Chapter 6: Mantol-Derith

load previous
Sep 3, 2017 2:10 am
Meriele's only reply to Hunter is to draw her bow and slide an arrow from behind her shoulder. She calmly nocks the arrow and takes careful aim at one of the Duergar. As she fires, the arrow glows white and leaves a subtle after-image in its wake.

When her attack hits home, she takes aim at a new target. Before draw her arrow, she makes a quick, magical gesture towards it, and then lines up her shot. This arrow glows with a sickening, yellow energy.
[ +- ] Mind-Scrambling Arrow
OOC:
If it's not dead, it has to pass a DC 14 Wis Save. If it fails, I'm choosing Elfog for the beneficial effects of the arrow.

Also, for clarification's sake, I used Colossus Slayer on the first attack.
Last edited September 3, 2017 2:22 am

Rolls

Attack 1 vs Duergar 12 - (1d20+11, 1d20+11, 2d8+6)

1d20+11 : (20) + 11 = 31

1d20+11 : (17) + 11 = 28

2d8+6 : (57) + 6 = 18

Crit damage - (2d8)

(88) = 16

Mind-Scrambling Arrow (if hit) vs. Duergar 10 w/ Sharpshooter feat and Hunter's Mark - (1d20+6, 1d20+6, 1d8+16, 3d6)

1d20+6 : (20) + 6 = 26

1d20+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

1d8+16 : (1) + 16 = 17

3d6 : (526) = 13

Another crit? - (1d8, 3d6)

1d8 : (5) = 5

3d6 : (346) = 13

Sep 4, 2017 7:45 pm
Mai'ngor's war dance has built up a frenzy as he tries to finish off the two remaining duergar at the door. The nimble tikbalang goes into a twising dive, his weapons sweeping under him, parallel to the ground, like twin scythes aimed just above the knee.
[ +- ] Combat Stats
Last edited September 4, 2017 7:48 pm

Rolls

Attack #1: Sinag - (1d20+10, 1d8+9)

1d20+10 : (20) + 10 = 30

1d8+9 : (3) + 9 = 12

Crit damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Bonus: +1 kris - (1d20+9, 1d6+8)

1d20+9 : (12) + 9 = 21

1d6+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

Attack #2: Sinag - (1d20+10, 1d8+9)

1d20+10 : (1) + 10 = 11

1d8+9 : (2) + 9 = 11

Sep 4, 2017 8:59 pm
I swoop down and attempt to grab the healthiest looking of the remaining duergar. If I'm able to get a good group in it, I will attempt to drop it from as far up as possible, or if that fails drop it closer to Mai'ngor.

Rolls

Strength Check? - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Sep 5, 2017 12:57 pm
Round Three: Meriele, Melpo, Xeliss, and Mai'ngor
Melpomene releases her focus on the spell of slowing that she'd cast earlier and directs her magical energy at D10. He begins to giggle, but quickly quells the urge before it can become overpowering.

Meriele's first arrow catches D12 right in the throat, sending the duergar to his knees and then to the floor, grasping his torn throat.

He magically imbued arrow strikes D10 in chest, blasting through his armor and stopping with it's point sticking out of its back. It, too, falls to the ground, dead.

Mai'ngor's light-forged blade catches the first duergar at the knee, sending him to the ground, where his head strikes a rock and he stops moving. His kris catches the next foe in the thigh, which the duergar shrugs off.

The last enemy howls in anger and goes to swing his pick at the tikbalang's exposed flank, but he is suddenly snatched up by a HUGE eagle which flies up into the air. When it gets high, it drops the duergar, who briefly screams before coming to a stop with a loud crunch.

Enemies
Door
Duergar 1: DEAD
Duergar 2: DEAD
Duergar 3: DEAD
Duergar 4: DEAD
Duergar 5: DEAD

Left Grove
Duergar 6: DEAD
Duergar 7: DEAD
Duergar 8: DEAD
Duergar 9: DEAD

Right Grove
Duergar 10: DEAD
Duergar 11: DEAD
Duergar 12: DEAD
Duergar 13: DEAD
OOC:
Combat over
Sep 5, 2017 4:28 pm
"Feel better?" Hunter asks of Mai'ngor as she steps past the tikbalang on her way to the stone double doors. Taking care not to step in or slip upon the gore, she reaches out with her staff to politely knock upon the entrance.
Sep 5, 2017 4:38 pm
His battle frenzy having subsided, Mai'ngor raises an eyebrow at Hunter's question. He sends his thoughts to his light-forged kris as he surveys his handiwork.

