Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

Dec 11, 2015 4:56 am
The next day dawns bright and early, though the staff of the Inn of Eternal Rest - Tap (the halfling), Devane (the Innkeeper), Soraya (his wife), Maul (the brewer), Jerek (brewer's son and assistant), and Cook (chef) - wisely leave you each alone to wake at your own time. They move quietly and efficiently, righting tables, sweeping the floors, and preparing a breakfast for early customers (and yourselves, should you awaken early).

A number of people excited to see real life adventurers in the flesh talked to each of you last night, some were interested to hear about the Dungeon Busters organization, some of those were excited about the prospects of trade that such an organization would represent (the smiths, sages, and priests in particular), and some landowners sounded like they might have space they could rent out to the party to serve as the local office.

As you rise, you review what you know about Black and what you know about Orlane:

* Black is a criminal that has been active in the area. He hired a bunch of thugs to take over Hale Arneson's mill for use as a base of operations. He's also done a variety of other things, and to date no one has been able to track him down or come up with a reliable description. He could be a half-giant sorcerer, a prince-in-exile, both, or neither.

* Your patron, the elven hero Cecily Raptor who is the founder and CEO of Dungeon Busters, carved a path through the Dim Forest decades ago, thus creating a path for settlers and merchants to travel between Hochoch and Hookhill. Orlane is a village a few days' travel along this road (Cecily's Road) to the east, in a fertile valley nestled between the Dim Forest to the north and the Rushmoors swamp to the south. Orlane is famous for its bountiful harvests of fine produce, and everyone in Hochoch is saddened that the shipments of produce have almost ceased in recent months. You've heard many rumors as to what has happened, and it was on the strength of these rumors that Cecily sent each of you (except Durren, who wants to be hired) to Hochoch to open a branch of Dungeon Busters. So far, you've talked to three different people with stories about Orlane: from crocodiles attacking from the Rushmoors, to tainted well water, to a many-headed creature stealing children. There are probably others with more stories to tell. Blackguard Wilson mentioned that his cousin Svall left Orlane after the many-headed creature started stealing kids, and that Svall's house was on the east side of Orlane, with blue shutters. He didn't know if it'd still be empty after months; maybe some squatters have moved in.
Dec 11, 2015 5:18 am
Aanbo rises early, before the sun has risen, for meditation. His ritual consists of finding a quiet dirt patch to sit in and reflect on yesterday and today, and to physically feel the earth. At the end of his personal ceremony, Aanbo grabs a handful of dirt and casts it upon his shoulders, a token of the land to carry with him on his journey.

The monk then returns to the inn for a light and simple breakfast, content to sit alone in reflection as he doesn't expect others to be awake this early.
Dec 11, 2015 7:43 am
Thacogygax, who has just spent the night sleeping in the woods as usual, gets up at dawn and returns to the inn. He chooses to take breakfast in the outdoor dining area. He looks around to see if any of his companions are already up and about.
Dec 11, 2015 8:57 am
I wake early, having retired early. I gather breakfast from the inn staff, and sit outside with Thacogygax, "Good morning." I smile, before starting to eat.
Dec 11, 2015 10:09 am
Morgran gets up from...somewhere. He finds his bearings and makes an early walk to the nearest river, or failing that, body of water, to take care of the smell, wash and dry his clothes, and to prepare battle chants. He smells his aching fist. Cow, he thinks.

He returns to the bar to split an eagle for drinks.
Dec 11, 2015 2:22 pm
Ogbar wakes early despite how late he was up. He stands from his bed and stretches out, testing his wounds to see how they feel this day and trying to figure out how they'll limit his movements. He slowly heads downstairs after saying a prayer to his god, Vatun. He joins the others, nodding at each in turn having gained a new respect for each and their battle prowess, and sits to eat his breakfast.
Dec 13, 2015 4:53 pm
Tap cheerfully greets each of you in turn as you enter and partake of the cold meats, fresh bread, a hearty porridge, and a variety of drinks both hot and cold that are available. You've all settled into chairs at a table that Devane has pulled into a patch of warm sun in the open courtyard and are comfortably eating and talking amiably amongst yourselves. Durren arrives and smiles at you, standing near the table, uncertain who to talk to about joining the Dungeon Busters organization.
Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm
Unlike the rest of the party, Klak manages to sleep soundly and long, stumbling into the common room a bit bleary-eyed and not completely ready for the day. Drinking, fighting, drinking, gambling, drinking.. it's all something of a blur. He steps into the sunlight, squinting and finds a way to the table where the rest of the party sits and begins to eat some breakfast.
Dec 14, 2015 1:52 am
I spent a good part of the evening discretely fleecing as many people as I could. Once I had my fill, I made my rounds talking up our task ahead and our plans to make ourselves available to tackle any of the more difficult problems of this fair town, for a price of course. I turn in at a late hour and have myself a restful slumber, waking about an hour after sunrise and making my way down towards the smell of food.

I savor each bite of cold meat with chunks of warm bread as I watch Durren stand there. He clearly is waiting for someone to address him, and while I'm tempted to continue to ignore him I figure we might as well get this conversation started already. "You look as if you're about to burst. Get on with it then, no need to stand there and gape at us!"
Dec 14, 2015 9:46 am
"Gonna need something for this", I inform the barperson, beckoning with my fingers in one hand and slapping down a freshly changed 8 copper for 2 mugs of ale. Drinking the first rapidly, I raise an eyebrow and turn my head whilst slowly starting the second drink.
Dec 14, 2015 11:42 pm
Durren nods seriously at Xana, grateful for the opening. "I've heard a lot about Cecily Raptor since I came to Hochoch, and yesterday we saved a young woman in peril. That is good. I want to bring this Black villain to justice, and I'd appreciate the opportunity to travel with you to accomplish that. He needs to be stopped before he can terrorize any more innocents."

He looks at each of you at the table and waits, expectantly. Then he states: "I want to join Dungeon Busters."

You look at one another. It wasn't so long ago that you were just as eager to join Cecily's endeavor, so you can feel for him. But did Cecily talk to you about recruitment? Which of you would handle that?
Dec 15, 2015 9:26 am
"What if you spent some time working with us, and after, say, a week, we decide if you're up for it." I speak up as I finish my last bit of fruit.
Dec 15, 2015 12:13 pm
"Do you have the funds for the membership fee? Training isn't free you know. If you do well, it will be returned to you after a period of time. Consider it an investment." I nod sagely towards him.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm
Thacogygax greets each if the Dungeon Busters with a toothy smile. He listens with interest to the discussion of Durren's recruitment.
Dec 15, 2015 3:59 pm
Aanbo, having finished his morning ritual and breakfast early, greets everyone quietly. He allows them to finish their meal and business with Durren, and says, "I will see to our provisions for Orlane. I assume that is our next destination?"

While Black seems like a dire threat, Aanbo is thinking that unless more information is revealed it is better to address the more-direct need in Orlane.
Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm
Durren nods, considering, and then replies in his strangely lilting voice, speaking archaic and formal Imperial. "I understood it was more of a profit-sharing enterprise. Besides, methinks I shall undertake my training with Cormac, even if I shall be working with you." He smiles at Sara. "My thanks to this gracious lady for the kind offer." He takes a seat and Tap brings him a trencher of porridge. He can't help but stare at Thacogygax's teeth, which look so similar and yet subtly different from any reptilian thing from this world.

"The next question must needs be what path we shall take." As if on cue, Aanbo appears and mentions Orlane.

Rolls

DM roll - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Dec 15, 2015 6:41 pm
Ogbar stares at Durren for a moment, he looks competent enough but he also got in Ogbar's way the day before which doesn't sit well with the barbarian, "You can come with us, just don't get in my way again..."
Dec 15, 2015 6:52 pm
Durren responds gravely. "I extend mine deepest apologies and contrition to thy person, and regret that mine actions imperiled you. My custom amongst the elves hath long been to prevent bloodshed, and I mistook thy attacks as aggression rather than the defense of the innocent I now know them to have been. Mayhap I can make amends to thee; certes I shall try. Forsooth, you are a doughty warrior and I would be thy friend." He completes this with an elaborate bow, made all the more impressive because he's sitting down and eating porridge at a trestle table.
Dec 15, 2015 7:15 pm
"Profit-sharing for members, perhaps. As it is, you are not yet a member" I say matter-of-factly. I sure hope this one doesn't get in my way either. We have a reputation to build. We don't have time babysitting newbies. "I sure hope you're a quick learner, or this could go very badly for you. Things happen in battle, is all I'm sayin'." I wink, and with that I head back to my room to gather the rest of my things. Here's hoping they are all ready to leave by the time I get back.
Last edited December 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm
As the party is eating and talking, more customers have arrived: single farmers coming in after working the fields before the dawn, guardsmen coming off of their shifts, and the occasional traveler. As you are finishing your repast, Devane approaches the table. Good morning, atventurers! Yesterday you whir asking abut Orlane. This morning, dare is a man who has come from Orlane and had some trouble."

Devane directs the group to another table, where a distraught merchant sits, recounting his tale of woe to a few sympathetic listeners. "I was heading down Cecily's Road and they come out the trees, blocking our path. They greets us and thanks us for making a donation to the 'Black fund.' I says I dunno about a donation, and they says they'd be taking our goods for Black. 'Black the Bandit?' I says. 'Not likely!' says Jack, and Gruff draws his sword and spurs his horse forward. 'Black the Butcher!' they says, and arrows come shooting out the trees and Gruff falls. Jack turns and takes an arrow in the side as he yells 'Wellin, gimme your hand!' I grab him and he pulls me in the saddle in front of him and we rides like blazes back here. Wasn't till old Hammer - that's Jack's horse - wasn't till old Hammer slows down that I takes a moment to think, and I find that poor Jack's taken an arrow to the back and is sore in need of aid. He died sometime in the night, as I was taking us back here, to Hochoch. I just took him to Diana. I…I guess I'll have to let his wife know, now, and Gruff's sons. Dunno what I'll do after that; all my goods were on that wagon…"
Dec 16, 2015 10:52 pm
Klak frowns at the lawless behavior. "Perhaps we can be our own merchant caravan and drive an axe through these bandits."
Dec 16, 2015 11:00 pm
I laugh and give him a slap on the back. "Messing with a bunch of bandits? Sounds like fun. When do we leave?" I tried to take whatever wasn't nailed down in the room, but thought better of it as it is surprisingly difficult to haul a bed down a flight of stairs. My size works against me far too often. Anyways, there will be plenty of opportunities to grab some more valuable goods on the road.
Dec 17, 2015 6:04 am
Wellin looks at you bleakly. "While I would thankee for getting Black, I can not offer any other reward, as everything I own is gone." He looks disconsolate, but then adds, "I can introduce you to Rufus, the wagon maker, in case you do want to get a wagon. He might have an old one that he'd be willing to part with for cheap." Wellin receives a bunch of suggestions from the crowd around the table as to job openings that he might consider.
Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm
Ogbar smiles when he hears Klak's suggestion, "Let's go then, we need no reward. The glory of battle is enough for me!"

He stands up and rests the handle of his greataxe on his shoulder, in clear view of everyone.

This is gonna be messy if we fight them today, Ogbar is at 6/14 HP lol
Last edited December 17, 2015 1:50 pm
Dec 17, 2015 5:59 pm
"The glory of battle is reward indeed. Those who strive, the mighty Kord shall bless!

Y'can always trust a dwarf's head in such matters. But why one caravan, why not two? Draw more bandits out to slaughter!"

I start frothing at the mouth as my ideas start to become more violent.
Dec 17, 2015 6:49 pm
I nod in seeming agreement with my fellow group members. My pockets will always find a way to be lined, despite their best efforts to the contrary and all talk of 'glory', or whatever the hell else they're going on about. I somehow manage not to roll my eyes.
Dec 18, 2015 2:59 am
"Yes, I agree. A disguise to lure the bandits out. Let us go see what Rufus can spare."
Dec 18, 2015 1:44 pm
I smile, "A better plan than usual, given that there's actually a plan."
Dec 21, 2015 1:14 pm
Morgran pats Wellin on the back. "Take this lot o'er to Rufus and find us wagons for our expedition. I'll be with you aft'r a friendly swig or two."

Morgran listens to the crowd, hoping to hear of interesting jobs, and will ask around to get more information.
Dec 21, 2015 2:51 pm
Durren listens to the merchant's account. He wants all the more to take down this bandit black - though he wonders what the bandit is doing with all the money he gets. Why does he have Kobolds in his company? The idea of luring Black in seems a good idea. "While you search for this Rufus, I will search out the trainers. If my help is needed, by all means call me back!"

OOC: I'm back! Still in and out, but hopefully more often. I'm actually only 16 and my parents cut down on my internet usage so I was literally cut off for a really long time. SS19, thanks so much for roleplaying me! U did a really spectacular job! Nailed Durren's personality exactly.
Dec 21, 2015 4:23 pm
Aanbo smiles. "I will attend to the wagon, then," he says. "Where can I find Rufus?"
Dec 22, 2015 5:32 am
I give Sara a wry grin. "Yeah, 'cuz plans always work out the way you want 'em to, right?"
Dec 23, 2015 6:46 am
Wellin gladly follows Morgran's advice and leads any party members who wish to go (Ogbar, Aanbo, Sara, Quest, Klak, Xana? Anyone else?) to visit Rufus the Wagoner (Wain Maker). Durren explores the town to find the different class trainers (any particular ones you're trying to find?), while Morgran continues to imbibe whatever spirits he can get his hands on - a good variety.

Rufus is a little slow to understand the scheme and is trying to upsell you to some fancier carriages. Folks who've gone to Rufus can attempt to persuade (roll persuasion) or explain (roll performance).
Dec 23, 2015 7:09 am
"Those are certainly of superior craftsmanship," admits Aanbo, eyeing the fancier carriages as they are shown. "But really, Sir Rufus, we are looking for something less ostentatious. Something very practical, to get us from point A to point B. A floor model, perhaps? Or something with a few good miles on it that's still serviceable?"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Dec 23, 2015 12:43 pm
"Sturdy, the wain must be. Not pretty. Carry supplies, it will...and one thraakon." Thacogygax indicates himself as he says the last. Shrugging, he explains, "Difficult it will be to disguise me as a trader. Hide in a crate or barrel I could..
Last edited December 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Dec 23, 2015 1:27 pm
"We'll be using it to set a trap for Black. See if we can't rid you of the man's influence once and for all." I add.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Dec 23, 2015 1:43 pm
"What she said. But hey, if you wanna donate some fancy ones to the cause I ain't gonna complain. Nicer carriage means bigger bait."
Dec 24, 2015 5:34 am
Klak watches his colleagues assail the wagoneer and keeps his own counsel, certain he would not advance the cause with his direct manner.
Dec 27, 2015 8:43 pm
Rufus takes Aanbo's suggestion in stride, and walks the group over to the floor models. He begins to talk options, but is thrown off his spiel by the towering awkwardness of Thacogygax. "Barrel...?" He recovers quickly, though. "Sure, we can make a deal with Bradley - best cooper in town - right after we work out the details here."

But Sara convinces him in the end. "Oh, very well, I'll be a good citizen and help everybody else out. Suppose it will be good for business in the long run..." He begins calling apprentices over from their tasks and they begin to efficiently equip a sturdy wagon with all the tack. "I dunno what he does with the wagons...at first it seemed like Black was good for my business, but lately demand has dropped off, as people just can't afford to buy them anymore. Many merchants have left town since the trouble on the way to Orlane. I hope you do get to the bottom of it."

Soon the party is equipped with a serviceable land vehicle, and with the help of some other Hochoch residents who are already lauding you as heroes, you are able to get a pair of oxen to draw the wagon. The wainwright's journeymen created an awning cover for the wagon, to shield the cargo from rain (and occupants from view).

Durren, meanwhile, has found the location of four class trainers in town. By the time the party regroups at the Inn of Eternal Rest, Morgran is feeling pretty relaxed.
Dec 28, 2015 9:14 am
So, anything else that you want to do before setting out on Cecily's Road to conduct your masquerade? Acquire costumes, actual goods, other supplies?
Dec 28, 2015 4:38 pm
Aanbo is ready to go whenever the party is. He does not think to disguise himself, content to remain in his robes

He does, however, attempt to find rations and camping equipment for anyone that doesn't have any. Who knows how long they will be on the road?
Dec 28, 2015 5:03 pm
While the others are figuring out the wagon Ogbar will find a long cloak that he can wear to hide his height a little bit. He hates deception but he is willing to deal with it for now on the promise of fine battle later.
Dec 28, 2015 7:38 pm
Durren searches for the trainers, if he finds them he gets pricing and time commitment info from them, then heads back to find his friends. When he does find them, he begins thinking out loud about how to disguise themselves. "What if instead of hiding Thycogygax we use him as bait? If we get a rope of some sort or some other means of securing him, we could act as merchants who have no morals and nabbed a slave along the way. Methinks a dragonborn to sell would indeed be something Black would fall for. Also, I volunteer to pretend to be the bodyguard of the party - though if one of our magic-using friends could shield me that would be desirable, for I will be the prime target of the bandit's attack if and when they do."

