Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Dec 28, 2015 4:38 pm
Aanbo is ready to go whenever the party is. He does not think to disguise himself, content to remain in his robes

He does, however, attempt to find rations and camping equipment for anyone that doesn't have any. Who knows how long they will be on the road?
Dec 28, 2015 5:03 pm
While the others are figuring out the wagon Ogbar will find a long cloak that he can wear to hide his height a little bit. He hates deception but he is willing to deal with it for now on the promise of fine battle later.
Dec 28, 2015 7:38 pm
Durren searches for the trainers, if he finds them he gets pricing and time commitment info from them, then heads back to find his friends. When he does find them, he begins thinking out loud about how to disguise themselves. "What if instead of hiding Thycogygax we use him as bait? If we get a rope of some sort or some other means of securing him, we could act as merchants who have no morals and nabbed a slave along the way. Methinks a dragonborn to sell would indeed be something Black would fall for. Also, I volunteer to pretend to be the bodyguard of the party - though if one of our magic-using friends could shield me that would be desirable, for I will be the prime target of the bandit's attack if and when they do."

OOC: Here's my action of the month! :P I'm searching in particular for a ranger trainer - I am also interested in monk and druid, but I know where they are already, correct? I want cost and time commitment info from them mostly. Thanks again!
Dec 28, 2015 7:42 pm
Aanbo coughs, politely. "I... Well, I don't wish to speak for my friend, but I am hesitant to cast him in that role. For... personal reasons." The monk looks over with an expression of concern towards Thacogygax, gauging his reaction to the idea.
Dec 28, 2015 10:18 pm
Klak has his axes, he's good to go.
Dec 28, 2015 11:07 pm
"This plan is getting more and more plan-like! I like it!"

OOC: does one 'train' to be a better warlock?
Dec 28, 2015 11:42 pm
Thacogygax stares piercingly at Durren. "A fine plan, yours is...but NEVER AGAIN will I be bound. Genuine slavery or pretense, it matters not. Suffer it, I shall not!"

OOC: It really is a fine plan. But this former-slave would never agree to it.
Last edited December 28, 2015 11:46 pm
Dec 28, 2015 11:55 pm
"Huh, when you say it that way..." I ponder for half a moment. "Hey now, would kidnapping royalty for ransom be big enough bait for him?" I grin mischievously while casually flashing my signet ring at my poor peasantfolk companions.

OOC: She will agree to almost ANY plan.
Last edited December 28, 2015 11:56 pm
Dec 29, 2015 10:01 pm
Aanbo nods to Thacogygax and rests a comforting hand on the dragonborn's arm.

"I would imagine that an overabundance of cargo would provide ample reason to attack, and the presence of a guard or two might indicate higher value," says Aanbo, continuing discussion of the plan. He looks at Xana approvingly. "Certainly the reflection of jewelry would attract attention, too."
Dec 30, 2015 2:39 am
"Jewelry! This is not a mere trinket! Anyone who lays their eyes upon it is sure to recognize this signet ring as that belonging to the Duke of Ryshia. I am, of course, his favorite niece." With this, I give him a wink.

OOC: I give a great show, but ultimately I'm not trying to make Aanbo believe me. I just want him to believe that I can sell it.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Performance? - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Dec 30, 2015 6:10 am
Players can make insight checks if they want their characters to potentially be credulous about Xana's noble background (Insight opposing her performance check of 13). Otherwise, you're in on the joke and appreciate how finely she performs the role.

At this point I'm going to abstract the set-up of the charade to a group check. Each character should contribute setting up the wagon as a juicy merchant/carriage for nobility appealing to banditry, themselves as guards, etc. by making a roll, either Deception or Performance, along with a description of what they're doing to disguise themselves and/or the wagon. It's at least Easy difficulty to fool a bandit leader who's just had a bunch of heroes thwart him in Hochoch, maybe Medium (you won't know how well it works until it's put to the test, after all).
Dec 30, 2015 1:44 pm
Ogbar covers himself with the cloak and attempts to walk in somewhat of a crouch to make himself appear smaller as not many people will willingly attack a 6-and-a-half foot, 250 lb barbarian. "I'll act as a guard, and once they've come upon us I will be the first into battle," his eyes light up as he says this. Despite his still serious injuries he is excited for battle and glory.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Dec 30, 2015 4:36 pm
I throw a cloak over my shoulders and walk on the other side of the wagon, bow in hand "They've been ransacking wagons on the route for a while, we should be alert - as if we're expecting to be attacked. But we should be outnumbered. If the wagon's weighed down it will look well loaded, a target worth the effort of a fight for. A few hiding in the back of the wagon should do the trick. Xana, while you make a pretty noble maybe our needs would be better suited if you were a pretty merchant. Flash some wealth, and dress yourself a step above what you'd expect from a traveler in this region."

