Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Jan 28, 2016 12:01 am
Aanbo walks to a window (assuming there is one) to see outside. He tries to discern the nature of the sound, if it came from an animal he might recognize.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Nature - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Jan 28, 2016 1:24 am
Quest stares back at Elista until the roar draws his attention. Once it is over he turns back to the woman. "You needn't fear. Our mission is to help if we can. We shall uncover this mystery."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Jan 28, 2016 2:06 am
I cough loudly and pound my chest a few times to clear my airways. "Excuse me, must have been something I ate. Now where were we? Ah, yes."

I hop down and take a few long, measured strides towards the busker. "Your performance, while an admirable attempt, was lacking in a certain flair. I hate to say this to such a nice gentleman, but to be honest it was not quite up to snuff. I, however, am a master of the performing arts. I've seen enough to know how to hone the craft to fit any audience. I'm a busy woman, but I see potential in you! For a modest sum, I can teach you what I know."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jan 28, 2016 5:44 am
First, Sara's warning of owlbears, then the ominous feeling of being observed, then the monstrous roar overhead. Thacogygax jumps out of his hiding place, ready for battle. He is surprised to see no apparent threat.
Jan 28, 2016 5:58 am
In the farmhouse

Aanbo goes to the window and opens the shutters. That was definitely a dragon!
Elista looks gratefully at Quest with shining eyes.
Morgran belches.

On the Road

Thacogygax leaps down, ready for battle.
Xana hops down and begins to hustle the minstrel.

Then a shrieking roar resounds from the forest in challenge to the dragon (everyone can hear this, and the people in the house can tell it's coming from the south), and the crashing of trees being smashed and shoved aside rises in volume as a huge body heads straight toward the two wagons. All the characters on the road can now see the tree foliage falling and shaking, approaching faster than a galloping horse.

Durren says "Ah. Methinks...methinks it may be time to take the man to safety..." Jonbon hops to the ground next to Xana...
Jan 28, 2016 1:51 pm
"Durren. Take the minstrel and keep him safe, we'll deal with this." I wave my hand, gesturing in a direction away from the coming owlbear, "The rest of you, lets make the owlbear wish it was a dragon." I ready an arrow and wait for the beast to appear.
OOC:
Note: My ambuscade gives me a free round just as combat starts (after initiative is rolled) with which I can attack or hide.
Last edited January 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Rolls

Initiative (I assume you'll want this) - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jan 28, 2016 1:58 pm
Ogbar steps forward so that he'll be the first in the fray, though he leaves room for Sara to fire her arrows.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 28, 2016 2:39 pm
Still unaware of Xana's ruse, Thaxogygax scans the skies frantically. "Heard a dragon I did! Where?" He grabs random objects from the carriage that he might be able to use as ammunition. Then, he unhitches the horses (these are not battle trained beasts and are likely to bolt when the dragon comes). Torn between climbing onto the driver's seat to gain a vantage point from which to lay his barrage on the owlbear, or crouch behind the carriage to gain cover from the dragon, Thacogygax ends up somewhere in the middle: perched awkwardly on one of its wheels.
Last edited January 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Jan 28, 2016 3:48 pm
At the Jarl farm

"I think it's best if we stay inside, for now," says Aanbo, quietly. He moves along the room, attempting to peer out from any windows or openings at all angles for sight of this apparent bestial battle.

Without looking at the cleric, Aanbo calmly refers to the pale lad on the bed, "Morgran, what can you sense of the boy?" Inwardly, the monk fears that a greater power may be needed to restore the youth's vitality.
Jan 28, 2016 4:26 pm
"Good ears, Thaxogygax! That way! Save us, friend!" I point him in the direction of the owl bear.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm
Klak moves around the wagon, axe and shield at the ready.

