LMoP game thread

load previous
Sep 16, 2015 9:15 pm
It does not seem familiar. Perhaps it is an ancient, long-forgotten symbol from eras ago. It does seem strange for such a symbol to be labelled on food sacks and supplies for building, farming and trading.
Sep 17, 2015 2:02 pm
Egan eyes the newcomer suspiciously and doesn't let his guard down. He doesn't like people just randomly appearing and his nerves are still a bit frazzled. He is relieved that many of his companions are now walking about though.

"Goblins, yes..and some others as well. That one in particular was no short task." He motions with his mace to the limp body that used to be the ferocious Klarg. "What brings you to a cave in the middle of nowhere? This certainly isn't a place one just happens to find." He says, while keeping his shield at the ready.

Egan moves to Shane's unconscious body - determined to protect what little life remains in him. He feels a little responsible for his well being, considering he was the one that pushed him up into this blasted room and into danger. He certainly isn't going to let this potential threat get the jump on him.

Though, at this point, Egan isn't even sure the man is even listening to him, he seems to be quite fascinated with the crates.
Sep 17, 2015 2:03 pm
"Well, I guess I should be about my own business and leave you lads to yours." Otto saunters over to the side tunnel leading away from this cavern.
Sep 17, 2015 2:34 pm
Movith straightens up. "Wait. I am Movith Brightheart Ugunakane." Movith looks around the room. "We could use your help. We're looking for someone, and, I gather you are looking for someone or something too. I cannot speak on behalf of the others, but if you help us, I promise to return the help in kind. We need to rest and are not in a state to defend ourselves should we be attacked again. Having another healthy body around while we treat our wounds would be most beneficial. If you choose to carry on after our rest, I will accompany you for one day, helping in whatever way I can." Movith pauses for a moment, swallows, and continues, "But, if you accompany us until we find the person we seek, I will stay by your side until you find what you seek or one of us dies."

Movith coughs up a little blood. He wipes his mouth. "Please."

Movith continues, looking the stranger in the eyes. "Please know that I do not trust you. In my culture, trust is earned, not given." Then Movith says, matter-of-factly, "If you try to take advantage of us, I will crush your skull like a melon with my bare hands."

"What say you?"
Sep 17, 2015 2:52 pm
Otto grins at the big man. "Straight to the point. I like that. To be honest I usually work alone but if you folks had a bad time of it then it wouldn't be very safe for me going solo if there are more of those about." he says, gesturing at the bugbear's corpse. "I'll take your deal. Who is it that you're after, exactly?"
Sep 17, 2015 6:21 pm
"Based on our brief introductions, I think we are all in search of a dwarf by the name of Gundren Rockseeker. Gundren was responsible for transporting some cargo from Neverwinter to Phandalin. Myself, the cleric here, and the dead elf were commissioned by an interested business party to follow up on the transfer after they had not received any news of the delivery. We came across Gundren's horse on the road; clearly the site of an ambush. I assume the others," Movith gestures to Shane and Medve, "were the original group hired to bring the supplies in the first place. There also seems to be an unusually high amount of owlbear activity around, but none around his horse or the road."

Movith then states, "Now it is your turn. What or whom do you seek.
Sep 17, 2015 7:34 pm
Otto hesitates a moment but decides to come clean. He whispers conspiratorially, "I'm after something, not someone. An ancient artifact called the Forge of Spells. My research tells me that it lies somewhere in these caverns - if it ever actually existed, that is."
Sep 17, 2015 9:30 pm
With a loud groan and with the help of his staff Medve slowly works his way to a standing position. He gives a quick glance to the new comer and wonders how many more people will just turn up out of the blue during his trek. As he edges his way over to Egan he says "I'll be of no help to my halfling friend until we've been able to rest a while. Once we've figured out the intentions of our visitor perhaps we should find a safe place to rest."
Last edited September 17, 2015 11:07 pm
Sep 18, 2015 6:23 am
"So I take it this stuff isn't your Gundren's cargo." Otto is looking the sacks and crates over idly when he spots the jade figurine. "Hello, what's that? May I take a closer look? I know a thing or two about these things."

Rolls

History - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Religion - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Sep 18, 2015 12:01 pm
Movith and Otto gain inspiration. Especially Movith - picking up that sword is a cool gesture. Maybe it will come in later

Otto has heard of the Troglodyte god being some kind of toad. Perhaps it is linked to those creatures? Nothing seems magical about this item, although it does seem like it could be a talisman of some kind. There is nothing to indicate that it is not just decorative.

Nobody seems to be aware of your conversation, as the calming sound of waterfall and running stream fill the cave, masking your gentle echoes.
Sep 20, 2015 10:29 pm
Egan sighs with relief at the tentative agreement Movith seems to have tendered with the new guy.

He leans over to Medve and says, "I agree. Perhaps this is as good of a place as any? We have a fire already burning, and we have lots of crates we could hide behind, while keeping watch on the entrances."

