Mission - [Holt] - In the Mist and Shadows

Jul 14, 2015 12:32 pm
0200 Central Standard Time Conference room of the Oblivion Nebraska Office.

After six weeks they finally let you into the field to do work. It didn’t seem needed but it did build on the needed skills most field agents relied on to do the job. The time at the academy seems a bit of a blur a rushed boot camp of sorts to make even a radio station disc jockey capable of doing this type of work in the field. You’re surprised to get an early call before for your first actual day on the job and are told to report into work and go to the conference room. It’s definitely too early to be an orientation briefing... You’re pretty sure the organization wouldn’t likely be into hazing as well. Thoughts come to mind about the one really peculiar thing about this job… why’d they station you in Nebraska of all places? Getting into the office you find a small conference room with several chairs around a table. Everything in stark white and lack of a clock make you realize you could lose track of time in a place like this. There didn't seem to be many people in the office in the early hours, no one else seems to be in the room as the white soft office lights flicker on in the conference room as you walk in.
Jul 16, 2015 2:18 am
Ellis walked into the conference room looking a bit haggard. Then again, it was 2 AM and he hadn't even had a chance to sleep. He pulled out a chair opposite the door so he could see anyone who came in, kicked his feet up on the table ... and waited. After awhile he sat upright and started sketching notes to himself on the surface of the conference table. Using a stylus from an ancient Palm Pilot as if it were a pen, Ellis "wrote" and used his mind to pretend that there was ink in the tip of the stylus. He found that he could draw and doodle to pass the time like that a long time ago.

Ellis wrote what he knew.

Mysterious organization, sudden recruitment, bootcamp, unknown day job, stationed in the middle of nowhere, no orientation (yet), clean enough a janitor would be out of a job...

It wasn't much. What little he knew barely whet his curiosity. I wonder what their job retention is like, he mused.
Jul 16, 2015 4:03 pm
(OoC: This for the most part if the full brief and it's a data dump in truth)

An older gentlemen walks into conference room in a white suit with a red tie. His gray hair is cut in a military fashion streaked with white, a short well groomed thin beard and moustache adorn a face hiding several scars it seems unless one stares at him directly for too long. Sitting down he unbuttons his jacket and you notice on his lapel a black insignia pin of Oblivion. Before you can space out or stew in your own thoughts you notice him flip through a file before staring at you for a moment before he starts to talk, he holds himself with the posture of someone who had seen combat although his gaze and presence lead you to think he was possibly an officer or someone of a higher position.

"Normally I brief ‘a team’ as the Handler for all outbound IFO squads but since you’re going in solo and this is in truth an easy mission by my accounts I feel it’s not worth my time… operational support will fill you in on the major bulk of the details...Here’s the overview though.

A distress communique went dark at 0633z or 0033 local time. The sender's transmitter ID belonged to a peripheral asset by the name of Shinji Kawasaki, a Japanese archaeologist, he was deemed useful as a sensor type asset in case something shows up. Figure out why his transmitter went down and recover the asset if he's alive. It's in a restricted no man's area so be mindful you don't cause an international incident or reveal who you work for, the US government would have a field day if Japan thought ‘they’ were jumping around in their backyard giving the politicians on Capitol Hill another reason to whine and beg for some of our tech that they damn well know we aren't going to give them."
he explained in a baritone voice towards the end it seemed to get more gravely as if irritated by some past event. Giving you the once over he stands and exits the room not really giving the option of being able to ask questions.

A younger man walks with a sigh with the back of his thumbnail rubbing his forehead above his eyebrow as he shake his head. With a coffee cup in one hand and a folder wedged in under his armpit next to a tablet he gives you an apologetic smile. Unlike the handler this guy was in khaki’s and a black short sleeve floral print shirt with boots on.

