Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Sep 9, 2016 12:45 pm
Serana is somewhat stunned by recent events. By the time she realises what's happening it may already be too late.

Rolls

Willpower - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Sep 13, 2016 1:15 pm
Pudge feels the psionic tendrils creeping into the back of his mind, looking for a foothold.

Rolls

Will Save - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Sep 16, 2016 3:55 pm
"Reading a mind" is something of a misnomer. Psions can, at most, exchange sentences or brief flashes of imagery and even then there's no guarantee they'll be interpreted accurately. Even the most disciplined of minds is a fragmented, disjointed thing, and it takes years of practise to discern anything coherent amidst all the noise.

But apparently Valon isn't troubled in the same ways as other psions. The trio are a shelf of books to him. He leafs through the pages of their thoughts quickly, casually, with little apparent effort. The feeling is bizarre and mercifully brief.

And afterwards, impossibly, Valon is holding Wilhelm's scythe, examining it quizzically. He never seemed to move from his position at the fore of the phase gate.

"Interesting. Little more than a toy, and yet in this backwards society it allows you to dominate in combat?" Valon gives it a skillful twirl. "To be expected. Primitive as you now are, you are nevertheless superior to the rest of the maggots wallowing in their own filth.

"You are of... Erdain, yes? Hah, of course. That makes you House Loydamon." Valon nods. "Erdain Loydamon was named Grandmaster for good reason. We are practically brothers-in-arms."

Valon turns to Serana. "It's muted beneath all those cogs, but you are plainly House Celanrul. I will not pretend that we were allies, but we never came to blows."

And Pudge. "Ah, the ever-engimatic House Gemorai..."

Valon stops. And frowns: no longer bored, but shocked. Perhaps even angry. "No. Wait. You don't just have the genetic markers of House Gemorai. You are Gemorai. Yes, I can feel the potential within. One of your... grandparents? No, perhaps closer! An immediate family member! One of them must have come from stasis. Explain yourself!"
OOC:
Wilhelm's scythe resource has been Compromised! He loses its +2 bonus to Melee.
Sep 17, 2016 6:27 pm
Wilhelm stands dumbstruck. He keeps staring at his empty hands and muttering to himself He didn't even move...
Last edited September 17, 2016 6:27 pm
Sep 22, 2016 10:26 am
Serana looks back and forth from Valon to Wilhelm and eventually processes what happened. She looks to Pudge pleadingly, as if looking for an answer. She's so far out of her depth that she feels as if she's drowning.
Sep 25, 2016 12:36 pm
Pudge is confounded. He looks at Wilhelm who is looking down at his hands. He glances over at Serana who is looking at him for answers. Looking back at Valon, he shakes his head trying to clear it and stumbles through his words: "Wh- what are you ta-? I don't understand what you're saying?"

Pudge grows frustrated as he continues unsuccessfully to try to understand what's going on. "How could I possibly explain myself when I haven't understand half the words you've just said? Why don't you explain YOURself? Waltzing in here from some other dimension or time or who knows where, making accusations that don't make any sense to anyone..."

At this point Pudge is on the verge of tears. He crosses his arms across his chest, trying simultaneously to look more confident and feel a bit safer. He stares at Valon through glossy eyes. "I don't know you. And I don't owe you shit."
Sep 25, 2016 8:02 pm
Valon is dumbstruck. Again the icy wind of his psi sweeps through the party's minds.

"You're not attempting to trick me." A statement, not a question. He's already corroborated it with his sweep. "You genuinely don't understand what I'm talking about, do you? None of you know? How long has it been?"

Valon's eyes flash. Pudge can feel a spike in infranet activity: Valon is interfacing with the facility's computer systems.

"I'm the first one to emerge at this hub. How long has it been since...? No. No, it can't be.

Ten thousand years?! That's ridiculous. I can't have been gone that long!"

He rifles through the party's thoughts again. He's getting increasingly rough, less considerate.

"A 'Schism'... the Unification failed?"

His rage, his confusion is palpable. It's boiling over, to the point that everyone nearby can feel it ebbing, growing. It's painful to be so close to it. And it's going to get worse.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Sep 26, 2016 3:05 pm
Wilhelm's anger boils with the influx of psi. Get out of my head! He rushes towards Valon. And give me back my damn scythe!
Sep 26, 2016 5:21 pm
Serana doesn't know if he's brave or foolhardy. But maybe with Wilhelm there's no real difference. She draws her sword in case Valon tries anything.
Sep 26, 2016 5:38 pm
"Wilhelm, wait!" Pudge seems a bit taller as his shout echoes among the thousands of cryopods. "Valon. You've been frozen for 10,000 years," Pudge says as more of a recap than a question. "Something happened. An alliance dissolved that was supposed to do something or solve something... and left you in the cold for MUCH longer than anticipated. Have I got it so far?"

Pudge takes a breath, as everyone slows, and the tension in the space intensifies.

"That's... Man, that's terrible. Seriously, it's really awful. And, frankly, there's nothing any of us can do to give you that time back. Or, anything else you've lost in the process." Pudge feels a profound sadness for this man and his incomprehensible loss. He feels tears beginning to well up. "But it's also not going to do anyone any good for us to try and throttle each other in the bottom of this abyss. So, rather than resorting to force," Pudge glances at Wilhelm and Serana, "Let's try to figure out what in the FUCK is going on. Yeah?"
Sep 26, 2016 8:53 pm
Serana doesn't sheathe her sword, but she does lower it slightly. "This planet somehow ended up named after you, if it's any consolation."
Sep 28, 2016 6:07 pm
Valon was apocalyptically angry, but Pudge's words temper his fury. "It was routine," Valon growls in response. "Establishing sleeper colonies in the wake of the evacuation: gates left buried on a hundred worlds, ready to be reactivated. Only we never returned. And, as you deduced, I was left in the Vault, frozen for aeons."

