Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm
In my most commanding voice. "Everyone, we have a long journey ahead. Let us rest this evening. It won't do for the oxen to be overtired either. Make sure they are fed and watered."
Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm
"Yes," answers Aanbo. "The oxen need rest as much as we do."

Still, the monk is a bit hesitant. "I wonder if our camp would be watched. Would we be giving away our true strength and numbers by settling down? I'd hate to force anyone to have to hide for the entire night, though."
Dec 31, 2015 5:01 pm
"That is a good thought, monk." Klak hadn't thought about exposing our true numbers this way.
Dec 31, 2015 6:30 pm
"I hope these meager rations will do fer a short espionage mission!"

Morgran's words are mostly muffled by the stiff jerky between his teeth as he breaks into his first set of rations to start off the journey. He dequips his shield and loads up his light crossbow, placing it beside him to hide the holy symbol. He does, however, light a stick of incense for the journey and starts spinning a small prayer wheel, muttering nonsense statements about the glory of Kord whilst the road grows longer ahead of him.
Jan 2, 2016 8:09 am
The group finds a clearing in the Dim where the oxen can be staked and still graze. PCs can choose to stay concealed in the wagon (roll Stealth) or help set up a comfortable camp (roll Survival). It is the gloaming now; if there was a sunset, there's no sign of it within the Wood, and it's rapidly getting dark.
Jan 2, 2016 1:38 pm
Once settled in I set about preparing the camp site and gathering some berries and herbs to spice up the flavour of the dried provisions.

OOC Note, my Natural Explorer (Forest) grants me the following bonuses while we are in a forest

- Int and Wis checks related to Forests have double proficiency bonus
- Difficult terrain doesn't slow group travel
- Can't be lost except by magical means
- Remain alert even when engaging in another activity
- Find twice as much food when foraging
- When tracking, learn exact number, size and how long ago they passed

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Jan 2, 2016 3:50 pm
Klak, not having had a concealment job in the first place assists with setting things up around camp. That said, it's pretty evident he's not really got a lot of experience setting up camp. Bedrolls are placed upon small rocks, dirt is accidentally kicked into the fire -- twice. And various pots and pans are dropped at times creating something of a din. All for which Klak apologizes, but alas...
Last edited January 2, 2016 3:51 pm

Rolls

Survival - (1d20-1)

(2) - 1 = 1

Jan 2, 2016 3:51 pm
Thacogygax sends a telepathic message to Sara, who he can hear moving about the camp: "Stay hidden, I will. Ambush us in the night, Black may." The awkward thraakon attempts to remain concealed in the back of the wagon. Unfortunately his scaly tail is sticking out in plain view.

Transmutation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (a short piece of copper wire)
Duration: 1 round
You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.
You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond
the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn’t have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
Last edited January 2, 2016 3:58 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Jan 3, 2016 12:04 am
Thinking that anyone spying on the camp would consider the unarmed monk to be a common peasant, Aanbo helps the camp as best he can.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Jan 3, 2016 5:07 am
Ogbar goes about his tasks mechanically, his mind for to the north in his homeland with his beloved Olga. Hopefully he'd be able to get back to her before too long.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Jan 3, 2016 11:45 am
"A quick stroll can't do a Dwarf any harm. See ya!"

Morgran grabs his crossbow and makes a wide stroll around the camp, checking through the forest for around 10 minutes to see if there are any areas of interests, possible ambush points, creatures or otherwise.

Rolls

Wisdom (Perception) - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jan 3, 2016 3:01 pm
I climb into the back of the wagon while everyone is making preparations and find a spot to take a nice, long nap.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Jan 3, 2016 3:33 pm
Smiling toothily, Thacogygax scoots over to make room for Xana.
Jan 3, 2016 6:40 pm
Quest keeps his weapons stowed to keep up appearances that he is just a common guardsman and helps set up the camp.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Jan 5, 2016 7:42 am
The others are pretty useless - clumsy from a day's worth of riding, probably - but Sara is pleasantly surprised at how capable Ogbar, even daydreaming about Olga as he is. Between the two of them, they soon have a good fire going with good stew in a pot, the oxen hobbled and grazing contentedly, and ground tarps set up for the bedrolls of those who are sleeping out under the stars tonight.

Morgran finds traces of previous camp sites - none recent - and as he is coming back to the wagon, he freezes, seeing a deer not twenty feet from him.

Thacogygax pops his head up out of a box, sees Xana climbing into the wagon and scoots over to make room for her before sticking his head back in the box...not realizing that the rest of him is plainly visible.
Jan 7, 2016 9:16 am
Morgran decides to leave the deer be, and the rest of the night passes...uneventfully. The next day dawns. Everyone rises and partakes of 1 meal's worth of rations. I'll assume that everyone maintains the subterfuge of a merchant wagon until you tell me otherwise. Having hitched the oxen back to the yoke and continuing on the road, the party continues as it did the day before.

The gloom of the forest is relieved occasionally by meadows, and sometimes you can see the signs that homesteaders and foresters are trying to live in the Dim. But for the most part, Cecily's Road is level and the journey uneventful.

There's a bundle of rags lying in the road some distance ahead, dappled by sunlight and shadow. Anyone on foot or driving the wagon (ie, not hiding inside) can make a perception check to see what they can tell about it.

Rolls

DM check - (1d100)

(41) = 41

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jan 7, 2016 1:20 pm
"...wasn't long an' I found tha' deer just standin' by 'self in the woods. Pickin' my nose I was, and it got away b'fore I could reload my crossbow!"

Morgran is facing behind the wagon, chatting casually with anyone who will listen, starting now to pay attention to the grumbling of his stomach.
Jan 7, 2016 1:56 pm
Ogbar changes out his bandages carefully in the night.

Seeing the bundle lying ahead Ogbar is put on alert as he tries to determine what it is.

4 HP again? Ugh
Last edited January 7, 2016 1:57 pm

Rolls

Hit Die - (1d12+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jan 7, 2016 3:58 pm
Aanbo listens contentedly to Morgran's tale, in the back of the covered wagon. Truly there is something to be learned in this. "Indeed, the removal of a pebble in sight of the boulder can yet lead to a larger avalanche of fortune."
Jan 7, 2016 4:18 pm
I stride ahead of the wagon to get a closer look at the pile of rags, attentive to the possibility of an ambush as I do so.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.