OOC, Metagame and Pot Pouirri

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 19, 2015 11:41 pm
This thread is for ooc discussion.
May 19, 2015 11:51 pm
Excellent! I have a question about the "awakening." Did our back stories actually happen, or is that just part of the recursion that we are from?
May 19, 2015 11:57 pm
That's a complex metaphysical question, and the answer isn't clear.
May 20, 2015 12:01 am
Arg, I hate those kinds of questions ;) Fair enough. I suppose it's up to us to determine that later, when we discover what recursions and translations are, then.
May 20, 2015 3:42 am
I'm proceeding without Hyconnor for now. I'll add him to the story once he makes a character.
May 20, 2015 3:37 pm
I'm excited to see how we're going to handle EXP and Intrusions (if they're called that in this game)!
May 20, 2015 3:46 pm
Those were come good rolls, Morrowlife, haha. We'll see what Diego does then I'll resolve the first round of action.
May 20, 2015 4:39 pm
XD They were terrible rolls man! It should certainly be interesting, at least.
May 20, 2015 9:53 pm
Diego is shouting encouragement to the others. :-)
May 20, 2015 10:24 pm
Lol szemely, wow. Nice.
May 20, 2015 10:59 pm
Originally I had planned on 3 posts per week, but we've started out daily. If this is too much, let me know.
May 20, 2015 11:37 pm
I think 3 per week is a good minimum. If we happen to exceed it, so be it
May 21, 2015 12:06 am
Quote:
He who wields the sombrero
I'm totally turning this into a Character Focus!!

Weekdays I generally won't be able to post until after 6 EDT (work always blocks the good sites, and I won't even try to post from my phone), but daily posts should work for me for the most part.
May 21, 2015 1:25 am
Oh man, my phone is probably where I'll post from half the time. My schedule is so erratic.
May 21, 2015 2:20 am
Fracking Hell! I actually spend Effort and I roll a 5. If I had the XP to spend, I'd reroll.
Also, sorry for not saying anything about using Pierce. I figured that ability would be akin to focusing on the shot rather than the reactionary shot I thought it was.
Also, sorry if I wasn't suppose to post already. Didn't think about it until I already did. In PbP games, I didn't think it would matter the order since the GM would summarize events after everyone posts anyway. If you want us to post according to initiative, ilk pay attention to that.
Last edited May 21, 2015 2:35 am
May 21, 2015 5:40 pm
Oh gosh, am I gonna turn into a werewolf?! D:

About the posting time thing, I don't think making it once a day will work. I'm doing my best to stay recent, but it's rough because I work night shifts.
May 21, 2015 5:57 pm
Yeah I don't really care about posting order as you say, I'm going to apply your posts in order and summarize.

Also, once everyone has posted I'll go forward, but I'll wait up to thtee days if someone is afk. That will be how the 3 posts per week minimum will be implemented.
May 21, 2015 6:08 pm
I like it! Just please don't get angry if I take a little longer than others... I noticed that some people post REALLY fast on this site :(
May 21, 2015 6:08 pm
I like it! Just please don't get angry if I take a little longer than others... I noticed that some people post REALLY fast on this site :(
May 22, 2015 2:30 am
Morrowlife says:
Hey! Hurry up!

:-)
May 27, 2015 4:24 pm
I haven't heard from Hyconnor in a while. I'm certainly okay with proceeding with just the five of you, although I did offer his spot to harlandski (who declined for now). Any thoughts from you guys?

