Scene 1

Feb 16, 2016 2:01 pm
Prologue:
Some of you have been working together for a while, some are newer additions to the group. You have all worked together as a team at least once before. Your last job together went swimmingly. Some cheating company man got thrown out of his swanky apartment and hired your team to steal back all of the stuff that his wife was set to take in the divorce. Milk run.

That job came from Vinyl. He's an Ork that used to run the shadows as a face. Now he leverages the connections he made during that life to run his new business of being a fixer. He gets people in touch with other people... for a fee. He takes his clients and their needs very seriously, but once the business is done, he'll be the first one at the dance club living life to the fullest. He's warm, friendly, and rather flirtatious with the ladies. He loves to have a good time.

Scene 1:
It's a typical Spring Monday in Tacoma: Smoggy, drizzly, and generally unpleasant. Most of you have lived in the area your whole lives and are used to the weather. The "Tacoma Aroma" isn't particularly bad today, the wind is mostly from the North bringing with it a constant chill.

Throughout the early to mid afternoon you are all contacted by Vinyl. He knows you all at least well enough to know if you prefer voice or text, and always makes sure to use the right one. Staying on people's good side is his job and he's good at it. Vinyl tells you all that he has a client that he wants you to meet. They'll be at a sports bar/grill called Sideliners at 19:00 (7:00pm). They serve food there, but the Johnson won't be eating with you. Please wait until business is concluded to order food.

I'm assuming everybody is going to accept the invitation. Does anyone want to show up early to stake the place out? Does anyone want to intentionally arrive late? Is anyone going to carpool and arrive together? If you don't have a car and aren't carpooling, are you going to take a cab or the bus?
Feb 16, 2016 4:41 pm
OOC:
not sure how the labeling in posts go as far as speaking, action, and thinking, let me know if I do something wrong
Max is sitting in his apartment on the east side of the Tacoma district. Not many places in Tacoma are what anyone would be considered nice places, but with a little interior design thanks to strategic dumpster diving and sizeable payoffs to the local gangs for protection (as distasteful as dealing with their kind is), one can have a nice comfortable life with most of the amenities of someone living in Renton or even in the south Seattle district.
OOC:
justifying max's middle lifestyle
Max is excited to finally be experiencing an important part of history. it took a lot of time, a lot of nuyen, and a lot of poking around in the dark and spammy places of the Matrix, but by God he finally managed to track down a digital copy of Star Wars: Podracer a week ago and today he finally tweaked the code enough to run it on modern equipment.

As Max is swimming in the euphoria of falling into the beginning of an hours-long Star Wars geekout session, he gets a notification of a text message that pops up in AR. Max is first tempted to ignore it in favor of playing with his "new" game until he sees that the message is from Vinyl, his fixer. Vinyl is usually a good source of jobs for Max, and with jobs comes nuyen, and getting his hands on this particular game and making it usable used up a lot of his spare cash. With a longing look at the loading screen displayed huge and brightly in AR, he turns away from it and points in the air, activating the message.

GOT A CLIENT I WANT YOU TO MEET. SIDELINERS, 7:00PM. FOOD AFTER BUSINESS.

Two thoughts ran through Max's head at that moment: relief that he has about seven hours to play his game before he has to leave for the meet, and gratitude that the underworld culture of Shadowrunners in Seattle includes Johnsons paying for dinner as part of the meet. A Shadowrunner saves some nuyen that way, which can be better spent on trideo games and tech.

he checks the header of the message and sees that similar messages have also been sent to some runners that he knows. He sees that Andy is also invited to the meet so he sends her 'link a message:

I SEE WE'RE BOTH INVITED TO THE SAME MEET. COULD I GET A RIDE?

After hitting 'send', Max settles down into his recliner and prepares for a long gaming sesh, his only regret being that with old technology like this there is no way to play in full VR.
Feb 16, 2016 6:10 pm
Head-first inside the engine compartment of a Chrysler-Nissan Cirrus, Andy barely pays any mind to the notification of an incoming call in her goggles. She mumbles a complaint about aftermarket parts whose buyers only look at advertised specs and then blame problems on mechanics like her. Finally she pulls herself out of the tangled mess of an engine, rips off her oil-slicked gloves, and presses the side of her goggles to link her comm and see who's contacting her.

