Character Creation

load previous
May 9, 2015 1:13 pm
Well we already have one lightsaber fighting style adept though all the fighting styles are different. Also their fighting style is based off of Presence which isn't the Mirialan's forte. Meanwhile, I looked at the Seer as an option and I just don't get it. The talent tree looks kinda boring imo. Not a whole lot going on there flavor wise. But that's just me. Ymmv!
May 9, 2015 1:31 pm
I'll try to get the game started this evening. Candi, so long as you've got enough of an ideapersonally for your character, you should be fine to go ahead and post in it. It shouldn't have any rolling right away.

Edit: Also sage looks better than you're giving it credit Chigg. It's all about getting the jump on people because you sensed the future and getting as much force powers out as you can.
May 9, 2015 1:47 pm
Once i settle on species I should be able to back-story up and be ready to contribute, so cool!

Other species I'm open to are Togruta and Nautolan.

As for Seer, can you give me a sense of some of the defining traits and abilities?
Last edited May 9, 2015 1:47 pm
May 9, 2015 1:50 pm
Seers get talents that give bonuses to vigilance rolls and talents that let them survive in the wilderness. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the Yoda splat.
Last edited May 9, 2015 1:51 pm
May 9, 2015 1:55 pm
That does sound boring... the blurb I read mentioned precognition and I thought that would be a central, upfront, class-defining feature. Vigilance and wilderness survival sound nice, but they're not knock-my-socks-off-cool (which a lightsaber fighting style is). Guess I settled on Duelist.

How do Togruta and Nautolan match up to Duelist?
May 9, 2015 2:03 pm
You could always take the Sense force power for yanno...sensing things. I suppose you could read an increased vigilance as being able to see the future, but more in a reactive way than an active one.

Togrutans and Nautolans are both average Presence wise, same as Mirialans. The only species in the book with an increased base Presence is twi'lek.
May 9, 2015 2:06 pm
What are the species powers for the three I've shown interest in (like how the Wookie gets rage etc -- do note I've only played EotE from the character folio, so if I say something that doesn't match with character creation that's why - I'm half guessing)?
May 9, 2015 2:14 pm
Mirialans get free Discipline, Nautolans are athletic and amphibious and Togrutans are perceptive and like to help.
Last edited May 9, 2015 2:14 pm
May 9, 2015 2:32 pm
Unrelated to anything, an Ataru Striker with the melee skill and a 25 credit combat knife would be cheap AND deadly. None of the talents in the tree specify a need for a lightsaber until the 20 point tier.
May 9, 2015 2:39 pm
Hey Candi, welcome aboard.

Mirialans actually get free ranks in Cool and Discipline, and for characteristics get 3 agility and 1 cunning. (See the errata, which changed skill ranks.) Nautolan get a free rank in Athletics, and start with 3 brawn and 1 willpower. Togruta get a free rank in Perception, and provide 2 boost dice when assisting, and start with 3 cunning and 1 brawn.

I'm playing our main saber guy, so I'm the Shii-Cho Knight with a "big bruiser" stereotypical focus. I am focusing on Brawn/Cunning for my build.

Edit: Yeah the Ataru Striker plus Mirialan was a build idea I was toying with originally. I think it'd be pretty powerful, and give plenty benefit to force use too.
Last edited May 9, 2015 2:41 pm
May 9, 2015 3:18 pm
You're all selling me on the striker.
May 9, 2015 3:25 pm
I think this ability is what made me first want to play an Ataru Striker. ;)

Saber Swarm
Perform the Saber Swarm maneuver; suffer 1 strain and next Lightsaber (Agility) combat check this turn gains Linked quality equal to Force rating during check.

Linked
When firing a Linked weapon, on a successful attack, the weapon deals one hit. The wielder may spend 2 advantage to gain an additional hit, and may do so a number of times equal to the weapon’s Linked rating. Additional hits from the Linked weapon may only be applied against the original target. Each hit deals the weapon’s base damage plus the total uncanceled success scored on the check.

So yeah, easy 2 hit combos without any other specializations, but add seer and that could become 4 hit combos!
May 9, 2015 6:33 pm
In the interest of getting to game faster, I'll bite. Mirialan Ataru Striker. I'll have the book tomorrow and start on crunch. I'll make a backstory later today, and get up to speed posting with the rest of you :)
May 9, 2015 8:32 pm
Posted the background story/character name. When I get the book tomorrow I'll slam through the crunch :)
May 9, 2015 8:36 pm
Your brother had a rhyming name. Poor guy.
May 9, 2015 9:17 pm
Are we explicitly tying our characters together? If so, I expect an easy link is for Aria and Jado to be friendly rivals', given Aria's aptitude for and love of swordplay.
May 9, 2015 9:57 pm
I'd say yes, we're tying our characters together. I offered to use a Kickstarter I backed called backstory cards as inspiration. I don't think that went anywhere, yet, but Brent and Jado are the only characters to have ties at the moment (so far as memory serves). If everyone is still interested, we can work it out. Otherwise, lets just come up with ties to 2 - 3 other characters. That way everyone has a reason to be with each other.

Aria and Jado being friendly rivals would work, especially since their methods would be very different. Plus, Jado will probably take opinions along the lines of a grey Jedi down the line. So, plenty for them to debate and argue about.
May 9, 2015 9:59 pm
I'm all for tying the group together
May 9, 2015 10:01 pm
Or, at least, a reason to co-operate with and interact with each other! I'm on board for either, but I agree we should each at least have connections to 2 or 3 other characters, even if the connection is distant.
May 9, 2015 10:04 pm
I added a section to my character sheet for connections. Rust, feel free to read the little bit I wrote over and let me know if anything there contradicts your vision of Jado.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.