Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm
Bleary-eyed, Felor briefly ponders the lone figure on the heap of ashes, but dismisses them as a reveller on their way home. Curious outfit, though. All white. Not the outfit of one of the townsfolk.

I'm ready to go
Last edited October 30, 2017 4:36 pm
Oct 30, 2017 5:16 pm
The fifth and sixth days of travel pass without incident. The weather is mild, the campsites unremarkable, the people the party passes on the road forgettable. But here the forest encroaches very close to the side of the river the party is traveling along, and early in the morning on the seventh day of travel, the party comes to a large wooden sign posted alongside the road:

BEWARE THE BLACK BEAST OF THE WOOD!
NINE NOW HAVE BEEN TAKEN
WE CAN NOT FORAGE NOR HUNT
THE LORDS IN THER HIGH PLACES DO NOTHING
THE GODS DO NOTHING
DO NOT ENTER THE WOOD!

On the lower margin of the sign, smaller words are written, by a different hand:

KNOW THAT THE BLACK BEAST IS YOUR PUNISHMENT FOR ABANDONING THE OLD GODS OF BLOAD AND MAKING SACRIFICE INSTEAD TO THE WICKED FOREIGN GODS OF HAZARD. REPENT FOOLS OR MAY THE BLACK BEAST TAKE YOU ALL.
Oct 31, 2017 5:13 am
"Such a colorful welcome," Zangua says dryly.
Oct 31, 2017 9:13 am
"Foreign gods! If a god is a god, she is a god everywhere, surely," says Felor, shaking his head. "It's probably just a really big cat, anyway. It's always just a really big cat."
Oct 31, 2017 1:54 pm
"Is anyone inclined to go a-questing? Perhaps we can get some advantage out of it - information or loyalty or even just gold. These horses weren't cheap, after all."
Oct 31, 2017 4:27 pm
"And where is this place that posts such warnings?" says Zangua, looking ahead down the road for any hint of a settlement.
Oct 31, 2017 4:30 pm
The next village is about two miles upriver.
Nov 1, 2017 3:50 pm
OOC:
I'm guessing this is our quickest path back to Hazard?
"I'm always intrigued to see what's behind such warnings," Domarc says. "And I'll wager with my holy friend a couple of gold coins that it won't be a cat this time, just to keep it interesting. But I do wonder - does not the pointed hat crew seek to connect with an older god?"
Nov 2, 2017 3:52 pm
The river road is your quickest way to Hazard, yes.
Nov 2, 2017 8:24 pm
Leth eyes the second paragraph.
"Yeah, this last bit here seems likely to have been added by someone affiliated with or sympathetic to the crown gang." (Side note: did we ever find out if the 6PC has, like, an official name that they or others call themselves?) Leth says. "If I'm remembering correctly, their whole shtick is about wanting to raise some dead deity or something. I agree with Felor; I don't think it likely that this beast actually has anything to do with The Crown or their god... but it may be worth investigating. Surely it wouldn't take us too long to hunt down a beast? Besides, with all the negativity around our group, it may be good to do a favor for these people. Give them a reason to like us a little more; we don't really have many friends at the moment." He concludes.
OOC:
Honestly, I feel like we need a separate thread just for note-taking. The slow moving nature of play by post tends to mean I forget plot points and objectives that happened a while back. It might be a good idea to have a "what we've learned so far" thread so we can refresh ourselves if we the players forget something that our characters probably wouldn't.
Last edited November 2, 2017 8:24 pm
Nov 2, 2017 8:27 pm
"I agree," Domarc says. "And the beast appears to lie in our road, anyways - so we either deal with or we don't get to carry on being heroes."
OOC:
I know we were pulling together some notes in one or both of the outside play threads (About Bload/Character Creation)...but yeah, we should maybe try to collect everything together somehow. It's a tough job, but if we can figure out where to put it all, maybe we can all chip in?
Last edited November 2, 2017 8:29 pm
Nov 2, 2017 8:35 pm
I made a plot notes thread!

I believe, at one point, somebody affiliated with the 6PC referred to themselves as "The Servants of the Six-Pronged Crown." Anyway, that is their full name that they use for themselves.
Nov 6, 2017 4:02 pm
"Let's head for the village upstream and ask about the Beast."
Nov 6, 2017 5:13 pm
Zangua nods. He nudges his horse forward, mindful of the road and their surroundings.
Nov 6, 2017 5:24 pm
The party advances to the village, a long strip of tall wooden houses on the river side of the road with some vegetable farms and sheep pasture on a clearing on the other side. On a hillock at the northwest end of the village sits a squat pentagonal house of worship. At the center of the row of houses is a large inn and tavern; the sign hanging above its door depicts a trout with an apple in its belly. A large group of traders appears to be leaving the inn just now, packing up horse-drawn wagons and bickering with the innkeeper over the settlement of the bill. One young merchant with a ridiculously long feather arcing out of his puffy hat seems to be offering an overly emotional goodbye to bored-looking barmaid. Across the road, there are children plucking turnips under the unwatchful eye of a fat farmer practicing a meandering tune on a wooden flute.
Nov 6, 2017 5:31 pm
Mordred keeps to the back of the pack, to let one of the party's humans do the talking for now. A long time student of humanoid behavior, he attempts to get a better feel for the motivations and goals of the merchants.
Last edited November 6, 2017 5:33 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Nov 6, 2017 5:35 pm
The merchants are finely dressed, with sartorial affects Mordred recognizes from Hazard. Their horses are healthy-looking, their wagons in good condition. There are four wagons, each with a driver and a pair of armed guards, and seven merchants. Mordred cannot see what lies under the tarps on their wagons, but they appear to be motivated by commerce and profit.
Nov 6, 2017 6:01 pm
Domarc approaches the merchants, and makes a leg.

"Good day, fine traders," he says. "By chance, do you make for Hazard? If so, perhaps we could share the road - and the dangers of this Black Beast - together?"
Nov 6, 2017 6:09 pm
"We come from Hazard, vagabond," says one of the merchants, a young man with a long mustache and a teal sugarloaf hat. "Now, be on your way and harass us not."

"The black beast!" one of the older merchants says derisively, chuckling.
Nov 6, 2017 6:19 pm
"So you have come through the wood unscathed, then?" Domarc says with a smile. "We did not know what to think of the warning; my friend has wagered it is a large cat of some kind.

As for us, we come from Utwar and can tell you of the road from there, if that is on your way."
load next

Thread locked