The Old Guard OOC Thread

load previous
Aug 26, 2015 1:42 pm
I think I like using one roll, I don't think I've seen a system do that before. It's an interesting mechanic because for some builds that makes their first turn/Initiative turn stronger than their others, but for Serana (poor FOC and so on) hers is weaker. Does the effect roll have to be FOC based or could I have used my sword's dice?

My move stands, but I'll post it after someone else gets to go first. And I assume the turn order between the party isn't important, I can choose to go after or before if we decide it works better?

edit - I just realised I can't move and Smash in the same turn because Smash is a full action. So standard move, minor attack. I'm aware of how many questions I'm asking but I'll guess my minor attack has to be a 1d6 fist, not my 1d10 sword.
Last edited August 26, 2015 2:16 pm
Aug 26, 2015 4:55 pm
Doesn't Feedback Stun the person benefiting from the Shield, not the attacker? I don't know if Pudge even needs to use Edge really. He's only down 2 HP (since the edit, which you may not have seen whipstache. Sneaky how the site makes it that GM doesn't leave a notification when they edit!).

I don't want to order anyone about but I'd suggest Wilhelm uses that Lethal power of his on one of the enemies, and I'll just face off with the heavy. He's fairly durable but I don't think he can do much to me so we'll slug it out while everyone else does clean-up. Tempted to use Smash but Knockdown only seems useful if there are other people there to take advantage of it.
Aug 26, 2015 5:04 pm
You're right that Feedback is meant to Stun the beneficiary (otherwise a Shield token for just 1 HP would be too good) but honestly, I think something like "spend an Edge point to use an Empower as an interrupt and/or with some other bonus" would be an excellent mechanic.

If whipstache still wants to spend an Edge point, I'd allow using Feedback in that fashion. Maybe it has a passive element where using an Edge point on Shield automatically Stuns one attacker
Aug 26, 2015 5:08 pm
Swamped at work. I'll try to look at this when I get a few spare minutes. :/
Aug 26, 2015 6:39 pm
Edcrab says:
You're right that Feedback is meant to Stun the beneficiary (otherwise a Shield token for just 1 HP would be too good) but honestly, I think something like "spend an Edge point to use an Empower as an interrupt and/or with some other bonus" would be an excellent mechanic.

If whipstache still wants to spend an Edge point, I'd allow using Feedback in that fashion. Maybe it has a passive element where using an Edge point on Shield automatically Stuns one attacker
Okay, cool. So, I've changed Feedback's description to include "If and Edge point is spent, Feedback can be used as an interrupt reaction, and the Feedback stuns the attacker." I'll play that in the main thread.

Out of curiosity, how does one replenish Edge points?
Aug 27, 2015 5:04 pm
I think we might rule that Edge points can only grant bonus standard actions, not full actions, but since Kenny performed a standard attack anyway it won't change anything there. Also Brutalise is a Pure effect, so you only have to roll your 1d10 sans modifiers versus the target's attribute score. Speaking of which, we never discussed what attribute Brutalise targets! (not that it really matters in this instance, as none of #3's attributes are 7 or more)

And whipstache: you recover one Edge point at the end of an encounter, and others are issued as a reward for meeting major objectives or just generally being impressive. The GM is also obligated to give you an Edge point if they Compromise one of your Resources. So if a boss grabbed Wilhelm's scythe and attacked him with it, of if an ion mine went off and disabled all of Serana's implants, I'd be expected to give them an EP as a sort of consolation prize
Aug 27, 2015 5:22 pm
How can we tell if an 'elite' enemy has an Edge point? I'm suddenly very conscious that I suggested Kenny blow his encounter power when the target might be able to shrug it off.

edit - And looking at Pudge's d6 gun, that doesn't seem like it would ever be able to harm anyone. The damage seems awfully low.
Last edited August 27, 2015 5:28 pm
Aug 27, 2015 6:02 pm
It's not really designed to do tons of damage, as far as I can tell. But, as I understand it, any successful hit does a minimum of 1F damage, so it's better than not being able to use a minor action because I don't have anything that fits that action slot.
Aug 27, 2015 8:24 pm
I think it makes the most sense for brutalize to change target attribute based on how Wilhelm is using it (for better or worse). In this instance, it's probably agility or vitality. I'll let you be the judge. That said, in an instance in which Wilhelm is using it to mentally feedback a witch, it would probably use his Will vs their Will.
Aug 28, 2015 7:12 am
Yeah, as whipstache said it's mostly just so there's something to use that minor action for other than moving/guarding. Keep in mind that enemies without armour and/or with very low Resistances might still take multiple hits even from a humble d6. If damage dice ever seem low, remember that Resistances in this system usually tend towards being pretty low themselves.