"What did she mean, Sinag? Was it unjust to stamp out these vile creatures? Shouldn't we even now strike down the drow and the fiend spawn?"
Sep 5, 2017 5:29 pm
Naatkinson sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Hunter knocks on the large door, which now has several large chunks missing. A voice calls out, "Who goes there?"
Sep 5, 2017 5:46 pm
"Hunter Galfyne," answers the sorcerer, "here with delegates from Gauntlgrym and representatives of the Zhentarim. I apologize if you're closed, but your welcome mat is underneath a few bodies and debris.

"May we talk? Preferably inside?"
Sep 5, 2017 5:55 pm
There is a brief pause, and then the doors open. The room within is huge, with a ceiling that is 100 feet high. Niches line the walls; some of these contain goods, while some appear to be homes. The floors are organized, but still cluttered by hundreds of boxes of goods that are being prepared for sale. Standing in front of the door is a single svirfneblin female. She bows as you enter, "Gabble Dripskillet, at your service. I offer you our thanks for stopping those uncultured invaders!"
Sep 5, 2017 7:44 pm
"Hm, yes," says Hunter, in a tone that reserves judgment on what could be considered 'culture.' She crosses the threshold and waits to the side while the others enter. "I'm sure it's all a terrible misunderstanding and you're eager to see it resolved peacefully?"
Sep 5, 2017 8:18 pm
Mai'ngor pauses at the door. He is bathed in blood, and his swords are still drawn. He addresses the svirfneblin, "Are you expecting any more attacks? Perhaps some of us should stand guard..."
Sep 5, 2017 10:28 pm
Taking a few minutes to wind down, Elfog doesn't immediately follow Hunter into the room, choosing to remain just outside the door where he works on cleaning the blood and Duergar hair from his weapon.

"Don't mind starting a tussle meself, once in a while" Elfog says, standing next to Mai'ngor at the door "but that was damned near reckless."
Sep 5, 2017 10:55 pm
"These were murderers. And besides, there’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest. And what greater glory is there than battle?"
Sep 5, 2017 11:17 pm
"Ain't saying they didn't get what they had coming, and I'd be lying to say I didn't have myself a bit of fun as well" Elfog says, flicking the last bit of gore from his axe. "I just don't want to see any of the others getting hurt trying to pull you or me from trouble of our own making."

Satisfied that Tolvihar is as clean as it's going to get, he gives the axe a quarter turn, and playfully smacks Mai'ngor in the thigh with the flat of his blade.

"We're all ready to die to protect our friends, but we're even more eager not to let it get to that point."
Sep 5, 2017 11:49 pm
Poe follows Hunter inside, feeling safer around the sorcerer than her more bloodthirsty friends.
Sep 6, 2017 4:22 am
Meriele waits outside by Mai'ngor and Elfog. She takes a moment, checking those Duergar with no visible mortal wounds for any sign of life.
Sep 6, 2017 3:22 pm
"Peacefully? Oh my, yes!" Gabble says enthusiastically, "Do you think that you can make it happen?"

Meriele sees that two of the duergar as still breathing, though very shallowly.

The rest of the expedition forms a perimeter outside, to prevent any further attacks.
Sep 6, 2017 4:33 pm
"Well, I don't know," Hunter states. "It would help if you could provide some insight as to what's going on?"

She looks Poe beside her, and nods gratefully for the added presence during the recounting of events. Good to have someone else with an ear for stories to listen to the svirfneblin side of the story. Hunter calls to mind the context of Mantol-Derith's politics and the duergar's claim, for comparison.
Sep 6, 2017 8:22 pm
Gabble nods and begins explaining, "A duergar merchant by the name of Krimgol accused my friend Yantha of stealing a gem from him. When Yantha denied it, Krimgol and his boys busted in when we weren't prepared and grabbed him. I guess they couldn't find the gem on Yantha, so they came back just now to ransack the place. Thank goodness you came along when you did!"
Sep 6, 2017 11:01 pm
"And where is Yantha now?" Hunter asks. "Still with Krimgol?"
load next

Thread locked