P.S.: Are you worried that the werewolf waves will follow a Fibonacci sequence with ever increasing numbers?
May 27, 2015 4:57 pm
Your call as GM about who's in and who's out!
May 27, 2015 5:06 pm
Î'm worried when we enter the realm of hypergeometry...
May 27, 2015 9:25 pm
I'm good moving on. If he shows up in a bit and hasn't been replaced just slap him right back into the story.
May 27, 2015 9:42 pm
Yes, a Fibonacci sequence of werewolves would be very bad. lol
May 27, 2015 10:01 pm
I agree with szemely. And that sequence sounds terrifying.
May 27, 2015 10:09 pm
Oh, I suppose I'll chime in on the thing too. I think if hyconner shows up within the next week you can weave him in, but if he doesn't by then I'd open the slot. He's had time to reply, and unless he has messaged you with a reason of absence I don't see a point in leaving the slot filled.
May 30, 2015 11:41 am
I'm out of town for the next couple days so I won't be able to post! :(
Jun 2, 2015 12:57 pm
Hope everyone had a good weekend. Let's do this! :)
Jun 3, 2015 2:28 pm
Sorry, I'm really busy this week, too. :-(
Jun 3, 2015 2:53 pm
Don't sweat it. I'm just going to keep going, and move it along every few days. So if you can't post for some time, the action and story won't come to a halt.
Jun 26, 2015 6:54 pm
So, the game has kind of evolved into a weird spot. That is, posting pace has dropped way down, and I'm feeling that I need to railroad you guys more to keep the action up. Any thoughts?
Jun 26, 2015 7:01 pm
Railroad away!
Jun 26, 2015 7:39 pm
Would that be like a GM intrusion? Lol please lead us. I think we're kinda lost.
Jun 26, 2015 7:59 pm
I like GM intrusions and was thinking about nailing you guys with one in the saloon. That's what got me thinking about sandboxing vs railroading, haha. I'll post more horror and terror this evening.
Jun 26, 2015 8:26 pm
I'm totally good with railroading. Sandbox in a tabletop RPG is ridiculously difficult to keep focus, imo.
Jun 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Wait, does railroading mean my character might get hurt? I'll have to think on this a bit....
Jul 2, 2015 9:51 am
Diego and AJ can act before the guy swings, so we see him pulling his arm back? That sort of thing where we know he's going to swing at us? AJ doesn't like being that close when he's planning on shooting someone, but since that's what he has ready, this should be interesting.
Jul 2, 2015 2:35 pm
Yup yup, you know he's winding up. Call it experience or what have you. The eyes narrow, the jaws clenches, the muscles tighten all before the arm even starts moving.
Jul 13, 2015 10:28 pm
If I don't hear from unique_exemplar in the next few hours, the faro players will "deal you in" heh. Then it will by you and Ultrann up.
Jul 13, 2015 10:58 pm
Oh no! I am so sorry! I didn't realize you were waiting only on me. Posting in just a minute.
Aug 6, 2015 8:08 pm
Holy summer slump, batman. Gaming schedules are hard to maintain in the summer, even online apparently. I'm hoping to get you guys moving along the story arc (parable parabola?) soon, and moving into the Strange, exciting world of other worlds.
Aug 6, 2015 8:53 pm
It's weird, all of the games that I'm in are slumping all of a sudden.
Aug 6, 2015 9:09 pm
I think it's because of summer and cons and such. Holidays and summer really wreck schedules.
Aug 17, 2015 2:49 am
There may just be the two of you left.
Aug 17, 2015 8:18 am
Wow. Time really has flown. Another game thought I left and they just NPC'd me. We could do that until/if they come back.
Aug 17, 2015 10:16 am
I'm around!! Maybe distracted a bit with summer stuff but no good excuse not to post.
Aug 17, 2015 11:31 pm
Anyone want to take the initiative and explain what you do next? I'll remind you that you're wore out from a long all-day ride in the hot Texas sun, and are crashing from adrenaline in the last fight. Still, if you want to head to the Alamo straight away, it's not far. If you want to rest overnight, that can be done. Meals, any shopping, yada yada.

The Alamo awaits, and remembers.
Aug 18, 2015 12:57 am
I forgot it was the same day! Can we crash at this place? I'm assuming the bartender would be fine with that
Aug 18, 2015 8:34 am
Oops. Posted in the wrong thread.
Aug 21, 2015 2:24 pm
As a reminder, you can spend 1xp for a reroll. Or see where it goes hehe.
Aug 21, 2015 4:28 pm
I don't remember if I got any xp and I didn't record any. :/
Last edited August 21, 2015 4:28 pm
Aug 21, 2015 4:42 pm
2 xp were awarded to each of the three of you on July 26, so you have at least 2.
Aug 27, 2015 4:41 am
Sorry for the brief hiatus, just got back from a family vacation. Poor, poor Diego, what can save him now? ;-)
Sep 1, 2015 5:12 pm
I'm getting real tired of rolling a 1...
Sep 1, 2015 5:30 pm
::glare::
Don't I get xp for that?
Sep 1, 2015 6:14 pm
unique_exemplar says:
::glare::
Don't I get xp for that?
No, no xp for your poor rolling fu. Only if I do a GM intrusion or you discover something.
Sep 1, 2015 6:22 pm
Damn. Oh well. It was worth a try.
Sep 2, 2015 4:40 pm
HA! I guess I'm ok with rolling 1's on initiative if it means I keep rolling 20's on attacks. :p
Sep 2, 2015 4:57 pm
Haha, for sure. I should ask if you want the +4 damage on that crit, or some kind of special effect (like a knockdown or disarm). The +4 would finish her off, just fyi, which is also why I didn't ask last crit.
Sep 3, 2015 2:22 am
No that's fine. If a natural 20 insta-kills, I'm good with that. ☺
Sep 13, 2015 1:22 pm
Oh crap. Forgot about silver bullets. Who had them? Didn't we divide those up? Well I think AJ will be remembering this when noticing the not-dying "soldiers"
Sep 13, 2015 2:26 pm
You all had about a dozen each, and I think you've used maybe half?
Sep 17, 2015 1:58 am
So we're getting close to the BIG THING. Like many games this summer, the Strange West has slowed down quite a bit. Chokokiko and Morrowind seem to be gone. How about you guys, how are you feeling about this game?

