Exigency: The Old Guard

Aug 21, 2015 9:30 am
"No," says Cáceres, "I’m not buying it."

Valon’s Chief of Police stands up and faces the window, or what’s left of it. "I am not calling you liars. But I believe you have been misled." His fists clench. "Even now, I feel some bastard’s hand tugging at our strings."

He sighs and shudders, but immediately whirls back towards the party, as blank and stone-faced as ever. "We can bounce back from this: there’s a disused phase transceiver tower in the mountains. We should be able to put an SOS out on to the infranet."

He doesn’t state the obvious, either out of respect for the party’s common sense or out of unwillingness to lower the mood: without the phase beacon, emergency responders would be limited to conventional drives. Getting to Valon would take them weeks instead of hours.

"But before that, I need to know what happened. From the beginning.

"Tell me how those monsters blew up my city."
Aug 24, 2015 7:17 pm
Pudge sighs. "Look, I told you already. The only thing I know is that I heard... we'll say "chatter" on the weave that something HUGE was about to happen in Valon, or to Valon, or... but, you know how those clackers are. They blow that kinda smoke all the time. So, I didn't take it seriously. And, why would I? Had I known there was something to it, I'd've payed closer attention."

"I can backtrack, and see what I can find. But, the only helpful thing I can tell you about right now is that this attack was in the rumor pools for about two weeks before it happened. So someone was coordinating something over the bionet."

Pudge folds his arms and looks sympathetically at the Chief, awaiting some kind of ackowledgement.
Aug 24, 2015 7:27 pm
Serana nods stiffly. "That fits my findings. The staff at the High Council's embassy here implied similar." She spits the word Council like a curse. "But good luck filtering through weeks of brain garbage to find the pertinent data."
Aug 24, 2015 9:39 pm
Wilhelm Falstaff adjusts his hat to shield his eyes from the sunlight. After popping his knuckles loudly, he addresses the Chief. "I was hunting a witch by the name of Lilen Armani. She was up to something here. I'm not sure what; it didn't matter to me when I got here. All I care is that she's been given a verdict by the Council: execution. I'm just here to carry out the sentence. I was closing in when the fireworks went off, and she got away in the chaos."
Aug 25, 2015 8:52 am
Chief Cáceres looks pensive. The messages and transmissions of a planet's independent bionetwork are a fleeting, temporary thing, very different from the star-spanning infranet.

"Are there no records of this suspicious bionet activity? Computer, can we gain access to—" Cáceres stops. The machine he's addressing is silent. "Nevermind. I forgot that the HQ's mainframe was down." He rubs his forehead. It's peppered with flecks of blood and he merely rearranges the stains slightly.

"That leaves a data investigation in your hands, Iranii. Consider yourself an official aide to the Valon Police Department. If your skills impress the Maintenance Association, they impress me.

"I would offer the same courtesy to the rest of you," he adds, turning to Falstaff, "but I doubt a hunter working for the Highs has much need of my support. I won't hinder your pursuit as long as you extend me the same courtesy and don't disrupt my investigation or the emergency clean-up operation."

Cáceres looks Serana up and down, slightly wary of having a military-grade cyborg in his office. "And I shall, ah, leave you to continue your business at the Embassy. Thank you for your co-operation."
Aug 25, 2015 1:43 pm
"I appreciate the trust Chief, but in light of recent events I'm beginning to think our goals are mutually beneficial. Consider me at your disposal for the time being. Something tells me this investigation of yours could lead me to my quarry. Besides, I can't get offworld to fulfill more contracts until the Highs can get ships out here. With the becon down, I'm in no hurry."
Aug 25, 2015 3:22 pm
"I'll see what I can come up with, Chief. And, if I may have to hang out on the fringes of what may or may not be legal, I'll be sure to leave your name out," Pudge smirks. He grabs his satchel, heaves it over his shoulder, and looks at the others. "Y'all ready?"
Aug 25, 2015 5:07 pm
"As ready as I'll ever be. I want to get off this rock as soon as possible."
Aug 26, 2015 7:29 am
A few minutes later...

The party exits the building via the stairs at the main entrance, acutely aware of how loudly their footsteps ring out in the suddenly silent street. The only other people in sight are four officers in police body armour, all lacking badge numbers or unit markings. Three with SMGs take up positions on the party's side of the road but the fourth— a giant of a man in heavy armour, almost certainly a Gef or genetically modified— rests his plasma repeater on the bonnet of a battered response vehicle and takes aim.

The HQ door slams shut.

http://i.imgur.com/3J3d3ZB.png
Aug 26, 2015 9:23 am
(Let's hope I do this right.)

"It would apear that these gentlemen wish to be delivered to an early grave. I will not deny them their wish."

