Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Nov 2, 2016 4:19 pm
OOC:
Haha, thinking the same thing.
Nov 2, 2016 10:21 pm
Serana's sword snaps back, nearly jarring from her hands. Only Wilhelm's strike succeeds in causing the phase gate any kind of damage: sickly purple light flashes from the slice in its plating. The machine makes a low, mournful sound. Pudge can tell that the arrival has been delayed but not yet stopped.
OOC:
Hmm. I'd say if you burn an Edge point you gain a reroll and can opt to take 10 on that reroll or roll it as normal. Note that you won't get a rest period between now and the military base, so if you burn an EP it'll be a while before you regenerate it!
Nov 8, 2016 1:58 pm
OOC:
No brainer then. Definitely spending the edge.
Angry at her own weakness, Serana takes a step back and swings again with all the speed and force she can muster.
Nov 15, 2016 4:36 pm
Serana's sword shears off one of the device's prongs. It reverberates, buzzing angrily, a gout of purple flame licking from the opening and sending glowing motes swirling throughout the chamber.

The air feels thicker and it's hard to concentrate. The gate is close to a catastrophic malfunction.
Nov 15, 2016 5:24 pm
"Umm... we should probably go."
OOC:
how do we get out of here? can/should I try to summon a pod for us again?
Nov 17, 2016 1:26 am
OOC:
Of course! The alternative is trying to climb up, which would take impossibly good Mobility rolls.

Tech roll as usual, DC13. If Pudge fails, he still summons the pod, but there'll be a nasty surprise when the party reaches the top...
Nov 18, 2016 4:49 pm
At first Serana is pleased with herself. Then, realising what's happening, she mutters "Oh. Should have seen that coming..."
Nov 18, 2016 5:32 pm
Wilhelm grabs his scythe and heads runs back to the group. "Pudge, we got a ride?"
Nov 19, 2016 4:01 pm
"To be honest, I have no idea. But, here's hoping."

Pudge scrambles to try and get anything to come pick them up so they can get out of here .

Rolls

Hail a cab - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Nov 20, 2016 1:46 pm
The phase gate rumbles continuously, the floor pulsing like a living thing. Mercifully a pod pulls into the departure bay and the party wastes no time in clambering on to it, holding on tight as Pudge sends the unit hurtling back to surface level.

Explosion after explosion sounds from below. Plates and cables and miscellaneous chunks of machinery fall loose from the sides of the shaft and tumble into the depths. Flashes of light punctuate each and every detonation. By the time the pod reaches the upper levels the reaction is still ongoing, the blasts still audible, their reverberations still felt underfoot despite the distance.

The main chamber hardly offers reassurance. It's a mess of blood and scrap metal. Everything, from the pods themselves to innocuous railings and walkways, has been broken and battered beyond recognition. Armani is nowhere to be seen. And the tunnel out...

Is packed with bodies. Dozens of Mercenaries lie mangled and maimed. An armoured personnel carrier partially blocks the exit, split down the middle.

One Merc still breathes, although from the looks of things it hurts him to do so. The blood and ash makes it impossible to tell whether his uniform is that of a loyalist or rogue. He's clutching his side and staring into the distance, muttering over and over to himself:

"What is he?"
Nov 26, 2016 10:18 pm
Serana lets out a whistle. She steps out the tunnel to check the immediate area keeping a particular look out for a still-functional vehicle.

Then she steps back to the entrance and kneels close to the Mercenary.

"Let me guess. Weird guy with white hair tore through you all?"
Nov 27, 2016 11:49 pm
The Merc nods. He doesn't look at Serana, he's still staring ahead. "We intercepted their comm, heard that Pirle had ordered squadrons to advance on the Vault site." He takes a deep, ragged breath. "So we headed here too. Big stand-off. Loyalists and traitors trying to face each other down. We got no idea who's going to fire first, we only know that... that something's going down in the Vault."

