Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Mar 2, 2016 12:24 pm
"Let's hurry on while it eats." I start the group in motion again, but move around the the back of the cart to keep an eye on the hungry bear.
Mar 2, 2016 1:50 pm
Nodding silently, Thacogygax follows Sara's lead.
Mar 2, 2016 6:54 pm
Aanbo considers the various scenarios that could play if and when they catch up to the wagon. Much of his actions will depend on the condition of Abel's family, if present, and their mental well-being, but one thing is certain: Aanbo will incapacitate and secure the minstrel before Jonbon can weasel his way out of harm, not only to prevent him from attacking or escaping, but also to protect him from the angry farmer.
Mar 2, 2016 6:59 pm
Ogbar plans to try to get as close as possible without being noticed and take the minstrel down without allowing him to speak. He doesn't want the trickster to use his charms on him.
Mar 3, 2016 12:02 am
Klak ensures that forward progress is being made -- acting as a cart drover. "Some dried meat and berries actually sounds a little tasty right now" he whispers to himself. Still, he's avoided a run-in with another wild denizen of the forest, and given how the last one turned out, he's happy to let this one pass him by.
Mar 3, 2016 6:07 am
I read people. Their minute expressions, the way the muscles in their faces flex when they're lying to take advantage of kinder folks. That helps me in my profession. Mimicking humans can be tricky. But chickens are fairly easy. I look very much like I'm doing a chicken dance, circling and flapping my arms while making chicken-like sounds. The chickens don't seem to notice.

"Did you see which way your family went? Did they leave in a wagon with someone new?"

Moofsalot sent a note to spaceseeker19
Last edited March 3, 2016 12:58 pm
Mar 3, 2016 7:33 am
On the way to Hochoch in the dark

Klak, Thacogygax, Sara, and Morgran continue to pull the cart west down the road towards Hochoch, leaving the bear behind.

A little later, Sara notices that the bear is ambling along behind the party at a distance.

At the Jarl farm in the dark
Xana is doing her best to talk with the chicken, which Quest and Durren can see clearly with their darkvision. The chicken responds: "Man went in. Came out, got Thing With Round Feet and Ox. Went in. Brought out Big Person that Feeds, put her in Thing with Round Feet. Went in. Brought out Small Person that Feeds Sometimes, put her in Thing with Round Feet. Went in. Brought out Smaller Person that Feeds Sometimes, put her in Thing with Round Feet. Went in. Brought out Small Terror that Chases, put it in Thing with Round Feet. All left. That way." The chicken flutters off of Xana's arm, south, toward the path back to Cecily's Road.

Catching up to the Wagon
After hurrying down the road for several minutes, likely going two or three times as fast as the wagon, Ogbar is the first to notice the light in the darkness ahead, but Aanbo sees it only a moment later. It silhouettes a shape in the road. It takes a moment, but they are able to make out the silhouette as that of the wagon they'd originally got in Hochoch, creeping slowly toward Orlane. Puffing and panting from the pace, Abel hasn't noticed the wagon yet, but he will any moment now...
Mar 3, 2016 1:03 pm
"Was there anyone else? Or just the man who brought things out?" If there's no new information, I turn towards Quest and Dureen and say "To the road! Hopefully they haven't gotten too far ahead." I then run into the house to search for scraps of meat to leave the chickens. Ideally nothing that looks too much like chicken.
Last edited March 3, 2016 2:06 pm
Mar 3, 2016 1:27 pm
Ogbar turns to Abel and whispers quietly, "I see the cart ahead... keep quiet and let us handle this. Go rushing in like a fool, you're likely to get your family hurt."

Then he turns back and begins silently closing the distance to the wagon.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Mar 3, 2016 6:30 pm
Aanbo was about to rush ahead for the wagon, but hearing the large barbarian, of all people, advise stealth actually stuns him into compliance.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Mar 3, 2016 7:06 pm
"Looks like we have a friend. We should continue to press on, I'll keep an eye on the bear." True to my word, I remain at the back of the cart, watching to ensure that the bear doesn't lumber any closer to us.
Mar 3, 2016 7:22 pm
Klak happily drives on, humming a mining tune to himself. "I hope I haven't picked up a pet. I don't even speak bear."
Mar 4, 2016 2:01 am
Xana runs inside the stone farmhouse. The fireplace has burned down to coals, whose red glow sheds enough light for the gnome to see clearly. There is no sign of violence; the family appears to have left in the middle of a meal: the stew in the pot has left a savory aroma. There are several bowls of stew on the table, that have cooled, as well as several cups of ale. The food hardly seems to have been touched. Goat, she thinks, and grabs one of the bowls to feed to the chicken.

Back outside, the chicken is ecstatic and begins pecking at the meat immediately. In between gobbling bits of goat, the chicken responds. "No one else!" (peck, peck) "Just the man!"

Quest and Durren have watched all of this mutely. But when Xana calls out in comprehensible language: "To the road! Hopefully they haven't got too far ahead!", the human nods and starts off across the farm at a run.
Mar 6, 2016 7:09 am
Confronting Jonbon

Aanbo and Ogbar alarm Abel, they melt so effortlessly and silently into the darkness. Leaving the blundering farmer behind wondering what is happening, the two make their way forward to the slowly creaking wagon. Soon they can hear Jonbon as he sings softly to himself.

"...She is cold
As cold as metal
She holds me tight
She holds me everywhere
Feel the power
She caresses my neck..."

Jonbon is sitting on the buckboard of the wagon, strumming on a stringed instrument softly by the light of a lantern mounted on a rod from the left front corner of the wagon's bed. The two have approached to within 15' of the wagon, fanned out to either side. They each see Jonbon in silhouette by the light of the swinging lantern.
Mar 7, 2016 3:51 pm
Quest takes off after the wagon as quickly as he can while trying to maintain a stealthy approach.

Rolls

Stealth to follow Jonbon - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 7, 2016 3:55 pm
Ogbar approaches silently, and when he gets close enough he will grab Jonbon off of the wagon and cover his mouth with his hand so he can't speak or cast spells.
OOC:
Oh yes, Ogbar is amazing, I realize this now. But only when sneaking!
Last edited March 7, 2016 3:55 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Athletics (Grapple) - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Mar 7, 2016 5:52 pm
Aanbo flanks to the other side of the wagon, seeking to take control of the reins and halt its progress. He chances a glance into the wagon to see if Abel's family is present and safe.

Rolls

Animal Handling - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Mar 7, 2016 9:13 pm
OOC:
Unless I hear otherwise from the players, I'm going to assume that Quest, Xana, and Durren are all chasing down Jonbon's wagon; they'll arrive shortly.
At the wagon, Ogbar and Aanbo have moved into position. Jonbon is only able to sing "Now she touches my--erk!" as Ogbar leaps up and grabs the man, knocking the instrument aside and clamping his hand over the minstrel's mouth. Aanbo puts a steadying hand on the ox's flank and the animal is calmed so that, when the reins are pulled tight in the struggle, the ox doesn't pull the wagon off of the road. Instead, Aanbo yanks the reins away from Jonbon and the ox comes to a halt. Ogbar and Jonbon are wrestling, and all that's visible in the wagon are shapes covered by an oiled tarp of the sort merchants use to keep the moisture out.
OOC:
CancerMan and Naatkinson, roll initiative, please.

Rolls

DM roll - (1d20+3)

Mar 7, 2016 9:15 pm
OOC:
Initiative

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Mar 8, 2016 12:08 am
Aanbo maintains his position, keeping his attention on Ogbar and Jonbon while an eye takes in the shapes in the wagon.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.