(First roll didn't work right trying again)

Nevermind, the roller won't add them together automatically.
Last edited August 26, 2015 9:29 am

Rolls

Initiative (FOC and Psi: innate reflex/senses from years of hunting witches) - (1d20+1, 1d6+5)

1d20+1 : (12) + 1 = 13

1d6+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Attempt 2 - (1d20, 1d6+5)

1d20 : (2) = 2

1d6+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Aug 26, 2015 12:46 pm
As soon as he feels the hostility of the attackers, Pudge kneels down and looks for cover. Not finding any, he readies himself for a fight.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Aug 26, 2015 1:10 pm
Serana eyes the man with the repeater.

"I'll take the big one."
Last edited August 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Rolls

Initiative, FOC + Melee - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

The effect part of the initiative roll - (1d6+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Aug 26, 2015 1:47 pm
Pudge will use disabling virus on 4's plasma repeater.

EDIT: It should have been +6 (not +5), so total roll of 9 (rather than 8).
Last edited August 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Rolls

Effect - (1d6+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Aug 26, 2015 2:20 pm
Serana runs towards the gunman, fist raised, aiming to vault over the armoured car and punch him in the head.

Skill roll was 19, effect was 5. Not sure if that's enough to hop the cover and punch the (fake?) cop.
Aug 26, 2015 2:37 pm
Serana clears the car, skidding over the bonnet. She punches the gunner as she slides past but he barely flinches. From behind his visor he sneers, swinging the repeater back around for what he expects to be a devastating retort...

"Fuh," says the repeater's targeting computer, spewing sparks.

Swearing audibly, the gunner discards his twitching weapon, drawing a large combat knife and plunging it towards Serana's face.

The gunner is down 1 HP: now 6/7. Serana will also take 1 Fatigue hit, HP 4/5, but you can describe how she counters this otherwise dangerous attack.
Landing a hit was enough to let you estimate your opponent's durability. The gunner has Constitution 6 and 8 armour.

Rolls

Heavy gunner's Melee skill roll - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Heavy gunner's Melee damage roll (3 armour piercing) - (1d8+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Aug 26, 2015 3:46 pm
"Iranii, watch the right!"

Wilhelm rushes the two assailants on his left, scythe in hand. He slides between them and sweeps the leg out from underneath the larger of the two.

(assuming i can't use a scythe attack bacause I moved)

Rolls

Attack (STR and Melee) - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Aug 26, 2015 4:18 pm
http://i.imgur.com/JRH1AVh.png

Enemy 2 is down 1 HP: 3/4. Landing a hit was enough to let you estimate your opponent's durability. Enemy 2 has Constitution 4 and 4 armour.

Wilhelm shouts his warning and if anything it seems to spur the rightmost "police officer" into action. He fires a burst at Pudge.

Meanwhile the other has rushed to his comrade's aid, coming in close to avoid a friendly-fire incident. Both men attempt some sloppy CQC: their training is nothing special, but they are ready to try and block Wilhelm's inevitable counter attacks.

Pudge is due to lose 2 HP : 5/7 (initially I said 4 HP, but then I edited when I realised he actually has Reactions 4 if I let him use his Psi rank, I made the mistake of applying a ranged attack to his Constitution 2 at first)
Wilhelm dodges one hit entirely, but the other lands and costs him 1 HP: 4/5.

EDIT: I kept saying 3 and 4 were attacking Wilhelm in the rolls, but it was actually 2 and 3. Whoops!

Rolls

Enemy 1's skill roll vs Pudge - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Enemy 1's damage roll vs Pudge - (2d6+1)

(44) + 1 = 9

Enemy 3's skill roll vs Wilhelm - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Enemy 4's skill roll vs Wilhelm - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Enemy 3's damage roll vs Wilhelm - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Enemy 4's damage roll vs Wilhelm - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Aug 26, 2015 5:24 pm
(Does Harder They Fall apply to being outnumbered?)

Whihelm ducks under a blow and spins up behind #2. For an instant the scythe glows in the light of the Valoni sun, just before it is brought down on its target.

Rolls

Scythe (I assume d8) - (1d20+4, 1d8+4)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d8+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Aug 26, 2015 6:40 pm
Pudge expends an Edge point to use Feedback as a reaction, initiating a shield on himself. The attacker will be stunned.
Aug 26, 2015 6:49 pm
Serana catches the man's wrist. She looks at the blade.

"Pft. Mine's bigger."

And smashes him in the face with her sword hilt.

edit - can I retroactively decide to make that a full attack? For the +2, so I can deal 2 HP instead of 1.
Last edited August 26, 2015 6:50 pm

Rolls

To hit 4 - (1d20+9)

(9) + 9 = 18

To damage 4 - (1d10+9)

(2) + 9 = 11

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.