Character Creation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jun 28, 2015 5:16 pm
Yeah, I was like . . . it's up in the chat but . . . *shrugs*, Ok.
Jun 28, 2015 6:18 pm
Names... I always get hung up on names. I should have my character sheet finished soon. Until then, here's the rest of it.

Born the son of a noble human man who fell in love with a elven woman, Falfaelor Stadelman grew up with what seemed to be the best of both worlds. Called Faelor by everyone except his mother, he was on his way to becoming a fine example of nobility just like all the others. That changed when a band of travelers came to entertain the happy family and a magical mishap exposed Faelor to raw magic. It was soon after that incident that Faelor's sorcerous powers began to appear. Sages and powerful wizards came to study Faelor to determine what was going on. To discover that he was now a sorcerer was both exciting and terrifying to Faelor. Eventually, he made sense of it and was no longer afraid. At the behest of his mother, he took to the road to further his power - always for the greater good.

Traits: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood. This has led others to love me for my kindness and generosity.
Ideal: Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.
Bond: The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.
Flaw: I have an insatiable desire for carnal pleasures.
Jun 28, 2015 6:50 pm
Rogue, Sorcerer, Fighter, Healer?, Paladin. Looks like a good mix.
Jun 28, 2015 8:01 pm
Yep...Cleric with a significant Healer focus.
Jun 29, 2015 7:58 pm
Background: Criminal
Specialization: Hired Killer
Trait: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong
Ideal: Charity: Steal from the wealthy to help those in need. Read: Kill the noble oppressors to benefit the oppressed.
Bond: Someone I love died because of a mistake I made.
Flaw: I have a "tell" that reveals when I am lying.

Sindar grew up on the streets and developed his thiefly skills by stealing food and gold to survive the mean streets. As a child, he was betrayed by a noble employer who sacrificed his Mother and a handful of other indentured workers, turning them into undead beasts that would work forever for no food or pay. The plan backfired for the lord, the zombies escaping to raise hell in the streets. Sindar sneaked into the Lord's chambers one evening and killed him for his transgressions. He then went out to help deal with the undead in the streets.
The prowess he showed that day was enough to win him future work, hunting down nests of undead and their evil masters.
Sindar is primarily motivated by helping those who cannot help themselves, though he does so in an indirect manner, slaying undead and taking contracts to eliminate oppressive necromancers, practitioners of dark arts.

EDIT: HP rolls
Last edited July 6, 2015 3:25 am

Rolls

HP lev 2-5 (d8) - (4d8)

(8364) = 21

Jul 1, 2015 4:44 am
My paladin is almost done. Juat tweaking a bit and will post later :-)
Jul 1, 2015 6:03 pm
Iskandil will be taking the place of Korag.
He always preferred solitude to the company of others, and the Culliver family respected that. They stayed away from his part of the forest, and in return, he shared the wealth of the forest with them. When winter came, he would come with medicine and apple brandy that he would trade for grain, and they knew their farm prospered at least in part thanks to his friendship.

When the Duke's man came to collect taxes, Jack Culliver showed them the charter that exempted them from payment in return for their settling the wilderness. The Duke's man left, but returned several days later with soldiers. Jack's wife Sarah and their children fled into the forest before they reached the house. Jack was taken away in chains, and the Duke's men took everything of value and put the cottage and the outbuildings to the torch.

When Sarah found Iskandil, he changed into a wolf to race ahead of the Duke's soldiers. He caught them and called up the forest against them. While they were pinned down by the very roots and grass, Iskandil released Jack, and they both retreated back into the woods.

More of the Duke's men came, and the Cullivers fled the forest into the neighboring country to start again. Iskandil stood and fought the soldiers until they finally beat him down and dragged him into their prison. When he woke, he was dragged before the Duke and beaten again. The Duke told him that the Cullivers had escaped, so he, Iskandil, was responsible for their debts and crimes. He would be hung at dawn.

He escaped in the shape of a snake, slithering through the bars and made his way safely to the trees. He returned to his cabin in the deep woods to retrieve his bow and his still. When the Duke's hunters finally found the place, he had disappeared across the border.

The Cullivers had been a popular family in their old home, and it was no different in the new land. The story of the drunk elf who stood up to the Duke and slipped away under his nose grew, but Iskandil is still looking for a new place to call home.

Personality Traits: I judge people by their actions, not their words. If someon is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help.
Ideal: Tyranst must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: A noble once gave me a horrible beating, and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially strong drink.
Last edited July 1, 2015 6:03 pm
Jul 2, 2015 12:22 am
Almost forgot to give my avatar
http://poprikoly.com/uploads/p/2015-03-21/muzhchini_mira_fentezi_vertikalnie_kartinki_-39.jpg
Jul 2, 2015 8:45 pm
Finally got my character down. For background I went with a mix of Soldier, Folk Hero, and a little bit of Criminal. You'll see why when you read the backstory. Chose Stealth & Survival as skill proficiencies granted by background.

I'm sorry, but I need some help figuring out exactly how many spells I can cast per day. I think it's 5 but does that include oath spells or not? How does that work? Never played a paladin before. Thanks!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/9d/ea/379dea7a3f67c90facd7792d5a16a20c.jpg

Grizel the Orphan
Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)

Orphaned at a very young age, Grizel was raised by Jonas, a huntsman, and his wife Ellie, a washerwoman, both in the employ of a local lord named Umbert Carnley. A strong, beautiful, willful child, Grizel became friends with everyone at the homestead and at the manor but what she loved best, to the chagrin of her adoptive mother, was spending time at the practice yard with the soldiers. In time she grew into a beautiful young woman but she would not be a washerwoman, nor a handmaid to the Lady, no! She wanted to be in the militia. The swordmaster was only too happy to take Grizel in as she proved more than a match for almost any man. Eventually she was raised up among the ranks and gifted by Lord Umbert’s son, Lord Garrett himself, with her own sword and suit of armor.