"I guess I’ll be the Operational Support Guy for you via what the Director just told me. I’ll fill you in on the details. Oh I’m Agent John Alldrene by the way." He explained nodding his head with his blond hair bobbing a bit before he got into the bulk of the details. You can see why the Handler may not have wanted to brief you…

"The transmitter devices are given to a select few on the border of the veil between what we do and the ‘normal world most people know about’ where what is happening really is just chalked up to a bunch of fairy tales, sci fi tabloid scams or hoaxes, and conspiracy theory drivel.

Mr. Kawasaki was an asset that fell into this grey area of not wanting to know fully what is going on and wanted to continue his work in the normal world so he wasn't recruited. That is why he was given a long range communication device, considering what happened last time the fact he used it meant it wasn't something pedestrian any local government agency couldn't handle...again and we’ve being called for a reason by him specifically this time.

A ping from the device meant something not normal was going on which is what Oblivion steps in in to access, analyze, and control as needed. The fact the device went dark before the full cycle was finished in the transmission is a secondary anomaly which is why you're going in versus a field tech team for analysis since we don’t know all the details.

These devices are built to withstand a fall off a five story building and still work so if it stopped working it means it was damaged, badly, so you can take that as you like. Maybe he just dropped it, but it's better we err on caution and assume something 'hostile' is out there in the area. You’re going in versus a team of field techs to analyze the situation since they unlike you are more likely to die… granted you might die too I guess if you’re not careful."
he explain before yawning and taking a sip of coffee. It was clear he may be a bit surly for being up this early but it seemed like he just glanced over a possible fatal or suicidal mission. He jumped back into his data dump of a briefing after another sip of coffee as he pulled out a tablet and started showing information that was a bit of an overload at this hour.

"The ping went off outside a city called Hachimantai in the Iwate Prefecture of Japan. More specifically we found the area of the ping was in the former town of Matsuo that was absorbed when the town was abandoned. Research into Kawasaki had him doing consulting work for the Matsugawa Geothermal Power Plant in the area, public news indicated they were looking into demolishing the small buildings around the Matsuo mining site due to a possible expansion needing the area. From what we can tell he was hired on to see if there were anything of historical value they’d need to be mindful of or preserved before major excavation or construction started. This specific area that the ping went off in is inside a restricted area though so we have no idea why he or possibly his team members as well went in. This wasn’t where they company was going to be building.

Little is really known about the town in truth from what we could find it used to be a mining town in the late part of the 1800s, it was shut down just before the turn of the century and kept getting absorbed by local towns till finally Hachimantai absorbed it without being used. There isn't any reason stated in the files about why it was closed down really, it was a sulfur mine so it either dried up or profits outweighed the cost we're assuming.

We found someone from his team on a public recording posted to the internet of going into the area before it was quarantine but why it was afterwards officially made a restricted area wasn't found since it looks normal. No idea really why it was quarantined but on local or private Japanese government information channels… we checked and double checked again after we hacked their networks. Nothing.

We don’t know what you’ll be getting into or if he’s even alive. Also you’re going to have to be dropped in on a very low altitude parachute drop. It’s weird that the area has had a foggy mist in the area for some time supposedly since a year or two before the mines closed so over a thousand years of this foggy business, we only know where the building are from compiling multiple pictures over time and extrapolating where your safe zone is plus with it being a no man’s land it’s complicated if you get spotted by locals. So it’s kind of a good thing I guess. Thermal imaging from our satellites error out due to the sporadic and constantly moving mist but fortunately due to that it’s perfect for getting into the area since it’s restricted without being seen. You’ll be in a wingsuit so if you veer off course you’ll be able to move back into the target zone though so no worries. You’re just going in blind. Once you know what’s going on and retrieve Professor Kawasaki make it out of the area as best you can and request a pickup.

Any questions?"
he finally concludes taking a sip from his cup of coffee.

His tone and that of the Handler seemed to make it sound like not that big of a deal. To a newly appointed member of Oblivion and someone with normal world common sense it sounded like a very big deal.
Jul 17, 2015 1:33 am
Ellis shifted in his seat, and for the umpteenth time during the briefing wished for something caffeinated. His original notes had long ago faded, and were replaced with notes from the briefing. So he hummed as he skimmed his notes in review.

