Chapter 10: The City of Spiders

load previous
May 27, 2021 12:19 am
After a long march, you make it to the outskirts of Menzoberranzan and Vizeran begins setting up for a ritual. Candles are places in a complex pattern on the floor, the parts for the ritual you gathered are placed at appropriate points throughout the pattern and he sits in the midst of it, "Be ready..." he says and begins to chant...

The waiting is the hard part. Time seems to drag as you remain alert, weapons drawn, every nerve singing with the tension in the air all around you.

Finally, a swirling light begins to flare in the darkness. A barely audible humming shakes you to the core, rising and falling like a vast heartbeat in the depths. The glow of faerzress gathers and brightens, creating swirling pools like holes torn in the air. A roar sounds from far away as shadows move in the depths of those pools of light. The demons are coming.
OOC:
Anything you want to do at this point or just lie in wait?
May 27, 2021 2:49 am
The rumbling was also coming from Ælfric's guts. Had the nerves finally gotten to him? He knew things were finally coming to a head but was this it? Was this the end? Ælfric always hated how cryptic wizards were. If things turned ugly as they likely would when demons were involved, he warded himself and prepared to let fly a volley of force stars from his cloak at the first charging snout!
OOC:
Casting Mage Armor.
May 27, 2021 5:39 am
Hunter takes a deep, meditative breath. She squeezes Elayna's hand and offers a warm smile. "Whatever happens, it was good to see you again," she says. She grabs her staff and prepares herself for the onslaught.
May 27, 2021 5:41 am
Elayna returns the smile. "Our success will last through legends," she says, ensuring that everyone else can hear her conviction.
May 28, 2021 2:57 pm
Following Ælfric's lead, Seftan taps his staff on the ground and surrounds himself in a silvery cloak of magical armor as well. He looks to his partner with a crooked smile and rolls his eyes.

"Another fine mess you've gotten us into. I suppose I'll have to do my best to keep us both alive, no promises though."
May 28, 2021 4:03 pm
"No promises, friend," Ælfric replied with a smile, "only the best we can do."
May 28, 2021 11:54 pm
OOC:
Forgot to mention that I'd like to give every PC some Bardic Inspiration. 1d8 for folks to use as described below, including for Combat.
[ +- ] Bardic Inspiration
[ +- ] Combat Inspiration
May 31, 2021 9:35 pm
You prepare for the charge of the demon hordes, but are suddenly aware of something more approaching. A number of tunnels lead to Menzoberranzan and you see demons down each one. In addition to the normal demons, you see a horrifying sight. Demogorgon down one tunnel, his two baboonlike heads and tentacled hands moving and thrashing around him. Baphomet and Yeenoghu, lords of minotaurs and gnolls respectively, approach down two more. Graz'zt and Orcus are also present.

With the emergence of the demon lords, the lesser demons don't seem as interested in you anymore, turning on one another instead, trying to overwhelm the forces of their rivals from the abyss.
[ +- ] Demogorgon
[ +- ] Yeenoghu
[ +- ] Baphomet
[ +- ] Graz'zt
[ +- ] Orcus
May 31, 2021 11:05 pm
"Vizeran... Please tell me this is part of your grand design before I moisten the design on my breeches."
Jun 1, 2021 2:48 am
Hunter tightens her jaw. "I think this is the moment that old Hobren was preparing me for," she says, referencing her lost master. "If not, it's definitely the time to avenge Mai'ngor, Xeliss, and the others that stood with us."

She pauses. "Wait, are they fighting each other? Maybe we can do this. Bide our time and destroy the sole survivor!"
Jun 1, 2021 11:56 pm
Vizeran is still chanting, though the cadence and intensity have altered now. Seftan realizes at the last moment what has changed. Vizeran, with a smirk, disappears from the area, leaving you alone here to watch the demons fight.

The fights among the lesser demons is impressive enough, but the battle between the demon lords is something else entirely. Their roars make the cavern shake, dust shaking down onto your heads, and missed attacks gouge chunks out of the stone walls.

The sounds of battle finally die away, the ground before you stained black and red with demonic blood and ichor. In the terrible grip of Demogorgon, even the mighty Orcus looks almost small. Tentacles hold the Demon Prince of Undeath in a crushing grip, slithering across the maggot-riddled flesh of the horned demon, as they tighten inexorably. A strangled gasp issues from the demon lord's throat as a horrific crunching sound echoes throughout the cavern and his skull-topped wand clatters onto the floor.

Demogorgon casts aside the limp form, which melts away as Orcus returns to the Abyss that spawned him. The Prince of Demons throws back his two heads and roars his triumph. As he does, his nearer head turns, burning eyes raking across the battlefield. Filled with bloodlust and battle rage, the demon lord searches for another target.

You realize with horror that he's a mere 80 feet from you now. The horror of the battle rooted you in place as he drifted close throughout.
OOC:
For this, we're doing individual initiative! If you beat a 15, you can act immediately
Jun 2, 2021 12:42 am
"Here we go!" Hunter says with a smirk. She knew the respite would not last very long.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jun 2, 2021 12:43 am
"I don't know how you can be happy about this," Elayna remarks, gaping horror on her face as Demogorgon looms ahead.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Jun 2, 2021 2:20 am
"Survive now. Joke later," Ælfric said mostly to himself.

Ælfric clenched his teeth, drew the shortsword he named Lucky Strike, and prepared to let his force stars fly!

Rolls

Init to win it! - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jun 2, 2021 5:05 pm
"Bloody hell..."

Terrified as he is, Seftan nonetheless searches for the dropped wand of Orcus with his wide, wild eyes...
Last edited June 2, 2021 5:06 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 2, 2021 6:13 pm
OOC:
Can I grant d451 Inspiration for such blatant murder hobo greediness in the face of possible utter destruction?
Jun 2, 2021 6:29 pm
Hunter's magical console weaves into light before her. She pushes several glyphs and channels her mental power through her spell, sending a blast of psychic energy upon Demogorgon.
[ +- ] Synaptic Static

Rolls

Synaptic Static INT save DC 16 or take psychic damage - (8d6)

(41566421) = 29

Jun 3, 2021 6:00 pm
annex says:
OOC:
Can I grant d451 Inspiration for such blatant murder hobo greediness in the face of possible utter destruction?
OOC:
I don't think it counts as murder hoboing when it's demons ;)
Jun 3, 2021 7:08 pm
dominion451 says:
annex says:
OOC:
OOC:
I don't think it counts as murder hoboing when it's demons ;)
OOC:
Plausible reasoning. I'll accept it.
Last edited June 3, 2021 7:08 pm
Jun 4, 2021 9:41 pm
Hunter's spell goes off and the demon lord doesn't even wince at the attack. He shakes his head and lets out a rumbling chuckle, "Prepare to die, little ones..."

The huge creature moves toward you, each step shaking the ground beneath your feet.
OOC:
He is a mere 10 feet away.

Seftan: The Wand of Orcus isn't too far away (40 ft), but it IS on the other side of Demogorgon
Naatkinson sent a note to Naatkinson
Initiative
Hunter
Demogorgon
Elayna, Seftan, Aelfric
OOC:
Time for Elayna, Seftan, and Aelfric to act
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.