Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Feb 24, 2016 5:03 pm
Aanbo stares at the wagon tracks, assessing if they are newer than the party's previous ruse (did we abandon the wagon?) and the minstrel's shattered transport.
OOC:
Just to confirm, Cecily's Road to the east is where we were going before we stopped? That is, we came from the west?
Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm
The wagon tracks cross over the previous wagon and cart tracks, so Aanbo is certain they are newer. Since the party left, someone has driven a cart to the game trail from Orlane, or driven a cart from the game trail to Orlane.

Looking more closely, the dwarf recognizes that there are the marks of an ox's hooves in between the wheel tracks; their direction indicates that the wagon was leaving the game trail, heading east.
CancerMan says:
OOC:
Just to confirm, Cecily's Road to the east is where we were going before we stopped? That is, we came from the west?
Correct; west is Hochoch, east is Orlane.
Feb 24, 2016 5:20 pm
A tch escapes Aanbo's lips as he turns up the game trail, and takes off running for the Jarl farm.
Feb 24, 2016 5:31 pm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to CancerMan
A few minutes later, Xana, Ogbar, Quest, and Durren arrive with Abel at the site of the owlbear attack. Any of them can roll perception checks if they wish.

Rolls

Durren's perception - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Feb 24, 2016 5:34 pm
Ogbar examines the area.
OOC:
Wow!
Last edited February 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Feb 24, 2016 5:37 pm
Aanbo tries to quell the sinking feeling in his stomach as he arrives at the farm.
CancerMan sent a note to spaceseeker19
Feb 24, 2016 6:23 pm
"Hmm, where'd they go off to..."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Feb 24, 2016 8:38 pm
Durren calls for a pause as Abel makes his way anxiously toward the game trail leading off of Cecily's Road to his home. "Prithee, wait, gentlefolk. I hath espied fresh wagon tracks..." The antiquated human points out the fresh marks.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Naatkinson
Feb 24, 2016 8:43 pm
"These wagon tracks come FROM the farm, heading east. A wagon led by one ox... " he says, pointing to the wagon tracks, then points at Aanbo's tracks, "and these here belong to the little one. Looks like he started running when he got here to check on the farm."

This task brings a sense of peace to Ogbar who is reminded of his years following the caribou herds in the frozen northland.
Last edited February 24, 2016 8:44 pm
Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm
CancerMan sent a note to spaceseeker19

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Feb 24, 2016 10:29 pm
Durren nods, seeing what Ogbar described, now that the barbarian has pointed it out to him. He frowns, then stands and inspects the bushes. "Forsooth, mine eyes doth espy that the wain that we didst purchase from the wright, Rufus, is no longer where we left it." Ogbar, bringing his tracking skills to bear, sees even further: someone brought an ox, hitched it to your wagon, and then drove it north into the trees toward the farm. Some time later, the same cart returned to Cecily's Road and headed east.

Abel is impatient. "Gracious Lords and Lady of all Plenipotence, I understand your concern about your wagon, but as for me, I must continue to see my family safe!" With that, he continues into the trees along the northern path toward his farm.

Feb 24, 2016 11:04 pm
After giving the house a once-over, Aanbo exits via the door and makes for the trail. Assuming he meets Abel on the way, Aanbo relates his discovery (including the spice smell, is it flavorful?). "I can only assume your family is with the wagon that headed east," he concludes.
Feb 24, 2016 11:38 pm
As the twilight deepens into darkness and the first stars are becoming visible, Aanbo meets Abel as the man is hurrying out of the woods toward his house. "What? Gone??" Abel slumps to the ground, his legs giving out in his shock. "Why? Why would they go?"
Feb 24, 2016 11:43 pm
"I only know that the house is empty," admits Aanbo. "Do you have hiding places that they would escape to? Are there destinations nearby that they would make for? Otherwise I am inclined to think they might have fallen victim to the same enchantment you were under. I really do not want to assume, but I am considering pursuit of the wagon despite the nightfall."
Feb 24, 2016 11:44 pm
Meanwhile, some hours to the west, night is falling on the group trundling the hand cart bearing Devek back to Hochoch. Thacogygax is really starting to feel blind in the darkness under the trees, while Sara and Klak can still see. But it is Morgran that has to reassure them that the boy is still alive. To all appearances, Devek's cold, inert body is a corpse, and they keep having to shake off morbid thoughts that they're taking the body to a funeral.

Will this group continue marching through the night, or find a place to camp?

Rolls

Mystery DM roll, mystery DM roll #2 - (1d20, 1d8)

1d20 : (14) = 14

1d8 : (4) = 4

Feb 24, 2016 11:48 pm
Ogbar shows up moments later, having followed Abel here, he listens to Aanbo's report and growls, "He's a coward, using magic tricks to deceive people... We must find and kill him. Cowards deserve no mercy from us."
Feb 24, 2016 11:51 pm
CancerMan says:
"I only know that the house is empty," admits Aanbo. "Do you have hiding places that they would escape to? Are there destinations nearby that they would make for? Otherwise I am inclined to think they might have fallen victim to the same enchantment you were under. I really do not want to assume, but I am considering pursuit of the wagon despite the nightfall."
Abel rouses himself as Ogbar, Quest, Xana, and Durren come out into the farm's clearing, following the older wagon tracks. Abel calls out to his family members as he spends the next several minutes rushing around inside the farmhouse and barns to confirm what Aanbo has told him. "Elista! Wenderly! Abella! Emiless! Torren!"

Eventually, he winds down, dejected, and nods in agreement with Ogbar's pronouncement. "Yes...yes, I must go after them. On foot I will be faster than a wagon, and I may yet catch them before they reach Orlane..." He goes to retrieve his spear.

Rolls

Abel's perception - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Feb 25, 2016 4:41 am
I lick my entire hand, then hold it up into the air. "This was a trick an old man once taught me. Sometimes the winds can guide us..." I close my eyes and try to "sense" which way the wagon and/or the ox driving the wagon has gone.

At Ogbar, I open one eye and say "A coward, is he? Using his magic to his advantage? Well, I suppose not everyone can have the mental fortitude and wit of one such as Ogbar. Cowards, all of them." Then I close my eyes again and try to feeeeeel where the family went.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Feb 25, 2016 7:20 am
Xana is not sure where the family went, because the only fresh prints are from the ox and an adult male - presumably Jonbon. He made several trips back and forth, perhaps loading stuff from the house into the wagon, but who knows what that would be. If she wishes to, Xana is easily able to track the path that the wagon took, first south along the path through the woods, then turning east down Cecily's Road toward Orlane.

Aanbo can elaborate, but anyone who goes inside will see that it looks like everyone in the Jarl family just vanished in the middle of a meal; there's no sign of struggle or violence. Everyone is just...gone.
Feb 25, 2016 12:59 pm
"It is true, the cart must be in Orlane." While everyone stands around, I try to find a small woodland creature in the vicinity to have a little chat. Perhaps a bird or a squirrel will have more information?
Last edited February 25, 2016 1:25 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.