Character Creation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 26, 2015 3:07 pm
Please post your characters here, together with 2 personality traits, ideal bond and flaw, so that you can introduce to each other. And also so I can grant inspiration! (might help us build a suitable team too - this is no picnic as far as haunted villages and castles go)
Jun 26, 2015 3:13 pm
Starting gold?
Jun 26, 2015 3:20 pm
As per DMG - I'll set it at 750 (average rounded down) and normal starting equipment. You are free to spend (as individuals) that on any equipment you want, and I will also grant 30 days of downtime to each player if you want it. Each player can also buy up to two healing potions (50gp each)
Jun 26, 2015 4:40 pm
So I'm thinking a couple things. First is Goliath Fighter (Champion) Entertainer (Gladiator)
Jun 26, 2015 5:00 pm
Or a Cleric 1/Bard 4 healer bot.
Jun 26, 2015 5:14 pm
One more thing - once you have a character concept, could you find an image to represent your character? I will be uploading it to 3D virtual tabletop and posting photos as we go, as long as it continues working!!

Good ideas so far - I will allow all supplemented material including the EE spells. Only problem I think is swashbuckler, who simply won't get sneak attack when at disadvantage
Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm
Pretty sure I'm going rogue, unless nobody else wants to play a paladin, in which case, I'll play a paladin. Generally speaking, they'll be about what one expects them to be.
Jun 26, 2015 7:45 pm
I'm already playing a paladin in another game. I was thinking of playing a wild magic sorcerer with the noble background in this game. I'm barely familiar with Ravenloft, but it was the first character concept that came to mind. Sound good?
Jun 26, 2015 8:22 pm
I was kind of hoping to be some kind of witch-hunter rogue/assassin type. I know witch hunters are more of a Warhammer thing, but it would feel appropriate for ravenloft.

So Grazzt, if you don't mind doing the Paladin thing, I'll happily go rogue.
Jun 26, 2015 9:29 pm
Grendelthebrave...were you going to go "All arcane magic is evil" type witch hunter or is there room in your concept for the "noble class sorcerer" I lean arcane caster as well...but with this group make up I'm not sure yet. I'm not a big fan of Paladins myself...I'm leaning cleric or monk...possibly fighter. I guess I will confer with themightykobold. He has mentioned heal not or fighter...I will fill the role he doesn't choose.
Jun 26, 2015 9:37 pm
I'm gonna go with human fighter though it'll be more finesse than smash and bash.

Question for the DM: I'm thinking about making something like a Lamplighter which is an old Mordentish prestige class. Kinda like a investigator with the trust of the people. Question is, can I wield a lantern in my offhand with the stats of a club? Maybe 1d6 Bludgeoning?
Jun 26, 2015 9:44 pm
Healer for me then
Jun 26, 2015 10:40 pm
themightykobold says:

Question for the DM: I'm thinking about making something like a Lamplighter which is an old Mordentish prestige class. Kinda like a investigator with the trust of the people. Question is, can I wield a lantern in my offhand with the stats of a club? Maybe 1d6 Bludgeoning?
A lamp-lighting pole is not a good weapon - 1 bludgeoning damage (or fire if lit) and reach property. Lantern could have the stats of a club including the light properly, if you are happy with it possibly going out sometimes (roll d20 vs damage or lower)(or even blinding enemies)
Jun 26, 2015 10:43 pm
Sorcerer was the best damage dealer when we played it. Go with whatever you think - healer, tank and rogue are covered by the look of things
Jun 26, 2015 10:47 pm
Well I hope I can fill those shoes with my sorcerer.
Jun 26, 2015 10:55 pm
foolsmask says:
Grendelthebrave...were you going to go "All arcane magic is evil" type witch hunter or is there room in your concept for the "noble class sorcerer" I lean arcane caster as well...but with this group make up I'm not sure yet. I'm not a big fan of Paladins myself...I'm leaning cleric or monk...possibly fighter. I guess I will confer with themightykobold. He has mentioned heal not or fighter...I will fill the role he doesn't choose.
I was thinking more evil magic and undead hunter type thing. Non-overtly evil wizards and sorcerers might not be trusted quickly, but wouldn't be hunted down without reason.
Jun 26, 2015 11:00 pm
Cool. At first blush I thought you were doing the "all magic is bad " thing...which gets dicey. Sounds good to me .
Jun 27, 2015 1:59 am
Sweet .. I'll draw up a paladin, and Grendel can be the mineswee.... er ... point man. May go with my old half-orc paladin who was a bandit and a marauder until he had an epiphany. He's still pretty much a strong-arm thug, but he's on the side of the righteous these days. Or, I may make a more standard paladin.
Jun 27, 2015 4:19 am
Would anybody be interested in being a part of my Soldier background? Not saying you have to be a Soldier...Noble and Folk Hero could work easily. Others are options, those two just jumped out at me as likely.
Jun 27, 2015 6:54 am
Folk Hero or Noble Variant (the knight) may work for the type of character I'm going with now. I think the Variant Human is the way I have to go to do all the things I want to do. I'll flesh it out but I'm thinking dual rapiers in heavy armor is going to be the thing.
Jun 27, 2015 5:07 pm
Korag is a former pirate who received a vision from Tyr in the middle of a battle. He switched sides on the spot, and slew enough of his former comrades that the captain of the new ship spared his life, and put him ashore at the nearest port. He knows next to nothing about Tyr, but he has a clear sense of his purpose. Essentially, he's Samuel L Jackson at the end of Pulp Fiction. Minus the jerry curl.

