Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Aug 8, 2016 11:08 am
Pudge has quickly acclimated to the carnage of Wilhelm's violence. He pauses as he considers what this days about him, and then continues inside with the group.
OOC:
can Pudge do another check to see if Reaves is still being truthful, and not deliberately leading us into a trap?
Aug 8, 2016 12:49 pm
Reave does well not to show it, but she's still very nervous. From Pudge's reading the Enforcer doesn't seem to have any intention of betraying the party... but considering her experience of shrouding her thoughts, who's to say?

Rolls

Secret Roll

Aug 9, 2016 11:13 pm
Serana steps inside. Stares down the corridor. "I don't like this at all. One entrance? One exit?" She looks at Reave. "You should stay behind and watch our back. Give us some warning if anyone tries to get the drop on us."
Aug 10, 2016 12:12 pm
"Still don't trust me, cyborg?" Reave smirks. "No matter. If your team prefers it I will gladly remain behind to stand guard."

Pudge can feel the relief positively emanating from her.
Aug 10, 2016 1:56 pm
"Uh, quick sidebar?"

Pudge pulls Wilhelm and Serana aside and whispers. "She's terrified to go in here. I don't think it's because she thinks it's a trap or anything... I think, she's just, you know, scared. Which might actually be worse, given what we know about her." Pudge looks back and forth between the faces of his two companions.

"Leaving her behind might be best for everyone. It might also get her killed. She might also just run away."
Aug 10, 2016 2:35 pm
Wilhelm sighs and shakes his head slightly. I don't like leaving her our here, but she's terrified of Armani and that's going to make her useless to us. So I'm all for leaving her.
Last edited August 10, 2016 2:35 pm
Aug 10, 2016 4:45 pm
"If Reave runs, she runs. But I think she can handle herself if any more Mercs turn up. Let's go show Armani who's really scary."
Aug 11, 2016 11:02 pm
With Reave left at the entrance, the party moves deeper into the Vault.

Bland metal surfaces stretch in all directions. The facility is far less grand than its reputation would imply. Blue-tinged light strips run along the ceiling. No dust, no stains... except for the obvious dirty footsteps covering the floor. Graves-Burton's allies have made a thorough inspection of every square inch of space, as if they've been expecting to find hidden treasure troves under each panel and tile.

The corridor becomes a gantry way, circling around a single room. A chamber spherical in design, with ramps forming a cross between four coffin-sized machines hanging from the rafters. The machines are silent. And in their shadow stands Graves-Burton, bodyguards by his side and a squadron of Mercenaries searching the area. The party stays hidden on the walkway as below them, Graves-Burton harangues the squadron.

"What do you mean 'nothing'?" The Lord Councillor is red in the face.

"It's empty," repeats the Mercenary captain, as his men continue to fruitlessly scan every nook and cranny. "The occupants of the pods... they're not here. Nothing's here."

"Impossible! They sealed an empty vault? All those locks, all those doors, all that research and the Valon vault is empty?"

"With all due respect, sir, I'd hardly call a vault containing this much apparatus 'empty'." The speaker is a tall, thin, sombre man, dressed all in grey. This is the bodyguard who contacted Darghibous back at the embassy, both warning and congratulating him for getting under Graves-Burton's skin.

"Let him throw a tantrum if he wants to, Moller. Makes no difference whether he can appreciate this or not." This speaker is...

Lilen Armani. Dressed in an impractical-looking fern-print gown with unpleasantly bone-like pins holding her hair in place. She looks like a debutante at a particularly macabre ball.

Graves-Burton doesn't respond to her jibe: not because he's above it, but because he's too angry to hear anything but his own furious inner monologue. The Mercs look uncomfortable, Moller remains impassive, and Armani seems amused by his discomfort.

"The machines themselves are a prize," Armani continues. "True stasis pods. Devices that stop time. The applications are limitless. There's nothing like them in all of Alpha Sector... but you don't need to take it from me. Take it from a tech expert."

Armani suddenly whirls around, wide-eyed, leering dangerously up at the gantry.

"Right, Pudge?"
Aug 11, 2016 11:07 pm
"oh, shit" Pudge says aloud, then slams his hand over his mouth, as if being quiet now could prevent her from knowing he's there.
Last edited August 11, 2016 11:07 pm
Aug 12, 2016 3:00 am
Wilhelm smiles under his wide-brim hat. Armani is turning out to be everything he'd hoped for.
Aug 12, 2016 4:29 pm
Serana grips her sword hilt so hard that her servos grind. Her eyes bulge and sweat drips off her.

Armani is none other than the same renegade that crippled her.
Aug 13, 2016 8:29 pm
There's much in the way of clicking and clattering as the Mercenary captain and his six troopers train their weapons at the party's position.

Armani rolls her eyes exaggeratedly. "You're a non-factor here, captain. Leave this to the actual fighters."

Graves-Burton points dramatically at the upper walkways. "Intruders?! Don't just stand there, take them out—"

Armani raises a hand. Lord Councillor Graves-Burton snaps in half with a disgusting, reverberating crack. He's dead before either piece of him hits the ground. The Mercs look on in dumbstruck horror. Moller doesn't appear to care.