OOC: Here's my action of the month! :P I'm searching in particular for a ranger trainer - I am also interested in monk and druid, but I know where they are already, correct? I want cost and time commitment info from them mostly. Thanks again!
Dec 28, 2015 7:42 pm
Aanbo coughs, politely. "I... Well, I don't wish to speak for my friend, but I am hesitant to cast him in that role. For... personal reasons." The monk looks over with an expression of concern towards Thacogygax, gauging his reaction to the idea.
Dec 28, 2015 10:18 pm
Klak has his axes, he's good to go.
Dec 28, 2015 11:07 pm
"This plan is getting more and more plan-like! I like it!"

OOC: does one 'train' to be a better warlock?
Dec 28, 2015 11:42 pm
Thacogygax stares piercingly at Durren. "A fine plan, yours is...but NEVER AGAIN will I be bound. Genuine slavery or pretense, it matters not. Suffer it, I shall not!"

OOC: It really is a fine plan. But this former-slave would never agree to it.
Last edited December 28, 2015 11:46 pm
Dec 28, 2015 11:55 pm
"Huh, when you say it that way..." I ponder for half a moment. "Hey now, would kidnapping royalty for ransom be big enough bait for him?" I grin mischievously while casually flashing my signet ring at my poor peasantfolk companions.

OOC: She will agree to almost ANY plan.
Last edited December 28, 2015 11:56 pm
Dec 29, 2015 10:01 pm
Aanbo nods to Thacogygax and rests a comforting hand on the dragonborn's arm.

"I would imagine that an overabundance of cargo would provide ample reason to attack, and the presence of a guard or two might indicate higher value," says Aanbo, continuing discussion of the plan. He looks at Xana approvingly. "Certainly the reflection of jewelry would attract attention, too."
Dec 30, 2015 2:39 am
"Jewelry! This is not a mere trinket! Anyone who lays their eyes upon it is sure to recognize this signet ring as that belonging to the Duke of Ryshia. I am, of course, his favorite niece." With this, I give him a wink.

OOC: I give a great show, but ultimately I'm not trying to make Aanbo believe me. I just want him to believe that I can sell it.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Performance? - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Dec 30, 2015 6:10 am
Players can make insight checks if they want their characters to potentially be credulous about Xana's noble background (Insight opposing her performance check of 13). Otherwise, you're in on the joke and appreciate how finely she performs the role.

At this point I'm going to abstract the set-up of the charade to a group check. Each character should contribute setting up the wagon as a juicy merchant/carriage for nobility appealing to banditry, themselves as guards, etc. by making a roll, either Deception or Performance, along with a description of what they're doing to disguise themselves and/or the wagon. It's at least Easy difficulty to fool a bandit leader who's just had a bunch of heroes thwart him in Hochoch, maybe Medium (you won't know how well it works until it's put to the test, after all).
Dec 30, 2015 1:44 pm
Ogbar covers himself with the cloak and attempts to walk in somewhat of a crouch to make himself appear smaller as not many people will willingly attack a 6-and-a-half foot, 250 lb barbarian. "I'll act as a guard, and once they've come upon us I will be the first into battle," his eyes light up as he says this. Despite his still serious injuries he is excited for battle and glory.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Dec 30, 2015 4:36 pm
I throw a cloak over my shoulders and walk on the other side of the wagon, bow in hand "They've been ransacking wagons on the route for a while, we should be alert - as if we're expecting to be attacked. But we should be outnumbered. If the wagon's weighed down it will look well loaded, a target worth the effort of a fight for. A few hiding in the back of the wagon should do the trick. Xana, while you make a pretty noble maybe our needs would be better suited if you were a pretty merchant. Flash some wealth, and dress yourself a step above what you'd expect from a traveler in this region."

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Dec 30, 2015 5:16 pm
Aanbo offers to sit in the covered wagon amongst the fake cargo. Perhaps from a distance, no one that can see past the covering would notice his plain robes and short height.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm
I give Sara a look of mock annoyance (with perhaps a smidge of offense at her obvious advice). "It's as if we're meeting for the first time today..." I change into my set of fine clothes and use 'minor illusion' to make the wagon and myself appear to be covered in elaborate gold filigree bearing the mark of my nonexistent Duke. I also produce a stack of ledgers and other official-looking documents regarding trade routes and other such things for me to carry. My pockets appear to be loaded more than usual as I shift myself into the persona of Xenia, daughter of high standing and bearing the brunt of extremely high expectations. Will she ever find a husband who will marry her for love, and not her vast riches? Oh, if only she met the right one!

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Dec 30, 2015 5:33 pm
Thacogygax sits in the back of the wagon, covers himself with a burlap, and does his best impression of a crate of precious cargo.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Dec 31, 2015 3:29 am
Klak considers. "I could ride up front and look like a guard." He takes his shield and axe and readies them with what he feels like is a fearful look of concentration. But, as the shield covers most of his face, mostly it's just some creased eyebrows under a helm.
Last edited December 31, 2015 3:29 am

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Dec 31, 2015 7:59 am
Durren gathers together some supplies for a disguise, making himself out to be a bodyguard for the "Miss Xenia." Soon he's added some scars to his face, a bit of stubble, changed the color of his hair, added a paunch, walks with a slight limp, and altogether looks like a grizzled veteran of many years, who has gone a little bit to seed.

Morgran gives up the idea of a disguise after considering for a moment (and realizing that he's no good at subterfuge). He hops into the back and stays quiet like cargo, only taking brief sips from a flask on occasion.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

Dec 31, 2015 8:21 am
Ready at last to leave on Cecily's Road, "Miss Xenia" clicks at the oxen.

They do nothing.

She sighs, and shifts around to ask someone for some rope. After much fumbling to retrieve hidden packs, someone gives her a 10' length. She wraps a bit around her fist, and then uses the rest as a whip and snaps it dramatically in the air.

The oxen continue to chew their cud.

Exasperated, Xana flails with the rope and slaps the hindquarters of the two animals. Placidly, they lurch into motion and amble down the road. Soon enough, the party's lack of proficiency with land vehicles makes itself felt again, when the road veers and the oxen don't.

In the end, after a long and comic interlude of hauling the disguised wagon out of the weeds, the groups hits upon a more effective strategy. Sara, walking alongside, pushes firmly on the shoulder of one ox or the other when the road turns. An occasional slap of the rope from Xana or a slap with a "beater" arrow from Sara is enough the keep the oxen moving.

In this way, the wagon wends its way out of Hochoch proper, through the East Gate, and through the outer borough to the bridge over the Realstream and east on Cecily's Road. The pace seems slow at first, eager as everyone is to find and punish Black. But the oxen are stolid walkers, and soon enough the city of Hochoch and the Realstream have disappeared in the distance behind you, and the open fields give way to copses of trees. Those copses grow larger and closer together, until by mid-afternoon, you are definitely within the Dim Wood. There are occasional crofters at first, but as the day continues toward sunset and you continue east, deeper into the forest, there is no one else on the road.

Will you continue through the evening?

Rolls

Encounter table - (1d82)

(16) = 16

Dec 31, 2015 4:43 pm
Klak ponders as the day moves towards sunset. "I do not believe merchants would press on through the night - wouldn't they fortify?" Thus, Klak suggests setting down for the night with a capable watch.
Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm
In my most commanding voice. "Everyone, we have a long journey ahead. Let us rest this evening. It won't do for the oxen to be overtired either. Make sure they are fed and watered."
Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm
"Yes," answers Aanbo. "The oxen need rest as much as we do."

Still, the monk is a bit hesitant. "I wonder if our camp would be watched. Would we be giving away our true strength and numbers by settling down? I'd hate to force anyone to have to hide for the entire night, though."
Dec 31, 2015 5:01 pm
"That is a good thought, monk." Klak hadn't thought about exposing our true numbers this way.
Dec 31, 2015 6:30 pm
"I hope these meager rations will do fer a short espionage mission!"

Morgran's words are mostly muffled by the stiff jerky between his teeth as he breaks into his first set of rations to start off the journey. He dequips his shield and loads up his light crossbow, placing it beside him to hide the holy symbol. He does, however, light a stick of incense for the journey and starts spinning a small prayer wheel, muttering nonsense statements about the glory of Kord whilst the road grows longer ahead of him.
Jan 2, 2016 8:09 am
The group finds a clearing in the Dim where the oxen can be staked and still graze. PCs can choose to stay concealed in the wagon (roll Stealth) or help set up a comfortable camp (roll Survival). It is the gloaming now; if there was a sunset, there's no sign of it within the Wood, and it's rapidly getting dark.
Jan 2, 2016 1:38 pm
Once settled in I set about preparing the camp site and gathering some berries and herbs to spice up the flavour of the dried provisions.

OOC Note, my Natural Explorer (Forest) grants me the following bonuses while we are in a forest

- Int and Wis checks related to Forests have double proficiency bonus
- Difficult terrain doesn't slow group travel
- Can't be lost except by magical means
- Remain alert even when engaging in another activity
- Find twice as much food when foraging
- When tracking, learn exact number, size and how long ago they passed

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Jan 2, 2016 3:50 pm
Klak, not having had a concealment job in the first place assists with setting things up around camp. That said, it's pretty evident he's not really got a lot of experience setting up camp. Bedrolls are placed upon small rocks, dirt is accidentally kicked into the fire -- twice. And various pots and pans are dropped at times creating something of a din. All for which Klak apologizes, but alas...
Last edited January 2, 2016 3:51 pm

Rolls

Survival - (1d20-1)

(2) - 1 = 1

Jan 2, 2016 3:51 pm
Thacogygax sends a telepathic message to Sara, who he can hear moving about the camp: "Stay hidden, I will. Ambush us in the night, Black may." The awkward thraakon attempts to remain concealed in the back of the wagon. Unfortunately his scaly tail is sticking out in plain view.

Transmutation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (a short piece of copper wire)
Duration: 1 round
You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.
You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond
the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn’t have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
Last edited January 2, 2016 3:58 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Jan 3, 2016 12:04 am
Thinking that anyone spying on the camp would consider the unarmed monk to be a common peasant, Aanbo helps the camp as best he can.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Jan 3, 2016 5:07 am
Ogbar goes about his tasks mechanically, his mind for to the north in his homeland with his beloved Olga. Hopefully he'd be able to get back to her before too long.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Jan 3, 2016 11:45 am
"A quick stroll can't do a Dwarf any harm. See ya!"

Morgran grabs his crossbow and makes a wide stroll around the camp, checking through the forest for around 10 minutes to see if there are any areas of interests, possible ambush points, creatures or otherwise.

Rolls

Wisdom (Perception) - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jan 3, 2016 3:01 pm
I climb into the back of the wagon while everyone is making preparations and find a spot to take a nice, long nap.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Jan 3, 2016 3:33 pm
Smiling toothily, Thacogygax scoots over to make room for Xana.
Jan 3, 2016 6:40 pm
Quest keeps his weapons stowed to keep up appearances that he is just a common guardsman and helps set up the camp.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Jan 5, 2016 7:42 am
The others are pretty useless - clumsy from a day's worth of riding, probably - but Sara is pleasantly surprised at how capable Ogbar, even daydreaming about Olga as he is. Between the two of them, they soon have a good fire going with good stew in a pot, the oxen hobbled and grazing contentedly, and ground tarps set up for the bedrolls of those who are sleeping out under the stars tonight.

Morgran finds traces of previous camp sites - none recent - and as he is coming back to the wagon, he freezes, seeing a deer not twenty feet from him.

Thacogygax pops his head up out of a box, sees Xana climbing into the wagon and scoots over to make room for her before sticking his head back in the box...not realizing that the rest of him is plainly visible.
Jan 7, 2016 9:16 am
Morgran decides to leave the deer be, and the rest of the night passes...uneventfully. The next day dawns. Everyone rises and partakes of 1 meal's worth of rations. I'll assume that everyone maintains the subterfuge of a merchant wagon until you tell me otherwise. Having hitched the oxen back to the yoke and continuing on the road, the party continues as it did the day before.

The gloom of the forest is relieved occasionally by meadows, and sometimes you can see the signs that homesteaders and foresters are trying to live in the Dim. But for the most part, Cecily's Road is level and the journey uneventful.

There's a bundle of rags lying in the road some distance ahead, dappled by sunlight and shadow. Anyone on foot or driving the wagon (ie, not hiding inside) can make a perception check to see what they can tell about it.

Rolls

DM check - (1d100)

(41) = 41

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jan 7, 2016 1:20 pm
"...wasn't long an' I found tha' deer just standin' by 'self in the woods. Pickin' my nose I was, and it got away b'fore I could reload my crossbow!"

Morgran is facing behind the wagon, chatting casually with anyone who will listen, starting now to pay attention to the grumbling of his stomach.
Jan 7, 2016 1:56 pm
Ogbar changes out his bandages carefully in the night.

Seeing the bundle lying ahead Ogbar is put on alert as he tries to determine what it is.

4 HP again? Ugh
Last edited January 7, 2016 1:57 pm

Rolls

Hit Die - (1d12+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jan 7, 2016 3:58 pm
Aanbo listens contentedly to Morgran's tale, in the back of the covered wagon. Truly there is something to be learned in this. "Indeed, the removal of a pebble in sight of the boulder can yet lead to a larger avalanche of fortune."
Jan 7, 2016 4:18 pm
I stride ahead of the wagon to get a closer look at the pile of rags, attentive to the possibility of an ambush as I do so.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Jan 7, 2016 4:31 pm
Ogbar and Sara both see that the disheveled pile is actually a person just as it hears the wagon and gives a little hopeful cry. "Oh! Halloo there!" You now see that it is a man, probably human, in a homespun cloak and well-worn, simple woolen clothing, who was slumped at the edge of the road. "Please - I need your help! Is one of you a healer?"

This person is about 40 yards ahead of you.
Jan 7, 2016 4:35 pm
"Are you hurt? What do you need?" I close half the distance to the man in a few quick strides.
Jan 7, 2016 5:12 pm
OOC: I guess with that roll it's safe to say Thacogygax hears the conversation between Sara and the guy lying in the dirt?

Thacogygax shifts uneasily in his hiding place. He sends a telepathic message to Sara. "Careful. A trap this may be!" To Xana beside him he whispers, "Hear that, do you?"
Last edited January 7, 2016 5:38 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Jan 7, 2016 8:43 pm
Klak gives the pile of rags a stern stare down from the seat of the wagon.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(13) - 1 = 12

Jan 7, 2016 10:27 pm
(Note: you can all hear the conversation - or the man's side, at least - as he is acting very distressed and is commensurately loud.)

The man is somewhat incoherent, but, with some stops and starts and amidst the sobs of apparent relief, you hear this: "No, not me - it's my son, Devek! He's deathly sick! I've been praying that someone would come along who could help! Can you help, please? I don't know what to do - no one has been coming by on the road, and it's more than a day's travel to the nearest temple!"
Jan 7, 2016 10:30 pm
Ogbar glares at the man suspiciously. It seems like a good set up for a trap, and of course dirty bandits would be well-versed in acting pathetic.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jan 7, 2016 10:50 pm
"Morgran, my friend," says Aanbo. "I think we are needed to help a sick child." He rummages through his pack for his herbalism kit and makes ready to leave the wagon.
Jan 8, 2016 2:29 pm
"My good sir, we are simply not equipped to provide the sort of aid your child needs. In addition, we are already two days behind schedule on delivering these goods and my uncle the Duke is not a patient man! However, your stress and dire needs have not gone unnoticed. We must always help those who are less fortunate." I nod sagely to my companions. "We will send word for a healer as soon as we reach the next town."
Jan 8, 2016 6:19 pm
Morgran pulls his finger out his nose, flicking off whatever he found as discreetly as possible.

"Hold! We are the strong, they are weak. This man has a fighting spirit as well. Tell me, friend, how far is the journey to your indisposed son? And do you have means of payment for the blessing of Kord?"
Jan 9, 2016 8:23 pm
"Morgran, I will appease the avarice of Kord myself if the child is so ill. Lead on friend." Quest is prepared to follow this man, but is weary of ambush.
Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm
Ogbar glares at the man with suspicion.

The rustic is almost comically crestfallen as Xana responds. "Illustrious Lady, I do not wish to trouble you! Would it be p-possible for any of your retainers to look at my boy? We fear...what if he never w-wakes?" He's reached a point where he's run out of tears, and instead he just goes bleak for a moment, trailing off into silence. He does not notice Morgran until he speaks, then the farmer brightens somewhat. "Our farm is not far - just half a mile from here, Excellency!" Clearly the man doesn't know how to address clerics of Kord, or any of you, but he seems to be trying to be complimentary with his hyperbolic titles. "We don't have much, but what we have we will give if it will help in curing Devek!" To Quest he says "This way, Magnificent!" He points out what looks to be little more than a game trail that leads off of Cecily's Road. He bows deeply to Xana, almost genuflecting. "Luminescent Lady, may the gods bless you and the Duke for your willingness to spare your servants to help this miserable farmer recover his son. Devek is my firstborn, and we need him."
Jan 11, 2016 4:28 pm
Aanbo asks quietly, "Are we splitting the group? Some remain here while others attend to the boy?" Clearly the monk is of the mind that someone needs medical attention and will do whatever he can, as he prepares to follow Morgran.
Jan 11, 2016 6:04 pm
"As we walk, I would ask you a question or two. Our party has heard rumors of bandits and other dangers on this road. What have you seen for yourself? Or at least heard if you have not seen first hand these dangers?"