Grizel’s time in the militia opened her eyes to the tyranny of House Carnley. Growing up she had been largely sheltered from the worst of it but now she witnessed the oppression of the lowliest peasants, the back-breaking work and the even more back-breaking taxes. She herself was never sent to collect these taxes (sometimes in the form of merciless floggings or daughters brought to the manor like livestock only to be discarded when the lord or their underlings were through), but she sometimes heard her fellow soldiers boasting of their exploits. These were her friends! People she thought were good men!

One night, while Grizel lay in bed agonizing over the wrongness of it all, an injustice was visited upon her. Lord Garrett snuck into her room and raped her. She would have cried out or fought back had he not threatened to hurt dear Jonas and Ellie. Two nights later it happened again. And again. And then it was Umbert followed by Garrett. What could Grizel do? Who could she tell? Who would listen? Finally she told Jonas and Ellie but begged them not to do anything foolish. They could just run away. Grizel had saved up some money. A mistake: The next day, while Grizel was out on patrol, Jonas went to Lord Umbert himself. When Grizel returned to the manor she found both of her adoptive parents staked out in the yard, naked and beaten almost to death, while Garrett himself stood by smirking. The first person Grizel killed was the man with the flogging stick: Stevan, master of stables, a man she loved like an uncle. The next three men to die were soldiers, all friends, who drew swords on her while Garrett fled. Grizel knelt beside poor Jonas & Ellie and saw that they were beyond saving. With an anguished cry Grizel ended their suffering herself. Then she fought her way up the manor, carving a bloody swath before her to get to the filthy lords of Carnley. She took their ugly heads and flung them down at the gates. Then she burned the manor down.

Grizel knew then that from that moment, though righteous was her wrath, she had become a fugitive. She went to the kennels and slaughtered the hounds. She had loved them, each one, but they would be used to hunt her down. Next, to the stables where she let loose all the horses but her favorite charger which she saddled and away she fled, away, far, far away from that place. From that life. From that person she once was.

Trait: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching
Trait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way
Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
Flaw: Secretly, I believe that things would be better if I were a tyrant lording over the land
Last edited December 2, 2015 10:52 am
Jul 2, 2015 10:16 pm
Rich back story. Just explained spells by pm :) let me know if you need more assistance
Aug 27, 2015 6:09 pm
So.. what's the group look like?

Also, stat option 3 sounds neat... am I right understanding it like this:

I roll 4d6 for Str, roll 4d6 for dex, roll 4d6 for con, roll 4d6 for int, roll 4d6 for wis, roll 4d6 for cha.
With each 4d6 roll I drop the lowest result and sum the rest (so I get a number between 3 and 18).

My only question is what does this part mean:
"Players using this method may trade sets"
Aug 27, 2015 6:40 pm
If you and another player use that method, you can swap your numbers
Aug 27, 2015 6:48 pm
I see. So if I had hoped to play a fighter but rolled low str and con, and someone else rolled high str but low int, they could trade with me. I get it!

I only have to pick my race first though, right?
Aug 27, 2015 6:51 pm
I submitted my Rock Gnome Wizard. He is a tinker in his abilities and member of the Tinker's Guild. His guild training made him what he is today and he dabbles in magic to help him with his creations, as well as handling anything that may get in the way of him and fancy components he may need. He often tries to be witty and insightful, sometimes just seeming to spew out unrelated things to the occasion. He is very unsuited to up close fighting and spell slings from a distance, as well as offers reconnaissance and distractions of enemies and guards.

The character is a little odd in his mannerisms, has a Raven familar, and has a quarterstaff that is crowned in a bronze Raven head that he can open and close the mouth to with a button down on the staff.

These are my background traits:
Trait: I'm full of witty aphorisms and have a proverb for every occasion.
Ideal: Generosity. My talents were given to me so that I could use them to benefit the world. (Good)
Bond: I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.
Flaw: I’ll do anything to get my hands on something rare or priceless.

Here is an approximated idea of his look from Google Image Search:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/af/57/8caf57e03c77cf71dc7d8b3f8a9bdecd.jpg
Last edited August 27, 2015 6:53 pm
Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm
Question, for Victor, should he start as something more than Level 1? Seems like the game is in progress a bit.
Aug 27, 2015 7:13 pm
It is a level 5 campaign, so start there. I normally expect my players to post rolls inside the forum, as below, for stats and HP as per other rolls:

Rolls

test - (4d6)

(2363) = 14

Aug 27, 2015 7:14 pm
Sorry, I took standard array and standard number for level 1. I'll roll for new HP and such.
Aug 27, 2015 7:14 pm
I'm fine with standard array too! There are 3 methods you can use. You're welcome to use any of those. The players who started were only offered point buy, but I wanted to expand for other players :)
Aug 27, 2015 7:20 pm
Alright, new character HP is 6 plus my rolls, and I'll be updating my character sheet with more spells, spell slots, and abilities. I'll post new details when character is updated, probably later today.

Edit: Add one to rolled numbers because for first ability score increase I bumped my constitution score by one.
Last edited August 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Rolls

4 Levels worth of HP (0 con modifier) - (4d6)

(3561) = 15

Aug 27, 2015 7:50 pm
Since others are level 5 already, do I have an adjusted starting GP after the base gear my class and background grants me?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.