"Insertion is by a wingsuit at low altitude. Japan is a good 12 hour flight away. What time of day will I insert and begin my inspection?"

"Any local legends or mythology about the mist? Or about any kind of creatures?"

"Oh," he paused and pointed to John, "I just had a thought. If Professor Kawasaki is dead should I still retrieve his remains? Or, should I attempt to dispose of them if it was messy? How far should I go in retrieving his remains?"
Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm
"Yep that’s the drop off idea… yeah… uh we’re getting you there in under 12 hours, you’ll leave once you’re done at the armory. Once you’re dropped off and you hit the ground you’re free to figure out things."

"Ya know it’s weird you mention the mist, local legends, myths and creatures…" John began as he fiddles and skimmed notes and intel, "There’s been the entire 1900s to upload some kind of anything on the area and we don’t have anything. Besides the area being created as small mining village for the mining operation and it was shutting down nine years later I guess the fact there is little information should be a little disturbing. We got nothing really, and officially neither does Japan." John offered back scratching his chin he realized wasn’t shaved and letting out a yawn, "You thinking something’s in the mist? We can talk on the way to the armory if you like." he asked looking up from the tablet.

John looked at his wristwatch and back to his tablet before he got up motioning for the new recruit to follow.

"If Kawasaki is dead just get his transponder device if it's in a few pieces. You'll probably figure out what killed him during the investigation, if it's a major threat and you can handle it take it out, it probably won't let you leave if you don't but if you can get away with just our tech that would be okay, knowing what happened and what it is would be more beneficial really in that state we can always figure out other options...It's not like it's a dinosaur or anything like the last time." John explained on what to do about the asset if he was less asset and more dead. It seemed kind of cold to leave him but pulling Oblivion tech from the field just put the professor as a man that died. It did make sense though, not a lot of people knew about the organization and they probably liked to keep it that way.

There was time to chat before getting there but realization they were in the Midwest would be more apparent at the armory, an older lady with her white hair in a beehive style looked up over her glasses at the two as they came in. She was in a red knitted sweater with a large white ‘N’ knitted into the front. For all intents and purposes she looked like she was someone’s grandmother or possibly great grandmother and very out of place in this environment. She regarded the two while adjusting her glasses, the pearl beads attached around her neck clicking slightly.

"Whatcha' need hon? she finally said in a voice that let you know the woman was probably a heavy smoker...

(OoC: Feel free to ask questions along the way to the armory, besides the wing suit and a transponder to pop when you need/want out use the Novice Requistion level of points for your load out.)
Jul 18, 2015 12:49 pm
"As you said, John, the device can survive a five story fall and it suddenly halts in the middle of transmission? Sounds like he was using it when something happened. There's no telling what's in the mists because the Japanese believe in many spirits. Or even if it's a spirit." He paused, "But at the moment I want to know more about how I'll get there in less than 12 hours. Hypersonic travel hasn't been very successful to date, so..."

"And wait a second, dinosaur like last time? No way! What sort of dino was it?"

(OOC: I have questions about loadout, so I'll post them in the discussion thread.)

When they arrived in the armory, Ellis looked thoughtful for a moment. "Based on what I know, I should only need a standard loadout and maybe some lockpicks. Given the location, a talisman would make more sense than modified ammo would." Ellis smiled at that last bit; he modified his own ammo anyway. "Any recommendations for an unknown situation everyone else is assuming to be safe for a rookie?"
Last edited July 18, 2015 2:04 pm
Jul 19, 2015 10:36 pm
John shrugged off the travel explaination, "I'm not a tech guy really so I have no idea really the details, I guess I can say from personal experience it's fast and safe. I don't really know what kind of dinosaur really but they supposedly found the bones recently... heh." John added in about the dinosaur revealing he knew a bit of rumors but wasn't really in the know it seemed. His smirk ended when an older lady looked at him causing him to lock up a bit. With the new recruit asking what she thought of for items he might need.