My plans were to eventually expand from the wild west recursion into the broader Strange universe. However, maybe these pbp games are better if they're shorter? I'm content continuing on with my plans with the three of you, but if you'd prefer a finish and maybe a new game, let's be frank about that.
Sep 17, 2015 2:15 am
It's been my understanding that pbp games are shorter (like one shots?) I'm currently playing in 3 games and it feels like I've reached my limit. I'd like to continue playing this game with you all for however much content you have ready
Sep 17, 2015 2:15 am
Would be nice to actually finish a game on here. I'd be for wrapping this up and moving on to a new one. Diego's not really doing it for me anyway.

(It's funny how some characters seem like they would be a blast when you create them, but once you start playing you just can't develop them in any meaningful way).
Last edited September 17, 2015 2:16 am
Sep 17, 2015 2:56 am
I'm sorry. Are there 2 "soldiers" left? I'm a bit confused
Sep 17, 2015 3:12 am
Yes, 2 unconscious soldiers. Eli coup-de-gras-ed the other 2.
Sep 17, 2015 3:20 am
Ah, I see. I suppose "unconscious" isn't "defeated"
Sep 19, 2015 1:14 pm
BTW: I've been meaning to post this, but +1 xp to Diego and Eli for using your first cyphers. Diego's bomb back in that store room, and Eli's super effective wall of unconsciousness.
Sep 24, 2015 5:33 pm
I forgot to chime in on your Sept 16 discussion about pbp's and general flow. Personally I do think that games in this format have to be short or move ahead fast, otherwise people lose interest. Sometimes the GM needs to push the story ahead if the players are quiet, and that can wake us up. Anyway, Wild West or other recursions, I'm up for whatever. One more XP and I'll be able to take an advance! Excited about that.
Sep 24, 2015 6:33 pm
I would like to keep going after the BIG THING that I'm about to describe to Eli. However, the opportunity will be extended to Diego to swap characters. I get it when characters don't work out the way you thought they might.

As an aside, as we expand to other recursion in The Strange network, your focus will change to match the next recursion (you will get to choose from a list). Your physical appearance may even change.
Sep 24, 2015 9:24 pm
Qralloq says:
However, the opportunity will be extended to Diego to swap characters.
Actually, moving to a different recursion may be all I need to get something from him!
Sep 24, 2015 9:37 pm
This sounds kinda fun. What part of our characters change when translating (right term?) to different recursions?
Sep 24, 2015 9:41 pm
Diego is going to recurse into a sassy black woman that don't need no man! (or not)
Sep 24, 2015 9:42 pm
HA! Oh that'll be fun.
Also, was the 5 might damage to everyone then? I saw it posted twice.
Last edited September 24, 2015 9:43 pm
Sep 24, 2015 10:02 pm
Yup, translating is the right word. Your focus changes, and some skills. So Eli would still be a "sharp eyed vector" but the "who collects bounties" would become something more appropriate, like "who slays dragons". You generally get some local knowledge as well so you know how stuff works.
Sep 24, 2015 10:07 pm
Ah, cool. I look forward to that!
Oct 3, 2015 5:51 pm
Sorry for the text dump, just a little bit of exposition here... Figured I'd post some lengthy posts just to get through it.
Oct 3, 2015 6:28 pm
It's all good. Nice to know done backstory. We're we supposed to find something for the old lady or did I read it wrong?
Oct 3, 2015 6:29 pm
Nevermind. Re-read it. Portal. Gotcha.
Oct 8, 2015 12:09 am
Was that too much, did I lose you?
Oct 8, 2015 12:17 am
LOL Uh, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not sure where to go with this...
Oct 8, 2015 12:33 am
My intention is that your characters now know how to Translate. So, you can go through the portal and explore, Translating to Tombstone Station when it suits you, or wreck the portal and go elsewhere.
Oct 8, 2015 12:59 am
Ah, I see. Well if Tombstone Station is the place we're wanting to go, we can get there from "The Alamo", right? AJ does not want to through that portal.
Last edited October 8, 2015 10:54 am
Oct 8, 2015 10:53 am
To borrow from a "western" movie quote, "What's wrong, dude, you yellow?! That's what I think, you yellow belly." :-)
Oct 8, 2015 10:54 am
"Call me what you will, but I'm no fool!"
Oct 16, 2015 4:53 am
I'm kinda behind here, but Ill get the Tombstone Station stuff on track this weekend. Have a look at the entry in the thread Recursions... Switching to a new recursion allows (sometimes requires) you to change your focus. I skipped over that during the translation training montage, but we should get into it here.