Andy stares at the ID before accepting the call in her earbuds. "Vinyl," she says, mentally steeling herself for the Fixer's smooth tones. Vinyl is a nice guy, but the flirtatious ork can lay it on thick. "No, just in the middle of work. Sure, I got time for you."

The human mechanic moves her goggles atop her bandanna and rubs her eyes. While her image link allows for video calls, she prefers audio-only for this type of conference, especially since her commlink is stuffed in a pocket. Andy crosses the floor of the automotive shop to her radio, turning down the music as she listens closely to Vinyl's words. She nods in unspoken acknowledgement and heads to the back, where she sits on a rolling stool and wheels along the counter. "Yes, I know the place; I hate their wings. It's fine. I'm there for the job, not the food. Yes, I'll be there. 1900, don't worry."

A pause. "We'll see. Got some drek to take care of in the shop, you know? You can buy me a round another time, maybe after the job." She rolls her eyes.

Andy hangs up and walks over to her Bulldog parked at the far end. They might have to perform the run immediately after the meeting, and it makes sense to bring her sisters along. She packs one of her MCT Roto-Drones in the back of her GMC Bulldog and an MCT Fly-Spy in the front, and loads the vehicle with a variety of tool kits, her medical case, and survival pack.

Her commlink buzzes with another incoming text. Andy looks over the message from F4d30ut and smiles, then flies her fingers over the screen as she types up a reply.

Pick you up at 1815 < 3

Flipping on her radio once more, Andy settles the goggles on her face and slips on a new pair of gloves, and returns to the Cirrus to make sense of it. Mindful of the time, Andy makes a mental note to arrive early and set up at a back table, and let her Fly-Spy hover above them.
Last edited February 16, 2016 7:20 pm
Feb 16, 2016 9:47 pm
Vision sits in a small and extremely sparse one room apartment. The only pieces of furniture in the room are a mattress in the corner, a desk, and the basic cooking appliances. Vision sits cross legged in the center of the room meditating. She has earbuds in her ears blaring music. The song playing is a special song Vision wrote herself, it is designed to help her go through a series of mental exercises. She clears her mind, organizes her thoughts, and strengthens neural pathways crucial to her magic. When she is finished meditating she gets up and starts listening to her current favorite bands newest album. It is then that she notices a message on her comlink.

Got a client I want you to meet. Sideliners, 7:00PM. Food after business.

Vision responds with a quick "ok" and then puts on her AR gloves and goggles. She picks up an AR book from the desk titled The Folly of Memory: How Metahuman Brains Fail to Store Information Accurately.

"I have plenty of time before I need to leave" vision thinks to herself. "Sideliners is a pretty public place, I am not too worried about foul play. I don’t need to scout the place out, but I will show up about 10 minutes early just to be professional."
Last edited February 16, 2016 9:50 pm
Feb 16, 2016 11:24 pm
Home after a hectic shift at the Cherry Lounge, Marcus receives Vinyl's call on his commlink. Deciding to probe a bit more about the job, he asks Vinyl a few questions.

"That sounds good and all, but what's this job about? I need to know what's going on so I can better handle Mr. Johnson when we meet him. I can't go in there blind, not after that marshmallow incident."

He needs the nuyen though, so he plans on taking the job anyway. While talking to Vinyl he begins to gear up, and also shoots a message to the team.

If you need a lift, meet me at the park @1800. I plan on getting there 20 minutes early. - Rinse
Feb 16, 2016 11:32 pm
"Vinyl" Lo mumbles to himself as the text notification snaps him out of a quick afternoon nap. Sitting up and squinting to adjust his eyes the fixer's message slowly comes into focus. Sideliners isn't an unfamiliar location to Lo, but just like every other job, he wants to scope out the meeting location just to be safe. As usual he doesn't bother acknowledging the notification.

Shaking his head clear, Lo sends Andy a quick note, "droping off stuf at u place b4 going 2 scout meetins loc...". While he is a fairly competent speaker of the english language, his spelling leaves much to be desired.

