Game's Discussion

load previous
Jul 2, 2015 5:57 pm
harlandski says:
Um, doesn't Mandoric get a major effect for rolling a natural 20 for initiative? :-)
I believe he gets the points spent on effort back as well, correct?
Jul 2, 2015 5:59 pm
szemely says:
harlandski says:
Um, doesn't Mandoric get a major effect for rolling a natural 20 for initiative? :-)
I believe he gets the points spent on effort back as well, correct?
It was my mistake, I messed Lucas and Mandoric. Mandoric gets 2 actions, not Lucas, Lucas made two actions last turn. (and contributed to delay of guardian reaction)
Jul 2, 2015 6:12 pm
Great - can I retroactively add effort to that attack to do damage, or do I have to declare that I'm doing that before I attack? If I can, I will!

Also is that Vocal Changer cypher still in operation, and can I use it for other voices, or only for broken hounds?
Jul 2, 2015 6:15 pm
harlandski says:
Great - can I retroactively add effort to that attack to do damage, or do I have to declare that I'm doing that before I attack? If I can, I will!

Also is that Vocal Changer cypher still in operation, and can I use it for other voices, or only for broken hounds?
The Vocal Changer wont do any effect, that tells to Mandoric his common sence. They are guardians which have only purpose - to guard in all costs. They are constructs, and contructs normally emotionless, self-less and dedicated to the task they were created for.

No, sorry, but the rule do not allow that. Now when Mandoric realized that his precise hits wont do much effect, he could adjust his combat tacticts. But not before he actually tested it, and not without guessing that prior to fight start.
Jul 2, 2015 6:17 pm
Ok, but I guess that if I attack and say I'm going to use effort for damage but then miss, I don't use the effort?
Jul 2, 2015 6:20 pm
harlandski says:
Ok, but I guess that if I attack and say I'm going to use effort for damage but then miss, I don't use the effort?
Yes. The rules says - you declare effort before the action. And if you used effort for damage it could not be readjusted.
If you misplace it - thats it, it is gone. You can not assign effort for damage and readjust it for attack after the roll is done and vice versa. Those are two separate efforts, which must be declared before the action. Those are Numenera rules . :)

Perhaps Mandoric could find other ways to be helpful in the fight. Or will need to use effort constanly, draining his own physical resources, in order to be able to do any damage.
Jul 2, 2015 6:41 pm
BlackStork says:
Perhaps Mandoric could find other ways to be helpful in the fight. Or will need to use effort constanly, draining his own physical resources, in order to be able to do any damage.
Oh sure, Mandoric will adopt a different strategy soon, but it's fun to play the glaive when the opportunity presents itself! :-)
Jul 6, 2015 6:07 am
Seems that Schauer (Jax) is MIA.
I'll wait some (12h from Gargoyle last post) and will skip his turn, moving his character by myself.
Jul 6, 2015 6:14 pm
Quote:
He was concentrated on predicting whip's trajectory and failed to perform his attack, missing the guardian's body
Sorry, I wasn't attacking. I was trying to draw the attack as on page 101 of the corebook:
Quote:
Draw the Attack: When an NPC attacks a character, another PC can prominently present herself, shout taunts, and move to try to get the foe to attack her instead. In most cases, this action succeeds without a roll—the opponent attacks the prominent PC instead of her companions. In other cases, such as with intelligent or determined foes, the prominent character must succeed at an Intellect action to draw the attack. If that Intellect action is successful, the difficulty of the prominent character’s defense tasks is modified by one step to her detriment.
Two characters attempting to draw an attack at the same time cancel each other out.
If it requires no roll, up to you or how intelligent they are, I succeed at getting them to attack me. If it does require a roll then I most likely failed.
Jul 6, 2015 7:02 pm
themightykobold says:
Quote:
He was concentrated on predicting whip's trajectory and failed to perform his attack, missing the guardian's body
Sorry, I wasn't attacking. I was trying to draw the attack as on page 101 of the corebook:
Quote:
Draw the Attack: When an NPC attacks a character, another PC can prominently present herself, shout taunts, and move to try to get the foe to attack her instead. In most cases, this action succeeds without a roll—the opponent attacks the prominent PC instead of her companions. In other cases, such as with intelligent or determined foes, the prominent character must succeed at an Intellect action to draw the attack. If that Intellect action is successful, the difficulty of the prominent character’s defense tasks is modified by one step to her detriment.
Two characters attempting to draw an attack at the same time cancel each other out.
If it requires no roll, up to you or how intelligent they are, I succeed at getting them to attack me. If it does require a roll then I most likely failed.
oh sorry , i understood.
the thing that Mastrigophores VERY intelligent (as/more than humans) (as they appear in the corebook) and extremely determined, ones that not easily distracted from their target/task , so i guess roll of 3 is undoubtedly fail.
Jul 6, 2015 7:12 pm
also corrected Lucas turn results
Jul 7, 2015 6:17 pm
BlackStork says:
Mandoric still need to do his defence action, because he been attacked by same guardian in same time, and attack been performed.
The attacker is out of the game after that, though.
Really? As I understand it, we won initiative, so Zinobia killed the guardian before it had time to attack Mandoric another time?

