The Temple of Elemental Evil game thread

load previous
Jul 12, 2015 1:46 am
When the innkeeper is available, Johnny will pay for a common room and a common meal, but he is interested in hearing what the innkeeper has to say about the rumors.

Once the innkeeper is finished he will turn to those of the party that are there and ask "Everyone seems to be settling in at the moment, do you guys want to meet up in an hour, once everyone has had a chance to get settled, and discuss the leads that we have and which ones we want to run do first?"

After that he will start moving his gear into his room and organise stabling for his donkey
Last edited July 12, 2015 1:46 am
Jul 12, 2015 2:37 pm
http://s8.postimg.org/fhjocfvgj/Screenshot_2015_07_12_16_17_58.png

"Communal beds are 1 silver a head. If y'prefer I can settle some bedding in your room. Enough for three heads. Simpler food for 1 silver a head, unless yer working them too hard...also, anyone with mounts, go speak to the stablemen outside and hand the slender fellow five silvers"

Anrin is charged 4cp for a mug of mead, and counts all labourers among the crowd. A sprig of mistletoe hangs, obvious but not imposing, from above a gently crackling fireplace. "Halt, kind fellow, I see thy shield. A knight of Celene, no less a Brother of the Unicorn. I heard of them being a little taller though. Regardless, I am glad such an entity has responded to us in this time of danger, for who knows what could occur again in hommlet?" A few faces look up and the notion surely enters a few conversations. The woman is indeed a forester, and recounts that the woods to the east out of the village have been left unchecked due to bandits raising their activities, and that even the rangers of the Gnarley Forest have stayed away from the northern Gnarley. She keeps her activities closer to hommlet and has to travel quietly, with hired protection. There is also a younger man drinking at his bar, a little past his sensibilities.

Players may choose to spend their daily lifestyle expenses, or pay seperately for each meal/stay. 8sp = a modest room and modest meal

The day is still welcoming you outside, and the barkeep arranges for your rooming tonight. The stableboy and groom outside are free for care of mounts.
http://s9.postimg.org/yxnvfsjrx/Screenshot_2015_07_12_16_15_26.png
Jul 12, 2015 6:02 pm
Anrin replies in a low voice to Matthias, "You may be right, but so far I have met only honest village folk. From what the forester says, evil lurks outside the village. But we should be vigilant in any case."

To the forester, Anrin offers his understanding and support - and gracefully ignores the comment about his being a halfling - adding, "Who are these bandits? Men or humanoids? Does anyone have any idea where they might be based? The north of the Gnarley Forest, from what you said. How long since their raids got more frequent?"

To the younger man at the bar, he says, "Haven't you had enough already, Elmo?"

Whilst in Hommlett, Anrin will have a modest lifestyle - happy to pay the 1GP a day and not count the pennies!
Jul 12, 2015 6:33 pm
A man, a farmer, speaks up: "the bandits are only men. It's been a year now since they showed up. Mainly on the east road towards Nulb. If no-one has the muscle to drive them away, of course they'll show up now and again. The only militia we have here are retired, or hired hands!"

Another man: "Well, we will certainly be grateful to the elves now that they've sent to drive them off."

"Are we to assume that's who these strangers are?"

They sip from tankards with regularity, swilling the golden liquid and spilling it on their clothing.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jul 12, 2015 6:36 pm
Matthias will order an ale and listen quietly to the conversation going on around him, specifically watching for any suspicious people.

Matthias will also take a modest lifestyle while here
Last edited July 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Insight - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Jul 12, 2015 9:56 pm
It seems you have the right man. He seems stronger than you expected, but is unarmoured, and only brandishes an ornate dagger by his side, within his reach. "NO...no no no, I am FINE friend....hey fellow, shiny armour. I like it. Verymuch. You...you new here?"

This strikes Matthias as odd. He doesn't sip like a drunkard, or have the stench of ale; he seems to have been paying attention to your conversations though, judging from his movements at the bar.
Jul 13, 2015 4:44 pm
Anrin, oblivious to Elmo's possible deception, answers one of the other men first, "It is true, I have been sent by the elves of Celene to investigate rumours of growing evil around Hommlet. I cannot speak for my travelling companions, as we are only recently acquainted."

With Elmo he tries to keep a friendly tone, but finds it hard to hide the disdain in his voice, "Yes, I'm new here. And you have a good eye for fine armour. Good evening, and good health!"

With that Anrin gets up from the bar and moves to join the talkative people in the middle of the room, scrambling up onto a human-sized seat and sipping his mead. "Have you had any other troubles of late, apart from the bandits?"
Jul 13, 2015 4:50 pm
Matthias will keep a close eye on Elmo, not trusting his intentions at all. He will attempt to be inconspicuous with his watching.

Adding rolls, just in case:
Last edited July 13, 2015 4:56 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Insight - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Jul 13, 2015 5:55 pm
Sanora and her acquire Raheen enter. Sanora saunters over to the bar with little heed of who is in the room. She waits patiently and orders an ale for herself and Raheen. The squire however seems very interested in everyone, peering at anyone he has not met before, as though his gaze can pierce the exterior shell and reveal the truth of their innermost souls.