Tyr 25:17 "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."
Jun 27, 2015 5:10 pm
"But I saw some stuff on the boat this morning made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Greatsword here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous kiester in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that bull ain't the truth. The truth is, you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd."
Last edited June 27, 2015 5:11 pm
Jun 27, 2015 7:13 pm
Rolling for HP

Rolls

Hp rolling - (5d8-5)

(48783) - 5 = 25

Jun 27, 2015 8:03 pm
Lysander served as a medic in the army. He was young and ambitious when he signed on. He balked at being relegated to the medic corp. Eventually he learned enough and was assigned to a unit headed to the front lines as it's medic. Once on the front lines the horrors of war truly revealed themselves. Lysander proved his valor time and again, but battle quickly drained his youthful exuberance. Then one night his unit was attacked by something dark and fearsome. What it was Lysander cannot say, he was gravely injured and was bed ridden for many months. While he was recovering a visiting priest inspired him to join the church. After he was ordained he was given the mission of spreading his faith and tending to the needs of the people. The war is now over, Lysander is healthy enough to get back out into the world to adventure. He has fallen back in with [other PC name(s)] from his old unit. They saved his life once, and Lysander has sworn to return the favor.

So, there is the basic concept I have worked up. If anyone wants to be from Lysander's old unit. feel free to work him and these details into your character's story.
Jun 27, 2015 8:53 pm
Well, it's a warhammer, not a greatsword, but yeah. Anyway, it seemed like a perfect line for a OoV paladin, and the whole "You're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men, but I'm trying hard to be the shepherd " bit fits his story to a T. So there.

foolsmask - I like the story. I'd tap in to be a former comrade in arms, but it doesn't really gel with my guy.

Are we rolling hps or doing 1/2 rounded up?

If we're rolling...

Rolls

hps - (5d10+15)

(73269) + 15 = 42

Jun 27, 2015 10:23 pm
Katerina was found at a young age wandering around the Forest of the Ancients muttering nonsense phrases in High Mordentish. The man that found her was Theodore Smith, a widower Lamplighter, while he was investigating bandits that had fled into the area. Not able to turn his back on the young girl nor give up pursuit, so hot on their trail, he strapped the young girl to his back and continued to track the bandits. Lucky he did, as the girl, facing backwards, was able to warn him of an impending ambush when she screamed at bandits that had hidden amongst the trees.
The old soldier took this to be a good omen and raised the girl as his own. As such, and without a wife at home to care for the child, this was the first of many missions that Katerina would be brought along on. The girl was quick and smart, easily learning how best to stay out of the way and be useful by being an extra set of eyes.
However much Old Theodore loves her, the townspeople are wary. The girl is eerily quiet and, in emulation of her foster father, dresses in armor. This is off-putting and most townsfolk only deal with her in deference to Theodore.
While their relationship is good, some things still trouble both Theodore and Katerina. Due to his nature as a Lamplighter, Theodore has never been able to allow the circumstances of Katerina’s strange appearance in the forest to leave his memory. In his mind’s eye he can still see her in the forest, standing there naked except for an empty locket and bits of old, dried paint crusted to her eyelashes and platinum blond hair. Katerina on the other hand has little memory of before she was found. She is happy when she is with Theodore and smiles when he takes her along on missions but sullen otherwise, her green eyes vacant of expression. She still wakes in the night screaming from nightmares of a darkness she can’t remember.
Katerina has recently come of age and her slight frame, easy grace, and porcelain skin have started to attract some of the town’s eligible bachelors. Truly though, only the bravest approach her because pretty as she is, her cold vacancy and masculine dress intimidates them into finding easier wives.
Everything was fine in her life until two weeks ago when Theodore said he had to go on a mission alone. He was investigating a connection to her origins and was certain of the dangers that lurked where he was going. Not wanting to concern Katerina, he told her it was a routine perimeter walk, something that had began to bore her in her later years. But now he hasn’t returned. And no one in the Sheriff’s office has knowledge of the mission he went on. 
Katerina, with the skills and training she has learned under the tutelage of her Lamplighter father, will strap her rapiers to her sides and venture out into the darkness to bring him back.

Katerina is a human fighter urchin who fights with dual rapiers. She wears half plate armour that moves flexibly with her fluid dual weapon fighting style. She represents and values the highest virtues of truth and honor.

Rolls

HP - (5d10+10)

(985103) + 10 = 45

Jun 27, 2015 10:29 pm
... didn't think about it until after I rolled it, but first level is maxed hit die plus another four. But since we all rolled 5dHD, does everyone just want keep that and just go with it?
Jun 27, 2015 11:35 pm
Or use standard HP rolls. Better results
Jun 28, 2015 3:34 am
Spent a good chunk of my day in Photoshop Frankensteining together a Character Potrait for Katerina.
Last edited June 28, 2015 3:34 am
Jun 28, 2015 8:19 am
Nice work themightykobold. I also created a character portrait today, meet Lysander, Half-elf Cleric of Saga
Jun 28, 2015 9:03 am
Holy cow!! 5 stars for effort! Will load them up
Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am
http://s17.postimg.org/8jr1gtcsd/Screenshot_2015_06_28_10_10_25.png

Let's fill this tavern!

Are you all doing traits/ideal/bond/flaw too? Also, do I get to see the character sheets? It's my first time using this forum
Jun 28, 2015 12:13 pm
You do get to see character sheets. I sent you a message though: You need to edit the game page. Under number of players there is a "Characters per Player" setting. Right now it is set to zero characters per player. Just bump that up to one and we can submit our sheets. Also, Foolsmask, your art is decent as hell! I really dig Hijack and what looks to be his control of elemental powers. Really, it all looks really good.

