Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Jul 25, 2016 12:08 pm
OOC:
Well the virus is only a standard action, so I think I'd rule that if you spend your whole turn doing it you can apply the virus and hack the turret in the same move. Hmm. Okay, let's say Pudge hacks the turret and it targets enemies for one turn, but then every following turn Pudge has to pass a DC11 Tech check to keep it active (free action), otherwise it deactivates itself.
Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm
Pudge hunkers down behind some cover and quickly gets to work deactivating the deadly turret. Once he's into the code, he realizes that with a little extra time he can program his virus to attack the targeting module so it fires on the soldiers and drones guarding the door. He does so, and quickly writes in a fail safe, so if the virus is canceled, the turret will die, and not retarget his team.
Last edited July 25, 2016 12:28 pm
Jul 25, 2016 9:22 pm
When the turret thrums into life the Merc's are initially relieved, expecting support. Instead it revs up and unleashes a stream of fire that practically cuts one of the troopers in half.
OOC:
Merc #3 is down. Wilhelm and Serana get to act first, then Reave will make her action before the troopers and drones.

Rolls

Turret accuracy - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Merc's evasion - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Jul 25, 2016 9:41 pm
Briliant Pudge! Wilhelm leaps into the cloud of drones spinning wildly.
OOC:
do we add to effect die? It's been a while. Apparently yes, so that's a 12 for effect.
Last edited July 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1D20+9, 1d10)

1D20+9 : (18) + 9 = 27

1d10 : (3) = 3

Jul 26, 2016 6:44 pm
"I am so glad he's on our side..."

Serana takes advantage of the surprise at the turncoat turret and takes a swing at the heavy.

Rolls

full attack - (1d20+9)

(3) + 9 = 12

damage - (1d10+11)

(7) + 11 = 18

Jul 28, 2016 3:16 pm
Wilhelm cleaves through three of the drones before their AI can even fully register what's happening. Serana collides with the heavy, her newly-enhanced targeting abilities helping her to bypass their defences and land a wounding blow. Meanwhile Reave darts between the two troopers at the opposite flank, subjecting them both to flurries of slashes and thrusts.

Realising that they're completely outmatched, the drones initiate their self-destruct protocol. They rush towards Wilhelm, beeping wildly.

The heavy regains her composure and attacks Serana. The heavy has her own vibroblade and a minor forcefield emitter on her forearm: have the Mercs actually learned from the last encounter?
OOC:
Merc 1: 4/6 HP
Merc 2: 4/6 HP
Merc 3: Eliminated
Merc 4 (Heavy): 5/8 HP
Drones: 3/6 units remaining

Wilhelm will potentially lose 4 HP from the detonation: DC11 Reactions check to half, DC18 to negate entirely. He may include his Melee rank in this roll as I think it should technically count as another melee attack.

Serana will lose 2HP from that attack (the vibroblade ignores much of her armour) unless she can dodge the heavy's accuracy roll.

Rolls

Heavy's melee accuracy - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Heavy's melee effect - (2d8+4)

(17) + 4 = 12

Jul 28, 2016 3:50 pm
Well that's new.

Rolls

Reaction+melee - (1D20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Jul 28, 2016 8:36 pm
OOC:
Wait do you mean dodge as in I have to use AGI, or can I parry it as usual? Using AGI for the roll but if I'm allowed STR that'd be an extra +7

Rolls

melee dodge - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am
Advanced sword or no, its wielder doesn't seem especially proficient. Serana manages to duck beneath her wild strikes.

Wilhelm reacts quickly to the divebombing drones, avoiding the worst of their payload.
OOC:
Yeah, that was the intention, sorry if that was poorly worded. The idea is that the vibroblade is sufficiently advanced to negate Serana's usual resilience... not that it mattered much with that poor attack roll!

Wilhelm is at 5/7 HP.
Jul 31, 2016 6:14 pm
Wilhelm's hair, now burning slightly with embers from the explosion, rushes to bring his onslaught to some mercenary grunts. Run for your lives dogs!
OOC:
Brutalize on merc 3 (4 is heavy right?). I hope i did that right

Rolls

brutalize - (1d20+5, 1d10+5)

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

1d10+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Aug 2, 2016 12:33 pm
Serana tackles the heavy to the ground. Block that with your shield, scumbag.

