Elista's hand on his arm.

"What does that mean? Can you do anything to help my boy? We don't have much to offer, but whatever we can provide, we will..." Elista takes his hand in earnest supplication, and suddenly, the room starts feeling a little hot to Quest.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to foolsmask
Just then, everyone in the house hears a tremendous shriek of rage and challenge from outside, and Aanbo feels a thrill of darkness at the sound.

"What in Merikka's name was that?" Abel says, coming back into the room. Elista quickly pulls her hand away from Quest and goes to clutch at Abel. Abella is torn between seeking the comfort of her father's arms and staying by Devek's side.

Everyone in the house, roll perception checks.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.