Rummaging through the various collections of junk strewn about his one room apartment he finally manages to find his equipment bag. Holstering a single Ares Predator V and two of his favorite knives he leaves the rest in the bag "No need going in fully loaded while scouting." he thinks to himself, "I'll just leave the rest with Andy."

Securing his bag onto his back and pulling on his long leather coat (covering the bag) he heads out the door and over to Andy's.
OOC:
I'm going to assume he is within walking distance to Andy's and that it's not uncommon for him to store some stuff there before a run. From there he'll walk/bus the rest of the way to the location. He'd like to get there a good hour before the meet, if possible, and scout a bit.
Feb 16, 2016 11:57 pm
Andy sits cross-legged in front of the now-functional Cirrus, its engine purring with a barely-noticeable rattle. As the exhaust fills the open-air garage, she taps a few keys on her commlink in reply to Lo.

K < 3

After she hits Send, Andy types up another reply to Rinse.

Picking up F4d3 meet you there < 3

Andy stands and drops the hood of the car. She moves it outside the shop and parks it alongside a few other vehicles in various states of disrepair. Inside a very-cramped office in one corner of the shop, Andy uses the phone to dial the owner of the Cirrus and inform him that his car is ready and to show up before closing, then drops the keys into a lockbox.
Feb 17, 2016 12:39 am
If you need a lift, meet me at the park @1800. I plan on getting there 20 minutes early. - Rinse

Max receives the message from Rinse at a very tense moment in the video game and he momentarily panics, sending Rinse a message and yelling out at the same time, stressing out his 'link and crossing a wire or two in the process.

"Already got a ride, Rinse!" NOW THIS IS POD RACING!
Last edited February 17, 2016 12:39 am
Feb 17, 2016 1:58 pm
Vinyl talking to Rinse over comms:
"Come on, Rinse. You know the shadows don't work that way. The Johnson won't even give me the details until we all meet. What I can tell you is that it's some kind of a heist, but that you should be able to pull it off quietly if nobody frags it up."

Lo is easily the first one of the group there. Sideliners Sports Bar is in North Eastern Tacoma. It's a contrast to the places most runners are used to meeting. It's brightly lit, the staff is friendly (or at least they pretend to be) and the patrons don't spend most of their time scowling and looking over their shoulders.

There's a bar in the center of the public area with several large trideo screens hanging from the ceiling. Around the edges of the dining area are several booths and tables where couples, small groups, and families sit and eat dinner.
OOC:
It's basically like an Applebees.
On the trideo screen, you can tell that there is a Hockey game getting underway. At first glance, you don't see anything out of the ordinary. No one appears to be watching the restaurant or preparing for an ambush. Fully scouting the area will require a Perception + Intuition [Mental] test.

Does anyone else want to do anything to prepare before heading over to the meet?
Feb 17, 2016 4:04 pm
Andy closes up her shop a tad early, pulling a criss-cross security gate across each bay and drawing the metal shutters. She heads upstairs to prepare a few sandwiches; nothing fancy, just a knock-off mustard spread with soy-based deli slices.

As she waits for Lo to drop off his gear, Andy inspects her own equipment. She ensures that her Roto-Drone's belt feed to the mounted FN-HAR is stocked and her own personal Colt America loaded. After jumping into each drone to intuitively feel out their specs, Andy connects her RCC to each and runs a diagnostic on their autosofts before testing their synchronization.

Andy finally suits up, throwing a dark raincoat over her armored overalls and slipping on a pair of scuffed combat boots. She spends some time cleaning her face and wiping off the oil and grease. No sense in staying grubby at a place like Sideliners, she reasons, before re-applying her bandanna and setting her goggles and earbuds on her head.

When Lo arrives, Andy lets him stash his equipment in a corner of her studio, in one of a number of metal lockers. While each locker is treated as private, Andy does reserve the right of access in times of emergency, something she's never had to do and hopes to continue that. She offers Lo a sandwich and asks if he's doing well, before wishing him luck and safe passage as he leaves to scout the area.

