Chapter 10: The City of Spiders

May 19, 2020 1:52 am
"Oh yes, there will be defenses," Vizeran assures you, "But I have allies in the city that will be able to aid you. I belong to a group of males in the city called the Council of Spiders. I will be getting you into contact with them and they'll help you get into the city and into Gromph's sanctum."

"First, though, I have some preparations to make," he continues, "Take some time to mentally prepare yourself for what comes next. I estimate it will take one week to complete my work and then I will send you on your way."
May 19, 2020 2:29 am
Elayna nods, though she wonders if she might be able to handle a week of nothing to do. Perhaps that will give her and her companions time to know the strangers under the same employ.
May 19, 2020 2:45 am
"Take your time, boss. We'll be here and ready," Ælfric replied then nodded at Elayna. "See, kid? That wasn't so bad, was it?"
May 21, 2020 3:59 pm
An entire week here, with what to do? Is there anything you need us to do in the meantime other than this 'mental preparation'? Just sitting - it chafes. Deathwake says, keeping as much of her annoyance out of her voice as possible at the downtime they appeared to be facing while Vizeran makes his preparations.
May 22, 2020 10:20 pm
"I care little what you do, so long as you don't try to access the upper levels of the tower," Vizeran says dismissively.
OOC:
Be creative in figuring out what you want to do, even if there's no rules for it, we'll work something out. And remember that a week in the Forgotten Realms is 10 days!
May 23, 2020 2:12 am
Well accustomed to the disparaging tones that come with wizards, Ælfric certainly didn't take Vizeran's dismissal personally. As for the obvious invitation for a thief to break into the top floors, the rogue thought it best not to go peeking where he shouldn't.

"We should learn the capabilities of our new friends, Deathwake, and I'd like to practice with my new sword. Perhaps some sparring. What say you all?"
annex sent a note to Naatkinson
May 23, 2020 4:35 am
"Uh, no," says Elayna. "Fighting is the last thing I'd like to do right now."
May 23, 2020 4:56 am
"Right now? No. I need a bubble bath and some sleep before I practice any forms. I'll be up for the more esoteric endeavours, too. Cunning and arcana will be paramount against Drow but we must be prepared to fight, too."
May 23, 2020 12:39 pm
Sparring is certainly an option, though I am intrigued by this - bubble bath - you speak of. What is it? Deathwake says, eyebrow perking up a bit.
May 24, 2020 4:36 am
"All you need is a bathtub full of hot water and a foaming soap. It's like you're luxuriating in a warm cloud. Eladrin and High Elves are fond of them," Ælfric responded while smiling. "It really is quite relaxing. I'm sure I or Seftan here can find the right soap or ingredients somewhere in a wizard's sanctum. Right, Seftan?"
May 28, 2020 8:07 pm
"Should take no effort at all I'm sure."

Seftan relishes the idea of a bath himself and then perhaps some time to read. Having felt woefully unprepared for his brush with the demon prince, he wondered if there might be a library for his use within Vizeran's tower...
Last edited May 28, 2020 8:08 pm
Jun 6, 2020 2:28 am
At the end of the ten days, Vizeran calls you together once more, "It is now time for you to fetch Gromph's grimoire," he says and then holds up a glowing green emerald, "While you are there, I need you to place this within the city. When I complete my ritual, it will be the focus for the spell and it needs to be there. Somewhere within Gromph's chambers would be best, but anywhere in the city will technically work. Do you understand?"
Jun 6, 2020 6:36 am
Elayna holds out her hand. "Yes. Somewhere in the city."
Jun 6, 2020 11:06 pm
"Hiding an emerald in the city of the drow... Oh no I see no problem with that at all!"

Seftan smirks as he mutters this snarky comment.

"Maybe if we hallowed out a book and slipped it onto a shelf? Or make it permanently invisible?"
Jun 7, 2020 12:10 am
The past week was relaxing but stressful at the same time for Ælfric. He rested, trained with weapon and magic, and constantly fought off the urge to test himself against the security of the wizard tower's top levels. Enlightened self-interest saved him from a no doubt swift yet painful execution by Vizeran's magicks but Ælfric kept wondering how far he could have gotten before getting disintegrated. Perhaps he would find out against Gromph's defenses instead.

"We'll aim for Gromph's chambers, boss. Even covert desecration of a book in his library might attract a wizard's notice, though, and an invisibility spell in a drow wizard's sanctum would be like illuminating the gem with fairie fire. Best to hide it in plain sight, I think."

Ælfric paused to think for a few seconds.

"If he's got any treasure or material component stashes, we can slip it there. He's not likely to notice an extra emerald among the bunch."
Jun 12, 2020 2:11 am
Naatkinson sent a note to annex
Jun 12, 2020 2:12 am
"Gromph hasn't been seen in the city since the demon lords were summoned," Vizeran says, "So I am hoping that him returning won't be something we'll have to be concerned with."
Jun 12, 2020 2:29 am
Elayna keeps her hand out, ready to take possession of the gemstone. "And the Council of Spiders?"
Jun 12, 2020 3:05 am
"I suppose I shouldn't expect a Drow group to be called the Sorority of Dandelions... but I'd be more terrified of it if it was," the thief chuckled.
Last edited June 12, 2020 3:05 am
Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am
It's good that spiders squish so easily. Deathwake says, smiling at her own joke. What about just putting it in a bag with other gems? Seems a bag could be easily put in the city easier than a glowing bright rock?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.