After receiving her beverages Sanora walks over to Raheen and shoves one into his hands. The younger elf is surprised and looks down at his drink like he has no idea where it came from. Sanora flicks his ear quickly and tells him to sit. He finds a spot for them near Matthias. Once seated the monk speaks in a hush tons to Raheen. "Be mindful of your surroundings at all times, Raheen. This is a quiet place, but dangers may yet lurk in unexpected shadows."
Jul 13, 2015 8:01 pm
The commoners look up in amazement, staring at each other, a little bemused. "Well, I'm glad they sent one!" Another inebriated individual quips: "Half of one, Groud?" And the room erupts in laughter, with several of the folk restraining themselves in quiet respect, where others could not with bellies full of beer and good food. "We mean no offense, little fellow, we are just...just, playing. We are glad to have you and your circus band here." "...they have weaponry, you fool!.." "...Hey there, lady? How do I get boot-lickers like yours?.." "You can barely feed your own mouth, mug!"

You feel like the bar atmosphere is getting a little bit heated. A few individuals, the forester included, begin to stir and walk out of the room. "These folk are probably the only danger to you, other than the bandits", she replies, while leaving.

Elmo looks uncomfortable, and takes a winky-eyed look around the room. He groans, coughs, and lays low on the bar. He is quite still and does not seem to be swaying, as he seems to be forcing a new defensive composure. He hasn't noticed you checking him.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Jul 13, 2015 11:36 pm
Raheen reddens to the color of a radish at the term "bootlicker" but he is well disciplined and when he hears Sanora's gentle "tchk-tchk-tchk" of her tongue on the back of her teeth, he visibly relaxes and begins to become his normal color. Other than that Sanora seems to give no notice of the hurled insults or the tension in the room. Her high-elf haughtiness is on full blast here without actually doing or saying anything.
Last edited July 13, 2015 11:38 pm
Jul 14, 2015 5:20 am
Sensing the tension in the air Johnny nervously ( but trying to conceal it roll below ) says

"Well it seems that the villagers here are just as foolish and ignorant as villagers anywhere else. I guess grubbing around in fields all day doesn't do much for your manners".

I was hoping my personality choice might take a little longer to get me into trouble ;-)

Based on my current cash reserves and the fact that I have to have a donkey, I am going to have to go communal room and cheap food. Johnny will ask ( when the situation permits ) Anrin if he can leave certain items with him in his room while he is in town, at least until he can afford better accomodations
Last edited July 14, 2015 5:23 am

Rolls

Deception - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jul 14, 2015 11:59 am
Johnny is granted inspiration

"Who you calling ignorant, bub?" Stirs a tiny but stocky human woman. "You for'ners barge into our establiushhhhment and come t'lecture us on manners? We got's a certain way'o'dealing with manners"

The man at the bar throws a metal tankard to the floor for effect, and cautions: "easy, easy now folk"

Elmo faintly looks at members of your party, and his dazed look is mixed with intrigue.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jul 14, 2015 3:33 pm
Anrin is about as shocked at Johnny's comment as anyone in the tavern. He tries to take control of the situation using his charm with the common people.

"Good people of Hommlet, my companion has had too much too drink and doesn't know what he's saying. But we all like a good drink, eh?" He pauses for dramatic effect. "No-one respects your village ways more than us. For we have come here to protect your way of life from any who would threaten it. Now why don't we all settle down and enjoy our drinks. Barkeep - drinks for everyone, courtesy of your visitors!"
As mead cost 4cp, and there can't be more than 20-30 people here (right?) I'm hoping this isn't too financially catastrophic :-) Anrin fully intends to pay the full cost himself.
Last edited July 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Jul 14, 2015 3:56 pm
"Anrin is granted inspiration

There are 9 other folk here if you include Elmo. The barkeep hurries to work and prepares another barrel on the shelf. "Thank ye kindly Sir. Name's Ostler".

"Can't be arguin' w'that" says an older fellow, a little sheepishly.
Jul 14, 2015 4:02 pm
Matthias will catch Anrin's eye and give an approving nod. He will then stand and raise his mug in toast, "To good mead and better company!", he will then down the rest of his drink. "Next round is on me, so drink up!"

During all of this he will keep an eye on how Elmo reacts to everything that's going on.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Insight - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Jul 14, 2015 4:22 pm
Elmo downs his current drink, grabs another from Anrin's round, and stumbles out the door whilst downing that one too. "Timeshh be ticken!" he proclaims, and lets the empty tankard clatter on the floor by the entrance. He is nearly tripping over his own feet, and briefly leans himself against the door on the way out.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Jul 15, 2015 1:01 pm
Matthias will begin to relax a little bit now that Elmo is gone. He will attempt to strike up conversations with people, just on the general state of the town, avoiding anything about the darker rumors surrounding the town.

He wants to learn about the place he's going to be staying, the interesting places and important players in town. His interest has been raised and as his thirst for knowledge takes over, his attention becomes highly focused on learning as much as possible, to the detriment of everything else.
Last edited July 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 15, 2015 4:59 pm
Anrin is concerned for the wellbeing of the 12 year-old lad, and so leaves the front door of the tavern as if to follow the call of nature. He looks down the road to observe how Elmo treats the lad, moving closer if need be but trying to remain unobserved. His armour clinks uncomfortably - why did they make him wear this impractical stuff when they made him a paladin?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Stealth (disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Stealth (disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Jul 16, 2015 1:28 am
Johnny feels hard done by that blame was pushed back on him, but is clever enough to realize that he dodged a bullet there. He heads out to the stables to organize stabling for his donkey, mumbling under his breath about how unfair it all is and how "Old" people don't understand ( teenage point of view )
Last edited July 16, 2015 1:29 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.