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Dec 30, 2015 5:16 pm
Aanbo offers to sit in the covered wagon amongst the fake cargo. Perhaps from a distance, no one that can see past the covering would notice his plain robes and short height.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm
I give Sara a look of mock annoyance (with perhaps a smidge of offense at her obvious advice). "It's as if we're meeting for the first time today..." I change into my set of fine clothes and use 'minor illusion' to make the wagon and myself appear to be covered in elaborate gold filigree bearing the mark of my nonexistent Duke. I also produce a stack of ledgers and other official-looking documents regarding trade routes and other such things for me to carry. My pockets appear to be loaded more than usual as I shift myself into the persona of Xenia, daughter of high standing and bearing the brunt of extremely high expectations. Will she ever find a husband who will marry her for love, and not her vast riches? Oh, if only she met the right one!

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Dec 30, 2015 5:33 pm
Thacogygax sits in the back of the wagon, covers himself with a burlap, and does his best impression of a crate of precious cargo.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Dec 31, 2015 3:29 am
Klak considers. "I could ride up front and look like a guard." He takes his shield and axe and readies them with what he feels like is a fearful look of concentration. But, as the shield covers most of his face, mostly it's just some creased eyebrows under a helm.
Last edited December 31, 2015 3:29 am

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Dec 31, 2015 7:59 am
Durren gathers together some supplies for a disguise, making himself out to be a bodyguard for the "Miss Xenia." Soon he's added some scars to his face, a bit of stubble, changed the color of his hair, added a paunch, walks with a slight limp, and altogether looks like a grizzled veteran of many years, who has gone a little bit to seed.

Morgran gives up the idea of a disguise after considering for a moment (and realizing that he's no good at subterfuge). He hops into the back and stays quiet like cargo, only taking brief sips from a flask on occasion.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

Dec 31, 2015 8:21 am
Ready at last to leave on Cecily's Road, "Miss Xenia" clicks at the oxen.

They do nothing.

She sighs, and shifts around to ask someone for some rope. After much fumbling to retrieve hidden packs, someone gives her a 10' length. She wraps a bit around her fist, and then uses the rest as a whip and snaps it dramatically in the air.

The oxen continue to chew their cud.

Exasperated, Xana flails with the rope and slaps the hindquarters of the two animals. Placidly, they lurch into motion and amble down the road. Soon enough, the party's lack of proficiency with land vehicles makes itself felt again, when the road veers and the oxen don't.

In the end, after a long and comic interlude of hauling the disguised wagon out of the weeds, the groups hits upon a more effective strategy. Sara, walking alongside, pushes firmly on the shoulder of one ox or the other when the road turns. An occasional slap of the rope from Xana or a slap with a "beater" arrow from Sara is enough the keep the oxen moving.

In this way, the wagon wends its way out of Hochoch proper, through the East Gate, and through the outer borough to the bridge over the Realstream and east on Cecily's Road. The pace seems slow at first, eager as everyone is to find and punish Black. But the oxen are stolid walkers, and soon enough the city of Hochoch and the Realstream have disappeared in the distance behind you, and the open fields give way to copses of trees. Those copses grow larger and closer together, until by mid-afternoon, you are definitely within the Dim Wood. There are occasional crofters at first, but as the day continues toward sunset and you continue east, deeper into the forest, there is no one else on the road.

Will you continue through the evening?

Rolls

Encounter table - (1d82)

(16) = 16

Dec 31, 2015 4:43 pm
Klak ponders as the day moves towards sunset. "I do not believe merchants would press on through the night - wouldn't they fortify?" Thus, Klak suggests setting down for the night with a capable watch.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.