Quest attempts to read the man's reactions for falsehood or deceit (not that he is any good at it really)
Last edited January 11, 2016 10:06 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Jan 11, 2016 9:23 pm
None of you sense artifice in the man, though Quest senses anxiety about his son and hope that help may be at hand. The man's mouth runs fast from relief. "The Great Lord is correct when he speaks of bandits. There are such people in the woods who waylay merchants; they don't bother with poor folk like us Jarls! We just keep our heads down and try to survive on our homestead. My son, Devek, though...he's taken to exploring the woods. I told him! I said 'Devek, the Dim is dangerous; you'd better stay out of it. But he wouldn't stay out, and look what happened!" He turns bleak eyes to you again. "He's young; I did some dumb things when I was a boy, Pelor knows. Almost lost my hand once, chopping wood." He shows a livid scar on his wrist, standing out starkly against his tanned, leathery skin. "But a priest of Pelor came along and healed me, he did. I'm hoping that Mighty Ones such as yourselves can do the same. Nothing we can do will wake him up!"
Jan 11, 2016 10:06 pm
"If there is anything within our power, we shall try it. The plight of this man is clearly getting to Quest.
Jan 11, 2016 10:59 pm
Aanbo will walk with Quest. "They say that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing right. By that extension, something right should be worth doing, eh?"
Jan 12, 2016 12:03 am
"Lead the way, just lead the way and provide us with at least some adventure worthy of a warrior of Kord, and failing that, a mead and meal hearty enough! But don't forget that reward, for yours are the blessings of Kord!"

Morgran trails off like he was reading a tedious passage of saying, and jumps off the cart, rearing to go.
Jan 12, 2016 4:32 am
I sigh. "We are not abandoning the wagon at the first sign of an ill boy. Surely saving him is a task that only requires one, perhaps two of us at most?" I tap my foot impatiently while giving the old man a long, judging look. Figures we'd have to get distracted by this one, and it's barely been two days! I then look around us as if expecting to be pounced upon or laughed at any moment now.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jan 12, 2016 6:12 am
Thacogygax remains still in his hiding place. He hopes he isn't the only one staying with the wagon.
Jan 12, 2016 6:50 am
"Indeed, not all of us need attend," says Aanbo. "Morgran, Quest, and myself can see to the lad."

He looks at Xana with some thought, and adds with a subservient bow for the benefit of any unknown eyes and ears, "Er, by your leave, your Grace, if that may be permitted."
Jan 13, 2016 2:57 am
Klak will ensure his axe and shield are at the ready and clamber down from the wagon and start a patrol. "If we aren't moving, we should move." He says clearly. "To be harder targets for bandit arrows."
Last edited January 13, 2016 2:57 am
Jan 13, 2016 7:50 am
"Oh, thank you, most Gracious Mistress!" the farmer fawns and scrapes for a moment, and then backs away, bowing, toward the game trail leading to his farm.

OK, so I'd like to get a sense of what everyone is doing. It seems like Morgran, Quest, and Aanbo are looking to follow the farmer into the Dim. What is everyone else doing? Will you continue east toward Orlane, stay here with the wagon in the road, look for cover to conceal yourselves and the wagon, set up the wagon as bait, silently track the three going with the farmer, take a long rest, or something else? In particular, what are Sara (steering the oxen) and Xana (driving the oxen) doing with the wagon (as that may color others' responses)?
Jan 13, 2016 4:05 pm
I give Aanbo a cold, hard stare. "A little late for courtesies now, don't you think? Don't forget your place." I give him a dismissive wave and turn toward the others in my group who are staying behind. "We'll move off the road and keep hidden until their return unless any of you have further objections?"
Jan 13, 2016 4:40 pm
"I'll remain here with the cart. Don't be long." I'm not happy with this change of 'plans', but at this point the course has already been set.
Jan 13, 2016 9:48 pm
Ogbar shrugs and leans against the wagon. It's not his problem if they wanna go and get themselves killed in an ambush because they're worrying about some sick kid.
Jan 13, 2016 11:55 pm
Morgran, OgbarQuest, and Aanbo follow the farmer down the path. (OoC: anyone else who is going to join them, speak up now)

The rest of the party looks to find a place to conceal the wagon off of the road again. If you're doing that, you can roll Stealth to work on concealing the wagon or Perception to keep a lookout...or describe something else that you're doing, of course.

(edited to fix tags AND which characters are going!)
Jan 14, 2016 12:10 am
::Oh, I'm going...or Quest is I mean, to see the sick kid.:::
Last edited January 14, 2016 12:11 am
Jan 14, 2016 12:26 am
Yes, just to clarify, I think only Quest, Morgran, and Aanbo were going.
Jan 14, 2016 12:26 am
I keep a lookout for an ambush while the others do what they will with the wagon and oxen.

I thought Ogbar was staying behind?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Jan 14, 2016 12:59 am
(Ooc: whoops! My head thought "Quest," but my fingers typed "Ogbar!" Thanks all for pointing it out)
Jan 14, 2016 3:37 am
Klak is marginally better at hiding things than finding them, so he attempts to assist with hiding the wagon.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jan 14, 2016 4:05 am
I attempt to hide the wagon while looking out for any danger. Why not multitask?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Jan 15, 2016 8:08 pm
On the Road

The characters with the wagon - Xana, Sara, Ogbar, Klak, Durren, and Thacogygax - drive the oxen off of Cecily's Road into the cover of the trees and wait, eyeing the road and the trees nervously. Several minutes pass. The normal sounds of the forest resume: creatures scuttling in the undergrowth, birds calling in the trees. Sara spots something large coming down the road from the east (toward Orlane), perhaps 200 yards distant still; if she had to guess, she figures it to be another wagon. But the trees are tall and the little dappled light that comes through the canopy over the Road does not allow for great visibility.

In the Dim

"Luminous Excellencies, my name is Abel. Abel Jarl!" the farmer calls over his shoulder to Aanbo, Morgran, and Quest as he leads them through the dark forest on the game trail. "I came into the woods twenty years ago, cleared space for my farm, and have been working it ever since, without having to pay Keolish taxes. I've hardly ever been back to town since, except once, to marry Elista, and a couple of times since to buy her some pretties..."

As he continues in this vein, you come to a split rail fence. Inside the fence, the ground has been cleared, though tree stumps still poke up from the sparse grass. You see a few sheep grazing, and at the top of a low rise, a cluster of buildings - some rude barns and a ramshackle stone cottage. A tuft of smoke curls from the chimney.
Jan 15, 2016 9:38 pm
In the Dim

"Abel, does anyone work with you out here? That is, anyone who is not a member of your family? How do you get the things you need...tools and such... if you don't go to town?
Jan 16, 2016 8:00 am
In the Dim, at the Jarl farm

"Honored Zenith, I make most everything we use. Every once in a whiles, a scissors man comes down the road, and I makes sure to buy things like saws if I've broken them."

Abel frowns. "Come to think of it, haven't seen the scissors man lately..." He continues to lead you across the pasture up to the farmhouse. A young girl stands in the doorway and gives a cry of greeting, which Abel returns, waving enthusiastically. "Hello, Emiless! I've bringen help for Devek!"
Jan 16, 2016 6:25 pm
Morgran spent much of the journey trying to scratch a hard-to reach spot on his back. The prayer wheel wasn't very effective, and he quickly withdraws it when he realises the destination has been reached.

"Let's get this over with, my fellow warriors. Show me the ailing one and also...nourishment?"
Jan 16, 2016 6:43 pm
In the Dim, at the Jarl farm

Aanbo lets the warriors label slide, and follows Quest and Morgran to the farm.
Jan 17, 2016 2:55 pm
On the Road

"Quiet." I say in a hushed voice to the others as I prepare my bow, "Something's coming." I remain huddled where I am, bow and arrow in hand, watching and waiting.
Jan 17, 2016 3:18 pm
On the Road

I climb into the back of the wagon and secure Thacogygax. I whisper "Hate to break it to you, but your tail has been out this whole time. Next time ask for help if you're trying to hide..." Then I stand outside the wagon, leaning against it and waiting for whatever comes.
Jan 18, 2016 2:05 am
At the Jarl Farm

The girl, Emiless, runs inside the farmhouse, and the three (Morgran, Aanbo, and Quest) can hear her calling out inside: "Mama! Abella! Papa's brought some help!"

Abel brushes a hank of hair that has fallen over his face back over his ear. "Majestic Worthies, welcome to my home." He bows you through the door. The large room within is dominated by a large fireplace, where a harried-looking human woman is moving back and forth between a cutting board and a pot that's hanging over the fire, bubbling a fine broth aroma to the room. A young boy is tending the fire, while a toddler is playing with a straw doll on the wooden floor nearby, while a sleepy dog wags his tail indulgently. A table is pushed up against the wall on the other side of the room. A door on the left hand wall leads to a cupboard, and a door in the back leads outside. A set of stairs climbs up, and the girl you saw before - Emiless - comes running down the stairs moments after you enter. "There they are, Mama!"

The woman turns, worry lines etching her face. Abel grins. "Here I am, Elista darling! I have brought these Gentlefolk to heal Devek!"
His wife, Elista, looks grimly at the weapons they bear. "No, no, no, my darling - these have come to help! This majestic worthy is a priest!" He claps Morgran on the shoulder.
"Of Kord, the Lord of Battle, Abel?" She turns and then remembers herself, smiling at the group despite her obvious fear of strangers. "Welcome, Virtuous Lords. I beg that you do not take offense at my husband's ignorance of your faith and instead treat us with grace." She's clearly city-bred, and knows more of manners than her husband. "However you have come, we are grateful if you can do anything for our son. We do not know what his sickness is, just that he came home days ago looking pale as a ghost and fell asleep. Come, see for yourselves." She brushes a few more vegetables from the cutting board into the pot and then wipes her hands on her apron. Then she goes over to the girl on the stairs. "Emiless, stir the pot while we visit Devek." The girl goes to tend the pot, while Elista leads the way up the stairs. Abel follows you, brushing his unruly lock of hair back again.

On the second level is a short hallway, with doors leading off to the right. She enters the first door. Following, you find a low cot with a grieving young maid leaning over the body of a dead teenager. At least, he seems dead at first: the color seems drained from his skin, and he seems completely motionless. The girl notices you enter - it's clear that Emiless had announced your approach before - and rises, giving a huge beaming smile of relief that help has come. Then she tries to curtsy and test her knowledge of flowery court language, as only befits such high and mighty people as yourselves. Mabjificent Nobles, welcome! Ant please ye, if ye can do aught to awhist my brother, we employ thee to do so, for our Internal gratitude!" Elista rolls her eyes. "These Wondrous Beings cannot help, Abella, until you move out of the way." Abella blushes and moves to the side.

Near the Road

Just a few hundred yards away, just off Cecily's Road, the party watches as the shape materializes into a large box on wheels, being pulled by a pair of mules. A man sits on a bench at the front of the box, which you see is a type of wagon like travelers use who live on the road, with a roof and walls, rather than canvas over a bed like yours. He draws up, reins his team to a stop, and waves cheerfully. "Hello there! Jonbon the Busker greets you! Ordinarily I'd be worried about bandits skulking in the bushes, but you see, this time I have nothing to steal! That, and you don't look like bandits, what with that wagon on the side of the road. Bandits would have hidden behind the wagon, not in it!"

(edited to close out the boldface speech)
Jan 19, 2016 6:00 pm
At the Jarl Farm

"You needn't fear us, goodwoman, we are not so prickly that misused honorifics will offend us. Indeed, you praise honors us to much I feel. Our purpose in this land is to right wrongs and help those in need, regardless of station."

Quest enters the room and steps aside to let the healers in farther. He know he can't do much himself, but is ready to run and fetch if need be. He does however probe the boy's mind, at first just checking to see if he can even make contact.

"Are you in there lad? Can you tell me what happened to you?"
Jan 19, 2016 6:03 pm
At the Jarl farm

Aanbo moves to the other side of the bed and takes the youth's wrist to check for a pulse. He also places a hand on the forehead to gauge temperature.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Jan 20, 2016 8:30 am
At the Farm

Devek's mind is unresponsive to Quest's inquiry. His breathing is incredibly slow and shallow. At first, Aanbo detects no pulse, and the boy's skin is cold like a cadaver. But then, after a minute or so, just when the monk is convinced there is no life there, he feels the slightest vibration in the boy's wrist for twenty seconds, less like a beat and more like a slow trickle, that the monk recognizes as a very slow pulse. Looking with surprise at the body, Aanbo also sees a light bruise on the back of the hand.
Jan 20, 2016 1:54 pm
Ogbar looks at the talkative man with a raised eyebrow and speaks, "We're no bandits, but we are looking for them. If you're here to help then do so, otherwise you can leave."
Jan 20, 2016 2:42 pm
Near the Road
I yawn. "I'm starting to believe all these rumors about bandits are simply that- rumors. In any case, are you here to entertain us?" I look at the man hopefully.
Jan 21, 2016 1:51 am
Near/On the Road

Jonbon replies to Ogbar: "I'm not sure what I could do to help, as I have nothing to steal. I suppose I could attract them with my fine, fine singing voice! How about it? Are you in the mood for a little song?"

Jonbon seems undaunted by Ogbar's scowl, and encouraged by Xana's comment. He gives a strange little bow on his seat, brushing the heel of his hand on his forehead. "That sounds like someone who appreciates a good song! I can tell you that there aren't any bandits in Orlane, as I've just come from there. But I can sing you the lay of Brigor the Bold, bandit of Blemu!" He half turns in his seat, opens a little door behind him leading into the box, and rummages around for a bit. "Let me just get my lyre..."
Jan 21, 2016 2:04 am
Ogbar's grip tightens on his axe as the man reaches into a compartment behind him to find his instrument. He's on edge with all the rumors flying around and he doesn't trust strangers much to begin with.
Jan 21, 2016 2:44 am
At the farm

Aanbo leans close to the bruise, inspecting it for signs of a puncture wound, or more specifically, two puncture wounds as he is thinking of a bite with poison.

OOC: Unsure of what to roll here, so I'm going with Investigation.

Edit: Adding Perception and Medicine.
Last edited January 21, 2016 3:48 am

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Medicine - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jan 21, 2016 3:15 am
I give Ogbar a wink. I'm certain that will set his mind at ease.
Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am
At the Farm

It does not appear to be a bite; there is only one point, like the prick of a pin. Aanbo does notice that Abella looks particularly agitated, however.

At the Road

Jonbon pulls out his musical instrument and begins to strum a lively tune.

"Brigor was from Bellport, they say,
Though some claim he hight from Kaport Bay
But wherever it was, he couldn't stand still
Particularly when he tumbled the girl at the mill
And so he fled to the wild of the Blemu Hills
There he stayed until that Fateful Day..."

It's doggerel, but it's musical, and the melody of the rapidly plucked strings gets the feet of anyone inclined to music tapping. He's really enjoying himself, and there are many more verses...
Jan 21, 2016 2:17 pm
I shrug, "Carry on. Maybe if you're louder the whole forest will hear ya'." I swing up and sit at the front of the cart with Xara, keeping my attention on the road, and forest, around us.
Jan 21, 2016 2:23 pm
Still hidden in the back, Thacogygax tries to resist tapping his foot and nodding his head in time to the rhythm.
Jan 21, 2016 2:30 pm
Ogbar glares at Jonbon for a minute before turning away to watch for danger. Perhaps the music will draw the bandits out of hiding? he thinks to himself.
Jan 21, 2016 3:41 pm
At the farm

Aanbo moves aside to allow Quest and Morgran to inspect the lad. To Abella, he simply asks, "What happened?"
Jan 21, 2016 4:27 pm
At the Road

Jonbon continues to sing about Brigor the Bandit. Refresh my memory as to what you each are doing while he sings.

At the Farm

Abella, scared for her older brother, is somewhat reassured by the dwarf's calm demeanor. "Devek was out in the woods like we did, sometimes. But Papa found him!" Abel interrupts: "Illustrious Majesties, I was chopping down another tree when Devek came out of the forest from the north, two days ago. He were white as a sheet, and babbling nonsense. I figured he'd seen something as frightened him - there's been signs of an owlbear around, you know, and one of those'd scare the shoes off of anyone. Thank Merikka he's safe, I thinks to myself. But when I gets him into the house, he collapsed. Hasn't woken since, even when I brought him up the stairs to bed."

