The Temple of Elemental Evil game thread

load previous
Jul 28, 2015 3:47 pm
Yes - I'll keep things moving as you have many more locations to visit!

A few hundred feet down the east road lies the carpenter's shop. The sign before this place shows a saw and hammer. The building appears newly constructed.

You enter inside, and he appears very busy. The carpenter often works for other craftsmen in town, and is currently at work on barrel staves. Another man, perhaps his younger brother, is with him.
Jul 29, 2015 2:24 pm
"Agreed, we thank you for your council, venerable one, but I for one am anxious to meet the dragon slayers who guard your town. If the bandits we seek are as formidable as they seem I would like to take that tale with me and sing their praises in the great beyond."

Yes I agree to move on unless the druid has more to say, or there is a question someone hasn't gotten to ask. Sorry for being quiet, I fell victim to the glitch yesterday and then work was busy.
Jul 29, 2015 4:14 pm
Anrin would like to talk to the craftsmen, but also respects how busy they are. He raises his eyebrows and asks his companions, "Maybe we should hurry along to the adventurers in the tower, and come back here when things are a bit quieter?"
Jul 29, 2015 4:23 pm
"They do appear to be quite busy in here, it may be best to come back later, I'd hate to interrupt their work." Matthias will turn and quietly leave the building.
Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm
The carpenter realises you were just curious, and returns to his work. You head towards the tower. The last building on your left is well-crafted stone dwelling seems recently built. It is set off from the road by a low stone wall. No animals are seen, but some children are playing in the yard.

You can see a number of poor-looking fellows in the distance, along with various tradesmen and skilled workers, who are gathered in tents before the woods. These must be the workers who are building the castle. Some are returning from the site, some are returning, and others are working.

Here are the beginnings of a smallish castle, being built around a new tower atop the low mound. Workers have dug deep trench lines about ten feet wide and as deep, down to a hard clay. They seem to be in the process of mortaring the foundations of the wall to be built above. Work has barely begun, but the outlines of bastions, towers, a gatehouse and a keep can be noted.

The keep is atop the second hillock, and considerable excavation has taken place. The earth from this digging has been used in the walls around the whole. Some dressed stone blocks are visible, but not similar to local stone. On the nearer hillock, you see a completed tower.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YvrI-aOO3wg/U-NjKZTbGgI/AAAAAAAAAjA/7EblpdF_HF8/s1600/Hommlet+Tower.jpg
This structure is some 55 feet tall, a smaller tower rising inside the greater at about 35 feet above the ground. Its entrance is accessible only by going up a curving flight of stone stairs which terminate in a landing about 10 feet above the ground. The outer door of the tower lowers to form a bridge to the stone landing. There are numbers of arrow slits around the tower, and it has a splay around the base to about 6 feet in height. The lower and upper battlements are machicolated, the merlons being pierced for archery as well. Two men-at-arms watch from its roof.
Jul 30, 2015 4:15 am
"i dont suppose it would be of any inconvenience for a good sir like yourself to aid us in our search for rufus the fighter and burne the magic user would it? says darf as he approaches one of the tradesmen."I hear they have tales of valor as juicy as a five pound slab of mutton, and upon pondering about how absorbing a good story can be i have been in anticipation for hours.
Last edited July 30, 2015 4:16 am
Jul 30, 2015 4:18 am
Pursuasion if needed

Rolls

Pursued - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Jul 30, 2015 1:20 pm
"Yes, m'lad. You'll find the two up in tha' tower. I wouldn'a go rushin in though. Burne's Badgers. Burne pardoned a bunch'o brigands, now bein' in his employ. Havin' a'revelries t'day, an' any who cross th'badgers come back with scar or two. If y'have important business with them you'd best get th'word of the Elder o' the village, an' they be sure to assist fer a good cause".

