Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
May 10, 2017 3:14 pm
"Let's try to take care not to release any more of those jinn things, if we can," Domarc says. "We need to be alive to talk to Pafthinel, and he needs to be alive too. I don't think dancing and pictures are going to work to communicate with the dead."

I'll take one of the rings of spell storing that Vheyzen had, if that's cool with folks. I'm not sure if I can use what spell he might have stored in it, or if I need to attempt to put my own in at some point.
Last edited May 10, 2017 3:16 pm
May 10, 2017 4:59 pm
Zangua continues to don his armor, and once finished heads towards the pit.
May 10, 2017 5:57 pm
Outside, Leth can hear that the noise is coming from the other hill. But standing where he is, partly down the north face of the western hill, he doesn't have a good line of sight to it.

Mordred hurries to the remaining sealed door in this cavern.

~meanwhile~

The captain is on deck observing the terrible wonders on the island, and many of the crew are entreating him to pull anchor and leave. He says plainly that he will not, as long as the conflagration remains on the island interior and does not appear to be headed toward the ship.

Terra, if you want to get off the ship, you'll have to ask for access to one of the rowboats.
May 10, 2017 6:17 pm
"Let's not split up!" Domarc yells, seeing that Leth is gone and that Mordred and Zangua are heading in different directions. "It's supposed to be confusion to our enemies, not confusion to us!"
May 10, 2017 10:08 pm
Felor wakes from a dream about Fjorgyn's wrath causing a landslide, and gets to his feet to see the others heading in different directions. "What..." he looks at Domarc in confusion, unsure what to do.
May 11, 2017 11:30 am
"I'll be right back, Domarc!" Mordred yells.

Has the door changed at all? If not, Mordred will run back to where Domarc and Felor are.
Last edited May 11, 2017 11:32 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 11, 2017 7:16 pm
The door looks the same as before.
May 11, 2017 7:26 pm
Zangua, having already left, stands watch at the pit. He stays by the entranceway to observe.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

May 12, 2017 12:53 am
Leth hurries back to the group's "camp".

"Sounds like its coming from the other hill. It has to be Pafthinel and our watery associate, right?"

He glances up at the dust falling from the ceiling. "In any case, I doubt we'll be able to get much more sleep tonight while they're fighting. The question is, will Pathfinel survive the encounter, and if he won't, can we make it to him before she gets what she wants?"
OOC:
If we just left this hill and took off towards the other hill, what's the rough estimate on how long it would take to reach the area where we saw the fire yesterday?
May 12, 2017 12:02 pm
BullOctorok says:
~meanwhile~

The captain is on deck observing the terrible wonders on the island, and many of the crew are entreating him to pull anchor and leave. He says plainly that he will not, as long as the conflagration remains on the island interior and does not appear to be headed toward the ship.

Terra, if you want to get off the ship, you'll have to ask for access to one of the rowboats.
Terra switched back and forth between self-preservation and the twang of guilt in her stomach that suggested she was supposed to do something about the fire that was engulfing the flora and fauna ahead. The fact nobody else aboard was trying pissed her off. People were so fucking insensitive.

"Grah...!" she grit her teeth and carefully climbed down from the viewpoint approaching the captain. "The fire may be preventing the party getting to shore," she said, her voice angry and condescending. "Give me a rowboat - if I can get to shore, me and some of the men can clear a way." She scanned the sands. She didn't mention the 'predators' the owl mentioned... no point in taking the knees from the spineless.

Want to roll Perception: Terra wants to see what obstacles lay ahead between her and getting to the shore to clear a path for the party. (Hopefully I have rolled correctly)

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

May 12, 2017 4:30 pm
You could probably get to the other hill in about an hour.

Zangua find nothing amiss with the pit.

~meanwhile~

Cornflower looks at Terra stone-faced for a moment, then point at one of his crewmen. "You. Go with her. Bring the boat back." The crewman gapes wordlessly and readies a protest, but the captain's glare silences him. To Terra, he says: "We will collect you with the rest of them, at the agreed time."