At 1800, Andy locks up her studio and starts up her Bulldog, closing her eyes momentarily as she feels the engine rumbling. There's a lot to be said about jacking into a vehicle and feeling its pulse sync with her heart, but for initial meet-ups with a job on the line, sometimes not leaving the I'm-an-obvious-Rigger-jumped-into-an-armored-van mark in the Matrix is best.

After a last check to make sure her Fake SIN is broadcasting, Andy releases the brake and sets off towards F4d30ut's apartment.
Feb 17, 2016 4:41 pm
Max's field of vision fills with a large AR window that brightly flashes red with the words "TIME TO GET READY" in large font. reluctantly, Max closes his makeshift dreamcast emulator and gets out of his chair, stretching his neck and feeling several joints pop. That sure didn't seem like hours.

In preparation for the meet he straps on his Ares Predator in its concealed holster on his back, steps into some pants that aren't too dirty but are passable, a hoodie and his lined coat. HE slips on his AR gloves despite the fact that he already has a cyberdeck with a sim module jacked into his head. Max can't stand the feeling of most textures and touching the faux leather seating at Sideliners causes him physical pain. He learned that it's just easier to wear gloves all the time and let people think the gloves serve a purpose. He doesn't bother to freshen up too much since he never talks or stays too close to the rest of the group while these meetings are taking place, he usually leaves all the fancy words and impression stuff to Rinse. Grabbing his NeoNet messenger bag, he stuffs his autopicker, bug scanner and jammer in his bag. Usually he's more useful at these meets as a means of looking out for unwanted surveillance. He also makes sure to bring two clips with him- one filled with regular ammo, one filled with stick n' shock. No sense in coming unprepared just in case the Johnson is giving them a job they have to pull right after the meeting. After checking the time, he grabs a nutrisoy bar and heads out the door to wait for Andy, making sure to switch to a fake SIN and deciding he'll be Tony Stark for the evening.

When Andy shows up at his place he quickly jumps into the passenger seat without much ceremony, puts his bag down by his feet, straps in and greets her with a nod. "Hoi, Chummer!"
OOC:
whenever we arrive, Max will look for anything suspicious. it's his job, after all. making a perception + intuition test
Last edited February 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Rolls

scouting the area - (6d6)

(312662) = 20

Feb 17, 2016 6:52 pm
F4d30ut, as you're the decker I assume you will also be looking in the Matrix (probably AR, though that's up to you) for suspicious activity as well as the the meat world. Matrix perception will be Computer + Intuition limited by the Data Processing stat of your deck. Which, I'm assuming will probably be the highest rating of your deck when you're making the test.
Feb 17, 2016 7:00 pm
PaladinRevenant says:
F4d30ut, as you're the decker I assume you will also be looking in the Matrix (probably AR, though that's up to you) for suspicious activity as well as the the meat world. Matrix perception will be Computer + Intuition limited by the Data Processing stat of your deck. Which, I'm assuming will probably be the highest rating of your deck when you're making the test.
OOC:
absolutley. making the roll now. Oh! also, I am assuming that the rest of the team has given me access to their commlinks so I can facilitate communication and pass on other info to the team and they can push info to me. if anyone doesn't want their character to give the decker access to their commlink, let me know. you can trust the decker, honest!
Last edited February 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Rolls

matrix perception (AR) (limit 5) - (9d6)

(316513563) = 33

Feb 17, 2016 9:49 pm
Seeing that no one took up his offer, Rinse heads to Sideliners. He discretely parks the car somewhere close to the restaurant, and then heads in to find a table.

Before the meeting Rinse will just make small talk with the waitress while watching the other patrons.
Feb 17, 2016 10:52 pm
Vision has a Colt American L36 field striped on the desk. She finishes cleaning the gun and puts it in a concealed holster on her back. She puts a hooded sweatshirt over her armored vest and grabs her goggles and puts them around her neck for the time being. Vision calls a cab, pops her ear buds in, and heads to the meeting.
OOC:
When I get to the meeting place I want to quickly look around astraly to make sure no weird magic is at play. And When Mr. Johnson shows up I want to use Assensing to analyses him, and then cast analyze truth. If I understand the spell correctly I should be able to spend successes to check if something he says is a lie as long as he is in range.
Feb 17, 2016 11:32 pm
"Should have had the sandwich at Andy's" Lo thinks to himself as he watches the patron's of Sideliners eagerly scarfing down grub. Doing his best to draw as little attention to himself as possible he'll spend his time walking slowly around the general area, looking in store windows, and checking for any signs of rival gang activity.

