Yet Another Age: The 13th Age

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 5, 2015 12:45 am
New system is up! Mostly anyway...

I've added 13th Age to Gamers' Plane. I'll be honest... I don't know the system. I only broadly know the setting. But it seems popular, and at least the people at the 13th Age Twitter account said they'd help drive some action here, so hopefully that pans out, heh.

One big detail: currently, the 13th Age character sheet has an Attack section, but it doesn't populate. I couldn't quite figure out how weapons/attacks work in the system based on the free guide available on DTRPG, so I put it where I think it may go, and left it blank. If you're familiar with the system, check out the 13th Age character sheet and please, give me feedback/criticism.

Regardless, I'm slowly working my way to having every character sheet ever on Gamers' Plane! 21 down, only thousands left! I'm gonna be working on RSS feeds for the forums next, and work on my Con list probably after. I'll be throwing in building in Primeval RPG and Shadowrun 5th Edition inbetween there.

And if you're into web technologies, with this release, I've got GruntJS doing launch compilation. Right now its just some CSS minification and LESS compiling, but as I learn more about it, I'm sure there'll be more neat things for me to do.
Apr 5, 2015 3:17 am
I've always wanted to try this system. Hopefully someone who knows what they're doing will fire up a game!
Apr 5, 2015 6:02 am
Hey! Taking a poke around your character sheet, decided to plug in my level 5 cleric from a game I play. So here's what I got so far. http://gamersplane.com/characters/13thage/299

The basic character sheet as is printed in the book is available here as well. http://www.pelgranepress.com/files/13thAge_Plain_CharacterSheet.pdf

My observations so far:

Recovery Roll field needs to be able to accommodate a xDy+z format, seems to only accept a single digit at the moment.

Basic Melee + Ranged attack are kept separate on the sheet. Basic Melee attack is always +Strength +Level +/-Modifiers vs AC, Basic Ranged Attack is always +Dexterity +Level +/-Modifiers vs AC, usually just written as +X vs AC. All attacks have a hit damage and miss damage. But it's not uniform between classes due to the equipment system.

Basically a Barbarian might be able to use a D10 2-handed sword without penalty, but a Cleric with the same weapon might be D8 with a -2 penalty. However my cleric using a 1 handed mace has D6 as their base damage, and can use a shield for +1 AC, where the barbarian receives a -2 whenever they use a shield. So hit damage will be different for each character, as a xDy+z formula. Miss Damage is a single digit, usually equal to level, but some classes deal no damage on a missed ranged attack.

Past basic attacks, many classes have specialized attacks that do different stuff. A fighter gains extra combat effects based on their specific combat roll. A cleric can use Combat Boon or Javelin of Faith as at-will Wisdom based attacks instead of their basic attacks, which means they target different defenses, deal magic / holy damage and have extra combat effects. So it makes sense to me to have an attacks list identical to the powers list to keep track of anything that deals damage, though the baseline character sheet doesn't make that specific distinction.

(I should note that in the current character sheet, I can't actually add anything under attacks)

For your consideration. There's also a "Incremental Advances" system in play. Where people can opt for next-level abilities before they level. This is done with checkboxes at the bottom of the character sheet. Though I feel like that particular aspect of the system isn't used often, and that the notes field is fine for keeping track of that.

Nice sheet though. Lays it out well and keeps everything tidy. Definitely going to consider running future PbP games here. :)
Apr 5, 2015 6:14 am
Now I'm looking at it AC / PD / MD aren't deriving correctly. Rozelle's defenses are supposed to be 25 / 21 / 18. So it doesn't appear to be adding the stat modifier or level to each final value.

Also doesn't seem to be picking up the middle value correctly for her PD. Rozelle's STR / CON / DEX are 16 / 16 / 10. So 16 is supposed to be the middle stat for a +3 modifier, which means the character sheet isn't picking that up.
Last edited April 5, 2015 6:44 am
Apr 5, 2015 6:46 am
Hm... I thought I got the middle stat logic worked out. I'll take another look at it. Might be a display issue. Either way, I'll address your notes and bugs first thing in the morning. I'll probably add the space for basic attacks right above an itemized list of attacks like the powers section.

For the note, in order for other people to see your character sheet, you have to add it to the library. To do so, go to your character page (simply by clicking the character link in the top menu), and find your character in the list. Click the book icon next to it (it'll color when you do), and your character will now be in the library for everyone to see!
Apr 5, 2015 7:17 am
Makes sense, did as you said. :)
Apr 6, 2015 11:14 pm
In accordance with the notes you provided, I've updated the 13th Age char sheet.
Apr 7, 2015 1:22 pm
The Physical Defense stat doesn't seem to be working correctly. It is giving me a +3 when it should be the middle of +1, +2 and +3.
Apr 7, 2015 1:40 pm
I'm looking at FrayJoker's sheet. Got one I can take a look at too Qralloq?
Apr 7, 2015 4:30 pm
I do. I added Binleeargo Jemop to 'the library'.
Apr 7, 2015 4:40 pm
The middle stat issue should be fixed either way.
Apr 7, 2015 11:16 pm
I'm getting an error when I try to add an Ability/Talent on the character sheet.
Apr 7, 2015 11:37 pm
I see... as I fix that, a question comes up... I was originally thinking racial abilities could go with class abilities as "Abilities/Talents", but as I think about it, it might fit better with background, but only from a structural point of view (inherent things about characters). Are racial abilities/notes more sensible with class abilities/talents or backgrounds?
Apr 8, 2015 1:16 am
Not really sure...
Apr 8, 2015 2:05 am
Looks like the Defense Modifiers are a bit off as well. For Apró Bot they were 12/13/12 and since I've visited the sheet a couple of times they're 12/14/15 (looks like they're using the wrong modifier). Of course it may be because you're working on something with the sheet now.
Apr 8, 2015 2:09 am
I adjusted the defense modifiers to calculate correctly. They were calculating wrong before. Are you saying they're still wrong?
Apr 8, 2015 2:10 am
When I lookout my sheet now, they're incorrect.
Apr 8, 2015 2:19 am
Is your sheet in the library?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.