Story Commentary

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Oct 13, 2015 8:07 am
Gentle bump! I've been slack myself for the last week, but raring to get back into my games now!
Oct 13, 2015 8:14 am
I second that :-)
Oct 13, 2015 11:52 pm
Sorry about that, got a little busy, then a little sidetracked.
Glad you guys are still excited to play!
Oct 14, 2015 1:54 am
Woot woot
Oct 24, 2015 2:53 am
I've asked a similar question before but it hasn't been answered yet.

Asterion wields the Starshadow Blade, a magical weapon granted to him by his hexblade pact.
Quote:
Starshadow Blade
Weapon Category: One-handed military melee weapon ✦ Weapon Group: Heavy Blade
Proficiency Bonus: +3 ✦ Damage: 1d10
This round Asterion activates the at-will power Resplendent Blade:
Quote:
Resplendent Blade
At-Will ✦ Standard Melee ✦ Arcane, Implement, Radiant, Weapon
Target: One creature
Requirement: You must use this power with your Starshadow Blade.
Attack: CHA vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + CHA modifier radiant damage, & one enemy adjacent to the target takes radiant damage equal to your INT modifier
Special: You can use this power as a melee basic attack.
The power has both the Implement and Weapon tags, so both of Asterion's feats (Rod Expertise and Heavy blade Expertise) come into play.

So here is my attack roll calculation:
Resplendent Blade: 1d20 + Cha (4) + Heavy Blade Expertise (1) + Rod Expertise (1) + Combat Advantage from Uhlskah's Darkfire (2) = 1d20+8

Should I have also added the weapon's proficiency bonus (+3) to that?
Last edited October 24, 2015 2:53 am
Oct 27, 2015 5:05 am
I take it the wererat has acted, but the woman hasn't yet. Is she going to, or can Uhlskah act now?
Oct 27, 2015 3:13 pm
You may act.
Oct 27, 2015 3:27 pm
Jabes.
as to your proficiency +3 I'm still debating that. I can't decide. :(
Oct 27, 2015 3:53 pm
Shadowfire says:
Asterion slashes but the rat quickly ducks, in his egotism he doesn't see the second strike.
Asterion actually only attacks once. The 2nd roll is confirmation for the possible extra 1d8 damage from Inevitable Strike. If the attack roll of 14 missed the wererat then Asterion dealt no damage at all.

Also, I included +2 to that for Uhlskah's Darkfire because I didn't know he'd missed with the spell. So Asterion's attack roll result is actually 12 :-(

Unless I can add proficiency, which would make it 15 :-)

4e is so fiddly! :-P
Oct 27, 2015 4:00 pm
Yes, I liked that you showed the where the darkfire added to the roll so I deducted it. But if the attack hitting is based only on the first roll then regardless you did miss.
Oct 27, 2015 4:00 pm
Rules Compendium p.275:

Weapons as Implements and Vice Versa

Some adventurers have the ability to use a weapon as an implement or an implement as a weapon, and some magic items grant this ability. For example, the holy avenger weapon can be used as a holy symbol, which is a type of implement. The following rules govern such uses.

Using a Weapon as an Implement: If an adventurer is able to use a weapon as an implement, the weapon works like a normal implement, but the adventurer uses neither the weapon’s proficiency bonus nor its nonmagical weapon properties with his or her implement powers. For example, if a weapon has the high crit property, that property does not work with implement powers if the weapon can be used as an implement.

When an adventurer uses a magic version of the weapon as an implement, he or she can use the magic weapon’s enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, properties, and powers. However, some magic weapons have properties and powers that work only with weapon powers. Also, a weapon’s range and damage dice are usually irrelevant to an implement power, since such a power has its own range and damage expression.
Oct 27, 2015 4:03 pm
Because Resplendent Blade is listed as all of these- Arcane, Implement, Radiant, Weapon
I feel like you should get the proficiency for both the weapon and the implement...
Oct 28, 2015 5:12 pm
ShadowFire says:
Because Resplendent Blade is listed as all of these- Arcane, Implement, Radiant, Weapon
I feel like you should get the proficiency for both the weapon and the implement...
That'd be great, thanks! :-)

On another topic: Do the 4E character sheets work properly now? All my stuff is still crammed in the Notes section.
Oct 29, 2015 2:22 pm
Not sure if I can do all of that in one round, and don't have the books to refer to. But if not, I just change weapons and prepare to do the same next round.

- War Song Strike
Bard Attack 1
You sing a song of war and victory, invigorating your allies as they press the attack.
At-Will Arcane, Weapon Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and any ally who hits the target before the end of your next turn gains
temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

My constitution modifier is +1.

Edit: I checked the rules and now see I can do all that in one round, but also that a critical 'only' gives me maximum damage, ie 12, not an extra damage die.

Edit edit: aha! But my scimitar has the property "high crit" which does give me the extra die of damage in addition to the maximum. Up to the DM to take my first or second damage roll for this.
Oct 29, 2015 8:12 pm
Okay, so 20 damage total?
12 crit plus the extra D8 which was rolled as an 8.
Oct 30, 2015 4:08 am
I won't say no to that! :-)
Jan 7, 2016 7:05 pm
Asterion is standing in the doorway. Is the woman attempting to muscle her way through him? Is that what the Strength roll is for?
Jan 7, 2016 7:29 pm
If you intend to stop her, yes. Otherwise she'll leave.
Jan 7, 2016 7:53 pm
Rolled a 1. LOL! I guess now she flips Asterion over and pulls his underwear over his head! :-D
Jan 10, 2016 2:59 pm
How does 4E handle damage and dying? I know Kirrian already received some healing (Lay On Hands from Ravastine and Song of Rest from Uhlskah) I know he's still down but is he in danger of bleeding out and dying? The answer will influence Asterion's next action.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.