I will do a more formalized traits/ideal/bond/flaw but it's all pretty much in the backstory. The flaw is a bit weak right now but it's a work in progress.
Last edited June 28, 2015 12:22 pm
Jun 28, 2015 1:03 pm
That's the second time I've had to change that. I hope it sticks. And I'm highlighting the relevant parts of the backstory anyway - no need to formalise them if they are implicit in the text. A little more about personality would be good all round
Jun 28, 2015 1:19 pm
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0377/54/1422758327860.png

Personality Trait 1 = To me, a tavern brawl is a good way to get to know a new city.
Personality Trait 2 = I misquote sacred texts and proverbs in almost every situation.
Ideal = Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
Bond = I am guilty of terrible crimes. I hope someday to redeem myself.
Flaw = Once someone questions my courage, I never back down, no matter how dangerous the situation.

More of the above comes from the acolyte background than the sailor, but his transition from pirate to paladin has taken him on a strange journey. He's 5th level, so he's probably had a few adventures since then, but I imagine mostly he's been hunting down criminals and corrupt officials.
He's not too bright, and things are very simple for him. If you kill, steal or oppress people, you're bad. If you're an unnatural monster, you're bad. Tyr wants you to stop being bad, and if that means your brains get splattered all over the floor, so be it.
Last edited June 28, 2015 1:30 pm
Jun 28, 2015 2:18 pm
Personality: There is more to most problems than what originally meets the eyes; Katerina does not let appearances fool her and tries to take account of all aspects of a person or a scene. The Lamplighters' honor, a vivid consciousness of personal dignity and worth, is unimpeachable; Katerina, valuing the duties and privileges of her profession, helps those in need wherever she should find them in this dark land.
Ideal: Justice and Temperance. Katerina believes in fairness in protection of rights and punishment of wrongs. Also that a clear mind is one that sees the full picture.
Bond: To find Theodore, her father, and to unravel the mystery of his disappearance.
Flaw: In Mordent, Lamplighters are universally respected; in the outside world, those that don't recognize the order may not show the same deference. Katerina being inept at social situations will challenge any percieved disrespect to her authority. She is afraid of the dark if she is alone. She is not actually a Lamplighter, though she has been trained as one from youth. If someone outside of Mordentshire called her out, it would stain her honor.
Last edited June 28, 2015 2:57 pm
Jun 28, 2015 2:26 pm
Also for more info about the Lamplighters (which now I'm thinking I should turn into a homebrew Background), you can check out the Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume 3 pg 114-117 here.
Jun 28, 2015 3:46 pm
Jun 28, 2015 3:55 pm
oops .. sorry, I was checking if my avatar was working. But she's cool looking for sure.
Jun 28, 2015 5:16 pm
Yeah, I was like . . . it's up in the chat but . . . *shrugs*, Ok.
Jun 28, 2015 6:18 pm
Names... I always get hung up on names. I should have my character sheet finished soon. Until then, here's the rest of it.

Born the son of a noble human man who fell in love with a elven woman, Falfaelor Stadelman grew up with what seemed to be the best of both worlds. Called Faelor by everyone except his mother, he was on his way to becoming a fine example of nobility just like all the others. That changed when a band of travelers came to entertain the happy family and a magical mishap exposed Faelor to raw magic. It was soon after that incident that Faelor's sorcerous powers began to appear. Sages and powerful wizards came to study Faelor to determine what was going on. To discover that he was now a sorcerer was both exciting and terrifying to Faelor. Eventually, he made sense of it and was no longer afraid. At the behest of his mother, he took to the road to further his power - always for the greater good.

Traits: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood. This has led others to love me for my kindness and generosity.
Ideal: Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.
Bond: The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.
Flaw: I have an insatiable desire for carnal pleasures.
Jun 28, 2015 6:50 pm
Rogue, Sorcerer, Fighter, Healer?, Paladin. Looks like a good mix.
Jun 28, 2015 8:01 pm
Yep...Cleric with a significant Healer focus.
Jun 29, 2015 7:58 pm
Background: Criminal
Specialization: Hired Killer
Trait: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong
Ideal: Charity: Steal from the wealthy to help those in need. Read: Kill the noble oppressors to benefit the oppressed.
Bond: Someone I love died because of a mistake I made.
Flaw: I have a "tell" that reveals when I am lying.

Sindar grew up on the streets and developed his thiefly skills by stealing food and gold to survive the mean streets. As a child, he was betrayed by a noble employer who sacrificed his Mother and a handful of other indentured workers, turning them into undead beasts that would work forever for no food or pay. The plan backfired for the lord, the zombies escaping to raise hell in the streets. Sindar sneaked into the Lord's chambers one evening and killed him for his transgressions. He then went out to help deal with the undead in the streets.
The prowess he showed that day was enough to win him future work, hunting down nests of undead and their evil masters.
Sindar is primarily motivated by helping those who cannot help themselves, though he does so in an indirect manner, slaying undead and taking contracts to eliminate oppressive necromancers, practitioners of dark arts.

EDIT: HP rolls
Last edited July 6, 2015 3:25 am

Rolls

HP lev 2-5 (d8) - (4d8)

(8364) = 21

Jul 1, 2015 4:44 am
My paladin is almost done. Juat tweaking a bit and will post later :-)
Jul 1, 2015 6:03 pm
Iskandil will be taking the place of Korag.
He always preferred solitude to the company of others, and the Culliver family respected that. They stayed away from his part of the forest, and in return, he shared the wealth of the forest with them. When winter came, he would come with medicine and apple brandy that he would trade for grain, and they knew their farm prospered at least in part thanks to his friendship.

