The Temple of Elemental Evil game thread

load previous
Jul 16, 2015 11:01 am
I forgot - Sanora is granted inspiration as she cares for those beneath her
Matthias is granted inspiration as he searches for thorough knowledge, which is not found in books alone.

You sit down amongst the common people, and feel more at home now, soaking in the environment. This large place is truly bright and cheerful. It contains several rough-hewn tables and chairs, boards, and benches. Natural tree trunk pillars support the ceiling overhead, all dark with smoke and age.
Poisoned by ale, the motley group talk freely, now distracted by your sudden interest in Hommlet. It's hard to determine how much is genuine fact or hearsay: You learn that there are many folk here of the Old Faith, and many who serve St. Cuthbert, who wields a club. "Brother Smyth" makes weaponry but is also an assistant to the druid of the grove, who lives in the wooded area of Hommlet. The banner of Hommlet shows a green field with two acorns above a sheaf of grain - suggesting which was normally the most prominent religion. There does not seem to be great conflict between the two and the faith of St. Cuthbert seems to have brought an added element of order to the town, including recruiting militiamen for the village's protection. Among the workforce there is a weaver, a tailor, a carter, a trading post, a moneychanger, potter, cabinet maker, and there are many farmers and herdsmen.

They complain about Rannos and Gremag at the trading post charging higher prices for their goods, but are glad that more are available. They also have men for hire should they be needed by an adventuring party such as your own.

They also sing the praises of Rufus the Fighter, and Burne the magic-user, who dwell in the guard tower to the east of the village. They have done much to protect Hommlet in the 3 years they have been here and even once slew a Green Dragon. Also, the village elder is known for being a little too secretive about local operations. "If ye hang around til' evening here, y'might meet some more interesting characters".

Anrin heads outside, and Elmo is gone. He must have really run to be clear from view. Johnny passes behind you to arrange for stabling, which only distracts you for a second, but then Elmo is there again. He only wandered around the side of the building.

"Hey. HEY. f'you heading out f'r adventures, an' need some muscle...ye jus' need t'lend me some arm'r. Chain arm'r and a BIG axe. An' a few coppers here'n'there for a pint o'mead a' the end of it. Wha- je- just find me, kay?"
Jul 16, 2015 3:31 pm
Anrin's eyes narrow, but he tries to stay cordial. "Where do you live, friend? That way we'll know where to find you." He is suspicious of what Elmo was doing snooping around near the building, and tries to unobtrusively take a good look at him to see if he might have stolen anything.
Last edited July 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Rolls

Deception ('unobtrusively') - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Perception ('take a good look') - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Jul 16, 2015 5:14 pm
As the attitude of the locals improves so does Sanora's. She will swap tales of life in the order as the locals tell of their day to day lives (as was described above). At the mention of the dragon slaying by Rufus and Burne, both she and Raheen perk up a bit more and ask questions about the deed and the men behind it.
Jul 17, 2015 9:01 am
Elmo does not appear to have taken anything, but is oblivious to your quick search. "Jus' down there...will be back in Welc...welcome wench later..."

It turns out that several things have changed recently, for better or worse, and the talk of the town has not yet subsided back to mundane things. "Canoness Y'dey, the chief cleric of the new church of St. Cuthbert, left unexpectedly and has not returned...now the place is not so inviting with Canon Terjon in place. He is stern as a rod and not a particularly friendly character..."

Jaroo Ashstaff, the Druid of the Grove, is a recent arrival. He is well liked but is often asking for alms to be given. The villagers are more uncomfortable about new faces appearing in town, including a carpenter and stonemason.

It seems they never really accept new arrivals no matter how long they have settled. The arrivals are partly to do with Hommlet having a castle built on the East side of town, the Tower being the only complete structure. Some villagers contribute half a day's labour every week, but it's mostly done by labourers in tents nearby, who they feel are disturbing their life here.

You hear further exploits of Rufus and Burne. They recently erected a village hall for feasts and councils, and they grumble along with their excitement, not being sure if the changes are good.

The poisonous dragon preyed in the Kron Hills to the West, the domain of a large gnomish population. It was said they gained considerable treasure from it. It was only one of their great successes, another being defeating a large bandit force which had plagued Verbobonc to the north, which brought gratitude here and led to the church being built.
Jul 17, 2015 1:49 pm
Matthias will prod for more information about the castle that's being built (why and by who?), as well as what happened to Canoness Y'dey (did she announce she was leaving or was she just gone one day).
Jul 17, 2015 3:56 pm
I walk inside the tavern with a rushed image being adopted to my stumble into the bar but I quickly pick myself up and walk over to Sanora, Loudly and joyfully saying "I truely am sorry for my late bearing. I see yer making acquaintance of the townsfolk old friend." while approaching her. When i get to her i put my hand on her shoulder and say to our fellow patrons "This one always was a pistol, *pats shoulder strongly* i hope she isnt troubling ye fellas. how about a round of drinks, on me?!
Jul 17, 2015 5:02 pm
"Very he generous of you. And well timed." Sanora places her empty cup on the table. "We however are all getting along just fine. There is tale of two locals who have slain a dragon. Raheen and I plan on visiting them later to hear the story first hand."
Jul 17, 2015 5:19 pm
"Please let me know before you leave to visit them, I'd love to go with you and hear that story." Matthias will raise his mug to the Darf and smile, "Good to see you, friend!"
Last edited July 28, 2015 4:28 pm
Jul 17, 2015 5:27 pm
Anrin waits to see if Elmo really goes home, and if the young lad is outside to make sure that Elmo doesn't mistreat him. If Elmo returns home peacefully, Anrin returns to the Welcome Wench.
Jul 17, 2015 11:55 pm
Darf says to Sanora, "I didn't expect to see ye here, i was just stopping by for the wonderfully delectable provisions. So what brings you to town yourself?"
Jul 18, 2015 1:04 am
Matthias will stand up and hold out his hand to shake Darf's, "My name is Matthias, its good to meet you. I take it you're a friend of Sanora's? Any friend of hers is alright in my book"
Jul 18, 2015 2:23 am
"A friend? Haha, this woman guided me through the most challenging part of my life, 'friend' is grand understatement! I shake his hand firmly and put my focus back on Sanora.
Jul 18, 2015 7:24 am
"Hommlet's FAMOUS now. Cassle? Why NOT?"
"Don't wan't th' evil temple thinkin' we a target again. Not tha' there be much o' that place left now - sealed up'n'all it is".
"The lady Canoness Y'dey gone takin' a break from duties - s'battical. She'll be back".

