Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Dec 1, 2016 8:52 pm
Twenty minutes later...

"I had no idea there were this many Mercs on the planet," Reave murmurs, as she drives the APC towards the battlefield. "Look at them all."

The calmness of the sea is at odds with the abject chaos of the coastline. A loyalist dropship crashes against the rocks in an avalanche of fiery debris. It is fortunate, perhaps, that the APC is such a small and innocuous target by comparison, able to brave the winding roads and approach Ivory Cliff from the rear. The sound of gunfire is constant, punctuated by the occasional rumble of heavier ordnance.

The cliffs are a dirty orange colour, stained from decades of fumes from the now-disused industrial estate that sits on decaying ocean platforms. The base itself is a concrete pyramid surrounded by watchtowers: and at the apex of the pyramid sits a massive cannon. Conglomerate-era tech or not, it's still capable of laying waste to the planet Valon's capital. At the moment it sits idle: neither faction appears to have seized control of it as yet.

Two of the watchtowers begin exchanging fire, chipping at each other's fortifications until they're both ablaze. Every section of the ramparts seems to have its own personal war going on.

"League-issue armour works well against explosives and bullets but plasma weapons are another story. To say nothing of fighting someone who has the exact same tactical training as you." Reave shakes her head. "What a bloodbath."

A crater suddenly appears in the road. Reave swerves violently to avoid it, and then has to curve around another, and another. Someone on the battlements must have noticed the APC's approach and decided to put an end to it.

"We have to get out of their line of sight!" she shouts.

Too late. A plasma blast clips the carrier's antigrav module and it falls to the road, ploughing a furrow before it smashes through a wall with bone-shaking, teeth-rattling force.

This is something that people tend to notice, but the occupants of the courtyard are too concerned with trying to kill each other to care about the sudden arrival of an APC. A dozen Mercs face off against a smaller force of psionic Adepts and power-armoured Arbiters. This is one of Ivory Cliff's perimeter supply depots, but its current purpose seems to be a graveyard. Moments after the party's arrival one of the Arbiters cuts a Mercenary down the middle.

It's Lyra Pollec, the Arbiter that Pudge talked to at the Diamond Cavern bar: she must have received Chief Cáceres' last transmission. She and her allies are cornered by a far superior force. Lyra's orange-highlighted power armour now sports smears of black and red. High Council initiates lie motionless alongside countless renegade Mercs.

The surviving Mercenaries are clearly the elites, veterans of many a campaign. At their rear stands a towering cyborg, a nine-foot-tall powerhouse with an oddly tiny head. And not just any towering cyborg: his insignia shows he's a major. He's packing a Hellfire cannon, a Domarian-made heavy plasma weapon that's a cut above the usual League fare.

The party watches as a squadron of exhausted Adepts tries to maintain a telekinetic field against the enemy's constant barrage. The Major turns to them and adds his own fire to the volley, a withering cascade of bolts that leaves them smoking on the ground. Now it's only the three Arbiters left standing.

http://i.imgur.com/MIrhEnh.png
OOC:
The party acts first!

Special rules:
* Reave's psi aura grants the party a +1 bonus to all rolls. Should a party member roll a critical, she'll chip in with an added effect of her own.
(Note that while the APC tile counts as heavy cover, the enemy will attempt to target her once she makes her presence known.)

* Should you roll an Exploit, the Major will immediately spend it and fire on your position, dealing a 2HP hit that ignores cover.
Dec 3, 2016 12:12 am
Wilhelm, who was hanging off of the side of the APC at the time of the crash, grabs the broken passenger door and holds it up as a shield before shouting behind him. "Serana! Rush the BORG! I'll take the squads. Pudge! Melt the damn cannon before it melts us! Disable their weapons and cover Reave!" The crazed outworlder then shield charges the nearest cluster of mercs before dropping the door to bring his scythe to bear.

Rolls

Scythe Attack - (1d20+8, 1d10+4)

1d20+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

1d10+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

Dec 3, 2016 11:33 am
Serana nods. When Wilhelm makes his move she follows soon after, dashing out the APC and straight down the centre of the courtyard heading for the Major.

She tries to think of something clever to say. Some sort of taunt or battlecry. But then she sees the dead initiates on the ground and doesn't feel like saying anything. Some of them are barely out of their teens.

