Chapter 10: The City of Spiders

load previous
Jul 2, 2020 11:55 pm
"The whole city." Ælfric said to the others as they trekked. "We've got to cross the whole Corellon-damned city."
Jul 3, 2020 1:33 am
"You helped us walk quietly back in the labyrinth, right?" asks Elayna.
Jul 3, 2020 2:24 am
"It might take us longer to cross a whole Drow city than the hour my cloaking lasts. The good news is that we might blend in with everyone else using magic to sneak around."
Jul 3, 2020 1:43 pm
Before you leave, Vizeran warns you that it's quite a trek. As you go along, you find this to be a massive understatement and you spend twelve whole days walking down the tunnel.

When you arrive at the end, you find a solitary iron door at the end of the passage. Elayna feels a slight flare of magic from the emerald as the magical protections on the door are temporarily disabled.
Jul 3, 2020 5:48 pm
"Finally, the end of this tunnel. Be quiet and prepare for spiders," Ælfric whispered. "I'll cloak us once we're about to go through the city proper."

The thief would normally have checked the door but he trusted Vizeran's power, so he tried to open it quietly and peak beyond.
OOC:
Screw you, 1!
Reliable Talent makes that 23 Stealth and 19 Perception.
Last edited July 3, 2020 5:50 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+13)

(1) + 13 = 14

Perception - (1d20+9)

(7) + 9 = 16

Jul 4, 2020 3:14 pm
You open the door and look beyond. You are at the bottom of a deep ravine snaking through the stone. Not far off is an easily climbable wall of stone leading up to a higher section of the ravine. Large spider webs crisscross the area, but you can't see any spiders at the moment.
Jul 4, 2020 3:49 pm
Elayna wordlessly points to the wall as a means to be free of the webbing.
Jul 4, 2020 4:12 pm
Seftan nods his acknowledgment of the wall Elayna is pointing at and scans the area for any sign of danger through the enchanted eyes that cover his robe.
OOC:
able to see etherial and invisible
Last edited July 4, 2020 4:13 pm
Jul 6, 2020 4:16 pm
As Seftan looks up, he doesn't notice anything invisible or ethereal. There's a lot of webbing, but no spiders to be seen from here. But who knows what might be higher in the ravine?

You make your way up the wall and higher up in the ravine which is even thicker with webs. As you reach the top, you hear the sound of many feet around you. It seems that the spiders have become aware of your presence!
Jul 6, 2020 4:28 pm
"Oh gods," laments Elayna. She looks for an exit, and turning to the others she asks, "Do we run?"

Rolls

Perception if necessary - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Jul 6, 2020 5:16 pm
If we run we'll just have to come back, better to make our stand while we can!

Seftan triggers the Mage Armor on his Staff...
Jul 6, 2020 5:25 pm
"I meant run through, into the city!"
Jul 6, 2020 5:34 pm
Oh, that makes much more sense, yes let's do that!

Seftan secures his pouches and prepares to run...
Jul 8, 2020 1:48 am
Elayna looks around and sees no clear exit besides scaling the walls, which are quickly filling with spiders coming for a tasty meal.
OOC:
Going to give you a little bit of creative freedom. I want you to describe something you do to help your group escape the ravine. If some class feature or skill check could play into it, feel free. If you'd rather not narrate something, I suppose that's okay too :P Just make sure to post and let me know
Jul 8, 2020 5:33 pm
Elayna uses her hand crossbow to fire bolts into faraway webbing, hoping that the vibrations from the impact will draw some of the spiders away.

As she moves, she tries to inspire her companions with words of encouragement, saying things like:
"Ælfric, I know you can walk on walls. If you have rope, can you bring it up top?"
"Deathwake and Mai'gnor, you're both strong. If you're able to climb up and help Ælfric, you can protect him while he lowers a rope to us."
"Seftan, you're a master of magic. You might need to make us an emergency escape with your magic rope thing if things get too bad. Sarith and I will be with you."
OOC:
While her words might sound like suggestions, Elayna would only say it if the person wasn't sure what to do. If other players have ideas, Elayna wouldn't object.
Jul 8, 2020 6:36 pm
"Give me another rope," Ælfric said. "I'll secure and drop down both."

Ælfric wasn't keen on spiders but he was keen on Elayna's suggestions. After leaving the ends of the ropes with her and saying a brief incantation, his silent footfalls scaled the wall. He scanned the area around and ahead of him as he climbed for any new threats and for where he could secure the other ends of the ropes. To save time, he would use his invisible arcane fingers to tie the second rope. Once secure, he'd signal the others to start climbing.
OOC:
Casting Guidance... just in case I need it.
Reliable Talent makes that a 19 perception.
Last edited July 8, 2020 6:37 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Jul 8, 2020 7:20 pm
I can indeed use magic to get to the top but I have no magic rope I'm afraid. Hand me some rope and I'll fly it up...
OOC:
daily portent dice...
Last edited July 9, 2020 8:15 pm

Rolls

Portent - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Portent - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jul 8, 2020 8:37 pm
OOC:
Elayna has no rope, as she literally came into existence without anything, and had to raid the library's Lost-and-Found.

Also, I think I mistakenly thought Seftan had suggested Rope Trick, but I confused that memory from another game.
Jul 8, 2020 8:50 pm
OOC:
woulda been a good escape though
Jul 8, 2020 9:00 pm
OOC:
I think Rope Trick was in my game. ;)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.