The water is calm right now, there should be no difficulty rowing to shore.
May 12, 2017 5:17 pm
Terra's anger faltered for a moment when it dawned on her what was actually going to happen now. I'm going to be sat in a tiny wooden open coffin, floating across salt water. She turned away fast enough to pretend she meant to do anything on purpose.

She already had her weapons with her including her staff (mostly in case she needs to hit sharks or anything along the way), looks to grab something to cut down wood with - perhaps a loaned extra sword or axe if they happened to have one - and then climbs warily onto the dingy before praying that she will make it to shore.

She is eager to get on to hard land as quickly as possible, even if it means going toward 'predators'.
May 15, 2017 9:01 am
thedandyman says:
Leth hurries back to the group's "camp".
"Sounds like its coming from the other hill. It has to be Pafthinel and our watery associate, right?"
He glances up at the dust falling from the ceiling. "In any case, I doubt we'll be able to get much more sleep tonight while they're fighting. The question is, will Pathfinel survive the encounter, and if he won't, can we make it to him before she gets what she wants?"
"If Pathfinel bound the elemental once, I suspect he is more than a match for it. However it may have caught him unprepared, so time may be of the essence. I vote we leave now."
Last edited May 15, 2017 9:01 am
May 15, 2017 3:50 pm
Zangua continues to watch the pit.
May 16, 2017 4:36 pm
Terra grabs a spare machete and boards the rowboat. The crew lowers it into the water. Her reluctant companion rows her swiftly to the island shore and wastes no time turning the boat around and rowing it back to the ship once Terra's feet are on land.

Is the party going to head over to the other hill, or get into an observation position first?
May 16, 2017 5:17 pm
OOC:
Leth is of the opinion that they should head over to hill #2 ASAP
May 16, 2017 10:05 pm
"I think we should head out," Domarc says. "There's too many unknowns for us to sit here and wait for something to come to us."
OOC:
Did the rest we got count for anything?
May 17, 2017 6:32 am
BullOctorok says:
Terra grabs a spare machete and boards the rowboat. The crew lowers it into the water. Her reluctant companion rows her swiftly to the island shore and wastes no time turning the boat around and rowing it back to the ship once Terra's feet are on land.
The moment her feet touch the ground Terra secretly thanks all the known and unknown gods and goddesses, and searches for any immediate danger. She's looking for anything that might pose a threat to her or anyone trying to make it to shore.

The fact the boat is already returning to the ship doesn't bother her -- until it does. "Hey!" She waved down the boat, "What about the others!" she scowls and turns on her feet, surrendering to the fact she'll just have to figure that out herself, and surveying the smoke, fire, trees and shore.
OOC:
I'm going to go ahead and do an Investigation roll and a Find Trap -- hoping the latter was rolled correctly, if not feel free to tell me how I should roll that again in the future. :)
Last edited May 17, 2017 6:37 am

Rolls

Investigation (proficient: Intelligence + 3) - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Find Trap (Spell - Wisdom + 2 + 5) - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

May 17, 2017 8:38 am
OOC:
GGW: I don't think Find Traps needs a roll, it just 'happens'. Not all spells need a roll - usually they only do if they're an attack spell.

Felor also wants to leave immediately.
Last edited May 17, 2017 10:43 am
May 17, 2017 4:47 pm
You all get Short Rest benefits. I'm gonna nudge whoever's on lookout outside a short walk clockwise around the hilltop to get a better look at what's going on on the neighboring hill.

The eastern hilltop is shrouded with smoke and steam. You can see two massive sheets of flame dancing and writhing, spreading across the hillside like wildfire and then gathering up into a towering column, whirling and twisting as if possessed with some kind of intelligence. Their movements seem to center around the source of the steam. It's difficult to see from here, but it must be the jinn.

~meanwhile~

The plan was for the rowboat to return to pick up the entire party after allowing them a few days to search.

Terra detects no traps, but can hear things moving through the brush and trees ahead. It's probably a walk of a little more than two miles to the hill where she saw the conflagration.
load next

Thread locked