Elmo stumbles home like he has a sprained ankle, but he is most likely just too drunk to walk. The day is still not up so perhaps he will return later.

The crowd are once again distracted by the new arrival. "Dwarfen one now too? This be startin' too look like ten years ago. Maybe this lot brought'n army?"

They laugh at their in-joke, and you recall news of the events ten years ago when the neighbouring nations brought an end to the hoard of elemental evil in a dramatic battle, sealing up the temple and even imprisoning a demoness of some sort.
Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm
Anrin watches Elmo go, then turns and goes back into the tavern. He catches the tail end of the story of the battle and the temple as he rejoins his companions.

He waits for a suitable break in the general conversation then turns to his companions and says, "Well, who would like to join me on a stroll around the village before evening time? I am minded to visit the woodcutter at least - he may know more about what has been going on with the bandits, or at least he and I can talk about our related trades." Anrin almost absent-mindedly takes out a beautiful miniature stag, carved from walnut, out of his pocket. "And maybe you've got your own ideas of folk we could visit? A stroll is always so much more pleasant in company."
Last edited July 18, 2015 4:13 pm
Jul 18, 2015 4:51 pm
"It was nice meeting you good dwarf, I'll have to hear of your and Sanora's story another day, I could use some fresh air," Matthias will place his mug on the table and approach Anrin, "I'll go with you, I'd like to explore a bit of the town before we retire.
Jul 20, 2015 5:16 pm
Ostler makes some extra room on the bar now that Elmo is gone, he re-arranges some of the jars on the trestle, and you notice boiled eggs, cheeses, and hard biscuits. A serving girl carries mutton, hanging from pole in one hand, and trout stuffed with specially prepared mixtures dangling from a pole in her other hand. She takes them through the door to the cooking pot outside, and you anticipate that the smell of delicious meats will fill the village this evening. It seems that the regular visitors to the Wench are accustomed to finer foods than most.

He asks Darf for 36cp for the 9 pints he poured, and goes to the barrel, changing one out for another under the counter.

A few minutes later, Ostler declares: "Well, that's the last o' the Greyhawk suds! Back to the fineries of Veluna and Verbobonc, Nyrond and Keolund! Fresh arrivals from a fine southern merchant" With that, he places a larger board listing the new prices on food.

Meals
Breakfast, plain 5 cp
Breakfast, elaborate 2s
Dinner, plain 5 sp
Dinner, elaborate 1 ep
Dinner, 7 course 2 gp
Supper, plain 3 sp
Supper, elaborate 7 sp

Common Drink(per pint)
Ale 2 sp
Ale, special 1 ep
Beer, small 5 cp
Beer, heavy 1 sp
Mead 1 ep
Mead, special brew 15 sp

Wines(per pint)
Table, local 1 ep
Keoish golden 15 sp
Sundish lilac 5 ep
Urnst white 1 gp
Celene ruby 2 gp
Furyondian emerald pale 4 gp
Velunan fireamber 1 pp

Brandies(per gill)
Local 1 ep
Keoish 1 gp
Urnst(special aged) 3 gp

Liqueur
Ulek Elixir, 1/2 gill 5 gp

John notices a great black warhorse in stables. There may be powerful fighters here on expeditions or arms up for hire.
Jul 21, 2015 1:34 am
"Anyone going to come with us? Could be a good way to get an idea of what it's like in town, I'll be ready to go as soon as I go check on my horse, don't leave without me." Matthias will head out to the stables to ensure that his horse is being well taken care of. After he takes care of the horse he will return, "Everyone ready to go?"
Jul 21, 2015 2:07 am
As Darf flicks a golden piece to Ostler, with a noticeable bravado in his motion, he says " That should take care o' me bidding for the night." He turns to matthias and says "At any rate i am quite eager to inquire about that dragons tale. I might as well join the company."
Last edited July 21, 2015 2:15 am
Jul 21, 2015 6:50 am
"Indeed. Let us do try to visit before it gets to late. Raheen, let us go with young Darf and the others to see what tales of valor we might uncover, shall we?!"

With that the two high elves make ready to go.
Jul 21, 2015 1:19 pm
You estimate that it would be sensible to visit up to 3 locations before retiring, but more if you split the group. That would be enough time to return to the Wench for the evening's revelries or to get an early start for whatever adventures may be possible tomorrow.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.