Also, make a note of your original focus in your character sheet for the Rio Grande recursion - if you go back there, that's the one you would have.
Oct 16, 2015 5:24 am
Makes sense. I figured as we translated somewhere else we would be told about and given the options of new focuses.
Oct 19, 2015 4:37 am
We need too deal with some game mechanics issues before we get into Tombstone Station. Namely, you need to choose a new focus for each of your characters. There are some sample ones listed in the Recursion thread for Tombstone Station, but any from the Mad Science group should work. Here is a semi complete list:

Adapts to Any Environment* (D)
Aspires to Be Posthuman
Builds Robots
Controls Nanomachines
Fights Aliens
Fires a Blaster
Grows to Towering Heights
Infiltrates*
Integrates Weaponry*
Is a Cyborg
Metamorphosizes*
Pilots Starcraft
Processes Information*
Projects Energy
Regenerates Tissue*
Rejuvenates the Infirm
Resides in Silicon
Sculpts Light
Spawns*
Wears an Iron Suit

*foci marked with am asterisk are in the Core rulebook

If you don't have the rulebook with a particular foci described in it, I can probably copy some of the text for you.

Lastly, Diego's is draggable if you want to keep that one.
Oct 19, 2015 11:03 am
If those with * are in the core rulebook, where are the others from?
Oct 19, 2015 1:11 pm
I think that the others are from In Translation, which is where I got the list from.
Oct 19, 2015 1:26 pm
Well I don't have anything for The Strange (just Numenera). "Sculpts Light" sounds interesting. "Fires a Blaster" seems to stay close to who AJ already is. Care to give me a taste of what those are?
Oct 19, 2015 1:53 pm
Fires a Blaster
Equipment: Clothing appropriate to your recursion (in Ruk, a bodysuit and an umbilical), slicksuit, light armor, a blaster of your choice (light, medium, or heavy), and an account with 50 bits.
Tier 1: Practiced With Blasters. You are practiced with using blasters and suffer no penalty when using one. If you’re already
practiced with using blasters, you instead deal 1 additional point of damage with them. Enabler
Oct 19, 2015 1:58 pm
Sculpts Light

Equipment: Clothing appropriate to your recursion (in Ruk, a bodysuit and an umbilical; in a Supers recursion, a suit and a utility belt) and an account with 70 bits.
Minor Effect Suggestion: Your construct blazes with extra light intensity, partly blinding your target on its next turn, which modifies any task it attempts by one step to its detriment.
Major Effect Suggestion: Make an immediate extra attack with your Hard Light Limb ability.
Tier 1: Hard Light Limb (3 Intellect points). You can produce an additional arm, either connected to your body or floating freely in space up to a long distance away. You can make it look like your normal arm, like the limb of a creature you’ve seen or encountered, like a simple geometric grasping surface, or like another shape you and your GM agree upon. In all cases, the arm is composed of translucent light of your chosen color. It acts as you direct, floating in the air. Directing the arm is an action. Without a command, the arm does nothing. It can move a long distance in a round, but it never moves farther than long range away from you. The arm’s hand can grab, move, and carry things. The arm can also attack. Once created, the arm lasts for ten minutes. Action to create; action to direct.
Oct 19, 2015 3:07 pm
Hmm, doesn't seem very impressive. What is "Integrates Weaponry"?
Oct 19, 2015 3:34 pm
Integrates Weaponry means that you are part cyborg and can attach a weapon to your arm (in place of your hand) and such a weapon does +1 damage. This could be a melee weapon or even a heavy gun.
Oct 19, 2015 3:58 pm
Interesting. Would I be able to switch attachments between weapon and hand?
Oct 19, 2015 4:05 pm
Yes, it takes one action to integrate or remove a weapon.
Oct 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Cool. I'll go for that.
Oct 19, 2015 5:07 pm
I will go with Fights Aliens!