Rolls

Rolling the road - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Jan 21, 2016 4:52 pm
At the farm

"Ah, good," says Aanbo. To Abel, he says, "Sir, you are no doubt capable and efficient, and very calm in the face of this. Could you please go and heat up some water for us? And bring a few blankets." Aanbo's eyes distinctly pick out Abel to perform this task.
Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Ogbar is standing at the front of the wagon, keeping an eye out for danger.
Jan 21, 2016 5:24 pm
Klak paces about, in time with the music, trying to pay attention to what's going on -- but likely not succeeding.
Jan 22, 2016 9:42 pm
At the Road

Here's what I have pictured:
Xana and Sara are on the buckboard of the wagon.
Ogbar stands protectively in front of them, closest to Jonbon.
Klak is pacing, trying to keep alert.
Durren is standing next to the wagon, ready to follow Ogbar's lead.
Thacogygax is in the bed of the wagon, somewhat concealed.

Klak, please roll a perception check.
Everyone else except for Thacogygax, roll a perception check with disadvantage.

At the Jarl Farm
Abel hesitates, then nods shakily and departs "At once, Righteous Excellency!" Then he is gone, leaving the three of you (Quest, Aanbo, and Morgran) with Devek and Abella. Abella asks anxiously: "Are you going to be able to help him, Noble Apices?"
Jan 22, 2016 10:01 pm
Klak wanders around, trying to pay attention. In doing so he manages to catch the blade of his axe on one of the wheels of the wagon. Turning to it he tries to casually dislodge it, you know, like an experienced adventurer. But his suave efforts have the exact opposite effect and he catches his gauntlet clumsily inside the spokes. And then he drops his shield. The wagon rocks back and forth as he grunts with the effort to get himself free.
Last edited January 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(1) - 1 = 0

Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Ogbar watches for danger!

Rolls

Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Jan 22, 2016 11:22 pm
At the Jarl Farm

Aanbo smiles warmly. "We will certainly try," he says. "It would help us to know what happened. Please, whatever you know."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Jan 22, 2016 11:55 pm
I half listen. It's not terrible, but I was hoping for more in the way of entertainment. I'm gonna have to spice things up, and soon. It's just too quiet. It doesn't suit me.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Perception (disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jan 23, 2016 12:27 am
OOC:
Note, while in a forest my Natural Explorer ability grants me:

It says "related to" forests, and checking online the general consensus is that it's up to the GM if that grants you double proficiency on perception checks etc not directly about a forest, but pertaining to things in a forest (such as the one we're making now). It's a fuzzy line because, one could argue, perception tp detect someone that is, say, hiding a forest, can both be construed as 'relating to' forests, and not. If you decide I should get the bonus, add 2 to my result.

Also, I had posted that Sara was 'keeping watch' and paying attention, so if that changes your mind about disadvantage obviously disregard the second roll.
Last edited January 23, 2016 12:28 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jan 23, 2016 11:54 pm
After inspecting the wound,"Indeed. Has tale of any creature making a mark like this ever come to you here? Even if it has never attacked people...any strange afflictions among your livestock?"

Quest thinks about strange sounds he may have read about.

Rolls

History check - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am
Candi says:
OOC:
Note, while in a forest my Natural Explorer ability grants me:

It says "related to" forests, and checking online the general consensus is that it's up to the GM if that grants you double proficiency on perception checks etc not directly about a forest, but pertaining to things in a forest (such as the one we're making now). It's a fuzzy line because, one could argue, perception tp detect someone that is, say, hiding a forest, can both be construed as 'relating to' forests, and not. If you decide I should get the bonus, add 2 to my result.

Also, I had posted that Sara was 'keeping watch' and paying attention, so if that changes your mind about disadvantage obviously disregard the second roll.
The bonus does apply in this case; thanks for the reminder. The disadvantage comes from having Jonbon the Busker caterwauling in front of you, however.

On the Road

Klak, dissatisfied with the minstrel's performance, is busy adding to the entertainment. Ogbar, Sara, and Xana all notice that the forest has gone very still; the silence is broken only by the clanging from Klak's slapstick routine and the yodeling croon of the bard. The three then hear a sudden crashing in the trees and a shriek of some animal, which abruptly cuts off.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Candi
At the Farm

"No, nothing has come here..." Abella confides, "But Devek goes into the Dim a lot, your Exalted Worships. He loves the woods, and every day he would go deeper and deeper. I went with him sometimes, but I never felt safe being too far from home, what with the snakes and all. So I...I wasn't with him when he found the building. A ruined building, he found, deep in the woods. That's what he told me, and he showed me...this." The preteen girl pulls a small bundle from her apron pocket; it's a coarse linen wrapped around an object. She unwraps it to reveal a small crumbling brick, with a curious impression on one side. It's not clear whether it's been carved into the rock, or pressed into the brick when it was being formed: a circle with a little curlicue coming off of it. Any of the three of you there in the room with her - Aanbo, Quest, and Morgran - can do a Religion check to see if you recognize the symbol. "He said he was going back to explore, and later that day, he came back white as snow and collapsed as soon as Papa got him inside. If only I'd been with him, I might've been able to stop this from happening!"
Jan 25, 2016 10:09 am
Thacogygax tenses up where he is sitting hidden in the back of the wagon. ::Trouble?:: He sends telepathically to Sara.
Last edited January 25, 2016 10:10 am
Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm
Hearing the sound I get to my feet and say sharply, "Quiet!"
OOC:
Add +2 to the result if this counts as "related to Forests"

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jan 25, 2016 3:46 pm
At the farm

Aanbo looks over the marking on the brick and studies the stone itself. He is starting to have his suspicions, but he doesn't know how much he'd be able to confirm given that it's just one brick.
Last edited January 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Stonecunning, INT (History) - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Jan 26, 2016 1:59 am
"Curious..." Quest absently says out loud examining the stone.

Rolls

Religion check - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Jan 26, 2016 2:46 am
On the Road

Hmm, this seems somewhat familiar. I'm immediately suspicious. I look around to see if there is actually a source of the sound, or if it's some kind of illusion. I should know, I specialize in illusions and frankly I'm disappointed that I haven't caused any fun ones lately. Maybe I'll have an opportunity soon? Either way, this game is fun!
Last edited January 26, 2016 2:46 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jan 26, 2016 9:08 am
On the Road

Xana hears some crashing in the woods nearby. Sara leaps to her feet, causing the wagon to lurch and rock a bit. Jonbon is seriously into his finale; he's bringing it on home with a final refrain of

"...And that's why he never ate fruuuuuiiit!"

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Candi
At the Farm

Aanbo recognizes that the brick was not molded from clay. The stone is a local variety of brightstone, a metamorphic rock that the dwarf recognizes well. The symbol has been carefully chiseled out with painstaking effort with a small chisel and a steady hand...or magic. But he does not recognize the symbol.

Quest, on the other hand, does not recognize the type of stone, but he does recall that the symbol represents the disc of the sun and the curlicue is the head of a snake coiled around the sun...a traditional symbol of the ancient sun god, Rav.
Jan 26, 2016 2:32 pm
At the Farm

"...the symbol of an ancient god. A sun god, and one who liked snakes. Out here in the unsettled lands, is unexpected, perhaps there was more to this place in past ages."
OOC:
So do I know anything about the general demeanor of Rav? Being a sun god doesn't always mean "good" based on what I know of real-world myth. Mostly it means an ok guy to invite to parties, but sometimes they had to be appeased. And snakes have sort of the opposite reputation, generally bad but sometimes they are healers and protectors.
Last edited January 26, 2016 2:38 pm
Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm
Ogbar glares at Jonbon, "Be quiet you fool!" and scans the forest for any danger.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm
"Owlbear." I jump from the wagon, prepare an arrow and scan the area. Looking, listening and smelling for signs of where the owlbear is relative to us...
OOC:
Again, +2 if it counts as 'related to a forest'

Rolls

Perception/Survival (same bonus) - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm
"Ooh, sounds like fun." I clap my hands together, and the booming sound of a roaring, screeching dragon echos from a point about 20 feet above me towards the sound of the approaching owlbear.

Ooc: using a minor illusion to conjur the sound

Rolls

Intimidation? - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Jan 27, 2016 10:03 pm
On the Road

Sara listens intently while Ogbar silences Jonbon; she can just hear the thrashing of trees and snapping of branches a little bit to the south of the road to the east, but the trees here are thick enough that there is no sign.

Durren comes alert, rising to his full height from the slouch he'd assumed as part of his disguise. "Owlbear? This wagon willst not withstand the might of such a beast. Mayhaps we should take this musician to safety?"

Ogbar doesn't consider the safety of Jonbon and shushes the weird human. They manage to be quiet enough that the barbarian can also detect the sounds of a large creature moving to the southeast. It seems like it's going to pass them by, when everyone is filled with a sense of something vast and alien (even to Thacogygax) observing them closely. Then there's an overpowering sense of wry amusement that has a few of you chuckling for no apparent reason, and then Xana glows for a moment with otherworldly energy. She claps her hands together, and everyone is somewhat deafened by a tremendous, screeching roar of rage and hatred. Thacogygax was on a battlefield once and heard that noise over a rise; everything had been destroyed utterly by the time he got over the hill.

Everyone is silent for a moment in the wake of that awful noise.

Rolls

Durren's roll - (1d20+4)

DM's roll - (1d20+5)

Jan 27, 2016 10:14 pm
Klak manages to gingerly extricate himself from the wagon and pick up his axe. His eyes shift around nervously.
Jan 27, 2016 10:19 pm
Ogbar flinches from the sound for a moment before realizing the source and glaring at Xana. He grips his axe tighter as he waits for an attack.
Jan 27, 2016 10:20 pm
At the Jarl Farm: Devek's bedroom

Morgran can't help but think of the orphans at the temple, looking at these children. Quest, meanwhile, is trying to focus of his memories of the practices of Rav, but his reverie is interrupted by Elista's hand on his arm.

"What does that mean? Can you do anything to help my boy? We don't have much to offer, but whatever we can provide, we will..." Elista takes his hand in earnest supplication, and suddenly, the room starts feeling a little hot to Quest.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to foolsmask
Just then, everyone in the house hears a tremendous shriek of rage and challenge from outside, and Aanbo feels a thrill of darkness at the sound.

"What in Merikka's name was that?" Abel says, coming back into the room. Elista quickly pulls her hand away from Quest and goes to clutch at Abel. Abella is torn between seeking the comfort of her father's arms and staying by Devek's side.

Everyone in the house, roll perception checks.
Jan 28, 2016 12:01 am
Aanbo walks to a window (assuming there is one) to see outside. He tries to discern the nature of the sound, if it came from an animal he might recognize.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Nature - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Jan 28, 2016 1:24 am
Quest stares back at Elista until the roar draws his attention. Once it is over he turns back to the woman. "You needn't fear. Our mission is to help if we can. We shall uncover this mystery."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Jan 28, 2016 2:06 am
I cough loudly and pound my chest a few times to clear my airways. "Excuse me, must have been something I ate. Now where were we? Ah, yes."

I hop down and take a few long, measured strides towards the busker. "Your performance, while an admirable attempt, was lacking in a certain flair. I hate to say this to such a nice gentleman, but to be honest it was not quite up to snuff. I, however, am a master of the performing arts. I've seen enough to know how to hone the craft to fit any audience. I'm a busy woman, but I see potential in you! For a modest sum, I can teach you what I know."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jan 28, 2016 5:44 am
First, Sara's warning of owlbears, then the ominous feeling of being observed, then the monstrous roar overhead. Thacogygax jumps out of his hiding place, ready for battle. He is surprised to see no apparent threat.
Jan 28, 2016 5:58 am
In the farmhouse

Aanbo goes to the window and opens the shutters. That was definitely a dragon!
Elista looks gratefully at Quest with shining eyes.
Morgran belches.

On the Road

Thacogygax leaps down, ready for battle.
Xana hops down and begins to hustle the minstrel.

Then a shrieking roar resounds from the forest in challenge to the dragon (everyone can hear this, and the people in the house can tell it's coming from the south), and the crashing of trees being smashed and shoved aside rises in volume as a huge body heads straight toward the two wagons. All the characters on the road can now see the tree foliage falling and shaking, approaching faster than a galloping horse.

Durren says "Ah. Methinks...methinks it may be time to take the man to safety..." Jonbon hops to the ground next to Xana...
Jan 28, 2016 1:51 pm
"Durren. Take the minstrel and keep him safe, we'll deal with this." I wave my hand, gesturing in a direction away from the coming owlbear, "The rest of you, lets make the owlbear wish it was a dragon." I ready an arrow and wait for the beast to appear.
OOC:
Note: My ambuscade gives me a free round just as combat starts (after initiative is rolled) with which I can attack or hide.
Last edited January 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Rolls

Initiative (I assume you'll want this) - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jan 28, 2016 1:58 pm
Ogbar steps forward so that he'll be the first in the fray, though he leaves room for Sara to fire her arrows.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 28, 2016 2:39 pm
Still unaware of Xana's ruse, Thaxogygax scans the skies frantically. "Heard a dragon I did! Where?" He grabs random objects from the carriage that he might be able to use as ammunition. Then, he unhitches the horses (these are not battle trained beasts and are likely to bolt when the dragon comes). Torn between climbing onto the driver's seat to gain a vantage point from which to lay his barrage on the owlbear, or crouch behind the carriage to gain cover from the dragon, Thacogygax ends up somewhere in the middle: perched awkwardly on one of its wheels.
Last edited January 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Jan 28, 2016 3:48 pm
At the Jarl farm

"I think it's best if we stay inside, for now," says Aanbo, quietly. He moves along the room, attempting to peer out from any windows or openings at all angles for sight of this apparent bestial battle.

Without looking at the cleric, Aanbo calmly refers to the pale lad on the bed, "Morgran, what can you sense of the boy?" Inwardly, the monk fears that a greater power may be needed to restore the youth's vitality.
Jan 28, 2016 4:26 pm
"Good ears, Thaxogygax! That way! Save us, friend!" I point him in the direction of the owl bear.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm
Klak moves around the wagon, axe and shield at the ready.

Rolls

Klak rolls init... ini... if he goes first. - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jan 29, 2016 4:40 am
Quest rushes down the stairs again and out the front door, stopping a few feet past the threshold. He looks back at the house, up at toward the second floor, then back in the direction of the sound and wagons. He is severely torn about the danger his allies face and the promises he has made to the mother of the sick boy. He paces for several seconds then walks determinedly to the edge of the yard. He puts the butt of his spear on the ground and waits. His vow to help the boy has won over his desire to help his new companions, who are more capable of defending themselves than these farmers are of helping their son.
Jan 29, 2016 6:16 am
At the Jarl Farm

Aanbo can't see anything from the windows beyond the fields cleared around the farmhouse, with Quest standing vigil at the fence.

Morgran has been inspecting Devek with the others, and to the question from Aanbo he replies: "No, the only insight I get from Kord is that this is unnatural - some sort of magical sleep. It does not appear to be a curse, but as the Litany says 'Magic is the curse that curseth not when wielded by the blest...' Wait, no, it's 'Magic is the blessing that curseth when wielded by the cursed...' Yes, that's it. One of those is definitely right out of the Litany of Kord."

Rolls

Rolling a lot of dice - (7d10+21)

Jan 29, 2016 6:27 am
On the road

Seconds have passed since the last screeching roar from the Dim, and the sounds of motion have ceased in the trees. Everyone is straining their eyes and ears to detect where the beast is.

Durren grabs Jonbon, drawing his sword with his other hand, and begins to lead the minstrel toward the path north into the woods on the other side of the road - where Aanbo, Morgran, and Quest went some time ago.

Barely have they taken a few steps when the massive shaggy ursine form leaps out of the trees and smashes onto the front of Jonbon's wagon, splintering it. The front axle snaps from the weight and Jonbon's mules bray in terror as the owlbear's beak and claws slash out...well, one of the mules brays in terror, the one whose back is broken by the claws. The other mule's head is severed by the beak and the PCs at the front of the wagon are sprayed with blood as the mule collapses. Sara makes her abuscade attack.

Rolls

Owlbear initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Owlbear beak attack, damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d10+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Owlbear claw attack, damage - (1d20+7, 2d8+5)

1d20+7 : (7) + 7 = 14

2d8+5 : (81) + 5 = 14

Jan 29, 2016 6:32 am
At the Jarl Farm

"We should get him to town, and the temple," suggests Aanbo. "Let us take him to the wagon and turn the party around. The bandits can wait."
Jan 29, 2016 6:36 am
Round one

Sara will perform her ambuscade attack first, then we will begin rounds in initiative order, thus:

* Sara (17)
* Owlbear (16)
* Thacogygax (14)
* Klak (8)
* Ogbar & Xana (simultaneous on 4)
* Durren (3)

As always, feel free to post your actions/rolls when you can; you don't have to wait to post in order, though they will be resolved in initiative order.

Rolls

Durren initiative - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Jan 29, 2016 8:17 am
Thacogygax sends one of his makeshift missiles flying - a five pound cask of lamp oil.

