Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Feb 6, 2016 5:56 pm
Turning to the farmer, "Indeed it is, do not fear him. He is from a strange land unknown to us, but he is a true and dedicated companion." Quest pauses to think for just a moment before continuing. "I think we need to get the injured, including your boy, back to the village. Once they are safe from the wild wood, we will return and seek this temple. I believe the answer we seek lies there. Do you have a cart, that we may genteelly, and safely, carry your son back to our wagon?"
Feb 6, 2016 6:20 pm
"We will need oxen, or some other beasts of burden. Ours fled when the owlbear appeared, and the minstrel's mules, regrettably, were killed. Klak is also injured. Stable, but unconscious. Xana and Durren are with him and the carts. We should get back to them, I don't feel comfortable leaving them so exposed."
Feb 6, 2016 10:59 pm
Aanbo prepares to move the lad. "Lead the way," says the dwarf.
Feb 7, 2016 6:35 am
"You know, I don't think much can be salvaged for Jonbon but it's hard to say. I'll have to have a good chat with him. For now I guess we'll just have to babysit this one and make sure he doesn't die." I give Klak a nudge with the toe of my boot.
Feb 8, 2016 7:21 am
In the Farmhouse

It's clear that Elista, while terribly worried about her son Devek, isn't all that sure about letting these strange dwarves carry him away. Morgran lacks a certain bedside manner; he's pontificating about how your group will "enact vengeance upon the evildoers who killed your boy, just as the great scroll of Kord tells us to do!"
OOC:
Aanbo could try to persuade her of the sense of this idea; if so, make a persuasion check.
Outside at the Farm

Abel nods. "Yes, Eminent Enormousnesses, I have a cart that I sometimes use to take wool into Hochoch." He takes you to a smaller barn and begins to unload a bunch of tools from the simple hand cart there. "You are welcome to use it, but to take my boy...?"
OOC:
Sara or Quest might also try to convince him.
Feb 8, 2016 3:54 pm
"The temple at Hochoch has the facility to care for your boy," Aanbo says calmly. "Abella may accompany us if you would like a family member along."

As an aside to the mother, Aanbo says with a wink, "The priests there also have better... bedside manners."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 8, 2016 5:08 pm
At the Farm

Aanbo's calm, cheery disposition reassures Elista, and she nods assent. Morgran gently hefts the comatose boy and the two dwarves proceed downstairs and out the door, with Elista and all the children in tow. They join the group of Abel Jarl, Sara, Thacogygax, and Quest in the yard. Abel looks startled at this procession, but Elista nods: "They're going to take Devek to the temple in Hochoch, Abel." Morgran sets Devek gently on the hand cart that Abel has just cleared.

Abel is grateful that such "Luminescent Monuments" are willing to care for his family, but he is torn between abandoning his family and abandoning his son to the care of strangers. Jonbon emerges from the barn and plays some music sweetly.