When the Duke's man came to collect taxes, Jack Culliver showed them the charter that exempted them from payment in return for their settling the wilderness. The Duke's man left, but returned several days later with soldiers. Jack's wife Sarah and their children fled into the forest before they reached the house. Jack was taken away in chains, and the Duke's men took everything of value and put the cottage and the outbuildings to the torch.

When Sarah found Iskandil, he changed into a wolf to race ahead of the Duke's soldiers. He caught them and called up the forest against them. While they were pinned down by the very roots and grass, Iskandil released Jack, and they both retreated back into the woods.

More of the Duke's men came, and the Cullivers fled the forest into the neighboring country to start again. Iskandil stood and fought the soldiers until they finally beat him down and dragged him into their prison. When he woke, he was dragged before the Duke and beaten again. The Duke told him that the Cullivers had escaped, so he, Iskandil, was responsible for their debts and crimes. He would be hung at dawn.

He escaped in the shape of a snake, slithering through the bars and made his way safely to the trees. He returned to his cabin in the deep woods to retrieve his bow and his still. When the Duke's hunters finally found the place, he had disappeared across the border.

The Cullivers had been a popular family in their old home, and it was no different in the new land. The story of the drunk elf who stood up to the Duke and slipped away under his nose grew, but Iskandil is still looking for a new place to call home.

Personality Traits: I judge people by their actions, not their words. If someon is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help.
Ideal: Tyranst must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: A noble once gave me a horrible beating, and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially strong drink.
Last edited July 1, 2015 6:03 pm
Jul 2, 2015 12:22 am
Almost forgot to give my avatar
http://poprikoly.com/uploads/p/2015-03-21/muzhchini_mira_fentezi_vertikalnie_kartinki_-39.jpg
Jul 2, 2015 8:45 pm
Finally got my character down. For background I went with a mix of Soldier, Folk Hero, and a little bit of Criminal. You'll see why when you read the backstory. Chose Stealth & Survival as skill proficiencies granted by background.

I'm sorry, but I need some help figuring out exactly how many spells I can cast per day. I think it's 5 but does that include oath spells or not? How does that work? Never played a paladin before. Thanks!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/9d/ea/379dea7a3f67c90facd7792d5a16a20c.jpg

Grizel the Orphan
Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)

Orphaned at a very young age, Grizel was raised by Jonas, a huntsman, and his wife Ellie, a washerwoman, both in the employ of a local lord named Umbert Carnley. A strong, beautiful, willful child, Grizel became friends with everyone at the homestead and at the manor but what she loved best, to the chagrin of her adoptive mother, was spending time at the practice yard with the soldiers. In time she grew into a beautiful young woman but she would not be a washerwoman, nor a handmaid to the Lady, no! She wanted to be in the militia. The swordmaster was only too happy to take Grizel in as she proved more than a match for almost any man. Eventually she was raised up among the ranks and gifted by Lord Umbert’s son, Lord Garrett himself, with her own sword and suit of armor.

Grizel’s time in the militia opened her eyes to the tyranny of House Carnley. Growing up she had been largely sheltered from the worst of it but now she witnessed the oppression of the lowliest peasants, the back-breaking work and the even more back-breaking taxes. She herself was never sent to collect these taxes (sometimes in the form of merciless floggings or daughters brought to the manor like livestock only to be discarded when the lord or their underlings were through), but she sometimes heard her fellow soldiers boasting of their exploits. These were her friends! People she thought were good men!

One night, while Grizel lay in bed agonizing over the wrongness of it all, an injustice was visited upon her. Lord Garrett snuck into her room and raped her. She would have cried out or fought back had he not threatened to hurt dear Jonas and Ellie. Two nights later it happened again. And again. And then it was Umbert followed by Garrett. What could Grizel do? Who could she tell? Who would listen? Finally she told Jonas and Ellie but begged them not to do anything foolish. They could just run away. Grizel had saved up some money. A mistake: The next day, while Grizel was out on patrol, Jonas went to Lord Umbert himself. When Grizel returned to the manor she found both of her adoptive parents staked out in the yard, naked and beaten almost to death, while Garrett himself stood by smirking. The first person Grizel killed was the man with the flogging stick: Stevan, master of stables, a man she loved like an uncle. The next three men to die were soldiers, all friends, who drew swords on her while Garrett fled. Grizel knelt beside poor Jonas & Ellie and saw that they were beyond saving. With an anguished cry Grizel ended their suffering herself. Then she fought her way up the manor, carving a bloody swath before her to get to the filthy lords of Carnley. She took their ugly heads and flung them down at the gates. Then she burned the manor down.

Grizel knew then that from that moment, though righteous was her wrath, she had become a fugitive. She went to the kennels and slaughtered the hounds. She had loved them, each one, but they would be used to hunt her down. Next, to the stables where she let loose all the horses but her favorite charger which she saddled and away she fled, away, far, far away from that place. From that life. From that person she once was.

Trait: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching
Trait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way
Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
Flaw: Secretly, I believe that things would be better if I were a tyrant lording over the land
Last edited December 2, 2015 10:52 am
Jul 2, 2015 10:16 pm
Rich back story. Just explained spells by pm :) let me know if you need more assistance
Aug 27, 2015 6:09 pm
So.. what's the group look like?

Also, stat option 3 sounds neat... am I right understanding it like this:

I roll 4d6 for Str, roll 4d6 for dex, roll 4d6 for con, roll 4d6 for int, roll 4d6 for wis, roll 4d6 for cha.
With each 4d6 roll I drop the lowest result and sum the rest (so I get a number between 3 and 18).

