Chapter 10: The City of Spiders

load previous
Jun 23, 2021 1:29 am
"Does this mean we can go home now?" says Elayna. "I'm not comfortable down here."
Jun 29, 2021 9:14 pm
Ælfric looks around for anything to salvage, but apart from pieces of blasted demons, there's not much to see. It's possible that harvesting some of the demonic organs, horns, and flesh could be valuable to wizards or even those who just want interesting pieces of "art" to display.

Jimjar turns to Elayna and says kindly, "Of course. Where would you like to go?"
Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm
"Not back to Vizeran's tower, that's for sure," Ælfric said as he considered then rejected the notion of harvesting the killing fields.
Jun 30, 2021 2:49 pm
"Maybe the tower would be just the place to go..."

Seftan rolls his eyes at himself for suggesting what he knew might be a worse confrontation than Demogorgon,

"Viseran owes us some answers I think."
Last edited June 30, 2021 2:49 pm
Jun 30, 2021 3:55 pm
"I'm sure he thinks he owes us some choice words, words like 'enervate' and 'disintegrate'," Ælfric pointed out. "He left us to die. I have no doubt he considers our working relationship terminated. Let's not let him terminate us, too."
Jun 30, 2021 4:17 pm
"I was thinking more the other way around but if you think that he would let bygones be bygones then I suppose I can as well. However... If you think there's the slightest chance that he might blame us for dousing his plans then it's better to strike while he's weak from the ritual. If there's a chance he might come after us I would much rather fight him on our terms and in the open."
Jun 30, 2021 4:25 pm
"What are you talking about?" asks Elayna.
Jun 30, 2021 4:46 pm
"I'm saying he betrayed us for a reason, and if our defeat of the demon has spurned him then he might come after us. Simply put, I would rather take the fight to him than wait for his wrath to find me by surprise."
Jun 30, 2021 4:58 pm
Hunter says, "What do you mean by betrayed, exactly? He performed the ritual as he explained it, drawing all the demon lords to one location."
Jun 30, 2021 5:06 pm
"And then left us to perish alone."

Seftan waves his hand as though fanning away a foul odor.

"Perhaps I expected too much of the man. To me his actions reek of ulterior motive, but maybe I am overthinking. I will let it go if you think it best."
Jun 30, 2021 5:13 pm
"He never said he would fight alongside us," says Hunter. "By all means, feel free to discuss the nature of his participation. Elayna and I are heading topside."

She turns to Elayna. "I think you would like Silverymoon. But first I want to say good-bye to Stool.

"Jimjar, are you able to take us to the myconid grove?"
Jun 30, 2021 5:35 pm
"Overthinking is good for a wizard, Seftan, but not good for when you've been double crossed by a wizard. Let this one go, and let's go with Hunter and Elayna. We've worked well together, haven't we? Perhaps a more permanent alliance might be considered."
Jul 1, 2021 1:36 am
Seftan nods in agreement to Ælfric's suggestion and looks hopefully to Jimjar that he might join in the free teleportation.

"Yes, I suppose the fact that we survived this ordeal means we do indeed work well, I'd be open to a 60/40 partnership."

Seftan cracks a smile and offers an exaggerated wink to Ælfric.
Jul 1, 2021 2:24 am
"Agreed. I do most of the dangerous work, anyhow, so my 60% is rightfully deserved," Ælfric replied with a chuckle.

"What say you two?" he asked Hunter and Elayna. "Would you be interested in allying with a wizard and a thief of usually evil wizards?"
Jul 1, 2021 4:53 am
"Um, well, I didn't really give much thought to what I'd do afterward," says Elayna. She looks at Hunter.
Jul 1, 2021 4:54 am
Hunter smiles. "I've some business to settle on the surface," she says, a bit coyly. "After that? We can see."
Jul 1, 2021 12:34 pm
Ælfric smiled and bowed.

"All will be revealed in the fullness of time. For now, back to the Myconids?"
Jul 1, 2021 2:02 pm
Jimjar snaps his fingers and the smell of bumt demon flesh and ichor is immediately gone. Your vision refocuses after a brief moment of dizziness and you find yourself in a cavern by an underground lake which is surrounded by fungi of all kinds, which is tended by dozens of myconids. After a moment, you see a younger one not far away, which turns and approaches after a moment, releasing rapport spores to connect telepathically to you.

"Hunter, you're back!" it speaks excitedly in your mind, "I was worried about you."
Jul 1, 2021 4:49 pm
Hunter surrounds the small myconid with her arms. I'm alive, thanks to my companions. Tell the others that the demon threat has been taken care of.

With some sadness, she adds, I have to inform the surface of what transpired here. We'll have to leave through that opening that your elder led us to. She pauses. I... don't know when I'll be back.
Jul 1, 2021 5:02 pm
Ælfric smiled at the little toadstool. He'd always been hesitant around the sentient fungi for fear of being mind controlled and used as substrate but his encounters with them so far had been enjoyable. He knew not to push his luck, though.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.