Egan clears his throat and speaks a little louder for all people to hear. "Right then, perhaps we could rest here? I'll stand watch with this gentleman...sorry I didn't catch your name?" He looks at the man examining the jade statue expectantly.
Last edited September 20, 2015 10:29 pm
Sep 21, 2015 5:30 am
"I'm Otto. Otto Rahn. Pleased to meet you." The newcomer is not a particularly charming man, but has a casual easy-going manner about him that puts most people at ease. On the other hand, he wears a permanently bemused expression that annoys some people.
Sep 21, 2015 7:35 am
You set up camp for rest in the cave, opening your rations and setting down your equipment. Shane looks completely knocked out but still benefits from the warmth of the fire.

You think you hear footsteps in the cave somewhere, and it's not long before a band of goblins show up.

There are 9 of them. Their teeth are all filed into spikes, and are brandishing shield, sword and bow, but not aggressively. One stands in front as the leader:

"Human dirt-filths! You kill the Klarg now?"
Sep 21, 2015 5:03 pm
Otto has no idea what "the klarg" means but he knows the fight his new friends just survived - claiming the life of one of their number - involved goblins. He stays completely still but his hand slowly goes to his crossbow. If there's to be a fight then by Akadi's breath Otto would strike first.
OOC: Indy (er...Han) shot first!
Quote:
Rangers strike first and strike hard. When you roll initiative, you gain a special turn that takes place before other creatures can act. On this turn, you can use your action to take either the Attack or Hide action.
Last edited September 21, 2015 9:59 pm
Sep 21, 2015 9:54 pm
As the goblins enter, Medve slowly get to his feet. Passing Egan he lowers his hand and touches his shoulder, casting the Guidance cantrip on his comrade. He gets as close to the goblins as he dares before asking, "Which one is Klarg?"
Sep 21, 2015 10:10 pm
"Klarg is bugbear. Big one. Big bully bad one. He lead Cragmaw Tribe. But you kill him! And now Yeemik is Cragmaw chief.

You kill our kind too. But we release you. If you leave with own things. Treasure barrels is our Cragmaw things!

Or, we spike your heads and eat your gutsssss"
Sep 21, 2015 10:47 pm
Otto is tensed like a coiled viper waiting to strike. He is reading his companions' body language. If any of them make an aggressive move he will attack the goblin leader.
OOC: I don't know if, to match my narration above, mechanically I should be readying an action or not. If yes, the readied action is an Attack (crossbow first, followed by a trip attack with the whip). The trigger is any of the PC's launch an offense.
Quote:
Ambuscade - Rangers strike first and strike hard. When you roll initiative, you gain a special turn that takes place before other creatures can act. On this turn, you can use your action to take either the Attack or Hide action.
Last edited September 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Rolls

Hand Crossbow - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

crossbow is probably a miss but rolling damage anyway - (1d6+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Trip (shove) attack with whip - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Sep 21, 2015 11:52 pm
"Actually," Movith draws himself up to his full height and sticks out his chest, "my little friend Egan here is the one who killed Klarg. Where I'm from, that makes him the new chief. And, I am his loyal champion." Movith steps just slightly more forward than Medve.

"Now, I imagine that I could talk him into conceding leadership of the tribe to you in exchange for some provisions and information. Should you wish to challenge his claim, however," Movith begins tracing the runes on his hammer, "you would be required to fight in a duel, one versus one, until one person is incapacitated." Movith then scowls menacingly. "And, Chief Egan gets to choose a champion to represent him in this duel."

"So, here are your options: One, give us some medicines and information and become chief without any more bloodshed. Two, fight me one on one and certainly perish. Three, your little band here can attack, and I can see how many of your spines I can snap in half with one swing."
Last edited September 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Rolls

Intimidate - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Intimidate (inspiration advantage) - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am
Most of the goblins behind stare blankly, wincing with almost real pain when they hear Movith talk of such violence. Perhaps they are used to cowering at threats.

"You speak many mouth-words about your customs! But you come in our Cragmaw cave and tell us terms for DUEL!!

Yeemik is shaking nervously and barely hiding it. He hasn't noticed that most of your group are not in a fighting state. Some of the goblins are clutching their weapons with obvious uncertainty.

"We have no medicine. Klarg take all medicine and hide. I have better solution. You no hurt us or snap our legs. And we not fill you with arrows. But we give you human person prize. Lord-man name Sil-dar. We give to you and he give you his money things. But you never come back!!!"

Movith gains inspiration again

Rolls

Secret Roll

Sep 22, 2015 2:17 pm
"That sounds reasonable. Obviously, I will have to check with Chief Egan and his councilors to see if that is enough return for relinquishing his chiefdom."

Movith backs from the goblins and gathers the group together in a huddle, making sure not to take his eyes off the one who's been talking.

"It seems like a good plan. I'm not sure how many of them I could take out given my current injuries. Unfortunately, it would preclude us from searching for your Forge, Otto. I still need a rest, but it would likely be safer to rest elsewhere. What say you all?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.