In the end, Abel relents, deciding that Elista and the other children will be safe enough in the farmhouse. Jonbon offers to stay in the barn as lookout, and Abel is comforted that someone will be there to protect the Jarls. Abel insists on pulling the cart on the trip to Hochoch and the group sets out, with the Jarl family following with well wishes. Arriving at Cecily's Road, Elista pulls out an assortment of country simples, which she uses to apply to the wounds of Ogbar, Durren, and the unconscious Klak. Then, with tearful goodbyes and well wishes, the Jarl family waves farewell to the party as they head back west toward Hochoch.
OOC:
Elista's care works as applying a healer's kit, so Klak can roll hit dice to recover. Afterward, Durren or Ogbar can ride in the cart to rest and spend hit dice as well.
Feb 8, 2016 5:43 pm
Aanbo pushes the cart. He relays the suspicion that a ruined building deep in the woods may hold a clue as to Devek's predicament. Unfortunately, nobody but Devek knows of its location. Aanbo does say this within earshot of Abel, hoping the farmer's knowledge of the land would provide a direction.
Feb 9, 2016 6:58 am
Abel frowns to himself. "But I told him..." He looks at you. "Honored Exultancies, Abella told me they'd been exploring and that they'd found some kind of ruin. She was afraid to go in, and she told me about it. Of course I forbade them to go back! Willful boy!" He fumes for a few minutes, then subsides as he looks at his deathly son. "I...I hate to impose on Monumental Paragons of Virtue such as you, Wondrous Masters, but if there's anything there that can be done to help my boy or prevent anyone else from...fr-from getting like he is...then would you? P-Please? I'll have Abella guide you to where they explored last; I'm sure it's close to there..."
Feb 9, 2016 7:03 am
Aanbo nods. "We will investigate," he says, trying to convey assurance. "We all know the impetuousness of youth; let us work now to ensure he learns his lesson, eh?"
Feb 9, 2016 6:13 pm
OOC:
Rolling hit dice for the injured currently-NPC party members Klak and Durren.
As the party continues back to Hochoch, Klak recovers consciousness, Elista's healing simples having had their desired effect. Aanbo stops the cart so that his dwarven companion can get off, and the wounded, weirdly formal human Durren gratefully takes his place on the bed of the cart. While there isn't room for her to ride, Xana notes that at least she doesn't have to deal with the oxen (which Sara notes as well). Xana tells Klak about how she rescued him and walks ahead of the cart, giggling. Thacogygax enjoys being able to stretch his legs this time.

Rolls

Klak HD recovery - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Durren HD recovery - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Feb 9, 2016 6:15 pm
Ogbar takes this opportunity to rest.
OOC:
Rolling HD

Edit: Wow... I've rolled 2, 2, 1 for Hit Dice so far, that's awful! Oh well, almost back to full!
Last edited February 9, 2016 6:22 pm

Rolls

Hit Die - (1d12+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Feb 10, 2016 5:04 am
As soon as Klak is awake (the moment his eyes pop open), I will stand above him and say "I saved your life. You're welcome." And then I walk away and giggle to myself.
Feb 13, 2016 3:28 pm
Klak watches the sky move past as the cart rolls along and quietly considers how this isn't the most heroic way to get back into town.
Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm
Some time later that afternoon as the party proceeds toward Hochoch, the hopeful smile on Abel's face falls, to be replaced by a brooding cloud.

"He...he tricked me! That minstrel! He used magic on me!" He looks furiously back down Cecily's Road and takes a few steps back to the east. Then he slows and stops, looking suspiciously back at the rest of you, particularly Aanbo trundling along with the hand cart bearing his son Devek. He's felt nothing but support from the two dwarves, and yet he's been separated from the rest of his family by a stranger, and yet they are taking Devek to a known healer... He trots back and confronts Aanbo with both anger and hopefulness: "Opulent Graciousness, what do you know of this minstrel, Jonbon? You know him well? He's trustworthy?"
Feb 20, 2016 6:44 pm
Aanbo stops. "I've never met him," he says, honestly. "If you say that the minstrel charmed you into leaving, you are justified in your worry. I will go with you back to your homestead. The others can take your son and our wounded the rest of the way."
Feb 21, 2016 7:15 pm
Klak sits up in the cart and holds his head. Taking off his helm, he notes a particularly nasty, and uncomfortable dent and begins to work at it with makeshift tools such as he can find about him. Ting, ting, ting.
Feb 21, 2016 7:46 pm
"Explain." Thacogygax says to Abel. "In danger your family is? Know this minstrel we do not." The sorcerous thraakon attempts to get a sense of what enchantment, if any, has been laid on the farmer.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Feb 22, 2016 12:22 am
I shrug. "I'm not that surprised. So now what?"
Feb 22, 2016 12:33 am
Aanbo stops his progress and gestures in the direction of Hochoch. "Get the wounded back to town. Whoever wants to accompany me back to the farm is welcome to." He turns to lead Abel back to his homestead.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.