Rolls

Slam! - (1d20+9)

(3) + 9 = 12

Aug 2, 2016 12:52 pm
Pudge closes his eyes and reaches out with his psi towards Wilhelm, sensing his movements, the gliding arc of his weapon. Pudge is able to connect with Wilhelm's mental essence, and establish a very real shield around his companion.
OOC:
Using Feedback: Standard action. Grand self/target a Shield token. This token is spent automatically when attacked and Stuns the token's beneficiary.

Since it's a standard action, and I haven't moved, can I also take a potshot with my pistol?
Last edited August 2, 2016 12:54 pm
Aug 2, 2016 9:33 pm
OOC:
Sure. Also are you using the normal version of Feedback (Stun Wilhelm while he avoids damage) or the Edge Point version (Stun Wilhelm's attacker while avoiding damage)?
Aug 3, 2016 12:25 pm
OOC:
just using the standard. Wilhelm would be stunned if the world triggers.

I'll target one of the soldiers in Serana's hex.

I don't have written down anywhere what to roll for damage for a pistol.
Last edited August 3, 2016 12:27 pm

Rolls

Pistol shot - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Aug 3, 2016 12:53 pm
OOC:
I think we decided that everyone had access to a 1d6 ranged weapon as a free item, but if I got that wrong consider this a retcon! Don't forget that Pudge is still entitled to roll to maintain control of the turret... not that it will make that much difference!

Also Merc 3 has already been eliminated so I directed Wilhelm's Brutalise against 2 and directed Pudge's pot-shot against the heavy. Technically Wilhelm wouldn't be able to close the distance to do so but since this is just cleaning things up we'll roll with it. My bad, I should have posted an updated hexmap.

The heavy is Stunned, and uses their last remaining minor action to guard themselves and improve their defensive stats in the next turn. Merc 1 uses their allowance to call in the attack.

Merc 1: 4/6 HP
Merc 2: Eliminated
Merc 3: Eliminated
Merc 4 (Heavy): 4/8 HP
Drones: Eliminated
http://i.imgur.com/FcdOg3A.png

Wilhelm dispatches his foe quickly, but not cleanly. The luckless mercenary's comrade holds fast in the face of the carnage: either amazing bravery or sheer foolhardiness, considering that both Reave and Wilhelm are now bearing down on him. He activates his comm and calmly informs his superiors that the guard contingent is on the verge of being eradicated. The Lord Councillor and his entourage will soon have company.

The heavy cannot completely negate Serana's assault, but she nevertheless manages to mitigate the impact with skillful use of her forcefield. Despite this, or perhaps because of the distraction, Pudge lands a direct hit with his pistol and wounds her slightly.

Rolls

Pudge's damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Heavy's physical resistance roll - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Mercenary morale

Aug 3, 2016 2:23 pm
Wilhelm takes a swing at the merc to clean things up.

Rolls

Scyth slice - (1D20+4, 1d8+4)

1D20+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Aug 3, 2016 4:05 pm
Serana eyes the heavy. She's actually impressed that the other woman wasn't floored.
"Tell you what: drop everything and run away and we'll forget you exist. We can definitely beat you, don't get me wrong, but we're kind of in a hurry here and we'd sooner save the real violence for the man inside."

Rolls

Persuasion (WIL?) - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Aug 7, 2016 7:38 pm
The last trooper draws a combat knife and tries to stab Wilhelm. It goes about as well as you might expect.

At first the heavy seems unmoved by Serana's proposal. But a moment later she realises that she's the last woman standing and runs as fast as her plated armour allows for. Her sword and shield clatter on to the ground as the vanishes behind a rocky outcropping.

"This was anticlimactic," said Reave, looking on the remains of the Mercenary unit. Her eyes pan across to the vault proper. "But we can expect far worse inside."

Rolls

Secret Roll

Aug 8, 2016 4:15 am
I would certainly hope so. That wasn't very fun at all.
Aug 8, 2016 10:58 am
"You have some strange notions of 'fun', that's for sure."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.