Rolls

Klak rolls init... ini... if he goes first. - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jan 29, 2016 4:40 am
Quest rushes down the stairs again and out the front door, stopping a few feet past the threshold. He looks back at the house, up at toward the second floor, then back in the direction of the sound and wagons. He is severely torn about the danger his allies face and the promises he has made to the mother of the sick boy. He paces for several seconds then walks determinedly to the edge of the yard. He puts the butt of his spear on the ground and waits. His vow to help the boy has won over his desire to help his new companions, who are more capable of defending themselves than these farmers are of helping their son.
Jan 29, 2016 6:16 am
At the Jarl Farm

Aanbo can't see anything from the windows beyond the fields cleared around the farmhouse, with Quest standing vigil at the fence.

Morgran has been inspecting Devek with the others, and to the question from Aanbo he replies: "No, the only insight I get from Kord is that this is unnatural - some sort of magical sleep. It does not appear to be a curse, but as the Litany says 'Magic is the curse that curseth not when wielded by the blest...' Wait, no, it's 'Magic is the blessing that curseth when wielded by the cursed...' Yes, that's it. One of those is definitely right out of the Litany of Kord."

Rolls

Rolling a lot of dice - (7d10+21)

Jan 29, 2016 6:27 am
On the road

Seconds have passed since the last screeching roar from the Dim, and the sounds of motion have ceased in the trees. Everyone is straining their eyes and ears to detect where the beast is.

Durren grabs Jonbon, drawing his sword with his other hand, and begins to lead the minstrel toward the path north into the woods on the other side of the road - where Aanbo, Morgran, and Quest went some time ago.

Barely have they taken a few steps when the massive shaggy ursine form leaps out of the trees and smashes onto the front of Jonbon's wagon, splintering it. The front axle snaps from the weight and Jonbon's mules bray in terror as the owlbear's beak and claws slash out...well, one of the mules brays in terror, the one whose back is broken by the claws. The other mule's head is severed by the beak and the PCs at the front of the wagon are sprayed with blood as the mule collapses. Sara makes her abuscade attack.

Rolls

Owlbear initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Owlbear beak attack, damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d10+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Owlbear claw attack, damage - (1d20+7, 2d8+5)

1d20+7 : (7) + 7 = 14

2d8+5 : (81) + 5 = 14

Jan 29, 2016 6:32 am
At the Jarl Farm

"We should get him to town, and the temple," suggests Aanbo. "Let us take him to the wagon and turn the party around. The bandits can wait."
Jan 29, 2016 6:36 am
Round one

Sara will perform her ambuscade attack first, then we will begin rounds in initiative order, thus:

* Sara (17)
* Owlbear (16)
* Thacogygax (14)
* Klak (8)
* Ogbar & Xana (simultaneous on 4)
* Durren (3)

As always, feel free to post your actions/rolls when you can; you don't have to wait to post in order, though they will be resolved in initiative order.

Rolls

Durren initiative - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Jan 29, 2016 8:17 am
Thacogygax sends one of his makeshift missiles flying - a five pound cask of lamp oil.

Rolls

Bludgeoning damage - (3d8)

(275) = 14

Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm
As soon as the beast appears I loose an arrow at it, then another before stepping back behind the edge of the woods to allow my companions who are brave enough to go toe to claw with the beast to engage.
OOC:
Ambuscade: Attack, followed by Attack + Move back a bit

Rolls

Bow Attack - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Bow Damage - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Bow Attack 2 - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Bow Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jan 29, 2016 2:21 pm
Ogbar growls as he feels his skin begin to heat and his vision turns red. He feels the bloodlust washing over his and launches forward like an arrow, swinging his greataxe at the clawed beast.
OOC:
If this thing doesn't kill me first this is going to be one hell of a hit, I think
Last edited January 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Rolls

Greataxe attack on Owlbear - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

1d12+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

Jan 29, 2016 4:13 pm
Damn. And I was just about to earn me some coin! I rush towards the trees in case I need to make a quick escape, keeping the owlbear in my sights. Then I focus my mental energy around its form, marking it, before I send a blast of energy towards it.

OOC: bonus action-hex. Disadvantage on INT ability checks
Last edited January 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Rolls

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Damage - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Hex damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.