Do we have to create a 2nd character sheet to reflect our translation? I can't find anything in the options of the character sheet function to do it in a simple manner.
Last edited October 19, 2015 5:10 pm
Oct 19, 2015 6:09 pm
I'd just put it in Notes - we could petition Keleth to alter the char sheet to add some recursion-specific flags for things, but we'd need a good idea of what we wanted it to look like first, me thinks.
Oct 19, 2015 9:46 pm
Diego will drag his old one along....
Oct 19, 2015 9:47 pm
Oh wow, are we going to run into River?? :-)
Last edited October 19, 2015 9:47 pm
Oct 19, 2015 10:20 pm
Two by two, hands of blue...
Oct 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Yet another system I have that remains unplayed.
Oct 19, 2015 11:08 pm
I've played Supernatural, which I think uses the same system. It was a good system, IMHO.
Oct 19, 2015 11:11 pm
My fellow recursors: I just wanted to make sure we didn't leave any cyphers behind. Who has claimed the following:

Duster -Eli
Sniper module - Eli
1 grenade - Eli
Book on Chicago wizard - Eli
30 rounds of ammo - ?
Guns - ?
Radiation Spike (lvl 9, crystal shard) - ?
Melt all (lvl 9 glass bottle with eyedropper and silver liquid) - ?
Glue lvl 6 - ?
Mind meld (lvl 2, sticky patch) - ?
Oct 19, 2015 11:41 pm
I took one of the machine-pistols and 60 rounds of ammo and a grenade.
Oct 20, 2015 12:13 am
I suppose AJ will take the radiation spike and melt all
Oct 21, 2015 1:07 am
You will also need to decide on your form and appearance. I suggest human or cyborg. This will be a cosmetic change, i.e., no stat adjustment. Think Firefly, Babylon 5, Alien: Resurrection, etc.
Oct 21, 2015 1:13 am
Ah, ok. Well I'm going to stay human. With Integrates Weaponry, I'd like that to be the only mechanical parts of AJ.
Oct 21, 2015 1:52 am
How about you each post in the game thread as you discover what look like. Then we'll get the story going.
Oct 21, 2015 9:16 pm
My new sombrero.

http://redshirtknitting.com/images/misc/jaynehat2.jpg
Oct 26, 2015 6:53 pm
We've had a slow period this last little bit. PbP games seem to suffer greatly from changes in momentum. I'd like to propose a five or six week hiatus. The reason is that I am going to participate in NaNoWriMo this November, which has a bit of a time commitment. Perhaps if we reconvene in early December, we can regain some momentum.

Any thoughts on taking an official break?
Oct 26, 2015 9:42 pm
A break would be fine - just jump right back in whenever you're ready.
Oct 26, 2015 11:17 pm
No problem! Enjoy NaNoWriMo and see you in December!
Oct 26, 2015 11:26 pm
Seems like good timing. I'm about to start a new job next week. Hope your writing goes well! :)
Oct 27, 2015 12:05 am
Thanks! I've been preparing for a month or so, with research and such, so hopefully I get farther than last year.
Dec 5, 2015 2:12 pm
NaNoWriMo went well, hit my 50K target. Are we ready to get back into the black?
Dec 5, 2015 2:22 pm
Ready when you are!
Dec 7, 2015 5:43 pm
Cool cool cool. I'll post tonight and get us going again.
Dec 11, 2015 1:56 am
I posted that there are two slots open in this game. While I'm fine with running it for the three of you, a bunch of people seem to be interested in Numenera.
Dec 15, 2015 3:20 am
Would Jeapa understand recursions?
Dec 15, 2015 3:35 am
Yes, everyone on TS would.
Dec 24, 2015 12:56 am
I just accepted Remnant as a fourth player. We'll work out a character but in the meantime, let's keep moving.