My only question is what does this part mean:
"Players using this method may trade sets"
Aug 27, 2015 6:40 pm
If you and another player use that method, you can swap your numbers
Aug 27, 2015 6:48 pm
I see. So if I had hoped to play a fighter but rolled low str and con, and someone else rolled high str but low int, they could trade with me. I get it!

I only have to pick my race first though, right?
Aug 27, 2015 6:51 pm
I submitted my Rock Gnome Wizard. He is a tinker in his abilities and member of the Tinker's Guild. His guild training made him what he is today and he dabbles in magic to help him with his creations, as well as handling anything that may get in the way of him and fancy components he may need. He often tries to be witty and insightful, sometimes just seeming to spew out unrelated things to the occasion. He is very unsuited to up close fighting and spell slings from a distance, as well as offers reconnaissance and distractions of enemies and guards.

The character is a little odd in his mannerisms, has a Raven familar, and has a quarterstaff that is crowned in a bronze Raven head that he can open and close the mouth to with a button down on the staff.

These are my background traits:
Trait: I'm full of witty aphorisms and have a proverb for every occasion.
Ideal: Generosity. My talents were given to me so that I could use them to benefit the world. (Good)
Bond: I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.
Flaw: I’ll do anything to get my hands on something rare or priceless.

Here is an approximated idea of his look from Google Image Search:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/af/57/8caf57e03c77cf71dc7d8b3f8a9bdecd.jpg
Last edited August 27, 2015 6:53 pm
Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm
Question, for Victor, should he start as something more than Level 1? Seems like the game is in progress a bit.
Aug 27, 2015 7:13 pm
It is a level 5 campaign, so start there. I normally expect my players to post rolls inside the forum, as below, for stats and HP as per other rolls:

Rolls

test - (4d6)

(2363) = 14

Aug 27, 2015 7:14 pm
Sorry, I took standard array and standard number for level 1. I'll roll for new HP and such.
Aug 27, 2015 7:14 pm
I'm fine with standard array too! There are 3 methods you can use. You're welcome to use any of those. The players who started were only offered point buy, but I wanted to expand for other players :)
Aug 27, 2015 7:20 pm
Alright, new character HP is 6 plus my rolls, and I'll be updating my character sheet with more spells, spell slots, and abilities. I'll post new details when character is updated, probably later today.

Edit: Add one to rolled numbers because for first ability score increase I bumped my constitution score by one.
Last edited August 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Rolls

4 Levels worth of HP (0 con modifier) - (4d6)

(3561) = 15

Aug 27, 2015 7:50 pm
Since others are level 5 already, do I have an adjusted starting GP after the base gear my class and background grants me?
Aug 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Race: Changeling (if Unearthed Arcana is permitted), Half-Orc otherwise... C'mon good luck!

Rolls

Str - (4d6)

(4511) = 11

Con - (4d6)

(6452) = 17

Dex - (4d6)

(6623) = 17

Int - (4d6)

(6225) = 15

Wis - (4d6)

(2222) = 8

Cha - (4d6)

(2626) = 16

Aug 27, 2015 8:03 pm
To summarize:

Str: 10 (+0)
Con: 15 (+2)
Dex: 15 (+2)
Int: 13 (+1)
Wis: 6 (-2)
Cha: 14 (+2)

Net: +5
Aug 27, 2015 8:38 pm
Changeling is Eberron really, this is Greyhawk...I'm normally ok with UA but I'm not sure I'm down with the racial ability for suitability in this campaign. Go with half-orc
Aug 27, 2015 8:41 pm
Low WIS is cool! According to a guide I have..."Often fails to exert common sense. Forgets or opts not to consider options before taking action". If you want to play it that way that is
Aug 27, 2015 8:44 pm
Updated Victor, what would be my starting GP since everyone is a little higher level?
Aug 27, 2015 9:04 pm
750, or 500 + 1d10*50. You can sell anything on your starting list at half price, and make any purchases you need from PHB/DMG
Aug 27, 2015 9:09 pm
I'll take the straight 750.
Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm
Ok. So I'm rolling, as well, for my abilities one by one. As for race, I want to be a Tiefling. So I'm going to cross my fingers and roll some dice.

Rolls

STRENGTH - (4d6)

(3415) = 13

DEXTERITY - (4d6)

(3566) = 20

CONSTITUTION - (4d6)

(3445) = 16

INTELLIGENCE - (4d6)

(4226) = 14

WISDOM - (4d6)

(5512) = 13

CHARISMA - (4d6)

(3351) = 12

Aug 27, 2015 9:24 pm
Finally:
STR: 12 (+1)
DEX: 17 (+3)
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 12 (+1)
CHA: 11 (+0)

NOTE: Candi, if you want to trade, I'll take the lower WIS. I wouldn't mind higher CHA as it is.
Last edited August 27, 2015 9:32 pm
Aug 28, 2015 12:00 am
I feel like I missed something. Hi Candi and Phantom! Welcome to the game. Are you replacing someone? Did someone die? I know I'm making death saving throws. Since I see there's been talk of rolling for ability scores, I don't think I've ever considered rolling straight down the line and keeping what's rolled in order. I think that takes part of the fun out of playing your character. If I roll an 8 or 12 for charisma on my sorcerer, I think that's kind of a waste and will not enjoy myself as much.
Last edited August 28, 2015 12:01 am
Aug 28, 2015 12:12 am
Not sure on replacement. I joined into the campaign on the Games area and there were only like 5 people. I should have my rock gnome ready later tonight. Just need my equipment buys.
Aug 28, 2015 3:26 am
I'm rolling money as well. My character is a Ranger, so that would be 5d4x10...