His gaze pans across the trio, his disgust obvious. "Something else came to dominate these worlds. Something beneath my notice." His psi pulses with obscene power...

And just like that, the party are paralysed. Valon walks away and the team can barely move their eyes to follow him.

"I shall head to the surface," he says, "and from the surface I shall return to the stars. I wish to see what has become of this sector."

He places the scythe at Wilhelm's feet. "More will come after me. Do as you will. My House is dead and gone and I care not what happens to the others."

He walks to the centre of the shaft. Sensing his wishes, one of the platforms disconnects from the racks on the wall and allows him to step aboard. It ascends at high speed.

The large pod that Valon arrived in is spirited off by an articulated arm that appears from nowhere. Behind it, the phasegate begins to hum, preparing for another transfer from the Vault proper...
OOC:

- Wilhelm's scythe resource has been returned.

- You've all been afflicted with a hard disable! You must roll VIT (but including your Psi rank if you have it) DC18 to shrug off the neural effect, otherwise the only way you can move again is to pick a Resource to Compromise, giving it up for a little while.

(If you can't think of a good thematic reason to sacrifice a Resource, we can instead give you a generic -1 to all rolls exhaustion debuff if you prefer)

Rolls

Pudge's appeal to rationality - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Valon's psi takedown (DCs 14, 17, 15) - (1d20+8)

(19) + 8 = 27

Sep 29, 2016 2:03 pm
OOC:
Damn. OK, going with disabling my +1 to Wil resource
"What the hell do we do?" Serana sounds uncharacteristically stressed. Not even her fight with Armani compared to the feeling of powerlessness when Valon paralised her. No psion, councillor or renegade or anything, even came close.

She flexes one hand and then the other... movement is coming back but slowly. Serana looks at the phase gate. "Do we try to stop it?"
Last edited September 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Rolls

VIT - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Sep 29, 2016 4:12 pm
Wilhelm growls in anger as he struggles against the paralysis. He falls to his knees and grabs his scythe. He goes silent as he hits the ground, standing a few moments later. His voice is deadly even. "First, I'm going to smash this gate. Second, I'm going to walk out of this Vault. Third, I'm going bury Valon on his own god forsaken planet."
Last edited September 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Rolls

Escape - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Oct 15, 2016 10:08 pm
Pudge's mind is wracked with pain as he is overcome by Valon's psionic attack. He struggles against the intrusion, but is no match for Valon's power. His mind is a fog. After the pain subsides, the fog doesn't lift, and Pudge feels a little bit blind to the minds of the other two still in the room.
OOC:
sacrificing Psi resource
Last edited November 2, 2016 3:19 pm

Rolls

VIT + Psi - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Oct 16, 2016 3:50 pm
The team's communicators burst into life. "This is Chief Cáceres," the voice crackles and pops, barely coherent. "If you're hearing this: you're one of the few people left on this planet that I can trust. The Mercs are fighting over the Ivory Cliff military base.

"I don't have the resources to go in: it's a warzone. Ivory Cliff has the planet's only phase transceiver but it also has our only anti-ship cannon, and the renegades want to hold the city hostage with it.

"By the time you hear this... I'll probably be dead."

The message starts to repeat. It's a recording.

The phasegate thrums more loudly. Tendrils of energy arc between its prongs.
OOC:
New arrivals will soon emerge from the phasegate.

The loyalist Mercs and renegade Mercs are warring over a military base in the mountains: a base with a phase transceiver and, more pressingly, an anti-air cannon that the renegades want to repurpose. They intend to bombard the city.

Valon is heading to the spaceport to escape the planet.

The party only has time to stop two of these things from happening.
Nov 2, 2016 2:48 am
Wilhelm stops in his tracks between his recovering party and the soon to be shattered gate. His grip on the scythe within his fists tightens. Hard. He screams with rage and throws the scythe at the portal.
OOC:
Because the portal is operated by psi (if I'm wrong my strength and melee are just 2 each) I'm gonna use Will and Psi.

Rolls

break the damn thing - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Nov 2, 2016 3:09 pm
Serana slashes the portal as hard as she possibly can!
OOC:
I guess Iam trying to attack the other side of the machine to Wilhelm if that makes any difference

edit - oh good grief. That is just sad.
Last edited November 2, 2016 3:10 pm

Rolls

Melee roll - (1d20+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Nov 2, 2016 3:27 pm
Even though Pudge's psionic abilities seem to have been muted, he still has a residual link to Valon from the overpowering attack.

"My psi has gone dark... but, for some reason, I can still feel Valon's mind. He really is leaving the planet. Or, at least, that is his intention for the moment."

While Pudge is talking, he is frantically searching for a way to disable the phase gate mechanically, rather than cutting it into pieces. But, he just can't. For some reason, losing his psionic connection to the others has thrown his mind into a whirlwhind. He can't think straight, and nothing seems to be working.
OOC:
Crikey.
Last edited November 2, 2016 3:29 pm

Rolls

Hack the Phase Gate and shut it down (KNO + Hack skill + Tech talent) - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Nov 2, 2016 3:29 pm
OOC:
Any way to buy a reroll? :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.