Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Jan 7, 2016 4:31 pm
Ogbar and Sara both see that the disheveled pile is actually a person just as it hears the wagon and gives a little hopeful cry. "Oh! Halloo there!" You now see that it is a man, probably human, in a homespun cloak and well-worn, simple woolen clothing, who was slumped at the edge of the road. "Please - I need your help! Is one of you a healer?"

This person is about 40 yards ahead of you.
Jan 7, 2016 4:35 pm
"Are you hurt? What do you need?" I close half the distance to the man in a few quick strides.
Jan 7, 2016 5:12 pm
OOC: I guess with that roll it's safe to say Thacogygax hears the conversation between Sara and the guy lying in the dirt?

Thacogygax shifts uneasily in his hiding place. He sends a telepathic message to Sara. "Careful. A trap this may be!" To Xana beside him he whispers, "Hear that, do you?"
Last edited January 7, 2016 5:38 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Jan 7, 2016 8:43 pm
Klak gives the pile of rags a stern stare down from the seat of the wagon.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(13) - 1 = 12

Jan 7, 2016 10:27 pm
(Note: you can all hear the conversation - or the man's side, at least - as he is acting very distressed and is commensurately loud.)

The man is somewhat incoherent, but, with some stops and starts and amidst the sobs of apparent relief, you hear this: "No, not me - it's my son, Devek! He's deathly sick! I've been praying that someone would come along who could help! Can you help, please? I don't know what to do - no one has been coming by on the road, and it's more than a day's travel to the nearest temple!"
Jan 7, 2016 10:30 pm
Ogbar glares at the man suspiciously. It seems like a good set up for a trap, and of course dirty bandits would be well-versed in acting pathetic.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jan 7, 2016 10:50 pm
"Morgran, my friend," says Aanbo. "I think we are needed to help a sick child." He rummages through his pack for his herbalism kit and makes ready to leave the wagon.
Jan 8, 2016 2:29 pm
"My good sir, we are simply not equipped to provide the sort of aid your child needs. In addition, we are already two days behind schedule on delivering these goods and my uncle the Duke is not a patient man! However, your stress and dire needs have not gone unnoticed. We must always help those who are less fortunate." I nod sagely to my companions. "We will send word for a healer as soon as we reach the next town."
Jan 8, 2016 6:19 pm
Morgran pulls his finger out his nose, flicking off whatever he found as discreetly as possible.

"Hold! We are the strong, they are weak. This man has a fighting spirit as well. Tell me, friend, how far is the journey to your indisposed son? And do you have means of payment for the blessing of Kord?"
Jan 9, 2016 8:23 pm
"Morgran, I will appease the avarice of Kord myself if the child is so ill. Lead on friend." Quest is prepared to follow this man, but is weary of ambush.
Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm
Ogbar glares at the man with suspicion.

The rustic is almost comically crestfallen as Xana responds. "Illustrious Lady, I do not wish to trouble you! Would it be p-possible for any of your retainers to look at my boy? We fear...what if he never w-wakes?" He's reached a point where he's run out of tears, and instead he just goes bleak for a moment, trailing off into silence. He does not notice Morgran until he speaks, then the farmer brightens somewhat. "Our farm is not far - just half a mile from here, Excellency!" Clearly the man doesn't know how to address clerics of Kord, or any of you, but he seems to be trying to be complimentary with his hyperbolic titles. "We don't have much, but what we have we will give if it will help in curing Devek!" To Quest he says "This way, Magnificent!" He points out what looks to be little more than a game trail that leads off of Cecily's Road. He bows deeply to Xana, almost genuflecting. "Luminescent Lady, may the gods bless you and the Duke for your willingness to spare your servants to help this miserable farmer recover his son. Devek is my firstborn, and we need him."
Jan 11, 2016 4:28 pm
Aanbo asks quietly, "Are we splitting the group? Some remain here while others attend to the boy?" Clearly the monk is of the mind that someone needs medical attention and will do whatever he can, as he prepares to follow Morgran.
Jan 11, 2016 6:04 pm
"As we walk, I would ask you a question or two. Our party has heard rumors of bandits and other dangers on this road. What have you seen for yourself? Or at least heard if you have not seen first hand these dangers?"

Quest attempts to read the man's reactions for falsehood or deceit (not that he is any good at it really)
Last edited January 11, 2016 10:06 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Jan 11, 2016 9:23 pm
None of you sense artifice in the man, though Quest senses anxiety about his son and hope that help may be at hand. The man's mouth runs fast from relief. "The Great Lord is correct when he speaks of bandits. There are such people in the woods who waylay merchants; they don't bother with poor folk like us Jarls! We just keep our heads down and try to survive on our homestead. My son, Devek, though...he's taken to exploring the woods. I told him! I said 'Devek, the Dim is dangerous; you'd better stay out of it. But he wouldn't stay out, and look what happened!" He turns bleak eyes to you again. "He's young; I did some dumb things when I was a boy, Pelor knows. Almost lost my hand once, chopping wood." He shows a livid scar on his wrist, standing out starkly against his tanned, leathery skin. "But a priest of Pelor came along and healed me, he did. I'm hoping that Mighty Ones such as yourselves can do the same. Nothing we can do will wake him up!"
Jan 11, 2016 10:06 pm
"If there is anything within our power, we shall try it. The plight of this man is clearly getting to Quest.
Jan 11, 2016 10:59 pm
Aanbo will walk with Quest. "They say that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing right. By that extension, something right should be worth doing, eh?"
Jan 12, 2016 12:03 am
"Lead the way, just lead the way and provide us with at least some adventure worthy of a warrior of Kord, and failing that, a mead and meal hearty enough! But don't forget that reward, for yours are the blessings of Kord!"

Morgran trails off like he was reading a tedious passage of saying, and jumps off the cart, rearing to go.
Jan 12, 2016 4:32 am
I sigh. "We are not abandoning the wagon at the first sign of an ill boy. Surely saving him is a task that only requires one, perhaps two of us at most?" I tap my foot impatiently while giving the old man a long, judging look. Figures we'd have to get distracted by this one, and it's barely been two days! I then look around us as if expecting to be pounced upon or laughed at any moment now.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jan 12, 2016 6:12 am
Thacogygax remains still in his hiding place. He hopes he isn't the only one staying with the wagon.
Jan 12, 2016 6:50 am
"Indeed, not all of us need attend," says Aanbo. "Morgran, Quest, and myself can see to the lad."

He looks at Xana with some thought, and adds with a subservient bow for the benefit of any unknown eyes and ears, "Er, by your leave, your Grace, if that may be permitted."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.