Rolls

Bludgeoning damage - (3d8)

(275) = 14

Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm
As soon as the beast appears I loose an arrow at it, then another before stepping back behind the edge of the woods to allow my companions who are brave enough to go toe to claw with the beast to engage.
OOC:
Ambuscade: Attack, followed by Attack + Move back a bit

Rolls

Bow Attack - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Bow Damage - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Bow Attack 2 - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Bow Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jan 29, 2016 2:21 pm
Ogbar growls as he feels his skin begin to heat and his vision turns red. He feels the bloodlust washing over his and launches forward like an arrow, swinging his greataxe at the clawed beast.
OOC:
If this thing doesn't kill me first this is going to be one hell of a hit, I think
Last edited January 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Rolls

Greataxe attack on Owlbear - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

1d12+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

Jan 29, 2016 4:13 pm
Damn. And I was just about to earn me some coin! I rush towards the trees in case I need to make a quick escape, keeping the owlbear in my sights. Then I focus my mental energy around its form, marking it, before I send a blast of energy towards it.

OOC: bonus action-hex. Disadvantage on INT ability checks
Last edited January 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Rolls

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Damage - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Hex damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Jan 29, 2016 4:38 pm
Round One, continued

As the enormous monster comes hurtling from the trees, Sara lets fly a shaft that disappears into its mat of shaggy fur at its hip. It lands, killing the mules, and then its head looks up in apparent confusion. This was not the monster it expected to fight; it came apart too easily. Ogbar, Klak, Sara, Xana, and Thacogygax are all struck by the size of this monster; it is fully as large as the busker's wagon, and its head swivels around in swift jerks, its large round eyes searching for the dragon. Jonbon, struggling to his feet after being struck by a flying wheel, and the second arrow that Sara fires draw its attention back to the prey.

Jonbon (1), Durren (2), Ogbar (3), Klak (4), Sara (5), Xana (6), and Thacogygax (7) are all within range of its leap. The owlbear leaps over the barbarian and crushes the paladin into the ground.

Klak is at 0 HP and must start rolling death saves this round.

The owlbear lets out a deafening shriek, trying to draw the dragon out of hiding.

Rolls

Choosing prey - (1d7)

(4) = 4

Pounce with beak - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (15) + 7 = 22

1d10+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Pounce with claws - (1d20+7, 2d8+5)

1d20+7 : (12) + 7 = 19

2d8+5 : (57) + 5 = 17

Jan 29, 2016 4:53 pm
At the Farm

Everyone hears the splintering crash, filtered through the trees, and a screeching shriek of challenge.

Abel replies to Aanbo's suggestion: "Magnificent Masters, far be it from this one to contradict you, but that is an owlbear. Everyone must stay inside until we're sure that it's gone. This one usually doesn't bother with our sheep, being too small and all, but it might take a liking to your friend outside. Valiant warrior though I'm sure he is, you might consider calling him in."

Morgran considers the sleeping Devek. "Yes, Diana could probably help this child. But it might help her to know the source of the affliction."

Quest, standing vigil outside, notes that all the sheep run toward the barns in bleating terror.
Jan 29, 2016 5:27 pm
The oxen, still in the traces of your wagon just within the treeline, go berserk, bellowing in terror.

Thacogygax adjust his aim for the leaping monster and reaches out with his mind, grabbing hold of a small cask of lamp oil, which flings up high in the sky and arcs down with crushing force. The missile slams down on the owl's head.
OOC:
The owlbear gets a dex save to avoid the cask. I believe the difficulty for Thacogygax is 14?
Ogbar froths at the mouth and hacks down at the beast with his axe, carving deep into its shoulder. But he steps in to the line of sight that Xana has, and her shot goes wide as she twitches to avoid her companion. Durren shoves Jonbon into the trees, shouting: "Fly! Fly, man!" and he runs to join Ogbar. "We must all fly - it wants the dragon, not us!" But he can't leave a friend behind, and doesn't heed his own advice, attacking instead. While the blade scythes down onto the monster's flank, it seems to have no effect.

Aside from Klak's death save, that ends round one.

Rolls

Owlbear dodging the catapulted missile - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Durren's great-weapon attack with longsword (2H) - (1d20+5, 1d10+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d10+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Jan 29, 2016 5:32 pm
I take a moment to size up the beast, assessing its age, the effectiveness of our attacks thus far, in an effort to critically evaluate if our best course is to fight our flee...
OOC:
Action to make a nature check. Add 2 more if this counts as "having to do with forests". I will take my Bonus/Move action after seeing the result.

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jan 29, 2016 5:49 pm
Sara assesses that, between the cask to the head, and Oxbar's hack, it is fairly winded and slowing down. Assuming that you can each attack effectively, it's likely that it will kill only once or twice more before you bring down the beast. So far, it hasn't paid much attention to the party, as it still seems to be searching for the dragon it heard; jumping on Klak was just instinctive pouncing at motion. It's not hungry, or it would have eaten one of the mules, so it's looking for a fight and attacked Jonbon's wagon because it was the biggest thing in the road.
Jan 29, 2016 9:05 pm
"It's not interested in us, it's looking for the dragon challenger. If we could give it a dragon, it will continue to be uninterested in us."
Jan 30, 2016 5:56 am
Thacogygax is still frantically scanning the sky as he hits owlbear with a blast of arcane frost. "Where IS the dragon?!"
Last edited January 30, 2016 5:59 am

Rolls

Frostbite damage if owlbear fails CON save - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jan 31, 2016 6:02 am
I point upwards towards the trees in the direction from which the owlbear originally came. "There! It's there!" The thunderous sound screeches dramatically and seems to be headed away from us.

OOC: not sure if this is possible, but the idea is that the sound of the "dragon" seems to be an echo of one presumably in the sky. Kind of a ventriloquism effect.

Rolls

Deception? - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Jan 31, 2016 6:26 am
Klak needs to roll a death save for round 1.

Round two

Here's what I have so far for round two:

* Sara (17) - ?
* Owlbear (16) - looking for dragon, may attack one of the two guys engaged in melee with it (Ogbar and Durren)
* Thacogygax (14) - casting Frostbite on owlbear
* Klak (8) - another death save
* Ogbar (4) - still attacking
* Xana (4) - Xana is trying to lure the monster away with enticing illusory dragon challenge sounds
* Durren (3) - is trying to help Ogbar, which means he will probably attack again if the barbarian continues fighting. if it wasn't standing over Klak, the fighter would drag him to cover (?) under the trees

So I'm looking for the rest of Sara's turn (does she want to defer?), then I'll determine the Owlbear's action and determine results of the rest of the party's actions.

(edit to add Ogbar's declared action)
Jan 31, 2016 6:34 am
At the Jarl Farm

Elista breaks away from Abel's embrace to grab Aanbo by the arm in entreaty: "Someone, do something! It's gonna kill him! First Devek, now...!" She tears away to look out the window fearfully. Seeing Quest standing there, she screams at him: "COME INSIDE! STONE WALLS ARE THE ONLY SAFETY!"
OOC:
The people at the farm hear this clearly, including Quest. Those on the road (in combat with the owlbear or thinking about leaving it) can hear this yelling from the north: a successful DC15 perception check to make out the shouted words, otherwise it's just a woman screaming indistinctly.
Jan 31, 2016 6:36 am
Ogbar continues his attack on the rampaging owl bear.

Rolls

Greataxe attack - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

1d12+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Jan 31, 2016 10:20 pm
Klak has had better days. But, then, any day when an owlbear doesn't try and turn you into a pebble is probably a better day than this one. Today was not a day to be of the mountain. A little more dodging, next time.
Last edited January 31, 2016 10:20 pm

Rolls

Death Save #1: Over or under 10? - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Death Save #2: Over or under 10? - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jan 31, 2016 10:22 pm
OOC:
I had assumed the nature check was my action, if it wasn't, then I shoot the owlbear. Roll below you can use.

Rolls

Bow - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jan 31, 2016 10:50 pm
Candi says:
OOC:
I had assumed the nature check was my action, if it wasn't, then I shoot the owlbear. Roll below you can use.
OOC:
I thought you'd said something about doing a move based on the result of the nature check, thus the prompt.
Jan 31, 2016 10:54 pm
I step back across the threshold of the woods. Putting the remaining wagon, and some tree cover, between myself and the owlbear.
Feb 1, 2016 12:26 am
Round two

Sara assesses that the monster is looking to fight the dragon and tells the group this, fading back into the foliage to the north of Cecily's Road.

The owlbear turns and swats at the annoying barbarian and snips its beak at the fighter before returning its attention to the search for a worthy foe. Ogbar sidesteps the blow, but the beak is so fast it catches Durren in the shoulder, slicing through armor, bone and flesh alike.

Jonbon, hearing the man scream, stops and looks back from the treeline in horror, brushing the heel of his hand to his forehead as if trying to wipe the sight from his mind.

Thacogygax searches the skies for the dragon, and calls upon the magical energies within to freeze the owlbear. But the owlbear is also looking to the skies, and does not notice his attack.

Klak has one success and one failure for death saves: his life still hangs by a thread, beneath the shaggy fur of the owlbear, lying in the dust of the road.

Ogbar heaves his axe around and down, but the owlbear pays him no mind. Then it leaps away from Klak's body, knocking both Durren and Ogbar away as it leaps after the scream of the "fleeing" dragon (attacks of opportunity from the barbarian and fighter are possible here).

Durren slashes (attack of opportunity) at the owlbear, but again the weapon bounces off of the muscular flank. He then staggers over to Klak and tries to drag the dwarf into the trees, not particularly successfully. "Help me while its distracted!" he calls, perhaps to Jonbon, but the minstrel is faint from the sight of the fighter's blood and he does not move.

Rolls

Owlbear selecting prey - (1d3)

Owlbear claw attack on Ogbar, damage - (1d20+7, 2d8+5)

1d20+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

2d8+5 : (68) + 5 = 19

Owlbear beak attack on Durren, damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (16) + 7 = 23

1d10+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Owlbear CON save - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Durren's attack with longsword (one-handed, as his other arm isn't working) - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Feb 1, 2016 3:01 pm
As the owlbear leaps away Ogbar takes a swing at its flank

Rolls

Opportunity Attack - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d12+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Feb 1, 2016 9:07 pm
Ogbar's axe slices at the monster's flank and it gives another shriek of rage and bounds back into the forest to the south of the road.

end of round two

Perhaps as much as a minute has passed since the first cries and Quest's running out of the farm house to investigate, and less than half that since the monster appeared. Durren swoons and staggers, unable to drag Klak any further. The owlbear can be heard crashing through the trees, heading straight south.
Feb 1, 2016 9:59 pm
Ogbar is unable to suppress his rage. The owlbear running away only enhances his anger and he takes off after it.
OOC:
Assuming dashing will catch me up to it so i could possibly make an Opportunity Attack if it doesn't turn around and engage.

Rolls

Possible attack if he leaves my reach - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

1d12+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Feb 2, 2016 4:32 am
Klak is fairly certain he hears the pleasant burbling of an underground stream. Or is that Durren's wound bleeding out?

Rolls

Death save #3: Over or under 10? 1-1 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 2, 2016 1:32 pm
With the owlbear running off I intercept Durren and kneel over Klak. The wounds are bad, but not as bad as he could've suffered at the claws of an owlbear. I tear a strip off of the sleeve of my tunic and tightly bind the worst of the wounds. I look to Durren, "Apply pressure to stop the bleeding, dragging him around is making it more likely he dies."

Rolls

Medicine to stabilize Klak - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Feb 2, 2016 3:17 pm
Thacogygax is relieved that both the owlbear and the dragon have left. "Find refuge we must! Linger here we must not!" He points down the path towards the Jarl farm.
Feb 4, 2016 2:41 am
On the Road

Ogbar races after the beast and slashes it once more with his axe as it bunches its haunches under it and leaps up and through the trees. Showered with broken branches, the barbarian howls with rage as his target leaves his reach. He tries to follow, but the smashed trees make passage difficult, and each moment takes the monster further and further away...

Sara binds wounds for Klak, but it is primarily his will to live that keeps him from death's door.

Klak has two successes and one failure for death saves.

At the Farm

Aanbo, Morgran, Abella, Abel, and especially Elista watch out of the window in trepidation as Quest does not respond to their entreaties to seek shelter. They expect that any moment, a horrible monster will tear out of the trees and devour the Mystic...so they all recoil when the foliage parts and a stranger they've never seen before (Jonbon the bard) staggers out and begins to climb over the fence on his way to the house.
Feb 4, 2016 4:04 am
I peer over at Klak while Sara binds his wounds. "He alright?" I half expect him to jump up at any moment and exclaim that he is pulling a genius prank on us, but something tells me he's not that amusing. I mean, I would've seen some sign of it by now, ya know?
Feb 4, 2016 4:16 am
Ogbar gives up the chase and heads back to the party. He is obviously very grumpy.
Last edited February 4, 2016 4:19 am
Feb 4, 2016 6:27 am
Thacogygax is relieved to see Ogbar return. Nervously, he scans the skies again. "Still about, that dragon is. Seek shelter we must. Come!" He starts off down the path to the Jarl farm, pausing only to gesture urgently to the party.
Last edited February 4, 2016 6:28 am
Feb 4, 2016 6:48 am
Quest moves to assist the stranger onto the property. He moves him to the barn, rather than the house, because he doesn't know who this man. He will however offer aid to a man who seems to be on the run from a vicious beast.

"Who are you friend? What are you running from?"
Feb 4, 2016 10:10 am
At the Jarl Farm

Elista sighs, and Abel comments: "Well, if that Great Master didn't get eaten yet, he's probably not going to be, Merikka be praised. Sounds like the monsters are moving away, too." He pats his daughter Abella gently. "Why don't you see if there's anything these Gargantuan Heroes need in the way of refreshment while I see about this new one in the barn?" He turns to and [color="blue"]Morgran as she runs out of the room. "Revered Dignities, if there is anything we can do to help you heal our son, please let us know....er...let my wife Elista know. I must check on the man your friend is taking into our barn..." With that, Abel bows and also leaves. Elista looks at the dwarves and smiles hopefully.

Meanwhile, Quest has thrown Jonbon's arm over his shoulder and helped him stagger to the barn; he's twisted his ankle running through the forest. Once he catches his breath, the minstrel rubs the heel of his hand on his forehead and says: "I'm Jonbon, the Busker, at your service. I was entertaining some warriors on Cecily's Road when we were attacked by an owlbear. One of the men saved my life, but then he and a dwarf were killed right after he pushed me to run this way. I ran as fast as I could, but some of them may still be alive back there!"

Abel emerges from the house with a spear in his hand, and jogs hurriedly across the open space toward the barn. Just then, Thacogygax emerges from the woods to see the large, open area being used as a farm.

On the Road

There's no sign of the oxen now; they ran off in different directions. Conscious party members other than Sara can attempt medicine if they wish, or do something else. Klak should roll another death save.
Feb 4, 2016 12:20 pm
"Sara, who taught you how to apply bandages? This is all wrong! That's it, out of my way. Clearly my medical training is much more extensive than yours. Let me have at it!" I take great pains to remove what she's done and then replace them in nearly the identical way that she has, gently.
Last edited February 4, 2016 12:20 pm

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Feb 4, 2016 5:10 pm
Aanbo speaks to Morgran once the chaos has settled. "We should get him back to town. The temple will have better facilities to care for him, while we investigate what might be the source of his ailment."
Feb 4, 2016 9:22 pm
OOC:
Klak is uncertain if he should roll again?
Feb 5, 2016 1:35 am
Xana has stabilized Klak; while he remains unconscious (at 0 HP), he is no longer bleeding toward death. "Good work, 'Xenia'" Durren remarks, as he struggles to his feet again. With his one good arm, he ruefully gestures at the blood soaking his tabard. "Indeed, 'things doth happen in battle.' " Sara and Ogbar neither see nor hear any further signs of movement from the trees.
Feb 5, 2016 3:57 pm
"Well, the oxen are gone so our cart is stranded. How's the minstrel, he alright?" I look to Durren who was the last one I saw with the man.
Feb 5, 2016 4:22 pm
Durren is struggling to wipe his sword clean with one good hand. He nods towards the game trail to the north, where Aanbo, Morgran, and Quest left half an hour before. "The singer hath gone that way. The dragonman also."
Feb 5, 2016 4:55 pm
"Huh. Didn't even notice he left." I look at the minstrel's cart to see if anything can be "salvaged".
Last edited February 5, 2016 4:55 pm
Feb 5, 2016 10:07 pm
Coming out to see Thacogygax coming out of the woods Quest waves him over. "What news! This minstrel said you were attaked. What was it? Is anyone wounded?"
Feb 6, 2016 2:01 am
"Attack us, owlbear and dragon did. Wounded Klak the owlbear did. Follow me here I hope our friends will."
Last edited February 7, 2016 12:43 pm
Feb 6, 2016 1:46 pm
I shrug, "As you will Xana, but we should go looking for him. Went in the direction the others went, perhaps he found the safety of the farmhouse." I set off after Thaco along the path. There's no point in guarding an empty cart with no oxen to pull it.
Feb 6, 2016 4:21 pm
As Sara leaves along the game trail, Xana steps around the carcasses of the mules and up into the broken remains of the boxy wagon; though the back doors are still shut and locked, the front of the wagon has been crushed down and split open by the weight of the leaping owlbear.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Moofsalot
Durren, waiting by the side of the minstrel's broken wagon and watching the woods, calls over his shoulder to Xana: "Dost thee see aught that can be salvaged for Jonbon?"