"So you're going with lockpicks over zip ties I figure and as for a tailsman I can think of a few..." she commented moving around the cage area on a rolling chair out of sight before coming back with three tailisman, I have this one rabbit carved from wood that a Native American shaman made that should bring you luck, this odd one made of black stone that interlocks supposedly lets you cobble together a makeshift device you wouldn't normally know how to make 'sometimes', and this leather sleeve..."[/b] she explained pulling out a leather worked sleeve that looks like somewhat like a lifelike owl made of leather, "Makes you feel like you got eyes in the back of your head."

(OoC: Rabbit charm on a necklace: Luck Edge, Black stone bracelet: Gadgeteer, Leather sleeve of the Owl:Alterness, I had a lot more going on today than I planned.)
Jul 21, 2015 10:24 pm
Ellis took in what John said about the dinosaur and filed it away. He'd probably look it up and see what the media had explained the event as later. Assuming that there was a dinosaur, the cover story could reveal a bit about the organization he worked for. John was scant on details, much like a government spook would be.

"Yeah, I'm more likely to encounter a locked door than need to take someone hostage." He shrugged. "That's more my cup of tea anyway."

Ellis leaned against the counter while the woman scrounged up some artifacts. When presented with his choices, he tapped his fingers against the countertop while pondering his choices. "I'll take the leather sleeve."

"Any words of advice for a rookie field operative ma'am? John and my handler seem to think this job is an easy one, but I'm skeptical." He smiled in spite of himself. The beehive hairdo reminded him of his granny back in England, though his gran' was a bit odd.
Jul 22, 2015 12:12 pm
The woman blinked slowly to Holt's explanation and offer for advice in the field.

"I'm more of a coffee drinker myself." she offered back. John seemed to cringer next to Holt at the comment.

With the selection made the other items were pulled and stored. It was odd to see a face of an owl worked into the sleeve, plus it might just the early morning hours but it did look like those life like owl eyes just dilated and blinked.

"The jobs are always easy in hindsight if you can get past the weirdness..." commented standing and getting up from her chair and moving out of sight before a seam opened in the wall and a door swung open. The lady was a lot shorted to be expected but considering the size of her hairdo it was probably a quarter of her overall height. As he pressed and area on the wall a small cubbie hold breakfast nook seemed to open with a little area for a very old looking coffee maker and a cup. She poured herself a cup of coffee and stared off for a bit.

"Focus on the actual mission, anything weird you should take it at face value as being weird trying to figure out every odd thing you'll see will take too long in this line of work, save that for after the mission if you're still curious when you're done and safe for the most part, something else happening that you feel should take priority will probably take priority, otherwise you'll be distracted. If they brought you here it means it won't be a cake walk mission where you just deliver a message or pick something up. So be mindful of what's going on around you, you could in truth die. There are things worse than death though so keep that in mind too. Oh... and don't lose my gear." she explained between sips.

You realize John's been quiet this whole time holding his arms close to his body with his cup and tablet under his armpits.

You notice her shuffle over to John and look in his cup and smile. He seemed genuinely nervous as he started to sweat slightly.

The lady moved and filled John's cup up the rest of the way and patted his forearm before putting the coffee pot away and shut the door the nook away and her again behind the cage she sat down and adjusted her glasses.

"Anything else?" she'd ask back to her original position.
Jul 24, 2015 10:19 pm
"Thanks for the advice ma'am. I'll try to bring your gear back."

Ellis observed John for a few moments, and decided that the man probably had whiskey instead of coffee. He guessed that John probably hadn't expected to be summoned at this time of night. "Do you like your coffee Irish, John?" Ellis raised one eyebrow in question.