"That move will be familiar to Margoyles, I'm sure," Armani laughs. "But Graves-Burton's death was long overdue, I think we'll all agree." She sneers at the corpse. "Such a petty little man, beneath all of us. Had no idea what he was dealing with."

Armani looks back up at the party. "Sadly it would seem he's not the only one! I thought the four of you would have gotten a clue by now."
Aug 16, 2016 10:45 pm
"You're a disgusting monster in an ugly dress," Serana calls out. She's shaking but even she isn't sure if it's from fear or anger. "We don't care what you have to say."

That's a lie. Serana doesn't know what Armani is talking about, but she wants to know. And she had hoped to kill Graves-Burton herself. This is all a big mess and Serana is confused.
Last edited August 16, 2016 10:45 pm
Aug 16, 2016 10:54 pm
Pudge is still hunkered down. While this back-and-forth has been going on, he's been doing calculations, the old fashioned way, without any computer aid.

Finally, he looks up to the others and says in the most commanding tone he's taken the whole time they've been together, "Listen to me very carefully, you two. What I'm about to do is very stupid. But, I believe, truly, it must happen. These cryo units cannot be allowed to exist, and I'm going to break them. For good."

He pauses to gather his inner strength for what he's about to say next. "Give me sixty seconds in there. That's all I need. And if they capture me, you HAVE to kill me."

With the most direct eye contact he's given either one, he asks, "Do you understand?"
Aug 17, 2016 9:43 pm
Wilhelm simply looks to Pudge with a grin and a nod. He then sits on the railing and pulls his hat down tightly onto his head. His scythe sits across his back in the crook of both arms. With a final sigh, Wilhelm leans backward and falls to the room below. He lands with a flourish, gently placing his staff upon the ground and advancing towards Armani. His stride stops just short of her, he sheds his jacket and with a flick of the wrist, tosses it over by the scythe. Ms. Armani, it's a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance. He removes his hat and smiles before bending into a slight bow with his free hand extended towards her. May I have this dance?
Aug 18, 2016 10:44 am
Serana nods at Pudge. Then she drops down after Wilhelm and wordlessly raises her sword. What else needs to be said?
Aug 19, 2016 4:22 pm
Pudge clenches his teeth, and tightens the strap on his bag, bringing it as close to his body as he can.

He stands and sprints as fast as he can toward the edge of the upper walkway. Planting his foot on a barrel, he propels himself forward. His second foot touches the top of the protective hand railing just for an instant as he leaps into the open space towards the nearest of the suspended pods.
Last edited August 19, 2016 4:22 pm
Aug 19, 2016 10:17 pm
Pudge is airborne. His hands hit metal and his grip holds and a heart-pounding second later Pudge realises he's made it to the pod safely.

"Of course," replies Armani. If the renegade psion is aware of what Pudge is doing that very moment, she doesn't show it. She gives Moller a backward glance. "I'll see to the guests. Go check the other rooms, would you?"

A mysterious request to make, but he still nods in understanding and... vanishes. Like Reave, it would appear that Moller shares the telempathic ability to edit himself out of people's perceptions of their surroundings.

At this point the Mercenaries and their captain are, to put it lightly, freaking out. Their ostensible boss was violently killed and now people are disappearing before their eyes. Some of them have even pointed their weapons at Armani. She doesn't bother to turn to look at them...

The Mercs double over, crying out in pain and shock, but soon their cries become positively inhuman. Their bodies swell and bulge, armour warping as they expand, steam rising from them with an audible hiss. Veins pulse beneath red skin and blood trickles from their mouths and noses. Then, as one, the twisted former Mercenaries straighten up and move towards the party.

Armani turns back to Wilhelm and Serana. She smiles, and makes a beckoning motion.

http://i.imgur.com/H4CuhjD.png
OOC:
The warped Mercs lack the reaction time to contest the initiative and Armani is waiting for you to make the first move, so you get to act first.

Rolls

Pudge's mobility check - (1d20+2)

Aug 19, 2016 10:28 pm
Pudge focuses all his psionic abilities in defense; blocking others out and preventing any kind of mental assault. He quickly and quietly opens the hatch and slides into the chamber.

Pudge immediately starts looking for any kind of panel he can remove so he can hardwire into cryo unit's computer systems, altogether avoiding any outside attempts to sever his connection.
OOC:
at this point Pudge is looking for a way to irreparably damage this whole cryo system. He would probably start by locating schematics, and isolating a single weak point in the hardware itself.
Last edited August 19, 2016 10:32 pm
Aug 20, 2016 3:44 pm
The wide--brimmed hat returns to Wilhelm's head slowly. With uncharacteristic care Wilhelm takes Lilen Armani's hand and places it on his hip before pulling her into position with a single quick motion. Burell Step? Or perhaps something from home? Erdain was never a beautiful place, but we both know it had its charms. Wilhelm smiles at her. But now, all our people can do is dance across the stars.
OOC:
I'm establishing now that Lilen and Wilhelm are both from Erdain: a sulfur mining volcano planet that had a catastrophic disaster when both were teenagers.
Last edited August 20, 2016 3:53 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.