Ogbar remains in the road, his blood lust slowly fading, near the prone body of Klak.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Naatkinson
Feb 6, 2016 4:36 pm
In the stone farmhouse, Morgran is visibly torn between his desire to rush outside to confront danger and his compulsion to help children in need. After a few moments, he nods in response to Aanbo and addresses the young mother Elista: "By Kord's sword, the monk has the way of it. We should take your son back to Hochoch for prayer at the temple. We can use our wagon; our party will be enough to protect him from any brigands on the journey."

Outside, Abel Jarl looks in alarm at the gigantic form of Thacogygax, the farmer's spear dangling forgotten in his hand. Quest seems to take the presence of the dragonman in stride, so Abel closes his mouth and approaches. "Opulent Tremendousness, is this one a friend of yours?" Jonbon remains in the barn.

Moments later, Sara emerges from the woods into the land that the Jarls have cleared for their farm; she sees the Mystic and the Storm Sorcerer talking to a man with a spear (Abel) near a set of farm buildings.
Feb 6, 2016 5:56 pm
Turning to the farmer, "Indeed it is, do not fear him. He is from a strange land unknown to us, but he is a true and dedicated companion." Quest pauses to think for just a moment before continuing. "I think we need to get the injured, including your boy, back to the village. Once they are safe from the wild wood, we will return and seek this temple. I believe the answer we seek lies there. Do you have a cart, that we may genteelly, and safely, carry your son back to our wagon?"
Feb 6, 2016 6:20 pm
"We will need oxen, or some other beasts of burden. Ours fled when the owlbear appeared, and the minstrel's mules, regrettably, were killed. Klak is also injured. Stable, but unconscious. Xana and Durren are with him and the carts. We should get back to them, I don't feel comfortable leaving them so exposed."
Feb 6, 2016 10:59 pm
Aanbo prepares to move the lad. "Lead the way," says the dwarf.
Feb 7, 2016 6:35 am
"You know, I don't think much can be salvaged for Jonbon but it's hard to say. I'll have to have a good chat with him. For now I guess we'll just have to babysit this one and make sure he doesn't die." I give Klak a nudge with the toe of my boot.
Feb 8, 2016 7:21 am
In the Farmhouse

It's clear that Elista, while terribly worried about her son Devek, isn't all that sure about letting these strange dwarves carry him away. Morgran lacks a certain bedside manner; he's pontificating about how your group will "enact vengeance upon the evildoers who killed your boy, just as the great scroll of Kord tells us to do!"
OOC:
Aanbo could try to persuade her of the sense of this idea; if so, make a persuasion check.
Outside at the Farm

Abel nods. "Yes, Eminent Enormousnesses, I have a cart that I sometimes use to take wool into Hochoch." He takes you to a smaller barn and begins to unload a bunch of tools from the simple hand cart there. "You are welcome to use it, but to take my boy...?"
OOC:
Sara or Quest might also try to convince him.
Feb 8, 2016 3:54 pm
"The temple at Hochoch has the facility to care for your boy," Aanbo says calmly. "Abella may accompany us if you would like a family member along."

As an aside to the mother, Aanbo says with a wink, "The priests there also have better... bedside manners."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 8, 2016 5:08 pm
At the Farm

Aanbo's calm, cheery disposition reassures Elista, and she nods assent. Morgran gently hefts the comatose boy and the two dwarves proceed downstairs and out the door, with Elista and all the children in tow. They join the group of Abel Jarl, Sara, Thacogygax, and Quest in the yard. Abel looks startled at this procession, but Elista nods: "They're going to take Devek to the temple in Hochoch, Abel." Morgran sets Devek gently on the hand cart that Abel has just cleared.

Abel is grateful that such "Luminescent Monuments" are willing to care for his family, but he is torn between abandoning his family and abandoning his son to the care of strangers. Jonbon emerges from the barn and plays some music sweetly.

In the end, Abel relents, deciding that Elista and the other children will be safe enough in the farmhouse. Jonbon offers to stay in the barn as lookout, and Abel is comforted that someone will be there to protect the Jarls. Abel insists on pulling the cart on the trip to Hochoch and the group sets out, with the Jarl family following with well wishes. Arriving at Cecily's Road, Elista pulls out an assortment of country simples, which she uses to apply to the wounds of Ogbar, Durren, and the unconscious Klak. Then, with tearful goodbyes and well wishes, the Jarl family waves farewell to the party as they head back west toward Hochoch.
OOC:
Elista's care works as applying a healer's kit, so Klak can roll hit dice to recover. Afterward, Durren or Ogbar can ride in the cart to rest and spend hit dice as well.
Feb 8, 2016 5:43 pm
Aanbo pushes the cart. He relays the suspicion that a ruined building deep in the woods may hold a clue as to Devek's predicament. Unfortunately, nobody but Devek knows of its location. Aanbo does say this within earshot of Abel, hoping the farmer's knowledge of the land would provide a direction.
Feb 9, 2016 6:58 am
Abel frowns to himself. "But I told him..." He looks at you. "Honored Exultancies, Abella told me they'd been exploring and that they'd found some kind of ruin. She was afraid to go in, and she told me about it. Of course I forbade them to go back! Willful boy!" He fumes for a few minutes, then subsides as he looks at his deathly son. "I...I hate to impose on Monumental Paragons of Virtue such as you, Wondrous Masters, but if there's anything there that can be done to help my boy or prevent anyone else from...fr-from getting like he is...then would you? P-Please? I'll have Abella guide you to where they explored last; I'm sure it's close to there..."
Feb 9, 2016 7:03 am
Aanbo nods. "We will investigate," he says, trying to convey assurance. "We all know the impetuousness of youth; let us work now to ensure he learns his lesson, eh?"
Feb 9, 2016 6:13 pm
OOC:
Rolling hit dice for the injured currently-NPC party members Klak and Durren.
As the party continues back to Hochoch, Klak recovers consciousness, Elista's healing simples having had their desired effect. Aanbo stops the cart so that his dwarven companion can get off, and the wounded, weirdly formal human Durren gratefully takes his place on the bed of the cart. While there isn't room for her to ride, Xana notes that at least she doesn't have to deal with the oxen (which Sara notes as well). Xana tells Klak about how she rescued him and walks ahead of the cart, giggling. Thacogygax enjoys being able to stretch his legs this time.

Rolls

Klak HD recovery - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Durren HD recovery - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Feb 9, 2016 6:15 pm
Ogbar takes this opportunity to rest.
OOC:
Rolling HD

Edit: Wow... I've rolled 2, 2, 1 for Hit Dice so far, that's awful! Oh well, almost back to full!
Last edited February 9, 2016 6:22 pm

Rolls

Hit Die - (1d12+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Feb 10, 2016 5:04 am
As soon as Klak is awake (the moment his eyes pop open), I will stand above him and say "I saved your life. You're welcome." And then I walk away and giggle to myself.
Feb 13, 2016 3:28 pm
Klak watches the sky move past as the cart rolls along and quietly considers how this isn't the most heroic way to get back into town.
Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm
Some time later that afternoon as the party proceeds toward Hochoch, the hopeful smile on Abel's face falls, to be replaced by a brooding cloud.

"He...he tricked me! That minstrel! He used magic on me!" He looks furiously back down Cecily's Road and takes a few steps back to the east. Then he slows and stops, looking suspiciously back at the rest of you, particularly Aanbo trundling along with the hand cart bearing his son Devek. He's felt nothing but support from the two dwarves, and yet he's been separated from the rest of his family by a stranger, and yet they are taking Devek to a known healer... He trots back and confronts Aanbo with both anger and hopefulness: "Opulent Graciousness, what do you know of this minstrel, Jonbon? You know him well? He's trustworthy?"
Feb 20, 2016 6:44 pm
Aanbo stops. "I've never met him," he says, honestly. "If you say that the minstrel charmed you into leaving, you are justified in your worry. I will go with you back to your homestead. The others can take your son and our wounded the rest of the way."
Feb 21, 2016 7:15 pm
Klak sits up in the cart and holds his head. Taking off his helm, he notes a particularly nasty, and uncomfortable dent and begins to work at it with makeshift tools such as he can find about him. Ting, ting, ting.
Feb 21, 2016 7:46 pm
"Explain." Thacogygax says to Abel. "In danger your family is? Know this minstrel we do not." The sorcerous thraakon attempts to get a sense of what enchantment, if any, has been laid on the farmer.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Feb 22, 2016 12:22 am
I shrug. "I'm not that surprised. So now what?"
Feb 22, 2016 12:33 am
Aanbo stops his progress and gestures in the direction of Hochoch. "Get the wounded back to town. Whoever wants to accompany me back to the farm is welcome to." He turns to lead Abel back to his homestead.
Feb 22, 2016 1:50 am
Quest hesitates, unsure which direction he should go. "Yes, goodman, the minstrel is unknown to us. We took him for a simple traveler. What makes you think he charmed you?"
Feb 22, 2016 2:53 am
"Splitting one's forces..great folly this is." Thacogygax mutters, shaking his head.
Last edited February 22, 2016 2:54 am
Feb 22, 2016 3:08 am
"What would he have wanted with your family anyway? Something you're not telling us?" This isn't the party I signed up for. Everyone is being SO SERIOUS.
Feb 22, 2016 3:39 am
Ting, ting, ting. "He wasn't even a very competent singer. Not charming at all." Klak offers, between tings.
Feb 22, 2016 3:44 am
"I know! I'm at least twice as charming as he! I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed." I give Klak a clap on the back.
Feb 22, 2016 4:04 am
Klak winces, but nods his agreement.
Feb 22, 2016 9:23 pm
Abel grimaces. "Gargantuan Promontories, forgive my suspicion. I know that I did not wish to leave my family, but then the minstrel played his song and I was convinced that taking Devek to town and leaving him there was the best thing I could do...I mean, accompanying a bunch of strangers to take my first-born child does make sense, but not leaving the musician there..."

He looks sheepishly at the party. "Not to say that there's anything untrustworthy about you, Awesome Gentlefolk, of course! But I'm not sure of the singer, and I was certain of his trustworthiness as soon as he sang to us!"

He shakes his head in angered indignation. "I can only think he wove a spell with his voice! But why??"

Dusk is creeping across the bit of sky visible above the trees as the sun drops below the distant mountains. Anyone wishing to take the cart to Hochoch has maybe 14 hours of hauling ahead of them. The Jarl homestead is a couple of hours distant at the rate of hauling a handcart; determined hikers could make it in half that time without the cart.
Feb 22, 2016 9:59 pm
"If you are worried that the minstrel means harm to your family, I will go back there and see to their safety. My fellows can care for your son. They will see him to the temple, and when they return we will follow your daughter to the location where your son was injured and deal with whatever dark power resides there. It is your choice, my good man, stay with your son who is in danger or return to the land where others might be."
Feb 22, 2016 10:29 pm
OOC:
How far are we from town?
Feb 22, 2016 10:37 pm
"I can see to that songweaver as well. My talents lie in putting dastardly men in their place."
Feb 22, 2016 11:14 pm
Aanbo has already taken off for the Jarl farm. On the way, he contemplates his meditative exercises, hoping to steel his will against the minstrel's arcane magicks.
Feb 23, 2016 3:47 am
"I will escort the sick boy."
Feb 23, 2016 1:50 pm
"I will remain with the sick boy, as Aanbo has already set off for the farm." I suspect that, next to the monk, I'm likely the most skilled with medicine in the group. While the child is stable now, who knows what could happen over the journey back to the town.
Feb 23, 2016 2:39 pm
"Join you I will." Thacogygax says to Klak and Sara. "Perilous the road is."
Last edited February 23, 2016 2:43 pm
Feb 24, 2016 8:27 am
falryx says:
OOC:
How far are we from town?
With the hand cart bearing Devek, 14 hours of travel, not counting rest periods.
Without the hand cart, half that (though I don't think anyone was talking about leaving the cart).
Feb 24, 2016 8:35 am
Quest, Xana and Durren leave with Abel, to go back to the house. "It's probably nothing, your Gigantic Zeniths! We'll get there, everything will be fine, and I'll return to join your friends again, catching up to the cart before they arrive at Hochoch! Thank you, Edifices of Honor," Abel says to Klak, Sara, Thacogygax, and Morgran, "Whatever I can do to repay your effort, I will do to my dying breath. You have my eternal gratitude!" Those four continue with the cart while the Mystic, Warlock, and Fighter escort Abel back to his home, on the way to catch up to Aanbo, who forged ahead on his own earlier.
OOC:
As for Ogbar, I suspect that he'd go back to the farm with Abel and the others, but let me know if that's wrong.
Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am
Nearly a full hour later, Aanbo arrives back at the site of the owlbear attack. Flies coat the carcasses of Jonbon's mules, and the sight of this wreckage is his landmark for the game trail that leads to the Jarl Farm.
OOC:
Aanbo, roll a perception check.
Feb 24, 2016 1:45 pm
Ogbar does indeed follow Abel back to the farm, hoping to see some action on the way.
OOC:
Sorry, I thought I had posted!
Feb 24, 2016 3:48 pm
Aanbo plants his feet in the dirt, kneading the soil with his toes. He extends his senses outward in an attempt to feel his surroundings.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Feb 24, 2016 4:26 pm
Aanbo feels the loam of decades of leaves. He smells the mold and the blood of the mules. He hears the soughing of the wind in the high branches. He is at one with the forest.

He also sees wagon tracks between the game trail and Cecily's Road to the east.
Feb 24, 2016 5:03 pm
Aanbo stares at the wagon tracks, assessing if they are newer than the party's previous ruse (did we abandon the wagon?) and the minstrel's shattered transport.
OOC:
Just to confirm, Cecily's Road to the east is where we were going before we stopped? That is, we came from the west?
Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm
The wagon tracks cross over the previous wagon and cart tracks, so Aanbo is certain they are newer. Since the party left, someone has driven a cart to the game trail from Orlane, or driven a cart from the game trail to Orlane.

Looking more closely, the dwarf recognizes that there are the marks of an ox's hooves in between the wheel tracks; their direction indicates that the wagon was leaving the game trail, heading east.
CancerMan says:
OOC:
Just to confirm, Cecily's Road to the east is where we were going before we stopped? That is, we came from the west?
Correct; west is Hochoch, east is Orlane.
Feb 24, 2016 5:20 pm
A tch escapes Aanbo's lips as he turns up the game trail, and takes off running for the Jarl farm.
Feb 24, 2016 5:31 pm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to CancerMan
A few minutes later, Xana, Ogbar, Quest, and Durren arrive with Abel at the site of the owlbear attack. Any of them can roll perception checks if they wish.

Rolls

Durren's perception - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Feb 24, 2016 5:34 pm
Ogbar examines the area.
OOC:
Wow!
Last edited February 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Feb 24, 2016 5:37 pm
Aanbo tries to quell the sinking feeling in his stomach as he arrives at the farm.
CancerMan sent a note to spaceseeker19
Feb 24, 2016 6:23 pm
"Hmm, where'd they go off to..."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Feb 24, 2016 8:38 pm
Durren calls for a pause as Abel makes his way anxiously toward the game trail leading off of Cecily's Road to his home. "Prithee, wait, gentlefolk. I hath espied fresh wagon tracks..." The antiquated human points out the fresh marks.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Naatkinson
Feb 24, 2016 8:43 pm
"These wagon tracks come FROM the farm, heading east. A wagon led by one ox... " he says, pointing to the wagon tracks, then points at Aanbo's tracks, "and these here belong to the little one. Looks like he started running when he got here to check on the farm."

This task brings a sense of peace to Ogbar who is reminded of his years following the caribou herds in the frozen northland.
Last edited February 24, 2016 8:44 pm
Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm
CancerMan sent a note to spaceseeker19

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Feb 24, 2016 10:29 pm
Durren nods, seeing what Ogbar described, now that the barbarian has pointed it out to him. He frowns, then stands and inspects the bushes. "Forsooth, mine eyes doth espy that the wain that we didst purchase from the wright, Rufus, is no longer where we left it." Ogbar, bringing his tracking skills to bear, sees even further: someone brought an ox, hitched it to your wagon, and then drove it north into the trees toward the farm. Some time later, the same cart returned to Cecily's Road and headed east.

Abel is impatient. "Gracious Lords and Lady of all Plenipotence, I understand your concern about your wagon, but as for me, I must continue to see my family safe!" With that, he continues into the trees along the northern path toward his farm.