Rolls

Money!!! (x10) - (5d4)

(23232) = 12

Aug 28, 2015 3:32 am
I sorta am also confused by the sudden influx of characters. The more the merrier?
Last edited August 28, 2015 3:33 am
Aug 28, 2015 3:41 am
If it's too much I could drop out... It could be that Biscuit accepted one too many players. Seven is quite a bit.
Last edited August 28, 2015 3:48 am
Aug 28, 2015 4:02 am
When I hopped in there was at least another space listed. I'll let Biscuit sort it out. Lol.
Aug 28, 2015 5:32 am
The more the merrier, I say! My paladin's about to die anyway! LOL! :-D
Aug 28, 2015 8:46 am
Grendel had to withdraw from my games as he has stuff going on. Grazzt was MIA. I think we may lose foolsmask, but he may just be busy. The campaign is designed for 6 but 7 is fine for now!
Aug 28, 2015 11:41 am
Victor thumbs the button on the back of his quarter staff. The copper crows head That crowns the staff squeaks slightly as the beak opens and closes with the button presses.

"Put me in coach, I'm ready when you are", Victor says excitedly in a high mock voice.

"Oh you'll get your chance soon enough", Victor says, addressing the staff.
Aug 28, 2015 12:43 pm
tananddice, I'd love to trade. The half-orc race is pushing me towards melee, and I'd love the boost to Str (if you don't mind the huge drop on Wis!)
Aug 28, 2015 12:45 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Since I see there's been talk of rolling for ability scores, I don't think I've ever considered rolling straight down the line and keeping what's rolled in order. I think that takes part of the fun out of playing your character. If I roll an 8 or 12 for charisma on my sorcerer, I think that's kind of a waste and will not enjoy myself as much.
Well, you don't pick class until you have your stats (I'm probably going Rogue, for instance, because I've got decent Dex/Con and I'm a half-orc and so prefer melee weapons). It relocates the fun of making a character from deciding every detail, to managing with what you get. Plus the chaos means sometimes you end up with something you never would've chosen that's fun to RP (like 6 Wis).
Aug 28, 2015 12:51 pm
I see. That's really not my cup of tea, but I hope you have fun with it. :)
Aug 28, 2015 1:29 pm
Faelor is back up - rolling 20 on death save means serious adrenaline surge!
Aug 28, 2015 2:52 pm
Candi says:
tananddice, I'd love to trade. The half-orc race is pushing me towards melee, and I'd love the boost to Str (if you don't mind the huge drop on Wis!)
Sounds like a deal. I've got a Tiefling, so the boost in CHA will make up for the WIS.
Aug 28, 2015 3:28 pm
Excellent. I'm actually leaning towards a Dex-based melee class and the Dex boost is still nice for that (and being HalfOrc, taking a hit to Con isn't so bad), and 14 Str (after racial) will mean I don't have to be too selective about my weapon choices.

Monk (Way of the Shadow), Rogue (Assassin), Fighter (Battle Master), Ranger (Beast Master) are all tentative candidates based on fluff (and I'll make a firmer decision once I get home and can look at some crunch).
Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm
Candi says:
Ranger (Beast Master) are all tentative candidates based on fluff (and I'll make a firmer decision once I get home and can look at some crunch).
My first choice when designing based on the stats I rolled.
Aug 28, 2015 6:32 pm
Yeah. The other options are there because I always want to make a Monk (but typically don't because Monks are really stat intensive, as you typically need decent Con, Wis and Dex/Str to do it well) so I always investigate monk options; rogue is an obvious attempt for a high dex character with decent stats across the board and the Battle Master fighter just sounds really (mechanically) interesting. But Beast Master was definitely the "obvious" choice for that stat line.

And because I also use imagery to help make decisions, here's some possible portraits:

Monk
Fighter
Rogue
Ranger (but could also be Rogue or Fighter... actually I'll probably use this one unless I make a Monk)
Last edited August 28, 2015 6:35 pm
Aug 28, 2015 6:42 pm
Cool images! That's how I create character concepts too - from images. Battle Masters are awesome! I play a dwarven shield specialist battle master in my RL game, and an archery specialist battle master in one of the other games here.
Aug 28, 2015 9:39 pm
Rolling for health...

Rolls

Level 2 - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Level 3 - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Level 4 - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Level 5 - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Aug 28, 2015 10:30 pm
All right so here is my character.
Diamaia Kay-Vallen was born and raised by a prestigious Tiefling family who believed that Tieflings should keep a 'pure' lineage. They were zealots of their race. They worshiped the demons themselves and attempted to drag their daughter into their twisted "religion". Her parents even taught her Infernal as her main language, leaving her Common broken and cracked.
However, Diamaia had different ideas altogether... She wanted to be a Paladin... Her love for righteousness continued to clash with her parent's views.
Diamaia strove to be a paladin over and over again, but to no avail. She joined several churches, but had to leave each one. She had too much pure Tiefling blood in her. She was far too chaotic.
Diamaia gave up on becoming a Paladin and decided to hone her powers in the Wild as a Sorcerer. It broke her, but not her virtuous spirit.
Now she goes by a Virtue Name so that she is not connected to nor shames her parents any longer. Now she goes by Justice.
Last edited August 29, 2015 5:44 am
Aug 29, 2015 2:52 am
Alright, settled on a character avatar. Imagine this guy, but carrying a quarter staff that is capped in a copper crows head. The beak can be opened and closed with the press of a button that is down by where he holds the staff. It has no special powers or different stats at all.
Aug 29, 2015 7:43 am
Very nice - good work. I'd guess the staff is a spellcasting focus?
Aug 29, 2015 12:02 pm
Good stuff, guys! I hope one of you will show up in time to stabilize Grizel LOL! :-D
Aug 29, 2015 2:33 pm
I'm ready to go. Hope you don't die before I get there!
Aug 29, 2015 2:44 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Very nice - good work. I'd guess the staff is a spellcasting focus?
You would think so, but no. He has a component pouch he uses instead. It seems, by the way the rule book states it, a focus, and a component pouch work the same. The top of the staff literally is just an ornamental clockwork device, with only the ability to open and close the crow's beak.
Aug 30, 2015 5:58 pm
How about Swashbuckler (it's Unearthed Arcana material, so I wanted to check). Toying around with a Fighter 1/Rogue 4 (Swashbuckler) or a Rogue (Swaskbuckler) 5 build. Liking the idea of an overconfident half-orc rogue whose sneakier and more effective at roguery than people expect from a moderately sized half-orc.