He collected the gear and had to stop himself from putting it all on right then. "Should I kit up now, or wait till I'm closer to deployment? I'm not sure if all this might interfere with the wingsuit."
Jul 27, 2015 1:58 pm
John grunted going on autopilot, with a glossed over look on his face it seemed as he lead the way out. He didn’t seem to hear Holt as he walked him into the men’s restroom and stopped up all four of the sinks and filled them almost to full. He poured out the refilled coffee between all four sinks before unstopping the sinks and letting them drain. You do find it odd the coffee looks more like black paint or ink than coffee due to how dark it was, especially since it was poured out into several gallons of water as well. Washing out the sinks John flipped his coffee mug upside down and lit a lighter under the opening causing a small fireball to puff out of his cup for a second.

"Never drink her coffee." John explained before throwing away the ceramic cup in the waste bin, "Now what were you saying? Your equipment? Yeah you can put it on however you want if you don’t want to carry everything in your hands. Suit up if you like. We can get you onboard for the launch whenever you’re ready." John stating coming back to the real world it seemed. It was odd the way he kept eyeing the sinks and the waste bin like something might happen, he ushers you back out into the hallway once you’re ready.
Aug 5, 2015 1:50 am
Ellis watched as John cleaned his mug. "Yeah, my gran makes coffee like that. Why do you think I drink tea? A bad cup of tea won't kill you like coffee will." He quickly stowed his gear in the pockets he mentally designated, and holstered his pistol. He idly wondered if he should power up his ammo before he left, or if it was necessary at all. With two special clips already, he didn't bother to alter his other ammunition.
Aug 5, 2015 7:04 pm
John seemed to get the thousand yard stare thinking about the dark coffee like substance. Once Holt seemed to be suited up John seemed to snap out of it, "So you ready to go now?" he asked curious tapping out a message on his tablet before giving the Agent his full attention again.
Aug 5, 2015 10:04 pm
Ellis shrugged. The only other thing they could do to equip him was give him more information, and either they were stingy on it or just plain didn't know. "Yeah, I'm good. Let's get started."
Aug 10, 2015 5:22 pm
Holt found himself ushered to a corridor and a heavy door opened to a minimalist white room of four plush first class airline chairs and a small area behind them that had several roll up draws. John looked around and tapped some things on his tablet.

"Well there are chairs to sit in or sleep if you want; roll out area in the back probably has food and drinks. There should be a tablet in the chairs if you want to watch a movie or play flappy birds… I think that’s all I have to tell you really. You have your wingsuit and gear, digital smoke to pop for a pickup… Door in the back will lead to your area to jump from I guess with a parachute…" John explained pointing things out… he seemed hesitant to leave for a second before he sighed and said something somewhat blunt but quite honest.

"I’m not an ops guy in truth so I don’t know if I did the best of jobs man. I’ve given you all the intel I could find but a few weeks ago I was out in the field on my first mission. So I’d take it as a personal favor if you didn’t die cus that would make me feel bad… might get me out of Nebraska though…" he stated clapping Holt on the shoulder before nodding and heading out. Holt watched the door close and heard a slight hiss of air before the sounds of the fluorescent tubes in the corridor stopped.

The sudden unseen voice took him by surprise but the voice sounded chipper but did give Holt a rather surreal moment, "We’re getting ready to pick you up for takeoff, if you don’t mind please get into a seat and buckle in there might be a slight… shift. For your safety we’d appreciate your cooperation." stated what sounded like an actor playing the part of the stereotypical airplane pilot.

Holt was left to his own designs as he felt something latch onto something outside the room his was in and felt the room jerk slightly.

(OoC: If you get to the chairs you'll notice a tablet in a sleeve attached to the side of your chair also you notice the seatbelt looks more like a harness versus standard airplane seat belts. It does look a bit roomy and posh to be the inside of a plane though.)
Aug 12, 2015 1:57 am
(OOC: Found a bit of time to post, so I got lucky.)