After his third pass by Sideliners he checks his watch and decides that the others shouldn't be too much longer. He finds himself a bench outside of the establishment and sits and waits.
OOC:
I'm going to have Lo roll the full scouting roll if for no other reason as to make sure I understand the mechanics. So if I understand a Perception + Intuition [Mental] check means I roll Perception+Intuition dice (10 in my case) but only [Mental] counts (4 in my case)

Rolls

Scouting [4 Maximum Hits] - (10d6)

(4135422151) = 28

Feb 17, 2016 11:52 pm
Andy offers F4d30ut a sandwich if he's inclined, while eating one for herself. She drives to the meeting with minimal small talk except to test her commlink sync with his gear. She parks the Bulldog in the lot of Sideliners and makes a casual look around to note the type and number of cars in the lot, perhaps an attempt to intuitively guess the type of owners she'd find inside given their make, model, and eatery. Tucked into her jacket is her Fly-Spy.

Inside, Andy spends a moment looking for the team's table (assuming they received word that someone has already arrived; if not, Andy will secure a table near the back and away from the crowds if at all possible). Once seated, she links up with her Fly-Spy and moves it above the table on or near the ceiling to act as a separate set of eyes and ears.
OOC:
Going to make a Scouting attempt to get used to the mechanics, too. I'm also very new to Rigging so I'm kinda playing drones on a loose interpretation of what I've read. Please let me know if any of my actions require additional rolls!

Rolls

Perception + Intuition [6] - (6d6)

(353114) = 17

Feb 18, 2016 2:38 pm
szemely says:
OOC:
I'm going to have Lo roll the full scouting roll if for no other reason as to make sure I understand the mechanics. So if I understand a Perception + Intuition [Mental] check means I roll Perception+Intuition dice (10 in my case) but only [Mental] counts (4 in my case)
OOC:
Yes, you have that correct. Also, in case anybody doesn't know or doesn't remember, 5s and 6s are Hits. sometimes you need to get a certain number of hits in order to accomplish something. I will rarely tell you how many hits a test takes, but I believe in varying degrees of success. If you make a test and get some hits but don't quite make the threshold I'll likely give you a partial success.
Lo finishes his third sweep of the perimeter, checking all the nearby alleyways and parking lots. He doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary. There are some local street gangers in the area, but that's to be expected. None of the gangers appear to be from any notable gangs.
OOC:
If you would like to try to identify the gangs that you see, you can roll your Gang Identification + Intuition [Mental]
Almost as soon as Lo plops his rear on a bench to wait for the group, Rinse shows up.
OOC:
Lo, I'm going to describe what happens when each party shows up and just let you decide when you come in.
Rinse walks into the middle-class sports bar at 18:38. Just as he gets to the hostess stand the bar erupts in a round of cheers and groans from the other patrons. The place is packed. Rinse throws a quizzical look at the uniformed human girl behind the stand. "Flames just tied up the game at the end of the first period," she says by way of explanation. She starts to look at her chart to tell Rinse how long the wait will be when he tells her that there's a reservation. Vinyl thought ahead and made a reservation under "Vinyl Industries" to be sure you all got a table.

The hostess checks on the reservation and tells Rinse that the table won't be ready for at least 10 minutes. She invites you to browse the menu on your commlink while you wait.

Several minutes pass while the commentators on the trid talk about how the game is going and how the players have been performing that season. A few other diners come in while Rinse waits and they are all told that the wait will be at least 45 minutes. Eventually, Andy and F4d30ut get there. The pair takes a quick circuit around the lot to check things out, but don't see anything particularly suspicious. Actually, you lot are the most suspicious people in the area just now.

