Character Creation

load previous
May 9, 2015 10:12 pm
I think that description of Jado is fine. I start with my characters as more of a draft and hone them over time, so it's good that there's plenty of room for more detail later.
May 9, 2015 10:14 pm
Well I mean we're all going out to get our crystals together so presumably we knew one another at the temple.
May 10, 2015 12:18 am
Of course, but tighter connections are nice. For instance, as an effort to try and soften Aria's rash attitude they made an effort to arrange for her to spend time with Howl (that's probably what she calls the wookie, being unable to say his name). I'm sure this has led to influences on both, with Aria getting Howl into mischief and he instilling in her an appreciation for nature and meditation. Not to mention a sense of intuitive understanding between them. ?
May 10, 2015 12:30 am
Hrowlf would definitely be up for some mischief, if only because he's wilder than the average jedi and far less disciplined.
May 10, 2015 12:39 am
Sounds more like natural friend than forced companion turned friend. In that case "Howel" might be more of a nickname of endearment (and Aria regards him in a brotherly way, given that I'm sure they shared their fair amount of trouble in training)
May 10, 2015 12:41 am
Hrowlf feels that the jedi have cut themselves off from nature and the natural flow of the Force for far too long.
May 10, 2015 10:07 pm
Ok, just got the bulk of the work left (spending money and XP) but before I just wanted to know if it's worthwhile to spend XP on the Melee skill and money on a basic weapon or if I can count on getting a lightsaber soonish and so don't need to worry about that or if it's ok to buy an Ancient Sword so I can focus my XP on the skills I want (instead of dumping a few XP into Melee just so I am competent until I get my lightsaber)?
May 10, 2015 10:25 pm
Question still stands (as it affects how I spend my credits) but I've taken a stab at spending XP. I welcome advice, as I've only ever played EotE once and have never built a character.
May 10, 2015 10:52 pm
You will get a chance to make a lightsaber early on, but other weapons will be useful if you need to hide that you are a jedi.
May 10, 2015 11:02 pm
Noted!
May 11, 2015 1:21 am
Spoiler alert for the Star Wars universe: we will need to house the fact that we are jedi. I mean unless you guys want to be taken by the empire. That could be fun.
May 11, 2015 1:24 am
That's part of why I gave Jado brawling. Makes sense with his background, and for now there's no ostensible reason he'd hide the fact that he's jedi. That'll have to be learned later.

I'm more ignorant of what the trials are, than I am about post-Order 66 Star Wars. ;)
May 11, 2015 1:52 am
I went for an Ancient Sword instead of an out-of-career skill. I'm certain that's going to look strange and demand some explaining. Of course, results and actions can be explanatory ;)

As for the trials, if you can check out Star Wars: The Clones Wars Season 5, Episode 6 if you want to get a sense of what they are.
May 11, 2015 2:05 pm
So, the only bit of character creation I think I need a bit of advice on is how to use my free career skills. I noticed that we've got both modes of piloting covered, and I definitely want Vigilance and Knowledge (Xeno), the question then is do I take Survival or Ranged (Heavy). I ask because, looking at the book, heavy ranged weapons are REALLY expensive. On the other hand, I worry about the ability to survive (heh) in a blaster-infested universe when all you are able to do is get into people's faces and smack them with a stick (in a perfect world I could take Coordination, but unfortunately that's a Specialization skill and I want Athletics and Lightsaber).

Another alternative, which takes my intended progression into consideration, is to take Vigilance and *both* piloting skills. The reason is because I plan to eventually take the Force Power Enhance and work my way up to the Commit for +1 Agility power (which means getting Enhance on both piloting skills on the way). The thing is, I don't know how long before I start down that route and starting skills are more about what is needed *now* (because I can always drop a few XP into the piloting skills, they are Career skills after all).

Thoughts?
May 11, 2015 3:34 pm
I would vote for Survival. Ranged (Heavy), as you say, is expensive gear-wise, and is also obvious. You can conceal a blaster pistol, but not a blaster rifle. When the time comes when we're needing a blaster rifle I hope that we'll have some XP to spend to get the skill.

But, really, with your Agility of 4 you're the best shot out of all of us anyway, even without the skill!
May 11, 2015 5:05 pm
I don't know about taking survival with Aria's low cunning. That said, Jado has survival trained and 3 cunning, and Hrowlf has survival too. Maybe Ranged (Heavy) will come into play after we off someone and take their blaster rifle. Besides, hiding only works for so long, and a bonus to ranged will come in handy.
May 11, 2015 5:27 pm
Huh, I didn't realize you two were such Survival experts! I missed that. Ranged (Heavy) sounds great, then!

Although, rolling one Proficiency Die is better than rolling a measly Ability Die :p
Last edited May 11, 2015 5:27 pm
May 11, 2015 7:03 pm
Taking those thoughts into consideration I've kept Ranged (Heavy), because why not. That also means I'm done with the character building and am confident locking Aria in.
May 12, 2015 1:00 pm
Hrowlf has both Ranged (Heavy) and Survival. Yanno, for taking down space T-Rexes when he can't just cow them into submission.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.