Drawing her sword as she runs, Serana puts herself between the enemy cyborg and the rest of the fight.
OOC:
Full move. How does melee engagement work exactly? I can do this right, run through an enemy's tile
Dec 3, 2016 7:51 pm
OOC:
Yeah that's a legal move. Even if you're in or passing through the same tile as an NPC you don't count as being in melee combat with them until you or they attempt a melee attack, and since it's the first turn none of the enemies have made a guard action to block your progress either.
Dec 6, 2016 2:42 am
Pudge quickly peeks out from behind the wreckage to locate the giant cyborg and his giant gun in hopes of finding something to help his net search for the weapon's signal. As he does, he catches the bright orange swaths on the edges and lines of the armor of the arbiter's armor. "Lyra?!? Y'all hold on! May not seem like much, but my friends are crazy, so, you know!"

Pudge finds the Hellfire cannon's ident without much difficulty and proceeds to remove the limiters then loop the weapon's power cycle. In about three seconds, the cannon's power source overheats, and the large gun powers down.
OOC:
I don't think Disabling Virus requires a roll, right?
Last edited December 6, 2016 2:42 am
Dec 6, 2016 2:31 pm
OOC:
Yeah, no roll needed. I mean I suppose you can roll but generally I just give it an assumed difficulty of 10 + KNO + Tech, i.e. 16 for when Pudge uses it.

Arbiter 1: HP 3/6
Arbiter 2: HP 6/6
Lyra: HP 7/7

(these stats are pretty terrible for Arbiters, but this is assuming they're exhausted after a prolonged battle)

Left squadron: (I really should've numbered them!) HP 7/8 (2 per unit)
Right squadron: HP 6/8 (2 per unit)

Wilhelm: HP 6/7
Serana: HP 5/6
http://i.imgur.com/3fDiBNz.png

The Mercenaries are taken aback by Wilhelm's onslaught but they are nonetheless veterans of many a melee. One of their number is wounded but the others rush in without hesitation, hacking at Wilhelm with buzzing vibro-knives.

The party's arrival seems to stir something within the Arbiters. Lyra and her two comrades surge forward with their long glaives, a furious assault that manages to take out a Mercenary. The Mercs strike back swiftly but fail to penetrate the Arbiters' damaged (but still formidable) power armour.

Lyra looks elated but it's an all-too momentary expression. One of her allies stumbles, gauntlet clamped over a smoking hole in his shoulder. The three sharpshooters, unfazed by the chaotic melee, had calmly converged and combined their fire. It seems that together they have the means of beating any armour.

The Major steps back as Serana charges in. Ignoring her, he attempts to target Wilhelm... only for his cannon to vent streaks of exhaust and clank and groan. The Major gives it a cursory glance, realises the overheated gun is far beyond his technical skill, and throws it far away from himself.

He looks to Serana with dead eyes. Durable ocular prosthetics sacrificing aesthetics for function. The rest of his face is similarly muted: when his lip pulls up slightly it's impossible to tell whether it's meant to be a smile or a sneer. His head must be mostly metal.

He clenches his massive fists. Rectangular blades slide out from housings mounted across his knuckles. The Major clashes the two together, raising sparks, and lunges at Serana.

Rolls

Arbiter attacks - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d20+4)

1d20+3 : (20) + 3 = 23

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

Arbiter damage - (1d8+1, 1d8+1, 3d6)

1d8+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

1d8+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

3d6 : (145) = 10

Merc volley combined attack - (3d4+6)

(422) + 6 = 14

Major's KNO attempt - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Left squad attack/damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+4)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d8+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Right squad attack/damage (down 1 unit) - (1d20+3, 1d8+3)

1d20+3 : (17) + 3 = 20

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Major's melee - (1d20+6, 2d10+1)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

2d10+1 : (25) + 1 = 8

Dec 7, 2016 1:15 am
Blood drips down Wilhelm's arm from the slice in his shoulder. The red liquid seeps between his fingers and the handle of the scythe. His uninjured arm moves up to adjust his hat. "Hello there, hope you don't mind dying today." The dancing blades of Wilhelm and the mercs formed a waltz of ever increasing tempo.

Rolls

dance - (1d20+8, 1d10+4)

1d20+8 : (11) + 8 = 19

1d10+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

Dec 7, 2016 2:19 pm
He's faster than he looks. Serana is worried.