Now he mentions it, you can hear the whistle of a flute coming from the tower, and muffled chatter and clanging tankards. The workers outside, however, look less than celebratory.
Jul 30, 2015 5:47 pm
Anrin bristles at the sense of social injustice. "And are Rufus and Burne good employers? Why are they feasting whilst you are slaving? And what do you think of them throwing their lot in with former bandits?"
Jul 30, 2015 6:24 pm
"Better they be protectin' us than robbing us. I can't speak for them but they hung around an' follow orders'n'all so I 'spect they are paid well. Hard work, these trenches, but 'tis fodder on table and our lives are guaranteed, which may not be true in th' walls o' Greyhawk".
Jul 31, 2015 5:44 am
"It may be for the best to just come back tomorrow, when the festivities have died down and we've had a chance to speak to the Elder." Matthias will say to the party, though it's obvious that he is upset about having to turn away at this point when they're so close to some very obviously interesting tales. He will then say to the worker, "Thank you for the information, and we will certainly heed your warning about these 'Badgers'"
Jul 31, 2015 8:21 am
"Much obliged friend. Rufus leads the militia here, and a man called Ostler is some kind of officer. P'haps go speaking to him? He owns th'Welcome Wench. Som'times goes there late even'n when t'evening dies down."
Jul 31, 2015 6:01 pm
Anrin says in a loud voice,"To the inn!", then continues in a quieter tone to his companions, "It seems Ostler wasn't telling us everything about himself before... Who else in this village is more than they appear?"
Jul 31, 2015 8:08 pm
"Aye, there be many militiamen in town, in case be problems w'the Temple one day, or bandits. Not all of them have their youth, but a fellow with a sword an' chain mail is better than none. Many fought in the great battle ten years ago, an' now they go about their normal purposes, bu' ready to defend when th'time comes!"

Your visits were not all as fruitful as you had hoped, but the smell of cooking meats from the Welcome Wench is inviting, and makes the several minutes walk back to the Inn more pleasant. The darkening sky tells you it is time for retreat, to recover from your very lengthy journey so that adventures can begin tomorrow. When you arrive, a second warhorse, along with a mule, appear to have been stabled as well. There appears to be a little more commotion inside, but it is of the more civil kind. The sound of clacking plates, low chatter and hearty laughter draws you inside.

Just over two dozen Patrons fill the bar. About half appear to be local folk, and the other half are merchants, tinkers, peddlers and other travellers. Not many appear to be adventurers. One man in brown robes appears to be studying a scroll carefully, alone on a bench away from the tables. You also spot a hulking fighter at one of the tables, but what is more peculiar is a small but thin Bakluni fellow beside him. He has the trademark Bakluni features of golden skin and slightly chromatic hair and eyes, and is also holding a quarterstaff as if waiting for an attack. You catch the tail end of his conversation: "Something must be done soon!"

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Aug 2, 2015 2:41 am
Concerned what the bukluni and his friend are talking about Darf takes a close look at them and tries to keep a close eye as he approaches the bar and orders a drink.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Aug 2, 2015 10:57 am
http://tbx.me/B43ZXw.png
"Kobort, you said there were some adventurers here. Where are they? We have no chance by ourselves"

The others in the room seem a bit sheepish. Elmo walks in, trying to tie his drawstrings as he pauses by the door.
Aug 2, 2015 10:59 am
"I don't know Turuko. Mebbe gone out there 'lready? It's too dark t'go looking now..."
Aug 3, 2015 2:17 pm
Anrin hears the magic word of "help needed" and immediately approaches the two adventurers with a broad smile, "If it's help you need defeating the evil which has begun to plague this area again, look no further than me. Anrin's the name, a humble Gallant of the Order of the Unicorn, at your service."

Anrin is still not paying any particular attention to Elmo. Although he dislikes him, he does not suspect him of anything other than the mistreatment of his employees.
Last edited August 3, 2015 2:18 pm
Aug 3, 2015 2:22 pm
Seeing Anrin immediately approach the adventurers, Matthias will quickly order an ale and follow Anrin to the table to see what's going on. "And my name is Matthias, companion of Anrin, seeking to lend what aid we may in these troubled times.".
Aug 3, 2015 6:29 pm
"Yes, yes! Are these the ones you spoke of Kobort? It matters not. Greetings, Sir Knight and his...kindly rabble. We are in humble need of assistance. You speak of evil, which means you must know of bandit activity on the East road. There's a nest of them somewhere, and I need them dead. I mean, doesn't Hommlet and it's other merchants and townsfolk? Perhaps we could try the old moathouse. What say you to a joint expedition to quench this evil?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.