(sorry I'm taking so long, I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation so I only get to poke at character creation during breaks)
Aug 30, 2015 7:43 pm
Swashbuckler is fine - I'd like to see it :). No sneak attack if you have disadvantage though
Aug 30, 2015 8:18 pm
Cool, swashbuckler half-orc it will be. Probably just rogue 5 for simplicity. Two-weapon fighting feat as my complimentary feat for rolling stats nicely offsets the desire for a level of fighter (and lets me dual wield rapiers for more awesomeness).

Character sheet coming soon, not sure when (again, dissertation writing breaks)

Portrait Option, Posting to Bookmark
Last edited August 30, 2015 8:21 pm
Sep 1, 2015 3:08 am
Just need to work out equipment purchases, but the rest of the build is done. Submitted to the game. Working out a background next after looking at the others, and then I'll add the personality traits, ideal, bond and flaw.
Sep 1, 2015 7:14 am
Nice one! Game seems to have stalled, some fresh blood will be good!
Sep 1, 2015 11:51 am
Put me in whenever coach. :)
Sep 1, 2015 1:32 pm
Ready here as well!
Sep 1, 2015 1:39 pm
http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2008/10/17/martalw37L86UAw7od.jpg

Zinnarath had it rough from day one. Her mother was poor, her father was slain before she was born by an over eager paladin seeking to 'rid the world of vile creatures'. She learned to pickpocket and stay below the notice of others shortly after she learned to walk and talk, as those skills were necessary to survive. Her mother passed when she was fourteen. Zinn stowed away on the next ship that passed through the little port town she was born in and started on her own path. She was fortunate to have hidden herself away on a pirate vessel in need of a good thief. When they realized their food stores were short, and discovered her, instead of throwing her overboard or running her through, they offered her a place on the crew.

Years on the sea, navigating the rigging and sword fighting on the unpredictable sway of the sea taught Zinn the finer points of getting around with a bit of flourish. Before long she had become First Mate, and led many raiding parties on small port towns, treasure troves and merchant vessels. Zinn's exploits earned her a bit of renown as the Black Queen.

All good things come to an end, and Zinn's pirate life was no exception. Authorities local to the regions they frequently harried began to see their ship as a threat that could be turned into an example. Fleets scoured the sea searching for them and the bounty on their captain and ship grew so large that they could not even trust the owners of safe houses or the honesty of a trustworthy fence. Zinn saw their end coming like a huge tidal wave, and so did not return to the ship when they stopped at a small port to resupply. She was not the first to leave, but her betrayal probably stung the captain the most. Whether because her attentive eye and good sword arm were absent, or not, the ship was captured in the bay just beyond the port.

Looking for a new life, Zinn struck inland. Her skills helped secure the odd job, adventuring contract and keep thieves and brigands off her tail. Her reputation as the Black Queen, while fading, proved useful for brushing off local authorities and getting away with small crimes. Through fate or fortune she found herself in (the same place the group is).
Sep 1, 2015 2:15 pm
Nearly there!
Sep 1, 2015 3:21 pm
Bond, Flaw, Ideal etc are on the character sheet. Tonight I'll go shopping (already partially done with 2x Rapier and 1x Studded Leather, but I still need to fill in the other gaps. Theives' Tools, Shortbow and other miscellaneous stuff)
Sep 2, 2015 4:15 am
Just to make sure I do this right, I get 750 gold to spend and anything that I buy that I could've chosen as part of my starting package I get for half price (and because of this, I don't get my starting package)?
Sep 2, 2015 9:07 am
The 750 is seperate for starting at higher than l1.

Otherwise normal rules apply: take class starting equipment or roll for wealth. If you take the class stuff you can sell anything you gain from it at half it's value, if you don't want it
Sep 2, 2015 2:37 pm
Perfect! I should be able to finish this up tonight then when I get my hands on a PHB (there's one at the local game cafe and I'm heading there for an event). Unless someone wants to price out hand crossbow bolts, tell me what's in a burglar's pack (and price out rope, grappling hook and pitons in they aren't in the pack) :)
Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am
So the cafe plan never panned out and now I'm in the UK and won't be back home for 3 months (exciting!). Really, all I need to know is the cost of a standard adventure's kit and the cost of (hand) crossbow bolts. Then I can figure out how much gold I have left, exactly how many hand crossbows I have and how many bolts I have (as I assume we're tracking ammunition? Or can I buy a suitable large number of bolts and never count them again?)
Sep 11, 2015 1:08 pm
Burglar’s Pack = 16 gp.
Dungeoneer’s Pack = 12 gp.
Explorer’s Pack = 10 gp.
Hand Crossbow = 75 gp.
PHB doesn't seem to differentiate between crossbow sizes when it comes to bolts. Crossbow bolts (20) = 1 gp
Sep 11, 2015 5:18 pm
You can have as many as you can carry! Your normal capacity is strength x15lbs. 20 bolts are 1.5lbs.