Feb 24, 2016 11:04 pm
After giving the house a once-over, Aanbo exits via the door and makes for the trail. Assuming he meets Abel on the way, Aanbo relates his discovery (including the spice smell, is it flavorful?). "I can only assume your family is with the wagon that headed east," he concludes.
Feb 24, 2016 11:38 pm
As the twilight deepens into darkness and the first stars are becoming visible, Aanbo meets Abel as the man is hurrying out of the woods toward his house. "What? Gone??" Abel slumps to the ground, his legs giving out in his shock. "Why? Why would they go?"
Feb 24, 2016 11:43 pm
"I only know that the house is empty," admits Aanbo. "Do you have hiding places that they would escape to? Are there destinations nearby that they would make for? Otherwise I am inclined to think they might have fallen victim to the same enchantment you were under. I really do not want to assume, but I am considering pursuit of the wagon despite the nightfall."
Feb 24, 2016 11:44 pm
Meanwhile, some hours to the west, night is falling on the group trundling the hand cart bearing Devek back to Hochoch. Thacogygax is really starting to feel blind in the darkness under the trees, while Sara and Klak can still see. But it is Morgran that has to reassure them that the boy is still alive. To all appearances, Devek's cold, inert body is a corpse, and they keep having to shake off morbid thoughts that they're taking the body to a funeral.

Will this group continue marching through the night, or find a place to camp?

Rolls

Mystery DM roll, mystery DM roll #2 - (1d20, 1d8)

1d20 : (14) = 14

1d8 : (4) = 4

Feb 24, 2016 11:48 pm
Ogbar shows up moments later, having followed Abel here, he listens to Aanbo's report and growls, "He's a coward, using magic tricks to deceive people... We must find and kill him. Cowards deserve no mercy from us."
Feb 24, 2016 11:51 pm
CancerMan says:
"I only know that the house is empty," admits Aanbo. "Do you have hiding places that they would escape to? Are there destinations nearby that they would make for? Otherwise I am inclined to think they might have fallen victim to the same enchantment you were under. I really do not want to assume, but I am considering pursuit of the wagon despite the nightfall."
Abel rouses himself as Ogbar, Quest, Xana, and Durren come out into the farm's clearing, following the older wagon tracks. Abel calls out to his family members as he spends the next several minutes rushing around inside the farmhouse and barns to confirm what Aanbo has told him. "Elista! Wenderly! Abella! Emiless! Torren!"

Eventually, he winds down, dejected, and nods in agreement with Ogbar's pronouncement. "Yes...yes, I must go after them. On foot I will be faster than a wagon, and I may yet catch them before they reach Orlane..." He goes to retrieve his spear.

Rolls

Abel's perception - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Feb 25, 2016 4:41 am
I lick my entire hand, then hold it up into the air. "This was a trick an old man once taught me. Sometimes the winds can guide us..." I close my eyes and try to "sense" which way the wagon and/or the ox driving the wagon has gone.

At Ogbar, I open one eye and say "A coward, is he? Using his magic to his advantage? Well, I suppose not everyone can have the mental fortitude and wit of one such as Ogbar. Cowards, all of them." Then I close my eyes again and try to feeeeeel where the family went.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Feb 25, 2016 7:20 am
Xana is not sure where the family went, because the only fresh prints are from the ox and an adult male - presumably Jonbon. He made several trips back and forth, perhaps loading stuff from the house into the wagon, but who knows what that would be. If she wishes to, Xana is easily able to track the path that the wagon took, first south along the path through the woods, then turning east down Cecily's Road toward Orlane.

Aanbo can elaborate, but anyone who goes inside will see that it looks like everyone in the Jarl family just vanished in the middle of a meal; there's no sign of struggle or violence. Everyone is just...gone.
Feb 25, 2016 12:59 pm
"It is true, the cart must be in Orlane." While everyone stands around, I try to find a small woodland creature in the vicinity to have a little chat. Perhaps a bird or a squirrel will have more information?
Last edited February 25, 2016 1:25 pm
Feb 25, 2016 1:01 pm
"The boy's condition looks quite bad, we should press through the night. Light a torch if you must and cannot see."
Feb 25, 2016 4:01 pm
Beyond being a devotee of Kord, Morgran is also just naturally of a temperament that prefers the flash of lightning to any steadier form of illumination, so he eschews lighting a torch for the strange giant reptile companion. Instead, he leads Thacogygax by calling out directions in the darkness, interspersed with what are surely malapropisms from the Book of Kord. "Kord is Nighty, Kord is Great! The Tower of Kord is without equal! A little to your right, there." Until the draconic alien comes up with his own light source, he finds this a strange trust exercise: the religious quotations of the dwarf are often confusing, but the actual directions are unerring.

Klak, who, in his devotion to Clangeddin has never encountered someone so prone to misquotes, has to wonder. Is Morgran mocking his faith, is the faith so nonsensical, or is the dwarf just sloppy in it?

Sara, meanwhile, senses the presence of the animal long before it comes to investigate the dwarf's litany, so she is not surprised when a brown bear ambles into the road from the trees ahead of the group. It sniffs the air and huffs a deep grunt in your direction.
Feb 25, 2016 4:04 pm
I stop the forward motion of the cart and hold up a hand, "Be still, but stand tall." I stare down the bear and consider non-violent options for getting such a creature to leave us be, and return safely to the woods.
OOC:
If this counts as "having to do with forests" add +2 to the nature check; no extra bonus on animal handling though
Last edited February 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Rolls

Nature at +3; or Animal Handling at +1 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 25, 2016 10:39 pm
Dismissing the Jarl goats as not even worth trying to talk to, Xana spies four different creatures that she could engage in conversation: a rat, a chicken, a squirrel, and a crow.
Feb 26, 2016 7:46 am
Sara knows that, unless the bear is angered, it'll be more interested in food than fighting. The party could avoid fighting this bear if they can give it fresh meat or something sweet to eat. Effectively blind in the darkness, Thacogygax heard the direction to stand still and tall, but has no idea why yet. The bear ambles toward the group, clearly visible to the others.
Feb 26, 2016 10:57 am
Thacogygax has no clue of the nature of the threat but his training tells him trust in one's comrades is vital to a unit's survival. He heeds Sara's command and freezes in place. He sends to her telepathically: ::What is happening?::
Last edited February 26, 2016 10:58 am
Feb 26, 2016 5:06 pm
"Hello, chickens. How are you doing? Mind if I ask a few questions about that nice family that feeds you?" I stand about a foot away from the chicken coop and watch them with interest.
Feb 26, 2016 6:13 pm
While there is a coop, it is open and the chickens are walking the yard now. Xana approaches a hen and speaks to it.

"I'll answer, but I'm hungry. Got any meat?" the chicken clucks. "I'm not finding any bugs, and all they feed us is grain. I want some meat!"
Feb 27, 2016 6:55 pm
Klak mutters quietly to himself, but makes sure his shield and axe are ready in case things turn poor. Bears are not a common critter down in the realm of the dwarves -- unless they're asleep for the winter and then they really don't bother anyone.
Feb 28, 2016 9:04 pm
At the Jarl farm

While Xana is pumping the chicken for information, Abel has retrieved his spear. He lights a lantern with fumbling hands and then begins to head south on the trail through the woods back to Cecily's Road.

On the road to Hochoch
Thacogygax is standing still, but he can now hear the snuffling of a great beast. In the faint moon- and starlight filtering through the trees, the alien is able to make out a large, shaggy shape just a few yards away, shambling toward him. It looks vaguely like a smaller version of the owlbear they fought earlier, and it's headed right for Thacogygax and the comatose Devek on the hand cart. The rest of the party can see that the bear, while not hostile, is steadily advancing toward the dark-blind dragonman.
Feb 28, 2016 9:09 pm
"It's a bear" I respond in thought. Then I say out loud, hushed, "It is probably hungry, and is not aggressive if we don't threaten it. Do we have meat that we can give it, toss some rations into the woods off by the road and we can carry on our way."
OOC:
Sorry! I thought I had posted, but apparently I only dreamed about doing so.
Feb 28, 2016 9:20 pm
Aanbo accompanies Abel, hoping to keep up with the farmer.
Feb 29, 2016 8:22 pm
At the Jarl farm

Aanbo leaves Quest, Ogbar, and Durren to join Abel, while Xana talks to the chicken.

Abel looks gratefully at the dwarf as they enter the woods together. "Thank you, Mammoth Beneficence! It means a lot to me, having you with me."

On the way to Hochoch
Anyone who wishes to follow the suggestion put forth by Sara should do an Animal Handling check. The bear seems particularly intrigued by Devek's scent; it's in the midst of you, nuzzling at the cart.
Feb 29, 2016 8:25 pm
Ogbar shakes his head with disgust, "Talking to chickens now?" before leaving to catch up with Abel and Aanbo.
Feb 29, 2016 8:34 pm
Ogbar rushes to catch up with Aanbo and Abel, visible from the light of Abel's lantern flitting in between the trees in the darkness.
Feb 29, 2016 10:22 pm
Klak uses his darkvision to paw through the supplies to find something beary tasty. Klak is not wise in the ways of bears, however, so rather than just settling on something and tossing it, he determines what he'd like to throw to the bear and will quietly inquire with Sara if it's a good idea...
OOC:
Whew. A decent roll. Nonetheless, Klak is cautious.
Last edited February 29, 2016 10:23 pm

Rolls

Animal handling? From Klak? - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Mar 1, 2016 4:28 am
"I can find you some meat inside the house once we're done chatting. How does that sound?" Chickens. Always pecking like little scavengers. You gotta admire their tenacity.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Mar 2, 2016 7:59 am
Klak digs out a ration's worth of dried meat and fruit and the bear's muzzle immediately comes up and around, sniffing loudly. Thacogygax can smell the shaggy beast near him and hear its grunts. It shoves him slightly as it turns its bulk and gives a low "GRONNK!" as Klak tosses the food to the side. It shambles over to the food and begins snarfing it up with greedy gulps and smackings. The road is clear, the bear distracted.
Mar 2, 2016 8:09 am
The chicken clucks "Really? Great!" and flutters up onto Xana's wrist. "I was going to roost for the night, but ... meat! What do you want to know?"

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Moofsalot
Quest and Durren exchange looks in the deepening darkness, unsure what to make of their gnome friend talking to a chicken...but she seems to be getting a response, given how the chicken is now standing proudly on Xana's wrist...
Mar 2, 2016 8:14 am
Ogbar and Aanbo hurry after Abel as he steps out onto Cecily's Road and heads east. Ogbar is able to easily follow the fresh ox-drawn wagon tracks, though Aanbo has to catch Abel as he slips in a bit of the mud of the mules' blood. The trio continue east, hurrying after Jonbon. They figure he can't be far ahead, and with apparently only one ox pulling the wagon, they should catch up soon.
OOC:
Let me know what you plan to do when you spot the wagon - are you making any plans as you head down the Road?
Mar 2, 2016 12:24 pm
"Let's hurry on while it eats." I start the group in motion again, but move around the the back of the cart to keep an eye on the hungry bear.
Mar 2, 2016 1:50 pm
Nodding silently, Thacogygax follows Sara's lead.
Mar 2, 2016 6:54 pm
Aanbo considers the various scenarios that could play if and when they catch up to the wagon. Much of his actions will depend on the condition of Abel's family, if present, and their mental well-being, but one thing is certain: Aanbo will incapacitate and secure the minstrel before Jonbon can weasel his way out of harm, not only to prevent him from attacking or escaping, but also to protect him from the angry farmer.
Mar 2, 2016 6:59 pm
Ogbar plans to try to get as close as possible without being noticed and take the minstrel down without allowing him to speak. He doesn't want the trickster to use his charms on him.
Mar 3, 2016 12:02 am
Klak ensures that forward progress is being made -- acting as a cart drover. "Some dried meat and berries actually sounds a little tasty right now" he whispers to himself. Still, he's avoided a run-in with another wild denizen of the forest, and given how the last one turned out, he's happy to let this one pass him by.
Mar 3, 2016 6:07 am
I read people. Their minute expressions, the way the muscles in their faces flex when they're lying to take advantage of kinder folks. That helps me in my profession. Mimicking humans can be tricky. But chickens are fairly easy. I look very much like I'm doing a chicken dance, circling and flapping my arms while making chicken-like sounds. The chickens don't seem to notice.

"Did you see which way your family went? Did they leave in a wagon with someone new?"

Moofsalot sent a note to spaceseeker19
Last edited March 3, 2016 12:58 pm
Mar 3, 2016 7:33 am
On the way to Hochoch in the dark

Klak, Thacogygax, Sara, and Morgran continue to pull the cart west down the road towards Hochoch, leaving the bear behind.

A little later, Sara notices that the bear is ambling along behind the party at a distance.

At the Jarl farm in the dark
Xana is doing her best to talk with the chicken, which Quest and Durren can see clearly with their darkvision. The chicken responds: "Man went in. Came out, got Thing With Round Feet and Ox. Went in. Brought out Big Person that Feeds, put her in Thing with Round Feet. Went in. Brought out Small Person that Feeds Sometimes, put her in Thing with Round Feet. Went in. Brought out Smaller Person that Feeds Sometimes, put her in Thing with Round Feet. Went in. Brought out Small Terror that Chases, put it in Thing with Round Feet. All left. That way." The chicken flutters off of Xana's arm, south, toward the path back to Cecily's Road.

Catching up to the Wagon
After hurrying down the road for several minutes, likely going two or three times as fast as the wagon, Ogbar is the first to notice the light in the darkness ahead, but Aanbo sees it only a moment later. It silhouettes a shape in the road. It takes a moment, but they are able to make out the silhouette as that of the wagon they'd originally got in Hochoch, creeping slowly toward Orlane. Puffing and panting from the pace, Abel hasn't noticed the wagon yet, but he will any moment now...
Mar 3, 2016 1:03 pm
"Was there anyone else? Or just the man who brought things out?" If there's no new information, I turn towards Quest and Dureen and say "To the road! Hopefully they haven't gotten too far ahead." I then run into the house to search for scraps of meat to leave the chickens. Ideally nothing that looks too much like chicken.
Last edited March 3, 2016 2:06 pm
Mar 3, 2016 1:27 pm
Ogbar turns to Abel and whispers quietly, "I see the cart ahead... keep quiet and let us handle this. Go rushing in like a fool, you're likely to get your family hurt."

Then he turns back and begins silently closing the distance to the wagon.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Mar 3, 2016 6:30 pm
Aanbo was about to rush ahead for the wagon, but hearing the large barbarian, of all people, advise stealth actually stuns him into compliance.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Mar 3, 2016 7:06 pm
"Looks like we have a friend. We should continue to press on, I'll keep an eye on the bear." True to my word, I remain at the back of the cart, watching to ensure that the bear doesn't lumber any closer to us.
Mar 3, 2016 7:22 pm
Klak happily drives on, humming a mining tune to himself. "I hope I haven't picked up a pet. I don't even speak bear."
Mar 4, 2016 2:01 am
Xana runs inside the stone farmhouse. The fireplace has burned down to coals, whose red glow sheds enough light for the gnome to see clearly. There is no sign of violence; the family appears to have left in the middle of a meal: the stew in the pot has left a savory aroma. There are several bowls of stew on the table, that have cooled, as well as several cups of ale. The food hardly seems to have been touched. Goat, she thinks, and grabs one of the bowls to feed to the chicken.

Back outside, the chicken is ecstatic and begins pecking at the meat immediately. In between gobbling bits of goat, the chicken responds. "No one else!" (peck, peck) "Just the man!"

Quest and Durren have watched all of this mutely. But when Xana calls out in comprehensible language: "To the road! Hopefully they haven't got too far ahead!", the human nods and starts off across the farm at a run.
Mar 6, 2016 7:09 am
Confronting Jonbon

Aanbo and Ogbar alarm Abel, they melt so effortlessly and silently into the darkness. Leaving the blundering farmer behind wondering what is happening, the two make their way forward to the slowly creaking wagon. Soon they can hear Jonbon as he sings softly to himself.

"...She is cold
As cold as metal
She holds me tight
She holds me everywhere
Feel the power
She caresses my neck..."

Jonbon is sitting on the buckboard of the wagon, strumming on a stringed instrument softly by the light of a lantern mounted on a rod from the left front corner of the wagon's bed. The two have approached to within 15' of the wagon, fanned out to either side. They each see Jonbon in silhouette by the light of the swinging lantern.
Mar 7, 2016 3:51 pm
Quest takes off after the wagon as quickly as he can while trying to maintain a stealthy approach.

Rolls

Stealth to follow Jonbon - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 7, 2016 3:55 pm
Ogbar approaches silently, and when he gets close enough he will grab Jonbon off of the wagon and cover his mouth with his hand so he can't speak or cast spells.
OOC:
Oh yes, Ogbar is amazing, I realize this now. But only when sneaking!
Last edited March 7, 2016 3:55 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Athletics (Grapple) - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Mar 7, 2016 5:52 pm
Aanbo flanks to the other side of the wagon, seeking to take control of the reins and halt its progress. He chances a glance into the wagon to see if Abel's family is present and safe.

Rolls

Animal Handling - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Mar 7, 2016 9:13 pm
OOC:
Unless I hear otherwise from the players, I'm going to assume that Quest, Xana, and Durren are all chasing down Jonbon's wagon; they'll arrive shortly.
At the wagon, Ogbar and Aanbo have moved into position. Jonbon is only able to sing "Now she touches my--erk!" as Ogbar leaps up and grabs the man, knocking the instrument aside and clamping his hand over the minstrel's mouth. Aanbo puts a steadying hand on the ox's flank and the animal is calmed so that, when the reins are pulled tight in the struggle, the ox doesn't pull the wagon off of the road. Instead, Aanbo yanks the reins away from Jonbon and the ox comes to a halt. Ogbar and Jonbon are wrestling, and all that's visible in the wagon are shapes covered by an oiled tarp of the sort merchants use to keep the moisture out.
OOC:
CancerMan and Naatkinson, roll initiative, please.