Although speaking of minor actions, you can use one to attempt to gain Advantage: roll 1d20 then effect as usual, and if you beat the target's Resistance you gain Advantage. An Advantage action can represent anything from trying to gain the high ground, or analysing an enemy's weaknesses, or sneaking into their blindspot etc

Kenny: Okay, I'm going to write up an IC post that assumes you're using Brutalise fatally, but if you want to declare that you're actually just knocking the guy out that's a legit use of a Lethal hit and we can retcon it
Aug 28, 2015 11:03 am
So I could have gained Advantage with my first action in this combat and stacked that +2 with the +2 from the full attacks? Hm.

And looks like we've more or less won this encounter. Might blow my own Edge and encounter power to wrap things up.
Aug 28, 2015 12:29 pm
Blerg. I wasn't expecting these dumb thugs to be able to deal so much damage. What happens if I take the damage and an reduced to 0?

Also, is it possible for me to move to some empty space behind the cover?
Aug 28, 2015 12:43 pm
I'm curious about that as well, but as far as I can see hitting 0 HP is mostly a nuisance. You'd be Exhausted which seems to disable a lot of passives but you're not in real trouble unless you take a Normal hit after that.
Aug 28, 2015 4:02 pm
Haha, yeah elites tend to have good damage. Maybe should've opened with mobs instead!

Moving into a tile makes you a viable Melee target for any enemies occupying it, but considering that 4's been defeated that's not really relevant if you're moving into the tile with cover

As Albionest said, hitting 0 HP has no lasting effects, it's just that any N damage taken at 0 HP becomes a Lethal hit. PCs don't die outright, allies will get a chance to rush to your aid and stabilise you, but you'd still get back up at the end of the encounter with an Injury (an attribute's modifier is halved, and also disables associated aspects). As for #4 and the critical hit, you don't have to kill a defeated foe unless you explicitly state that that's what your character does.

Anyway, by my count everyone is down except for #1, at 3/4 HP. I'll let whipstache make a move then roll Mind for the guy's morale, and if he fails (almost certainly will) he'll surrender
Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm
Edcrab says:
but you'd still get back up at the end of the encounter with an Injury (an attribute's modifier is halved, and also disables associated aspects).
Would I receive an Injury for reaching 0 HP, or only if I were hit with N Damage after reaching 0 HP? If I take this 6 HP Damage (and get to -1, if there are negatives, will I take an injury?

My question is, should I spend something to negate this damage or not?
Aug 28, 2015 4:55 pm
Pudge only lost 1 HP though, I believe he's at 5/7: the attacker's damage was 6 and Pudge's Reactions (used to resist most ranged attacks) is 4 (FOC 3 and Psi +1), so the damage roll beat the Resistance but not by enough to apply multiple hits

But if you meant it hypothetically, one attack can't empty an HP bar AND deal a Lethal hit. I'd make an exception if it was a very, very large amount of damage bleeding past the HP, but usually it'd have to be two separate attacks
Aug 28, 2015 5:03 pm
Ah! It's all suddenly clear. Damage told get translated into hits, and the number of his determines HP loss. Great.
Aug 28, 2015 5:10 pm
I think I get it.

... I think.
Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm
Okay, before we interrogate thus guy, I want to use my hacker skills to find out as much information about him as I can. I don't know what technology would be common place (facial recognition?) or what info would be public, but I want to get something personal or private... Something he'd keep secret. An equivalent might be a social security number or the schools that his kids go to.

I want to be able to intimidate him into doing something for us, and keep that fear going after he's gone.
Aug 29, 2015 4:37 pm
Question- can we pick up the SMGs and the heavy repeater? Or does that not jive with the resource system?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.