"Bashing them together like that is going to ruin the edge, you know."

She swings at the major.
OOC:
edit - I forgot we had that plus 1 bonus from Reave. Is that +1 to both or just to hit?
Last edited December 7, 2016 2:20 pm

Rolls

full attack - (1d20+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

damage - (1d10+11)

(7) + 11 = 18

Dec 7, 2016 3:10 pm
OOC:
okay, so here's what I want to do: seeing the Major discard the cannon, Pudge wants to utilize his Street Runner resource and retrieve the weapon, then return to the relative safety of the APC.

He has no doubt that he can get it working again, and quickly, since he's the one who broke it. But, I'm imagining that he's probably not strong enough to wield it while firing...? In that case, maybe he can find a way to mount it to the crashed vehicle for stability? Or, maybe just give it to Serana?

What do you think? How should I proceed?
Dec 7, 2016 3:53 pm
OOC:
ohh genius idea and important question: is it possible for Str 7 Serana to pick up the cannon and throw it all the way to Pudge's tile?

I spent my whole turn which maybe wasn't wise but if I had to I could aways spend an Edge point for a bonus action!
Dec 7, 2016 8:36 pm
OOC:
Hmm. It's a massive weapon, Encumbrance 2 with a STR 4/Tech 1 usage requirement. Pudge could barely lift it let alone wield it. He'd have to drag it back to the APC but yes he could definitely fire it after mounting it on the vehicle.

If Serana wants to burn an EP and throw it to Pudge, I'll allow it. I'd declare that a combined skill check:

The throw can't fail, but if Serana's STR check meets DC11, Pudge gets a +1 bonus to his action. D16+, he gets a +2 bonus. This represents Serana's ability to land the weapon as close to Pudge as possible, expediting his task.

In turn Pudge can't fail to reactivate the gun, but if his KNO+Tech check is DC14+, he gets to fire it in the same turn as he reactivates it. Doesn't have to wait for the next one.
Dec 8, 2016 5:14 pm
OOC:
Spendign edge point, throwing the gun

I know that Pudge hasn't had a chance to tell Serana his plan yet but I'm doing the roll now as technically it needs to be a part of my turn right? So whipstache can narrate what happens. This is just to save us from having to split this up into even more posts!

Rolls

str - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Dec 8, 2016 6:25 pm
Pudge messages Serana over comms, "Get me that cannon!"

Serana slashes through the Major's defenses, leaving a large gash in her enemy. She deftly pirouette around a retaliatory blade attack, and as the Major is reorienting himself she flings the massive firearm towards the APC, landing it just a few feet from the truck.

Pudge doesn't waste any time. Staying low, he ducks out of the carrier and sprints the the cannon, dragging it to the front of the APC. He flicks the switch on the wench mounted to the ram bar, and as it lets out the cable, he winds it around the cannon, securing it tightly. He then tears off a long strip of leather and fashions a harness with long reins to be able to turn the gun and fire it. He climbs back into the cab of the truck through the broken windshield, suffering only minor scrapes from the shards of glass. He logs back into the cannons firmware and reverses the power cycling. The weapon stops burping steam and begins to hum.
OOC:
KNO + Tech +2 (Serana) +1 (Reave)

So, looks like I can shoot it. What does it do?
Last edited December 8, 2016 6:28 pm

Rolls

Fire it back up! - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Dec 8, 2016 6:55 pm
OOC:
1d20 + FOC to hit, 3d6+4 damage, half damage on a miss, bypasses 5 armour. HOW the Hellfire cannon fires is up to you but I imagine it can shift between various different fire modes, resembling anything from a minigun to a bazooka.
Dec 8, 2016 8:21 pm
Pudge flicks through the settings on the weapon. For the smallest fraction, he considers going to pull a user manual from the net, then thinks better of it. Shredder mode sounds right. He lets the gun fly.
OOC:
He's aiming at the sharpshooters in the middle of the courtyard who are not being engaged. I picked a burst and/or frag setting hoping to be able to target multiple units.
Last edited December 8, 2016 8:22 pm

Rolls

Finding out what "Shredder" means - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Shredding damage - (3d6+4)

(542) + 4 = 15

Dec 9, 2016 6:33 pm
http://imgur.com/w1etaSD.png
OOC:

Arbiter 1: HP 3/6
Arbiter 2: HP 5/6
Lyra: HP 7/7

Left squadron: HP 4/8 (2 per unit)
Right squadron: HP 4/8 (2 per unit)

Sharpshooter 1: HP 3/4
Sharpshooter 2: ELIMINATED!
Sharpshooter 3: HP 3/4

Major: HP 11/14

Wilhelm: HP 6/7
Serana: HP 3/6 EP 1/3 (from the throw and from spending Edge prior to encounter)
Pudge: HP 6/8 (from using an Empower for Disabling Virus and then the attack just now)
The "Shredder" mode is aptly named. The monstrously buzzing Hellfire cannon drills through the sharpshooter's lines: two fall flat and are merely wounded but the other all but vanishes, gory leftovers staining the ground. The unfazed survivors still manage to line up a retaliatory shot but the APC's heavy plating saves Pudge from serious harm.

The gouge on the Major's chest would kill most soldiers twice over but his face remains as blank as ever. His assault seems stronger, swifter... Serana parries the first few strikes but soon his wild slashes start to hit through sheer persistence. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in speed and raw power.

The Arbiters fight on, skewering another foe. Combat knives fall upon their armour but fail to cause any real injury.

Wilhelm advances as if seeking to finish off the wounded Merc. As the others close in from behind, Wilhelm spins round and slices through an attacker's arm as he raises to strike. Veterans or not, Wilhelm is beyond the rogues.
OOC:
Wilhelm's opponents just rolled an Exploit! He can spend it to assume success on his next action against them, or opt to use it like Priority (ongoing +2 bonus to hit or to damage).

Rolls

Left squad attack/damage - (1d20+3, 1d8+3)

1d20+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Major's melee - (1d20+6, 2d10+2)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

2d10+2 : (87) + 2 = 17

Arbiter attacks - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d20+4)

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d20+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

Arbiter damages - (1d8+1, 1d8+1, 3d61)

1d8+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

1d8+1 : (5) + 1 = 6

3d61 : (156051) = 126

Lyra's actual damage instead of 3d61 (??) - (3d6)

(613) = 10

Right squad attack/damage - (1d20+2, 1d8+2)

1d20+2 : (14) + 2 = 16

1d8+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Sharpshooter's combined attack - (1d20+5, 2d4+4)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

2d4+4 : (43) + 4 = 11

Dec 9, 2016 8:53 pm
"Tisk Tisk, it would seem y'all have a bad case of two left feet." Wilhelm's blade simply continues it's dance, switching now from a waltz to a foxtrot.
OOC:
Just take a +2 on damage for now (+8 total). So I forget what crits do but I'm pretty sure that's curtains for them.
Last edited December 9, 2016 8:55 pm

Rolls

cut em up - (1d20+6, 1d10+6)

1d20+6 : (20) + 6 = 26

1d10+6 : (1) + 6 = 7

Dec 10, 2016 1:12 am
"This one is pretty nasty," Serana whispers into her comm. "I hit him hard but he's barely scratched."

Serana goes on the defensive. The main thing is keeping the major's attention away from the others.
OOC:
minor action guard (what is that, +2 to defence?) then standard attack

Rolls

standard (+1 reave) - (1d20+10)

(13) + 10 = 23

damage - (1d10+10)

(5) + 10 = 15

Dec 19, 2016 4:20 pm
Even though the group hasn't been together for a very long time, all things considered, they have seen more than their share of combat. So the subtle shifts in Serana's posture to take a more defensive stance do not escape Pudge's notice. He quickly accesses her power armor's control panel and makes a few adjustments to the oscillation rate of her torsion couplers, sacrificing the smallest bit of attacking damage for some extra quickness in deflecting the oncoming onslaught by the Major.

This process takes him a few seconds, and when he finishes, he starts the cannon whirring up again.

Enhance (Encounter power): Full action. Grant item/machine +2 to any stat and grant it an aspect ability.
OOC:
So, what exactly qualifies as an "aspect ability"?
Dec 19, 2016 6:13 pm
OOC:
At its simplest an aspect ability simply means an effect that's tied to an attribute: the aspect is lost if the attribute suffers an injury. Aspect abilities tend to be weaker and/or more specific than the stat bonuses granted by Resources, so perhaps something along the lines of a further +2 bonus when defending against a single nominated target, e.g. in this instance the Major? But if either you or Albionest has a suggestion, go for it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.