Edit: yeah, I just checked the Game Thread. Zinobia got 17 initiative and Mandoric 20, so I'm pretty sure we act before the guardians each time.
Last edited July 7, 2015 6:25 pm
Jul 7, 2015 6:32 pm
This time all is correct and Mandoric needs to roll defence with +1 diff penalty.

The turn order was just readjusted after initiative was rolled, and all extra turns (mandoric got 2!!) from initiative were made before the battle started, giving certain edge to the party.

But now the attack on Mandoric was done before the next turn - new turn when Zinobia finishes the guardian.
First party does turn A
then guardians did turn A (already stunned mandoric was attacked once more)
Then Zinobia did turn B and killed the guardian
Mandoric was attacked on turn A, while guardian was killed on turn B. Mandoric needs to roll defence related to turn which is previous to one when guardian is killed
Mandoric got hit and stunned > New attack > Mandoric Defends > Zinobia NEW turn commence

This means technically the GM post before zinobias post is Guardian move, related to the turn which happened before the new one started wehn Zinobia made his attack. And the Mandoric defence is related to that "older" turn, as being result of guardian attack, which came after the party attack.
Zinobias turn is completely new move, and it happends seconds before attack was made.

I do not follow party members turn move order according to initiative - i just made extra turns first, then assuming that guardians are last to move, doing turns in sequence of party attack > guardians > party defence > party attack > guardians and so on

If this messes things up i could wait with Zinobia turns to prevent confusion
Jul 8, 2015 5:03 am
OK, got it. Turns and rounds are pretty confusing with PbP!
Jul 10, 2015 9:30 pm
Sorry for the delay, didn't realize I was up. If it's been a while that you're all waiting on me, feel free to send a message.
Jul 11, 2015 6:35 am
Ok, :)
Cheers
Jul 12, 2015 6:38 am
Jax went MIA. Long time MIA.
The Mastigophores focusing him, and his character will play heroic role in this battle, probably falling dead, but saving other team-mates from having serious injuries in this "boss level fight" of the act 1 which could make party more powerful for future journey. Heroic sacrifice.

If Schauer will be back after Jax's death and will desire to play dedicately - Another character could be created for him in start of Act 2 and he will be able to join the party and game once more.

Of course if Schauer will be back before Jax falls as brave protector hero, and JAx still will be breathing, and will desire to continue with dedication then Jax will remain alive. You can not change fortune, puprose and fate. They change you. (At least in Numenera ;) :P)
Jul 12, 2015 6:46 am
How far away is Ronna from the fighting?
Jul 12, 2015 7:20 am
Gargoyle says:
How far away is Ronna from the fighting?
Short range. Will take 1 turn of movement to get into immidiate.
Guardians were able to move and attack in one turn because they are MUCH faster than humans with their linear movement capabilities

She can attack with ranged from there though.

Rest of party are in immidiate distance from the Mastigophores
Jul 13, 2015 4:05 pm
BlackStork says:

Used copperative attack bonus (it didnt changed a thing this turn though).
I meant it to count for last turn, as that was the turn Zinobia attacked with an 11 - +1 would have brought it to 12. I know it is kind of 'cheating', but on the other hand maybe we can be flexible about the exact order of events, considering the nature of Pbp?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.