Here's the texts from the packs:

Eq u i p m e n t Pa c k s
The starting equipment you get from your class includes acollection of useful adventuring gear, put together in a pack. The contents of these packs are listed here. If you are buying your starting equipment, you can purchase a pack for the price shown, which might be cheaper than buying the items individually.

Burglar’s Pack (16 gp). Includes a backpack, a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Diplomat's Pack (39 gp). Includes a chest, 2 cases for maps and scrolls, a set of fine clothes, a bottle o f ink, an ink pen, a lamp, 2 flasks of oil, 5 sheets of paper, a vial of perfume, sealing wax, and soap.

Dungeoneer’s Pack (12 gp). Includes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Entertainer’s Pack (40 gp). Includes a backpack, a bedroll, 2 costumes, 5 candles, 5 days o f rations, a waterskin, and a disguise kit.

Explorer’s Pack (10 gp). Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Priest’s Pack (19 gp). Includes a backpack, a blanket, 10 candles, a tinderbox, an alms box, 2 blocks of incense, a censer, vestments, 2 days of rations, and a waterskin.

Scholar’s Pack (40 gp). Includes a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife.
Sep 18, 2015 11:47 am
Okay I'm going to convert 200GP to supplies. Should I just list the value I have of those on my character sheet? Like Tinker Supplies (200gp)?
Last edited September 18, 2015 11:48 am
Sep 18, 2015 12:10 pm
Yeah - that makes sense. It's not a 'specific' item but it's reasonable that you would know what to collect to build the trinkets
Sep 18, 2015 1:01 pm
Alright perfect, I'll mark it on my sheet.
Dec 2, 2015 1:07 am
Hi Everyone! Biscuitfiend gave me permission to join. I have been trying to catch up on the threads so I can create my character. Looks like I should create a 5th level something with 750 gp starting, can purchase healing potions for 50 gp.

I have had a bit of trouble keeping track what is in the current party, anyone mind catching me up to speed?
Dec 2, 2015 10:14 am
Welcome, Beorn! Glad to have you join us!

Here's the current roster:
Zinnarath, half-orc rogue (Candi)
Grizel the Orphan, human paladin (me)
Victor Von Fisk, gnome wizard (PhantomNimbus)
Faelor, half-elf sorcerer (unique_exemplar)
Last edited December 2, 2015 10:21 am
Dec 2, 2015 10:16 am
Zinn is a rogue ;)
Dec 2, 2015 10:23 am
Candi says:
Zinn is a rogue ;)
Oops! Yeah, I knew that! :-P Edited my post.
Dec 2, 2015 2:13 pm
Awesome thank you :) this will help me thinking about what sort of character I want to create while I am at work :).

I was thinking either a Monk, a Barbarian, or a Cleric any particular request one way or the other?
Dec 4, 2015 1:12 am
Hi everyone, so I went with a Halfling Monk, Way of the Shadow. I went with the standard ability scores, as well as standard HP, so there were no rolls to post.

Here is my basic backstory :)

Mardak Goodbarrel grew up as an impoverished orphan within a crowded city in distant lands. During his time on the street he was beaten and mistreated frequently, often by those that deemed their selves higher born. Taken in by a ninja, looking for an apprentice to train, Mardak learned the various techniques he utilizes today. Mardak's master was a big fan of quotes, phrases, and sayings, and often had one for every situation. Often, despite the years separated from his master, Mardak finds himself quoting those same lines.

Mardak uses his skills to assist and aid the less fortunate, and is especially sensitive to helping orphans. Mardak's past experiences with wealthier individuals and higher classes has soured him to these individuals, it takes a great deal for him to trust them.
Dec 4, 2015 1:35 am
Hello everyone.

I just got to work on a human Valor Bard. I'll post more details later.
Dec 5, 2015 11:54 am
Who needs darkvision here anyway? Muahahaha!

I'll drop the two of you in together for simplicity's sake
Dec 5, 2015 3:25 pm
Im using option two for stats so Ill arrange these on my character sheet

Rolls

stat roll - (4d6)

(5224) = 13

stat roll - (4d6)

(3326) = 14

stat roll - (4d6)

(5364) = 18

stat roll - (4d6)

(4151) = 11

stat roll - (4d6)

(5543) = 17

stat roll - (4d6)

(1614) = 12

Dec 5, 2015 3:40 pm
So with dropping the lowest die roll for each that will be 11, 12, 15, 10, 14, 11.

Im using the standard option for health so there are no rolls for that.
Last edited December 6, 2015 2:57 am
Dec 6, 2015 10:02 pm
http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderRPG/PZO1129-Skald.jpg

Balder Meadmonger

A traveling drunk and storyteller, Balder grew up in a small coastal town far to the north. As a child he loved hearing stories of ferocious berskers and cunning tricksters. When he came of age he joined a crew of raiders hoping to gain fame and glory like the heroes of his childhood tales. He spent several years as a raider, and fell in love with the longships that carried him across the sea.

In his last raid Balder was severely wounded. When he finally recovered he took to the sea, the last place he felt truly. At each port he would sign on with a new ship, only staying in one place a few days at most. Now his home is the hold of a ship, or a seat in an alehouse.
Dec 6, 2015 10:50 pm
Nice addition! Thanks for the pic, he'll be on the next map
Dec 7, 2015 2:21 pm
Don't forget to submit him to the game when you're finished

You do not have permission to post in this thread.