The Matrix doesn't really show anything either. A few of the gangers in the area, the ones that are much too full of themselves, have AROs showing their symbols and colors. For now, this neighborhood appears to be having a quiet evening. Of course, it's still early.

Inside, F4d30ut in particular notices how crowded and noisy the place is. There just seem to be a lot of bodies in there all rubbing shoulders and elbows together, especially by the bar. It's rather unsettling. There is also a large ARO above the bar indicating the current score:

Detroit Red Wings: 3
Calgary Flames: 3
End of First Period

The hostess is visibly relieved when Andy and F4d30ut join Rinse in the waiting area. Shortly after that the Game appears to be starting up again and the general hum of the restaurant raises noticeably. It isn't long before Vision walks in to join the group.

As soon as Vision steps out of the cab she unfocuses her physical eyes and begins to see the world of the Astral. She can see the astral forms of every patron and employee in the restaurant. She sees that there are a small number of magically active people in the establishment, but notices no evidence of spells, wards, or spirits in the area. She can tell, however, that someone was recently murdered in a nearby alley. The taint of the act is still splashed across the Astral plane, even over a day later.

Soon after Vision joins the part waiting in the restaurant, the hostess approaches the party and tells you all that the table is ready. She leads you through the restaurant to a booth in the corner of the dining area. This is as far as you can get from the din of the bar area. Once you are all seated, the hostess tells you that your server will be Whitney and she should be along shortly.
OOC:
This has already gone on for a while, so I'm going to stop here and give you all a chance to take any quick actions before Vinyl and the Johnson get there. It won't take much time for that.

Also, who regularly views the world with AR turned on? I'm assuming that F4d30ut probably does, and possibly Andy as well, but anyone can have contacts or glasses that allow you to see AR. It's very uncommon for someone to not have a way to view AR, but not everyone has it ON all the time.
Feb 18, 2016 4:27 pm
Andy spends much of the wait time looking at the screens above the bar. It's pretty apparent that she's distracted by the game, so much that she fails to acknowledge Rinse and Vision at first. When it comes to hockey, Detroit is her favorite team and she's pulling for their win tonight. Her oversized goggles are pushed up on her head so she is not viewing AR at the moment.

When the group is shown to their table, Andy tries to take a seat that faces away from the video screens; rather difficult given that this is a sports bar and the crowd noise proves very tempting to check for an update. In order to get her mind focused on business, she links her Fly-Spy drone and moves it above the booth in the corner of the ceiling, where it can encompass a majority of the eatery in its field of view.

"Vision, darling, how have you been?" Andy asks, with genuine affection. Her elbows are on the table, one hand holding her cheek in an attempt to turn her gaze away from the bar.
Feb 18, 2016 4:43 pm
OOC:
F4d30ut absolutley is always in AR. that's the best way to see everything going on in the world! How would you know which electronic stores are having a sale, how much the food you're looking at in Stuffer Shack is, or see people that are in VR and walking about the city as an AR icon or see messages people are sending you? it would be rude to ignore AR!
F4d30ut had planned to walk inside and scan for anyone who has their commlink set to run silently, HOWEVER.....

As Max walks inside the restaurant and hears the loud noises and feels the crush of people, he starts to become very visibly upset. the press of people he could get used to, but the loud noises of people cheer at sport, the screaming of babies and the general noise of about a hundred people all having conversations set him on edge and causes him no small amount of pain. Quickly he activates his selective sound filters on his cyberears to filter out as much of the cacophony as he can which helps somewhat but still leaves Max very tense and distracted. He gets very quiet, looks down and starts to comb his fingers through his hair which is a motion that anyone who is very familiar with F4d30ut knows that this is how he soothes himself when he is stressed out.

When the hostess leads the group to their table, he is the first one behind the hostess and the first one to find a seat as far away from the bar as possible. the noise is a bit more manageable here and the addition of his sound filters make it so he filters out most of the ambient noise and calm down. Max stops brushing his hair and takes a few deep breaths.

"Guys, is there a better place I can be and still be part of the meet? The noise in here is a bit much"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.