"Don't worry too much, John," Ellis grinned, "Dying isn't high on my list of priorities right now. I'm curious—not suicidal."

A basic white room with deluxe airline seating wasn't much to go on. Nor was a disembodied voice of a pilot, or recording if it wasn't a live voice. However they planned to transport him, it looked like they weren't going to give him any more information than was strictly necessary. As soon as there was a slight jerk, Ellis hastened to seat himself and strap into the harness. After taking a few moments to observe anything he could, he settled down and pulled out the tablet. Ellis hunted around a bit before settling on a movie. By all accounts, this was going to be a long flight.
Aug 13, 2015 3:58 pm
The room seemed void of windows and the door he had entered on a side glance seemed to have all the cautionary warning of a bulkhead door on a naval vessel or an aircraft. The sudden pausing of his movie without notification before the voice explained he was free to move about the area was stated before the movie continued.

An icon actually popped up on the tablet that looked like warm food, inspecting it seemed to put in orders to the compact area in the rear for food to be prepared. The table towards the rear seemed to have an embedded display that he could watch his movie on as well what it seemed from fiddling with the device detail options or he could review what he had been briefed on again. Holt may raise an eyebrow to finding out their current location was somewhere over eastern Idaho. Considering he was in Eastern Nebraska when they took off he wondered exactly how fast they were going and how. He also noticed there was an option on his tablet to open up communications with the pilot. With the realization from notifications he’d soon be in international waters he had options, either get something to eat, watch his movie, talk to the pilot or a little of everything. There was the option of sleep since it was still early, there even seemed to be an option to dim the lights in the area.
Aug 17, 2015 10:56 pm
Ellis debated with himself for a little before deciding. He didn't want something heavy on his stomach if he had to run a lot, or if he was going to see something grisly. But then, he did need to eat—there was no telling when he'd eat next and it was quite late. So he decided to start with a light meal. He fiddled with the interface till he found something light enough, and bland enough. Though he grew up in the United States, instead of the UK, Ellis never had gotten accustomed to spicy food. He watched something boring while eating to settle his mind a bit, and dimmed the lights halfway through his meal.

After he was done eating, Ellis returned to his seat. He buckled back in (just in case) and made himself as comfortable as possible. He'd probably feel sluggish after sleeping for only a few hours, but it'd be better than what he currently had: no sleep.
Aug 18, 2015 5:50 pm
Holt hear the disembodied voice loudly clearing his throat, "Evening! Local time is 1854 and the sun just set here in Japan. We’re approaching the drop area, had a bit of a choppy flight breaking through but we’ve made it in nine hours. Considering you were in the Nebraska that still isn’t bad. Door to the back of your quarters leads to the drop area, punch the big red button when you’re red to lower the door so you can bail out. Punch you digital smoke when you need a pick up… I guess since you’re a rookie… Good Luck." the voice stated in typical pilot tone.

The white room once left would reveal a barebones aircraft frame of drab grey primer and metal it seemed. There was a large angular area that looked like it could be a ramp into the aircraft from below or a way out, the mentioned big red button was on the wall. All that was left was to open the door run out and remember to pull his cord when he’d get away from the plan and direct himself down.

Donning the goggles with the suit had a flashing indicator of where he needed to shoot for outside the plan. Holt figured this was the easy part of the mission, as long as he didn’t kill himself in the process.
(I’ll need an agility test so your Agility Stat as well as your wild dice (d6) not added together, they explode. Also give me a notice check as well which would be your notice dice as well as your wild dice again.)
Aug 21, 2015 12:04 am
(OOC: Testing the dice. I'm trying to roll both the stat plus the wild die together, rather than doing 4 rolls.)

Ellis gave his kit one last inspection, checked that his pistol was accessible and the safety was on, and moved to leap out of the plane.

Rolls

Agility Test - (1d6, 1d6, RA)

1d6 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (1) = 1

Notice Test - (1d6+2, 1d6+2, RA)

1d6+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.