Pudge has been doing some communication hacking of his own. It now sounds like Commander Pirle, leader of the rogue Mercenaries, is directing the assault on Ivory Cliff in person.

"Then this... this man, this thing comes out of the tunnel," the wounded Mercenary continues. "Someone starts firing, dunno if it was one of ours or one of theirs, some kid must have been twitchy... and he starts killing us. All of us. With his bare hands..."

There's half a dozen APCs positioned around the Vault entrance, but on closer inspection Serana can see one of them has suffered only superficial damage. It looks like Valon punched a hole through its side and pulled someone out through the gap. It's a hideous mess, yes, but the APC will still function. It's hardly a dropship, but it will certainly reach the Ivory Cliff base faster than a pedestrian.

Something feels wrong about this and Serana places it: this was bait. She knows a trap when she sees one. There are far more dead loyalists on the ground than renegades. Somehow Pirle knew what was going to happen here and deliberately lured her enemies to the site.

Meanwhile, while surveying the carnage, Wilhelm can hear muffled cries from beneath an upturned personnel carrier.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Serana insight - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Nov 28, 2016 1:06 am
Wilhelm wordlessly walks over to inspect the noise further. Where is she?
Nov 28, 2016 9:13 pm
The personnel carrier lies on its side, a beast laid low by some vicious predator. Wilhelm circles round it to seek the source of the sound and finds a woman struggling to free herself.

"Falstaff? What the hell came out of that Vault?"

It's Reave. One of her legs is pinned beneath the overturned APC and one of her eyes is swollen shut.

"I saw the Mercs arrive and I hid myself, waiting, then Armani comes running down the tunnel! She had shrouded herself, the Mercs couldn't see her, but I could sense her and I thought she..." Reave swallows, as if realising what she's saying is ridiculous. "I thought she was coming for me. But she ignores me. She keeps running. And then, well..." She gestures a bruised hand at the APC, as if it's self-explanatory.

"He was some sort of ancient, wasn't he? From before the Schism? God, looking at his mind was like staring at the sun. Armani fled him. They must have fought, and then she fled! That terrifies me." Reave shivers. "So is, uh, the cyborg with you? I can't exactly lift this up myself."
Nov 29, 2016 4:03 pm
Wilhelm turns and shouts, "Serana, need some help." He then turns back to Reave, "His name is Valon, and he gets to live today."
Nov 29, 2016 6:57 pm
"What is it, Wilhelm?" Serana walks over. "Reave? Damn, someone hit you hard. And then parked on you afterwards by the looks of it."

She hunkers down and tries to lift the vehicle up enough for Reave to be freed.

Rolls

STR roll (assume melee doesnt apply - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Nov 29, 2016 10:56 pm
"Did you say Valon? Like the name of the planet? This gets weirder and weirder."

Serana grants Reave just enough time to pull herself free. Her shin and ankle are mangled: there's no chance of her walking on it. She swears and winces. She reaches out to touch the wound and then thinks better of it.

"Thanks. I guess I'm sitting this one out. Although..." Reave's eyes land on the mostly-intact APC that Serana noticed earlier. "I guess I could be your driver, if needed.

"And my psi could certainly help you with your communications. If Pudge needs the assistance, that is."
Dec 1, 2016 1:35 am
Serana has no love for Enforcers. Especially Enforcers who allied themselves with corrupt Councillors. But she'd admit that anyone who can go up against Wilhelm without instantly exploding into blood might be useful to have.

"What do you think?" She asks the others. "I'm all for leaving her behind... to recover. But if you two think she can make herself useful, not going to argue. We're pressed for time as it is."
Dec 1, 2016 3:13 am
"That Valon's dude wrecked what little control I had over my psi abilities. So, I'd feel like someone was watching out for my blind spot if she came along." Pudge pauses. "If we can trust her to watch our backs. I tend to think we can."
Dec 1, 2016 2:13 pm
"As long as she doesn't slow us down. We've wasted enough time talking as is."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.