Rolls

DM roll - (1d20+3)

Mar 7, 2016 9:15 pm
OOC:
Initiative

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Mar 8, 2016 12:08 am
Aanbo maintains his position, keeping his attention on Ogbar and Jonbon while an eye takes in the shapes in the wagon.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Mar 8, 2016 5:21 am
I run as fast as my little legs will carry me. Hopefully my small feet don't make too much noise on the ground. Wouldn't want to attract attention yet.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Mar 8, 2016 7:15 pm
Durren, Quest, and Xana are soon sprinting together down Cecily's Road.
OOC:
Those three: make Constitution checks to see how long you can keep up this pace. You are motivated to catch up with your friends and filled with adrenalin, so make the checks with Advantage.
Meanwhile, not much further east, at the wagon:
Round One

Rather than attempting to escape, Jonbon is pulling a dagger on Ogbar as they wrestle on the wagon. The wood creaks and groans as their weight shifts.
OOC:
It's Ogbar's turn first.

Initiative order:
Ogbar
Jonbon
Aanbo
Mar 8, 2016 7:20 pm
I huff and puff, running after my companions in earnest.

Rolls

Constitution - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (14) + 2 = 16

1d20+2 : (13) + 2 = 15

Mar 8, 2016 7:53 pm
Ogbar realizes that the minstrel isn't going to go down without a fight and pulls a handaxe from a belt loop, swinging at the man, rage contorting his features.
OOC:
Going into a RAGE

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d6+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Mar 10, 2016 8:46 am
Round one, continued

Unable to see his assailant, Jonbon nevertheless pulls a dagger, but Ogbar is faster. His hatchet slashes down into Jonbon's shoulder with a crunch. The man's grunt turns into a whimper, and his wild eyes stare at the only person he can see - Aanbo, standing next to the placid ox - and the minstrel weakly attempts to stab back at the barbarian holding him. Ogbar easily fends off the stabbing dagger with his axe.
OOC:
Aanbo's turn!

Rolls

Attack with disadvantage, damage with dagger on a hit - (2d20+2, 1d4+2)

2d20+2 : (616) + 2 = 24

1d4+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Mar 10, 2016 3:55 pm
Now that the ox has been placated, Aanbo hops onto the wagon to remove the tarp.
Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm
Ogbar continues attacking Jonbon.

Rolls

Attack on Jonbon - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Mar 11, 2016 3:14 am
Round One, continued

Aanbo, assured that the ox is content to go nowhere, leaves the mortal combatants struggling at the front of the wagon, the wildly swinging lantern casting vast swinging shadows across the road. In the back of the wagon, he steps up into the bed and removes the tarp. Underneath, laid out like a pile of scrolls back at the monastery, is the Jarl family: Elista, Abella, Emiless, Torren, and Wenderly, all of whom were active when the dwarf last saw them a few hours ago. Now, they're piled atop one another, all oriented in the same direction with their feet toward the tail gate, nestled in between two kegs in the bed.
OOC:
Roll a perception check for Aanbo.
Result: Even in the crazily-swinging light and struggling figures of the two combatants casting dancing shadows over the back of the wagon, Aanbo's darkvision is acute enough to see that Wenderly and Torren (stacked atop the others) are still breathing. They seem asleep...a deep, sound sleep, but nothing like the deathly sleep that Devek exhibited.

Round two

Ogbar hacks into the singer's back this time. Jonbon's struggling becomes more desperate, and he bites down hard on the barbarian's hand over his mouth as he tries to drop and roll out of his grasp.
OOC:
Opposed check to break the grapple; roll an Athletics check for Ogbar.

Rolls

Bard biting to escape (acrobatics + proficiency) - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Mar 11, 2016 3:17 am
Ogbar struggles to hold onto the squirming man.

Rolls

Athletics (advantage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

Mar 11, 2016 3:30 am
Aanbo frowns at his discovery, and kneels beside the family, feeling the neck and wrist of the closest person.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Mar 11, 2016 5:34 am
Round two, continued

Jonbon is unable to break Ogbar's hold, though he's grinding his teeth on the barbarian's fingers.

Aanbo is relieved to see at first glance that the smallest kids (Wenderly and Torren, stacked on top of the others) are alive, but deeply asleep. He steps up and shifts the bodies carefully to confirm that everyone there is still breathing, though strangely they do not wake when he shifts them.
OOC:
Edit: I've incorporated this into the text. Aanbo's roll was to determine whether he could discern their breathing at first glance (he did). I will assume that he will continue with his stated action to examine everyone else, unless I hear otherwise from you.

Rolls

Durren's constitution check - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Mar 11, 2016 6:10 am
OOC:
Correct, I will check on everyone just to ensure they're alive. I'll take my next action when it's my turn again.
Mar 11, 2016 10:17 pm
Growing annoyed at the man, Ogbar continues chopping away.

Rolls

Attack on Jonbon - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Mar 12, 2016 3:26 am
Running as fast as he can Quest to catch up.

But his armor seems to be slowing him down.
Last edited March 12, 2016 3:26 am

Rolls

Con check to catch up (with Advantage) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Mar 13, 2016 8:34 am
Managing her breathing a bit better, Xana passes Quest and Durren as they have to pause to catch their wind. So she is the first to see the humanoid shape in the road, holding a lantern.
Mar 13, 2016 8:38 am
Round three

Ogbar chops a new gash in Jonbon's back and Jonbon attempts another weak series of jabs at his attacker, but he remains unable to hit behind himself hard enough to do any serious damage. Ogbar has only nicks and shallow cuts from the wildly waving blade, and he can tell that the fight is going out of the minstrel.
OOC:
Aanbo's turn.

Rolls

Dagger stab (with DISADV), damage - (2d20+2, 1d4+2)

2d20+2 : (715) + 2 = 24

1d4+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Mar 13, 2016 5:17 pm
Aanbo frowns. "Very strange," he says aloud, then shakes Elista to see if she rouses. He is hesitant to slap the woman awake, but will do so as a last resort if shaking does not work.

"Just knock him out, lad!" Aanbo calls out over his shoulder. "He has a lot to answer to, and it's better if he's alive to do that."
Mar 13, 2016 7:10 pm
Ogbar, in his rage, barely registers what Aanbo says, but at the last moment adjusts his attack. The little man is right, it would be best to knock him unconscious to make him answer for his crimes.
OOC:
Obviously Ogbar is not very good at not killing people :(
Last edited March 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Rolls

Attack (non-kill) - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

1d6+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Mar 14, 2016 12:59 am
Aanbo shakes Elista to no effect. He reluctantly slaps her, and she groans, her eyes flutter, and then close again. This is not natural sleep; she's been drugged or bespelled somehow. He calls out encouragement to Ogbar.

Ogbar is struggling with Jonbon in the front of the wagon (attack submitted for turn four).
Xana is approaching a figure holding a lantern in the road.
Quest and Durren are gasping for breath, trying to catch up to the little gnome warlock. They can just see the light of the lantern ahead.

End of round three
Mar 14, 2016 4:21 pm
I attempt to sneak up behind the one holding the lantern. Hard to tell from here whether he is friend or foe.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 15, 2016 3:12 pm
Quest and Durren see the lantern whip around as, up ahead, Xana slips out of the darkness right in front of Abel, scaring him mightily. He's been approaching the light that she can now also see some distance down the road, but he's been doing it with a growing dread ever since his companions completely vanished. "W-where did you come f-from?" he stammers, and then, realizing his mistake, weakly adding an honorific, "...A-amazing Lady?"

Meanwhile, his former companions, Ogbar and Aanbo, are at the wagon in

Round four

Ogbar attempts to club Jonbon on the temple with his handaxe, but the blow glances off of his pate as the minstrel twists in his grasp like a snake. His eyes wild and furious, showing whites all around, Jonbon stabs at Ogbar. Clearly the attack is one of desperation rather than proficiency, as the dagger sinks into the barbarian's side, glancing off a rib with each shallow cut.
OOC:
With Ogbar's rage still in effect, that's only 1 point of damage.

Aanbo's turn.

Rolls

Stabbing dagger, damage on hit - (1d20+2, 1d4+2)

1d20+2 : (13) + 2 = 15

1d4+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Mar 15, 2016 4:26 pm
Aanbo grunts as he sees Elista's non-reaction. He stands and hops down from the wagon, and approaches the barbarian and minstrel. Like the two combatants, Aanbo's mind is a conflict between opposing trains of thought.

One side wins out over the other, and Aanbo lunges at Jonbon with two rapid strikes of his fists. He seeks to incapacitate, a compromise settled with the urge to kill.

Rolls

Unarmed vs Jonbon - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d4+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Bonus action, Unarmed vs Jonbon - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d4+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Mar 16, 2016 2:15 pm
"Don't worry about a thing. We've got this handled." I continue moving towards the light in the distance.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Mar 16, 2016 3:53 pm
Round four, completed

Aanbo walks forward to the pair wrestling on the front of the wagon. Ogbar's hand is still clenched on Jonbon's jaw, but Jonbon is wriggling mightily, trying desperately to deflect or avoid the chopping head of the axe while stabbing repeatedly at the barbarian. Aanbo dodges a few wild swings and rains punches on the minstrel to some effect.

Xana, running up to the wagon, can just see the shadows of figures dancing or fighting in the light of a swinging lamp through the canvas of the wagon's covering. With a dash she can be within 25 feet of the combatants this next round (roll initiative).

Quest and Durren, having recovered their breath somewhat, draw abreast of Abel. The farmer is beginning to trot forward in pursuit of the gnome (Xana), whom he can clearly see sprinting down the Road. If they wish, they can dash this round and be close enough to attempt ranged attacks on the shadowy figures in the wagon. Roll initiative. If attempted, ranged attacks will have disadvantage, as you'll be shooting at shadows through canvas.

Round five begins

Durren runs after Xana toward the wagon, too.

Rolls

Durren's initiative - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Mar 16, 2016 4:17 pm
I sprint, stopping once I get a good look at the shadows moving around as I contemplate what to do next.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Mar 18, 2016 7:56 am
Round five

Ogbar's turn.

Initiative order:
Ogbar (21)
Jonbon (21)
Xana (12)
Durren (8)
Aanbo (3)
Mar 18, 2016 11:41 am
Ogbar continues chopping at the man, seeking to knock him out (despite his better judgment).
Last edited March 18, 2016 11:41 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm
Ogbar clouts Jonbon in the head again with the side of his hatchet, cutting him only a little, and the man collapses, unconscious.
OOC:
Ogbar and/or Aanbo can roll an athletics check to attempt to catch his body, or just let him topple, as you wish.
Xana arrived quick enough to see this last part. Several moments later, Durren and Quest arrive, wheezing.
Mar 18, 2016 7:48 pm
OOC:
Doesn't Ogbar still have him grappled? So he's already held up, I think
Ogbar looks at the unconscious man in disgust before shoving him to the ground, "Here's your prisoner, little one," he says to Aanbo.
Mar 18, 2016 8:01 pm
"Check on the family," says Aanbo, letting the body fall as he points to the wagon. "They're all asleep, perhaps magically or drugged. See if knocking out this minstrel has broken that spell." The monk draws the rope from his pack and begins securing the unconscious man. He makes sure to tie the man's wrists behind the back and then searches through possessions to remove weapons, spell components or foci, and instruments.
Mar 18, 2016 8:03 pm
OOC:
Story-wise, I was thinking there was a difference between holding his head with one hand and supporting his full body weight, but you're right - mechanically, he was grappled still.
The barbarian releases Jonbon and shoves him. The man falls solidly from the wagon to the ground with a thump. Aanbo binds and searches the body. Jonbon has a handful of seals in a pouch (12 SP). He's also wearing a silver ring on his left hand. There's his dagger, which fell into the wagon when he was knocked out, and a second dagger in his boot. His lute, which fell when Ogbar first grabbed him, has been partially crushed at some point in the heated struggle.
Mar 18, 2016 8:08 pm
Aanbo will confiscate the the ring and both daggers, and he makes sure the damaged lute is out of reach. As a final gesture, he takes some cloth and forms a gag in the minstrel's mouth.
Mar 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Ogbar leaves Aanbo to inspect Jonbon as he goes to check the family.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Medicine - (1d20+0)

(20) = 20

Mar 18, 2016 8:15 pm
"Hello there! Glad to see that most of you are safe!"
Mar 18, 2016 9:27 pm
Ogbar flings the tarp the rest of the way off the Jarl family. He's convinced that the woman and her four children are dead at first, but then gives a start when the youngest, Wenderly, snores slightly. Thinking perhaps the corpses are reanimating through some necromantic ritual, Ogbar soon realizes his mistake. They've been drugged and are sleeping deeply, lugubriously stacked in their slumber like firewood. Checking each person's eyes, breath, and pulse, Ogbar is convinced that they've simply blacked out, much in the same way that even his despised-and-yet-respected chieftain Grognak has sometimes done when drinking too much of the fermented bear's blood-and-milk back home.

Durren and Quest catch their breath and join Xana at the wagon. "What willst he with these poor farmers?" Durren asks, looking at the gagged and bound minstrel with distaste.
Mar 18, 2016 9:30 pm
Ogbar climbs out from the wagon, "They're still alive, but he did something to them to make them sleep."
Mar 18, 2016 11:01 pm
"Yes, and I hope to wake them soon," says Aanbo. "Let's see if this minstrel has anything on his person or in his belongings that would indicate the manner in which he has incapacitated them."

As he searches Jonbon again, he casually asks, "Where is Abel?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Mar 18, 2016 11:42 pm
Durren points down the road, rather unhelpfully, seeing as how Aanbo is not looking in his direction. Abel comes walking up slowly, dreading what he's going to find. "What is it, A-admirable Glories? What has happened? Are they here? Are they well?"
Mar 18, 2016 11:44 pm
"Abel!" calls Aanbo. "They are safe, but asleep. Whether drugged or magical, we're trying to determine." The monk sighs, and runs his hand across his eyes. "It's late. Can we safely return to your farm, Abel? Or do we make camp here?"
Mar 22, 2016 12:26 am
Abel grins broadly at Aanbo's report. "Praise be to Merikka!" and then he looks concerned. "But...is it the same sickness that Devek has?"

He tugs at his forelock. "Please, Potent Enormities, forgive the imposition of one who has already asked so much. I fear I am not equipped to handle the rigors of the Dim Forest without stout stone walls around me. On my own, I would that we were home. But with the strapping arms of such a valorous crew, I could sleep outdoors, despite owlbears...if you were willing to extend your protection to include my family and me."
Mar 22, 2016 12:31 am
Aanbo thinks back to Devek's condition and tries to remember if the rest of the family are afflicted in the same way.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Mar 22, 2016 1:00 am
Aanbo is absolutely certain that this is nothing like what happened to Devek; Abel's family here in the wagon have been drugged with some sort of sleeping draught that is making them sleep deeply, rather like they've blacked out from excessive drink. He judges that they'll wake up in the morning with a terrible hangover, but probably no worse for wear otherwise.

Devek, the other hand, had all of his life signs slowed almost to a stop. Some wizards, the monk knows, have the ability to slow a creature down through magic, or even freeze them completely. Devek was almost completely still: his heartbeat and breath hard to detect, they were happening so slowly.

The party wonders what this means with regards to Jonbon's plans with the family. He was taking them, drugged, to somewhere, but they were drugged only to sleep for the night...
Mar 22, 2016 2:08 am
Aanbo tries to alleviate Abel's worries. "Different from what's afflicting Devek," he says, and adds, "they should be fine come morning."

The monk turns to the rest of the group. "I'm inclined to head back for the farm. It would be good to have solid walls between us and wherever this minstrel was headed. What say the rest of you?"
OOC:
How far are we from the farm? If we're really far, Aanbo would rethink his suggestion.
Mar 22, 2016 3:43 am
"What exactly happened with Devek? I didn't get a good look at the kid..." I should have paid more attention. Or asked the chickens some more pointed questions. Perhaps I'll ask them when we return to the farm.
Last edited March 22, 2016 3:43 am
Mar 22, 2016 4:03 am
"I'm not entirely sure," Aanbo admits, "but he ventured to some ruins within this forest." The monk pats his robes where he sequestered the brick. "Either Abel or Abella could lead us there; hopefully we'd find more clues that'd lead to the cause. Personally I think that's our best lead for helping the lad."
OOC:
I don't think we ever determined what happened to the brick Abella revealed. Is it safe to say that I pocketed it after using my stonecunning?
Last edited March 22, 2016 4:04 am
Mar 25, 2016 2:08 am
"Sure. Alright, that's as good a plan as any. After a good night's rest of course. Wouldn't want any of you stumbling around in the dark now!"

You do not have permission to post in this thread.