Remnant, let me know if you have any questions about character creation. Have a look through some of the sub-forums. The PCs are currently in a recursion called Tombstone Station, a Firefly-esque sci fi western kinda place.
Dec 24, 2015 11:44 am
Mornin ' all, just curious what everyone had, is there a vector, spinner, and paradox already? I built a character that might fit but wasn't sure. A Native American, Floats on Thunder a Sharp-Eyed Paradox who Lives in the Wilderness. Let me know if I should search through my books for a foci if this recursion needs to be from a specific set.
Dec 24, 2015 12:08 pm
I'm a vector, but I always say play what you want to play. Your focus is fine for traditional earth but you'll need something from mad science right now
Dec 24, 2015 2:14 pm
We have two vectors and a spinner at the moment, so a paradox would be great. Check the thread "Recursions" for info on Tombstone Station, and if Lives in the Wilderness isn't Draggable, then you'll also have to choose a second one that replaces LitW when you're on TS.
Dec 24, 2015 2:27 pm
Here's a link to a few pages earlier in this thread where I listed a bunch of suitable foci. Also read a bit earlier than that in the thread for the discussion we had on how translating works when you need to switch out your foci.
Dec 24, 2015 5:22 pm
I think I'll go with Adapts to any Environment since it seems the most likely to somewhat fit with the concept. Let me know if you need anything to work me into the story from me.
Last edited December 24, 2015 5:27 pm
Dec 24, 2015 5:57 pm
Sounds perfect. If you want to submit the character, I'll have a quick look and then okay it. Maybe also PM me with any ideas on what would draw your character to Tombstone Station - was it your idea, did you follow someone, are you looking for something, etc.
Dec 24, 2015 7:59 pm
Okay, remnant is in! As the fourth person to accompany Jeapa from the restaurant, he trailed behind the others, but roll initiative!
Dec 30, 2015 2:04 pm
On a side note I'm having a lot of fun so far in the game.
Dec 30, 2015 7:12 pm
Remnant says:
On a side note I'm having a lot of fun so far in the game.
Awesome to hear, I'm having fun, too.
Jan 3, 2016 7:52 pm
Man... Can I be called Floats on 18 for the rest of this scene? I hope so. For the minor effect can I have seen a switch that would improve the chance of people shooting maybe and yell out where it is or could I kick the canister out of blast distance for the encounter?
Jan 6, 2016 9:38 pm
I figure we're at an interlude and it's going to go narrative. I'll probably look for a medical kit when we get where we're going to help patch people up (I think I can maybe pull some things from my bag and chew it up and spit it out on their injuries but some don't find that 'PC'), it's a Task level per points you would like to attempt to heal correct? (I.e. Heal Task (5) you need a 15 on a d20 if you have no skills, abilities, assets, assistance to give a target 5 points back into their pools to split up, you'd need less if you had any of those or a combo of some of them.)
Jan 7, 2016 4:19 am
I'll give you all a chance to Heal and recover in a little bit... unless there is more boom!!?? Stay tuned.
Jan 11, 2016 6:26 pm
I feel like I'm just asking you to "Click OK to continue" a bunch of times in a row, haha.
Jan 11, 2016 6:47 pm
Sorry I've been out of town for a couple days and meant to write down some questions. Will try to do it tonight
Jan 12, 2016 12:41 pm
And | don't have a good excuse for not keeping up. Just so damn busy.
Jan 26, 2016 2:49 am
How close are T2-4 together? Diego has a grenade that he's itching to use...
Jan 26, 2016 3:22 am
You can get two of them for sure, and feel free to describe how you might wreck terrain, so as to hinder the other one.
Feb 3, 2016 12:54 pm
Technical question since it's my turn versus an OoC Discussion back and forth in the game thread, can I stop/void/contaminate a translation gate opening? As a Paradox I have an understanding of how they work (Paradox have an enabler for opening Translation gates) and I have training in The Strange. Since I know how to open gates would I know how to make reverse or counter an opening attempt? I know this is a bit off the wall and the party hasn't done a lot of Translation jumping but 'one must dance through the Dream worlds if one has the Spark within them, they are chosen'.
Feb 3, 2016 2:19 pm
That's a good question. Typically, the ruleset implies that characters don't witness gates opening, they just are something you might come across.

This type of gate is different than Translating that characters can perform. A gate is open all the time, while characters do something that is more like teleportation, or folding themselves through 'space'. That is, you don't open a gate and go through it, but instead, meditate until suddenly you are somewhere else without having moved.

In this case, I may have been too subtle, but you're pretty sure the gate is operated by the aliens and their system terminal below.
Feb 3, 2016 2:48 pm
Oh yeah, my bad (It's been a minute since I've played last). Thinking of Recursion Keys made me think of doors versus how it does work with a key meaning you 'pop' in at a specific location.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.